Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

metrocard

Legend
We might be shut down again :teeth:

We need all the support in the world, ESPN and New York media is out there right now to assassinate the character of Melo...just like they did with Starbury 8 years ago.

It's been a long ass time since we had a top 15 player on this roster.

skisloper

Starter
There's no possible way you can convince the Melo trade was worst than the Curry trade.

Not even close.

Its the effects of the Melo trade not the trade itself.......If Melo was so greedy he could have just waited until the end of the season and joined the Knicks .....Held on to our trade assets and draft picks and really provided Melo with a solid team around him....BUT Melo wanted his money and now we all must pay the price.

Kiyaman

Legend
This time he is speaking correct

Shumpert is defender not regulars scorer

Felton is worst but playing too much

TH talented but need minutes Woody loves more struggling Felton

others? K-mart is too violent 3-4 fouls in less than 10 minutes

Amare - Forget

Pablo average 5 miunes per game what can he do in 5 mins

JR his game style is like playing on drugs awfull scoring %

and u think such roster is enough to comete vs Pacers Heat Bulls Spurs?

Woodson does what ISO-Melo tell him to do ....
Glen Grunwald does what ISO-Mel tell him to do ....
one down two to go...

LeFlume

All Star
Its the effects of the Melo trade not the trade itself.......If Melo was so greedy he could have just waited until the end of the season and joined the Knicks .....Held on to our trade assets and draft picks and really provided Melo with a solid team around him....BUT Melo wanted his money and now we all must pay the price.

It was not greed by Melos part. He made it crystal clear. He wanted to give Denver something in return. Melo leaving as a FA was never an option. He would have signed a three-year, $65 million contract extension if he wasn't dealt to another team by the trade deadline.

Kiyaman

Legend
He's right. Take Melo off the team and we'd be the worst team in the league

What are we now? with a 3-6 record heading into Detroit to meet player/coach Billups Pistons for a showdown between PG-Brandon Jennings and JRsmith. Then we come home where we have a 1-4 record to play the 10-1 Indiana Pacers.
Then we go back on the road for a 4 game swing in 6 nights vs ....
@ Washington - 1-2 home record
@ Portland - are not taking any hostage at home
@ Clippers - contenders at home
@ Nuggets - lookin 4 any edge to win at home

I will let u do the MATH on our next 6 games .......

PS .. The only way we become winners in the next 6 games are ISO-Melo have to take the "Limitation & Alternate-Games" off of Amare & Kenyon Martin, and take a back-seat to receive 32 minutes a game. Star player what!!!

skisloper

Starter
It was not greed by Melos part. He made it crystal clear. He wanted to give Denver something in return. Melo leaving as a FA was never an option. He would have signed a three-year, $65 million contract extension if he wasn't dealt to another team by the trade deadline.

Melo could have signed with Denver at the end of the season and did a sign a trade with the Knicks....No draft picks and no Mozgov

LeFlume

All Star
Melo could have signed with Denver at the end of the season and did a sign a trade with the Knicks....No draft picks and no Mozgov

No he couldn't. Everybody knew that NBA was going into a lockout when its collective bargaining agreement expired at the end of that season. No deals/contracts could be made until the new CBA was done.

Kiyaman

Legend

With Melo u can play the game of which came first?
A) Glen Grunwald demotion
B) Or Melo's anouncement to opt out at end of season.

In 2008-9 Chauncey Billups took ISO-Melo Nuggets to the WCF, where Melo average 34 minutes, 18 shots a game, 22 pts, 7 rb, 3 ast.
In 2009-10 ISO-Melo's 40 minutes, 22 shots per game, 28 pts, 6 rb, 3 ast, loss in the first round to Utah bc all his lastseason teammates showed up for the postseason games without any effort. Which made ISO-Melo sick during the 2010 All-Star offseason FA market. To where Melo made a comment in August of 2010 of playing in New York. La La La La

ESPN Fantasy Projection: In many ways, Melo is the modern version of T-Mac. There is an endless debate about whether he truly understands the nuances of winning games through team ball, but there is no doubting his love for hogging the rock and hoisting a ton of shots. In other words, just like T-Mac., Melo is a beast in fantasy! He will continue to be a statistical force as a scorer, including plenty of 3s and a ton of FTs this season, too. The only drawbacks are a mediocre FG% at high volume (20-plus FGA per game), no hustle stats and a propensity for missing 10-15 games each season. He'll be highly motivated, though, since he can opt out and become a free agent at season's end.

