Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
As a Melo fan, I hope he does go somewhere else.

As a Knicks fan, I hope he does go somewhere else

:gony:

tiger0330

Legend
just scrap the team, retract it from the league...stars come here to die, players come here to retire
That's what would happen with Melo if the Knicks sign him for the max. I'm against signing guys to max deals in their 30's, sign a max player like Harden in their 20's that will give you a 5 year window to win instead of Melo. The Knicks need to think long and hard before committing $129M/5 yrs to him.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Melo is playing as well as we could have expected when we did the sign and trade for him. He is not enough alone and we have little support for him. It will not get better unless we get real lucky in the draft and free agency in 2015. Melo is likely to opt out at the end of the season. I doubt any team not located in Los Angeles would trade for him this year given his opt out ability. The Clippers are capped out. Though I think Melo and LaLa would love to join Chris Paul in LA, they will not have cap space to sign him as a free agent because they certainly will not trade Paul or Griffin to make room for Melo. DaAndre Jordan makes only $11M. The Lakers will have cap room and Gasol is at $19M in this the final year of his current contract. I doubt Melo wants to rejoin D'Antoni and I do not see how Kobe and Melo complement each other. I expect that Dolan does not want to lose Melo to start a rebuild, particularly when we have no first round picks in 2014 or 2016. I expect Melo to stay and probably be overpaid at least in the last two years of his contract. I see continued mediocrity particularly since teams like Philadelphia and Boston are already in rebuild mode and some very good players will be coming up in the draft.

Paul1355

All Star
Knicks need to now show Melo they can build something around him. Melo would stay if the Knicks were at least competing. Now they are dismal and he is doing everything he can. He wants to win a championship but the players are not helping him. we need to get rid of the supporting cast (Amare, Felton, Shump, JR) Now and get other players. We might have to fire Woody for Phil Jackson to just prove to Melo we are serious

mafra

Legend
'Melo clutch gene slumping (1-15 in game-winning attempts)

Saw this blurb in the NY Post (on the NYK-DEN recap): "Anthony?s late-game performances have become a source of concern. This statistic says it all: He?s one for his last 15 on game-winning or game-tying shots in the final 30 seconds."

I've heard the notion put forth... That b/c he's exerting more energy on the boards to help out on the glass, and b/c Woody is forced to play him more, that Anthony is just gassed come final minutes of the fourth.

Add to that fact, the NYK are nearing bottom in NBA on both "fouls called on and for" (for an NBA worst disparity of about 7 fouls per game)... the 'Melo is just taking a beating.

A slump or what?

petescud

Starter
Could it be plain as he's just not clutch. Maybe he tries too hard. Maybe he has LBJ syndrome (prior to last year). LBJ didn't want to take the last shot

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Maybe if he passes the ball to his teammates, instead of shoting air balls, he will get less tired when it counts. End of the game that is.

bigapple

Starter
all his last shots was ISO backside to basket nothing from post no jumpers or just 3s

time to pass the ball to some1 else

oshi

Benchwarmer
Yep not surprised at all by this, I can't remember him hitting a game tying jumper or winner in a long time. I saw another statistic of how much less of an inside scorer he is now compared to when he played in Denver. I'm sorry but if I'm the Knicks and if Melo plans on demanding the max, trade him and let's get younger, just blow the team up because we are going nowhere

mafra

Legend
would probably help if he took it to the basket then pulling up 20+ falling backwards

And Ryan Anderson matched Melo for the first 3 quarters, and then with game in the air... under 5 minutes... 4th Q... The curious case of the incredibly shrinking and missing Melo strikes again.

Broadway

All Star
How can any player be clutch with this roster and franchise? That stat is virtually meaningless.

Well he's had many opportunities in the clutch for the stat to reflect differently. I mean are we blaming the roster for him missing shots in the clutch?

It's been mythical for about 5yrs and as I've always stated let's not play games where you have to have a got to star to win games in the clutch because far too often said player is going to miss more than he makes even if he makes more than the rest of his competition in similar situations.

It's one of the most misleading and overrated stats to try and define a player and build legend behind it. For the record Gallo was hella clutch last year for the Nuggets?.but would most rate him above Melo currently sans injury?

metrocard

Legend
Well he's had many opportunities in the clutch for the stat to reflect differently.

That's a myth.

Melo's never had an opportunity ever since he was traded to New York.
He was traded to a bad team that overachieved and was a gimmick team in the regular season. Steve Novak was an actual impact role player, where is he now? It was all smoke n mirrors and 100% gimmicking their way to victories.

No NBA player can have an opportunity with this roster, take that out of your head.
Putting on this Melo is very simpleminded.

mafra

Legend
That's a myth.

Melo's never had an opportunity ever since he was traded to New York.
He was traded to a bad team that overachieved and was a gimmick team in the regular season. Steve Novak was an actual impact role player, where is he now? It was all smoke n mirrors and 100% gimmicking their way to victories.

No NBA player can have an opportunity with this roster, take that out of your head.
Putting on this Melo is very simpleminded.

i emphatically disagree with this. I supported the trade for Melo, but said(at the time) that since Melo forced the issue... It's all on him moving forward. He cannot use the roster as an excuse. Melo could have easily waited until season ended and signed with Knicks... He would have Gallo and Chandler and Moz and draft picks. He could have said he would only accept trade to Knicks, meaning he would still have Gallo and picks. As evident with this year's opt out clause, Melo was short-sighted by gutting this team just so he could get the full max... How stupid is this guy? Why?

He never planned on playing the full contract anyway. So why push for a deal full max anyway, when he could have settled for 1 year shy of max... And be opting out just the same.

The moment the trade went down, and it was a trade we had to make, his future and rep was on the line. You think you are a winner? Come show us why gutting the team and giving you max is worth it?

Last year was Melo's year... Injuries paved the road for us, we got best case scenario production from a lot of guys, and all mElo had to do was be better than Paul George. He ccouldn't man up and dominant that Game 6... And so we went home. Melo was bad in the fourth quarter, and he just couldn't best the Indy Pacers... Paul George and Melo had equal talent surrounding them, relatively speaking.

But after watching Melo... He doesn't possess that absolute terror the greats have when faced with prospects of losing. Like he says, no need to go to a dark place. All he cares about is his family, money and scoring. Whatever comes next is cool. Be the best? Eh... He'll settle for top ten. Cool by him.

i trade him for a promising young player and two draft picks. Hope this young big Jeremy Tyler can play, and build around Hardaway. Deal Shumpert for a piece to compliment Hardaway... Keep TC to be a leader, then find a PG. hope we get lucky in the draft. And wait out the Lebron era. What's another 5 losing seasons?

Build to win come 2018. Lol.