Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Kiyaman

Legend
I "RISKED MY CASE" being wrong with Melo....(that's right I said risked and not rest) and Melo proves me right as I didn't have the full article at hand. I must say it was obviously too easy as I see right through his veneer.

WOW this dude will go down as the most overrated basketball player ever when it's all said and done.

Yeah, when Melo hang up his sneakers, I put Melo-performance above T-Mac, and next to the 1970's Ice-Man

Stop with the arm injury, the only injury ISO-Melo have is selfish-ballhoggin
If my arm wasnt above 65% .. I would not be taking 25 shots, or playing 42 minutes a game.
I would be resting my arm by workin on my teammates scoring .. running ball-movement plays where I screen or pick for a teammate .. Plus to stop certain sports annoucers from sayin I'm a CHUCKER

Kiyaman

Legend
I wonder if Dolan's watching ISO-Melo on "Shaq n da Fools"

TNT Kenny Smith, Barkley, and Shaq, are conspiring that ISO-Melo's a CHUCKER .. can u believe that LOL

metrocard

Legend
La La's nothing but a starve for attention C List Hollywood Bumette. A lot of NBA players have beautiful looking wives.

LaLa is actually natural though.

1942aba046aa11e386d422000ae91435_8.jpg

be4ed8ea449c11e3877122000a1fbc4f_8.jpg

2782d04e11d211e38dc022000ae90fd2_7.jpg

b677d056e1df11e288bf22000a9f13cb_7.jpg

lala1f.jpg

Kiyaman

Legend
I would have to call up all my ex-wives to explain La La big-eyes, and outstanding great shape to fit her round butt is Sunshine sunshine SUNSHINE...

Broadway

All Star
Much like Melo.....La La is very overrated please figure out how to get yourselves out of the Melo world for the love of being a STAN....

porschla-coleman_0.jpg

jimkcchief88

All Star
KNICK fans in a nutshell: complain about your best player um um um:(. I guess the scoring title wasn't enough....I mean STAT is on the BENCH making STARBURY $$$$ and that's Melo's fault. When MeLo leaves at the end of the season and we are into our 10th rebuild in 11 years chasing the next great white hope don't say s***t cause it's what you wanted. I happen like this teams toughness. Give em a chance to learn to play together and gel....

Kiyaman

Legend
KNICK fans in a nutshell: complain about your best player um um um:(. I guess the scoring title wasn't enough....I mean STAT is on the BENCH making STARBURY $$$$ and that's Melo's fault. When MeLo leaves at the end of the season and we are into our 10th rebuild in 11 years chasing the next great white hope don't say s***t cause it's what you wanted. I happen like this teams toughness. Give em a chance to learn to play together and gel....

Did the 2004 to 2010 Denver Nuggets Gell, or did they just win reg-season games from ISO-Melo high scoring.
Thats far away from a title shot. Dolan only cared bout the market $$$ of Melo's scoring hype in MSG.

This season is a crap-shoot .500 .. and we need our 2014. 1st round pick back we gave up for Melo, and the 2nd rounder we gave up for Barg is in question .......

bigapple

Starter
Only what i demand from MELO is more passing to teammates and limit cruchtime

each quarter which is coming to end MELO have ball why?

each game which is starting @ MSG MELO is shooting 1st

i can say that he is playing with pressure over Lebron and i dont get why just dont play own game.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I really don't see Melo as the problem, someone help me out here.

I know we gutted our roster for Melo which leads to the roster we have today but,

He's been playing well for a guy with a messed up arm.

I've got to side with you on this one. I'm not really a Melo fan but I respect him. My criticism isn't so much with him but with the offensive strategy of letting him jack up shots for 40 mins at will. Doesn't seem like a sustainable strategy. But, I don't really want to leave our team in the hands of JR ether. With Amare's chronic injuries there's no one else.

Melo's going to be Melo. Everyone else has to play some serious defense and take care of the damn ball. Between Meta, Shumpert and Kmart there are enough defenders for the Knicks to do better and still allow Melo to jack up his 40 shots.

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer
Did the 2004 to 2010 Denver Nuggets Gell, or did they just win reg-season games from ISO-Melo high scoring.
Thats far away from a title shot. Dolan only cared bout the market $$$ of Melo's scoring hype in MSG.

This season is a crap-shoot .500 .. and we need our 2014. 1st round pick back we gave up for Melo, and the 2nd rounder we gave up for Barg is in question .......

Well the post-Melo Nuggets have just won regular season games and still have not gotten out of the first round of the playoffs and haven't gotten closer to a title. Remember when the Melo trade was made that the Nuggets were suppose to take off with all the young talent and assets they acquired?