True or False

Kiyaman

Legend
We need all the support in the world, ESPN and New York media is out there right now to assassinate the character of Melo...just like they did with Starbury 8 years ago.

Metro .... I hate to shut down ur nice "Melo-Team" thread by throwing a big wrench in the process .. :2cents:

Melo's career in first half scoring points, actually doubles the amount of points Melo score in the 2nd half of a game. Especially vs defensive-teams.

When oponents have a double-diget lead on Melo/JR, they take the defensive-pressure off of Melo/JR to trade points.
This was obvious in Melo/JR era on the Denver Nuggets, and its been obvious on the Knicks.
Thiats why I was against the Knicks bein apart of the chaotic Melo-Trade in the 2010-11 season.
Melo is not the 4th qtr. top scorer so many Knicks-Fans hype him up to be .... Recall ..
The Melo's pass to Jared Jefferies on the peremeter with 3 seconds remaining in a one-point lead in a postseason game.
That game showed Melo's team-ball IQ .. Or better yet, Billups & Amare prove Melo's worth in that postseason game by holding a 6 point lead from tip-off all the way to the final minutes and a half of the game, before Amare/Billups went out with a injury.
We had a bad-decision making Jamar Crawford who never wouldve made that decision if Jefferies was wide open under the basket.

Kiyaman

Legend

ESPN Fantasy Projection: In many ways, Melo is the modern version of T-Mac. There is an endless debate about whether he truly understands the nuances of winning games through team ball, but there is no doubting his love for hogging the rock and hoisting a ton of shots. In other words, just like T-Mac, Melo is a beast in fantasy! He will continue to be a statistical force as a scorer, including plenty of 3s and a ton of FTs this season, too. The only drawbacks are a mediocre FG% at high volume (20-plus FGA per game), no hustle stats and a propensity for missing 10-15 games each season. He'll be highly motivated, though, since he can opt out and become a free agent at season's end.

TRUE or FALSE

clumsy

Rotation player
Comparing Melo to T-Mac is BS and something sports media does just to get people to read. You can say the exact same thing about Kobe (if you hate Melo, you should hate Kobe too). Kobe is an incredibly selfish ball hog and has been his whole Career. He had a couple things that helped him 2x. He had the best center in the league, and maybe most dominant player of all time in Shaq, and he had a very very talented All Star center who could space the floor and pass well in Gasol.

T-Mac was an all world talent but injuries derailed him by the time he had a good team with Yao. Also Yao was prone too so the 2 stars were always hurt. Plus T-mac still had that one year where he had that 20+ game win streak in a much better western conference...you can't discredit someone just because of bad luck. To me Melo has had bad luck and on the Knicks he's stuck with bad management.

clumsy

Rotation player
A much fairer assessment is that Carmelo is a flawed player, but we can't make final judgement on his career until he has had someone just as good as him playing next to him.

Because literally every player in the NBA is flawed outside of Lebron James (best team player of all time in my opinion, and can do anything/everything)

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Comparing Melo to T-Mac is BS and something sports media does just to get people to read. You can say the exact same thing about Kobe (if you hate Melo, you should hate Kobe too). Kobe is an incredibly selfish ball hog and has been his whole Career. He had a couple things that helped him 2x. He had the best center in the league, and maybe most dominant player of all time in Shaq, and he had a very very talented All Star center who could space the floor and pass well in Gasol.

T-Mac was an all world talent but injuries derailed him by the time he had a good team with Yao. Also Yao was prone too so the 2 stars were always hurt. Plus T-mac still had that one year where he had that 20+ game win streak in a much better western conference...you can't discredit someone just because of bad luck. To me Melo has had bad luck and on the Knicks he's stuck with bad management.

Imagine if Melo had prime Shaq too? He'd have ATLEAST one ring.

th3realicon

Rotation player
It is kind of funny how everyone jumps the gun on Melo and call him a me first player when the team is struggling. Especially considering the junk he has around. Chandler is hurt. Felton is back to being FATlton. That worthless clot of JR Smith is back at being the most inconsistent player ever.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
ESPN Insider article on Melo.

