Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

mafra

Legend
Man, looking back at the box score from Game 6 last year in INDY... Still pisses me off. Pacers shot FORTY-SIX FREE THROWS. Made 34 of them. We shot 18! We only had 7 fewer rebounds, even though we had more offensive rebounds. Sure, we shot some threes... But we made over 4-% that night. Not like they were driving to the hoop every possession. Knicks were perfect from the charity stripe... 18-18. If Indy only gets 36 free throws, still double what we were awarded... Knicks up 13 with 9 to play, and most likely we are playing a Game 7 in NY.

skisloper

Starter
28 million a year? LOL who would offer that contract? I'm still waiting for someone to answer me that.

I don't think Melo will be a lock down defender, his defense isn't Eddy Curry bad or Jamal Crawford bad so I'm not worried about Melo defensively. Do I want him to give 100% on defense and make plays? Of course. Am I expecting him highly to preform on defense every night? No, that's foolish.

It seems like you don't even know who Carmelo Anthony is. Since when Melo has become a lock down defender or people expected him to be?

Next thing you know, Ski wants Melo to average 7-8 assist per game like Melo..."Melo has to be a complete Superstar, make his teammates better, play point forward and create shots for the lesser player, run back on defense and block shots...make plays, statistics lie" - skisloper

Metro based on your most recent post i think we are on the same exact page. YES I expect MELO to be something he is not. It seems to be that team Ball and team Defense is what wins games and basically you are saying Melo is very one dimensional....................If I am offering a Maz Contract i would want more for my money that,,,,,,,,Yes a player that will give 100% on the defensive end and will make his teammates better. Shame on me..... No dofferent then you are like Melo and respect his game for what it is......A scorer....but that does not win chammpionships

metrocard

Legend
If Melo wants to take 12 million in order for the franchise to get a chance to sign a good player, I'm 100% begin it because

Wade and Bosh did the same thing Miami, and now the Heat recently have two championships.

I think Melo needs to find someone like CP3 or Rondo to join forces with and make a plan.

Only if Clippers were 3-13 right now and CP3 got tired of Doc Rivers...demanded a trade to New York.

metrocard

Legend
Hey Metro, or should i call you MetroMelo?
Did you say i present nothing to the table? LOL.
Just read my post about team concept. That one post alone brings more to the table than all of your posts combined.

I think Metro is fine enough. Melocard would of been funnier.

Man, looking back at the box score from Game 6 last year in INDY... Still pisses me off. Pacers shot FORTY-SIX FREE THROWS. Made 34 of them. We shot 18! We only had 7 fewer rebounds, even though we had more offensive rebounds. Sure, we shot some threes... But we made over 4-% that night. Not like they were driving to the hoop every possession. Knicks were perfect from the charity stripe... 18-18. If Indy only gets 36 free throws, still double what we were awarded... Knicks up 13 with 9 to play, and most likely we are playing a Game 7 in NY.

I remember the game seeing Lance Stephenson hacking everyone in site and barely getting called for any fouls, it was very Sacramento-Los Angeles in the early 00s, one of the saddest games I ever watched as a fan and the worst way to end the season. I despise Indiana as a team and the NBA as a league for it.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
At this point, I'd trade Melo to a lottery bound team (if they're stupid enough to trade out of this lottery) then hope for a top 4 pick, AND THEN hope that Julius Randle or Jabari Parker falls into our lap.

Then as a Knicks fan, I'd hope we don't end up drafting the water boy from NC State or some ****.

bigapple

Starter
MELO will stay only when Knicks will give him new franchise player which can help him coexist that he can share ball and score and play on elite level

KD have Westrbook
Lebron have Wade and Bosh
George have West and Hibbert and Hill
Paul have Jordan and Griffin however i still dont believe in Clipppers
Lin even as bench player have D12 Parsons and Harden
and finaly Portland new era after Injure age Roy have roster Lillar Batum and Aldrige but they still got no playoff experience

Knicks got only MELO and BARGs and no one thats not enough and they plays no D

skisloper

Starter
Wow...this may change my opinion on Melo. He doesn't seem loyal to the Knicks.