Sometimes a fan's hatred for player can distort judgement a little. Whether you hate or love Melo, that's one thing. But a crap-shoot .500 team that is one season removed from 54 wins seems to based on more hatred for Melo than basketball reason. Will this team win 54 games? Probably not. But they are certainly better that a crap-shoot .500 team as you so eloquently put it.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I dont think Melo deserves to be bood. Not yet. He is still the best player of our team and its not even close. One of the best offensive players in the world. Thats a fact. I used to be his biggest fan since his denver days, mostly due to his outstanding offensive skills. When he is on, and his shots are falling, he is fun to watch.
But even i am getting tired of his iso, selfish, ignoring his teammates, trigger happy game.
What he needs to do is, play better D, get more rebounds(he is getting better at that lately, attack the basket instead of settling for long shots and most importanly, make his teammates better.
I doubt he is reading our posts on this forum, or cares what knick fans have to say, but thats what our coaches job is.
Can Woodson change Melos mentality and make him a team player? I know G. Karl couldnt do it in Denver, but Melo was a kid.
He is a grown man now in his prime and according to him he wants to win the title.
I still think Woody is not the right coach to do it.

skisloper

Starter
I dont think Melo deserves to be bood. Not yet. He is still the best player of our team and its not even close. One of the best offensive players in the world. Thats a fact. I used to be his biggest fan since his denver days, mostly due to his outstanding offensive skills. When he is on, and his shots are falling, he is fun to watch.
But even i am getting tired of his iso, selfish, ignoring his teammates, trigger happy game.
What he needs to do is, play better D, get more rebounds(he is getting better at that lately, attack the basket instead of settling for long shots and most importanly, make his teammates better.
I doubt he is reading our posts on this forum, or cares what knick fans have to say, but thats what our coaches job is.
Can Woodson change Melos mentality and make him a team player? I know G. Karl couldnt do it in Denver, but Melo was a kid.
He is a grown man now in his prime and according to him he wants to win the title.
I still think Woody is not the right coach to do it.

Of course its Woody's job to control the offense and reign in Melo.......
As Woody did in Atlanta ISO-JOE was his offense.The question is does Woody want ISO Melo in NY or does Woody have no choice as Kiya as pointed out its Melo's team....

Melo is the team leader and by him jacking up so many shots its sets the tone for the rest of the team.......JR will shoot 17 times despite shooting below 35%. Felton has become an ugly chucker that also is putting up 15 shots..Look at Hardaway as a rookie chucking up 12-13 shots and going 0-7 from 3 point range,,,,,

Either way this is on Melo....
Guys feel they will not have the opportunity to shoot so when they get the ball they chucks.....or they follow Captains Melo's lead with shoot the ball as much as you can....

No matter what our offense runs through Melo and its up to him to set a precedent for this Knicks team.

Can you ever see Norris Cole his rookie year shooting 0-5 for 3 pointers in a game and then putting up 2 more three-pointers after that,,,,,,,,,,

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Well, there is no such thread because Melo isn't a born leader. He may be a top scorer or a franchise player, but he isn't a born leader. And that's one of the many problems these Knicks have. Last year we had Kidd and Sheed who both are natural leaders and have championship experience, now we're relying on Melo and Felton to fill that role while they clearly lack leadership.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
I think it starts with practice.

every scrimmage, potato head should have mwp, shump, and Pablo. double and triple team melo until he pass.

for defensive efforts potato head should reward them with fat free yogurt ice cream.

I bet mwp love yogurt ice cream.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo is not the ball hog Kiyaman says he is

According to this Business Insider article Melo is not even in the top 20 list of ball hogs in the NBA. Melo's stats if you are interested are 70.2 touches per game/43.8 passes per game = 63% which while below the league average of 70% is a far cry of what you would expect from such an elite scorer whose primary job is not to pass the ball. Check out the new stats page on NBA.com mentioned in the article, the stats take advantage of the new camera technology at the arenas and give the NBA far more stats than they have had before.

http://www.businessinsider.com/biggest-ball-hogs-in-nba-2013-11

The Biggest Ball Hogs In The NBA

Tony Manfred Nov. 7, 2013, 12:57 PM 9,205 1

brook-lopez-brooklyn-nets.jpg
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Who are the biggest ball hogs in the NBA? And how do we figure out who they are? In the past we've had to use things like shot attempts per game and assist rate to measure the degree to which a player hogs the ball.
If you don't have a lot of assists you must not be passing, the logic goes. And if you're taking a lot of shots, it inherently means you're not helping your teammates get shots.
But these stats are only tangentially related to the one thing that, by definition, makes a player a ball hog — he doesn't pass the ball.
To figure out the NBA's biggest ball hogs, we'd need raw data on which players pass the ball the least.
Now, thanks to the new camera tracking technology that the NBA installed in every arena, we have that data.
The NBA's awesome new stats site has data on touches per game and passes per game. To determine the league's biggest ball hogs, we came up with a simple formula called pass rate. It goes like this:
Pass rate = (Passes per game) / (Touches per game)