What execs really think of Melo

Knicks star's me-first attitude will prevent him from winning a title

Updated: November 14, 2013, 3:30 PM ET
By Chris Broussard | ESPN Insider

nba_g_anthony_gb2_576.jpg
Lintao Zhang/Getty ImagesCarmelo Anthony needs to look himself in the mirror, some team execs say.
The New York Knicks enter tonight's game against the Houston Rockets with a disappointing 3-4 record. While it's way too early to panic, it's not too early to say this: Even when the Knicks right themselves (and I firmly believe they will), they have only a decent chance of getting out of the first round and no chance of getting past the second.
Hence, the Knicks' superstar, Carmelo Anthony, is doomed for yet another postseason of failure. In his 10 previous NBA seasons, Anthony, to his credit, has made the playoffs every year. But just twice has his team advanced past the first round. This kind of perennial failure begs so many questions.
So how much of the blame for that should fall on Melo? What does that say about him as a player? What's he missing, if anything? Can he lead a team to a championship, or even to the NBA Finals? What type of team would fit best around him? Should he leave New York next summer in search of a better chance to win it all? Is he really just a star masquerading as a "superstar'?'
To answer these questions, I turned to four long-time league executives who were granted anonymity so they could share their true opinions.

Eastern Conference executive No. 1

In short: This particular executive says Anthony picked up some bad habits while he was in Denver. Is he a winner? Sure, but is he Batman or Robin?

"I like Melo. I like that he competes. He obviously can score at a high level. People forget that when he got drafted by Denver, the Nuggets had won 17 games the year before. And he immediately turned them into a playoff team and took them to the playoffs every year he was there. He took a 17-win team and led them to 43 wins. So he can win and make a team better. I think his problem is that he went to Denver, which was a dysfunctional franchise at that time, so he picked up some bad habits and didn't learn what it takes to really win in this league. If he had gone to a better organization with a truly professional environment coming out of the gate, he would have learned and been more professional. He won big in college (leading Syracuse to the National Championship in 2003). He won big in high school at Oak Hill. He's been a winner all his life.
ny_g_carmelo-anthony_mb_288x162.jpg
Jim McIsaac/Getty ImagesAnthony scores because he has no qualms about taking his shot.

"But early on in Denver, he probably saw some bad habits and was allowed to get away with his bad habits -- like if he was five or 10 minutes late for a shootaround, or if he missed a team event somewhere. As a leader, you can't do that because you have to be able to get on guys when they do those things. He probably never learned that. And after leading a team from 17 wins to 43 wins, he probably thought winning in the NBA was a little easier than it really is, and he never was made to understand what it takes to get to the next level. He didn't learn the little things, the finer points of playing defensively - understanding that you have to make consecutive plays on defense if you really want to get it done. Things like that. So now, 10 years into the league, he's probably Robin on a championship team instead of Batman. He has Batman talent, but the intangibles are missing. And I think part of that is because of what he was introduced to when he came into the league with Denver… "As far as next summer, if I were him, I'd stay in New York and hope I can attract some more help. I think he has to put his feet in the concrete now and look at himself in the mirror. He knows where he's coming up short. I believe he's smart enough to recognize that. If Kobe Bryant was younger, it'd be great for Melo to go play with him in L.A. because Kobe could get him to do the things he doesn't want to do right now. He'd have to listen to Kobe. But Kobe's older now and doesn't have enough left to help Melo win it. Overall, all these people talking crazy about Carmelo, saying he's not a winner -- ask them if they would take him on their team. You wouldn't get many people saying 'No.'"

Eastern Conference executive No. 2

In short: There's no denying Carmelo Anthony is a selfish player. The possessions and statistical inefficiency bear that out. And this executive agrees.

"He's a great player, but he's also a selfish player. That's just how he is. I don't think he'll look at himself in the mirror and say, 'What am I not doing? What am I doing that's keeping us from winning?' Again, I'm not saying he's not a great player. He's a phenomenal player. He's just selfish. He likes the glamour and the big time. Why else would he have left Denver for New York? That Denver team he was on was better than New York. But he wanted the show and the glamour. It wasn't about winning…
" All the talk about where he'll go next year -- if he goes somewhere else, that puts more pressure on him to win. It's going to follow him. I don't know if he'll have the guts to leave. If he leaves, he better win wherever he goes.
" -- Eastern Conference team executive​
"For him to win, he has to have the right team around him. But finding the right team for him is very hard. You really have to get five Tyson Chandlers -- guys that play like Chandler but play at the other four positions. You need guys who will cater to Melo, guys who don't need the ball, guys who don't care about shooting a lot, guys that can make spot-up jump shots. Those are the type of guys Melo needs because he's not looking to be a team player. He's going to be a gunner and just shoot. If you have those type of guys around him, maybe he can win it. But the way I see it, he might end up being 33 years old after he matures a little bit and on a team with a guy or two who's better than him, and then he'll win it…
"All the talk about where he'll go next year -- if he goes somewhere else, that puts more pressure on him to win. It's going to follow him. I don't know if he'll have the guts to leave. If he leaves, he better win wherever he goes. If he stays, he can get the most money from New York and then at some point, demand a trade if he has to.''

Western Conference executive No. 1

In short: Anthony can score, but can he win? This executive says Melo needs help.

"I actually think that, for whatever reason, Melo's always gotten a pass. At the end of the day, he's been in the league long enough where, if he was really a winner and about winning, he'd have figured it out by now. He's had enough time to do that now. He should be able to say, 'Ok, this is not working. I've got to figure it out. I've got to take it upon myself as a superstar to try something else. Try to be a facilitator, make plays for other guys, or like Kobe and LeBron, get some stops. Every team I'm on is bad defensively, let me make more of a commitment defensively.' If he was really about winning, there's more he could do…
"Is he overrated? As a scorer, he's not overrated. He's a professional scorer. And as a winner -- that's what it's all about, right? -- he's not rated highly. I mean, this is his 11th season. It's time to win something. He went to the conference finals one time when Chauncey Billups was still good and they had some pieces around them. As a guy without some pieces around him, Melo doesn't get it done because he doesn't make anybody else better. He's going to play the way he plays, but the team's not going to have much success. I don't know if he can be the best player on a championship team. Yeah, he might lead the league in scoring but he's also up there in points allowed. If you're getting points on one end, you can't be giving up just as many on the other end. To win, Melo needs a team full of defenders -- dirty, grimy, tough guys. He needs a veteran point guard like Billups who can tell him what he needs to do and has the authority to back it up. He needs some shooters, too, because he's not going to change his game.''

Western Conference executive No. 2

In short: This executive offers a past player comparable to Anthony. But Stephon Marbury probably isn't the guy you want to be compared to.

"I love him as a player. I just don't think he's your alpha male. He can't be your No. 1 guy. He's kind of like Clyde Drexler. As the alpha male in Portland, Clyde never got over the top. But when he went to Houston and was the No. 2 guy to Hakeem Olajuwon, he won. Melo's too much about himself to be the No. 1 guy. He's not malicious in his approach or anything. He's just not about winning. He's about getting his, and doing it his way. I would love to have him as a second guy. But as your alpha male? He's not going to win anything like that. He's kind of like the 2013 version of Stephon Marbury. He's not as bad as Stephon, but he's got Steph tendencies.''

While they acknowledge his elite skills, these are some harsh words for Anthony. With him, there's no question that he can score and is a great player on his own. But as a team player, it looks like there remains plenty of questions.

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

Dolan shouldve talk to these CEO's in 2010, before the 2011 February trade deadline.

metrocard

Legend
Will Melo leave the Knicks ?

I was watching First Take, Stephen A Smith said due to the state of the Knicks (front office, management, coaching), LeBron has removed the Knicks off his list of free agent teams.
He also mention Melo will leave after the 2013-14 season and will maybe head to LA.

My question is, why risk the potential of this happening? Either trade Melo now or get a confirmation from him.

Teams that could use Carmelo Anthony

Atlanta Hawks
Charlotte Bobcats
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Caviliers
Dallas Mavericks
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Memphis Grizzlies
Minnesota Timberwolves
Milwaukee Bucks
New Orleans Pelicans
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings
Washington Wizards
Utah Jazz

This is still Team Melo, but the best for Melo and the best for New York should be respected.
If the Knicks want to waste Melo's time and not build a roster or have a coach who will play guy's minutes who deserve it (Prigioni), then Melo would be better off on a team who could use his talents and Knicks would be better off getting as much value as they can for Melo because the Knicks need it. Our future is dark, no draft picks, not even much second round picks. Grunfield is a crap GM and gutted this roster out completely.