This is the percentage of time a player passes when he gets the ball. The higher the percentage, the more unselfish a player is. The lower the percentage, the more of a ball hog a player is.
Based on that formula, here are the 10 biggest ball hogs in the NBA (min. 20 minutes per game):

1. Brook Lopez (Brooklyn Nets): 47.7% pass rate
  2. Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors): 49.4% pass rate
  3. Eric Gordon (New Orleans Pelicans): 50.8% pass rate
  4. Tony Wroten (Philadelphia 76ers): 52.6% pass rate
  5. C.J. Miles (Cleveland Cavaliers ): 54.6% pass rate
  6. Andrew Nicholson (Orlando Magic): 55.0% pass rate
  7. Maurice Harkless (Orlando Magic): 55.2% pass rate
  8. Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder): 55.4% pass rate
  9. Rudy Gay (Toronto Raptors): 55.8% pass rate
  10. Jamal Crawford (L.A. Clippers): 56.0% pass rate
The rest of the top 20 is as follows: Xavier Henry, Jodie Meeks, Dion Waiters, David Lee, Anthony Davis, Nick Young, Rodney Stuckey, James Harden, Corey Brewer.
Brook Lopez at No. 1! He's certainly not the type of player you think of when the words "ball hog" come to mind. But he gets a relatively low number of touches, and he almost never passes once he does get the ball in his hands. The average pass rate across the NBA is 70.1%, and Lopez is at 47.4%.
eric-gordon-1.jpg
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Eric Gordon strictly shoots.

When the ball goes into him in the post, more often than not it's not coming back out. There are some obvious players on here as well (Jamal Crawford! Rudy Gay!). But the majority of these guys are scoring guards who play off the ball. They aren't primary ball handlers (so their touches are fairly low) but they take a ton of shots.
Eric Gordon is the ultimate example of this. He plays alongside Jrue Holiday — one of the most ball-dominant point guards in the league. So he essentially only gets the ball when he's in a position to shoot. By design, he's the terminal node in the offense.
Ditto for Kevin Durant, who is the rare elite scorer who actually doesn't get a ton of touches.
On the other end of the spectrum, here are the 10 most unselfish players in the league. They pass like crazy:

1. Pablo Prigioni (New York Knicks): 87.8% pass rate
  2. Shaun Livingston (Brooklyn Nets): 86.2% pass rate
  3. Josh McRoberts (Charlotte Bobcats): 85.1% pass rate
  4. Jose Calderon (Dallas Mavericks): 84.8% pass rate
  5. Shane Battier (Miami Heat): 84.3% pass rate
  6. Greivis Vasquez (Sacramento Kings): 82.7% pass rate
  7. Joakim Noah (Chicago Bulls): 82.6% pass rate
  8. Deron Williams (Brooklyn Nets): 82.4% pass rate
  9. John Henson (Milwaukee Bucks): 82.4% pass rate
  10. John Lucas III (Utah Jazz): 81.5% pass rate
These guys are broken into two groups: 1) point guards who play with volume shooters, and 2) ball-moving swing men. Noah is the only outlier, but a lot of Chicago's offense moves through him at the high post and gets a ton of touches for a center as a result.
The big lessons from all of this is that the degree to a player is a "ball hog" is often determined by his role within the offense. Klay Thompson might be a wonderful and willing passer, but within the Warriors offense his job is to stretch the floor knock down open shots created by Steph Curry.
Still, when you think "ball hog" you think Jamal Crawford. So it's pretty perfect that the stats back up what we all see with our eyes.

petescud

Starter
in Melo's defense, if i was him i'd shoot my tail off too. No one else has much of a high pct shot on the team. Eveb JVG said if Melo is close to open, by all means shoot. The guy is a beast. Problem sometimes with Melo is he'll be double teamed and forces the game/shot selection. A good coach making him accountable would make Melo a top 5 player

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
in Melo's defense, if i was him i'd shoot my tail off too. No one else has much of a high pct shot on the team. Eveb JVG said if Melo is close to open, by all means shoot. The guy is a beast. Problem sometimes with Melo is he'll be double teamed and forces the game/shot selection. A good coach making him accountable would make Melo a top 5 player
I agree. He just needs to consistently move the ball when double-teamed. He knows and we know he can score on double-teams, but the ball movement is key for becoming a much better team. Passing the ball out of double-teams means somebody is open, it makes others better, it creates a better flow. I liked how Melo played in Game 6 of the second round last season. He was scoring a lot, but he kicked it out when double teamed. He has to do that consistently.

I forgot where the discussion started, might have been from an article posted in a thread on this board, Kiya responded about it too I think, Bernard King made quick decisions on offense. I don't think Melo is bad or anything as far as how long he takes to try to score, the team in general should be less stagnant.