If Melo can get paid the same thing and end up on a team that can be an instant contender why would he not leave that option open.
We have no draft picks but what we will have in 2014 is some sweet expiring contracts in Chandler and Amare to trade...thats over 30 million......too bad we have to sit through another bad season....

Just get rid of Woodson and play Felton for no more then 20 minutes,

bigapple

Starter
SAS is not insider and i will stop any crap talk till 1 july 2014 if MELO will decide to leave Knicks are done

and later in 2014 1st game anywhere where he will decide to play MSG will be booing him =totaly disrespect him

MSG is booing anyone which leaving Knicks Lin already scored boos

It Dolan 1st who have to leave

If we say that there will be no roster changes between now and the end of the year, if Melo leaves, we will still have no cap room for next offseason. However, we would have about 49 million in expiring contracts next season (Bargs, Chandler, STAT). We could build around Shump and THJ, say as our starting SF and SG. We could then either trade those expiring contracts for big contract players next season or wait until the summer of 2015, in which case we could sign two max players. Hypothetically, we would go after a PG (Irving, etc.) and a big man (Love, etc.). Obviously, this thought process has a million unaccounted for variables, but long story short, if Melo leaves, we could actually end up with a good team again in 1 to 2 seasons. If he stays, who knows what we will have the next 2 years.

Even better, imagine we trade Melo between now and the deadline for 1 to 2 first round picks and/or some young, high upside guys. It's not gonna happen, but a Knicks fan can dream.

clumsy

Rotation player
If Melo leaves, I hope him and James Dolan die in a car accident.

He gutted our roster because he wanted more money and didn't want to wait it out until he became a free agent. That said i would be trying to Trade Melo today and Chicago needs a #1 scorer. Anything for draft picks is what i would do.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
And that's what the Knicks management should do, try to trade Melo for some young talent and picks. But knowing Dolan we'll wait till summer and Melo signs with Lakers, Bulls or somplace place. And who knows, maybe we could engage more teams in a possible deal which would allow us to get rid of Bargnani, Earl and Raymond.

KBlack25

Starter
Let him go if he wants.

Just read this in Kirk Goldbserry's latest article:

"No one cares who shoots," LeBron James told me. "We went from a team that played a lot of isolation basketball to [being] first or second in the league in assists. Everyone on the team feels so comfortable offensively. We get the ball from one side to the other side, shifting the defense then attacking it or spraying out for 3s."

According to head coach Erik Spoelstra, "We learned a lot from the pain of the Dallas Finals loss. One of the things that was clear was that it would be essential for us to utilize more movement, especially off the ball, and in general to move the ball more. Less self-will plays, less isolation, less dribbling, less holding. We coined it 'pace and space.'"

Sounds like literally the opposite of what the Knicks are doing. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from the Heat.

clumsy

Rotation player
Let him go if he wants.

Just read this in Kirk Goldbserry's latest article:

"No one cares who shoots," LeBron James told me. "We went from a team that played a lot of isolation basketball to [being] first or second in the league in assists. Everyone on the team feels so comfortable offensively. We get the ball from one side to the other side, shifting the defense then attacking it or spraying out for 3s."

According to head coach Erik Spoelstra, "We learned a lot from the pain of the Dallas Finals loss. One of the things that was clear was that it would be essential for us to utilize more movement, especially off the ball, and in general to move the ball more. Less self-will plays, less isolation, less dribbling, less holding. We coined it 'pace and space.'"

Sounds like literally the opposite of what the Knicks are doing. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from the Heat.

That's bs because the Heat are a crazy team. They have multiple 40% 3pt shooters first of all, so passing to an open man is the smarter play. Add to the fact that Lebron himself attracts a triple team when he drives to the lane and you have all the recipes for success right there. This is why i never understood the hate for Lebron not taking the last shot, he doesn't have to on that team, he has high efficiency players everywhere.

The Knicks can't play that way because we don't have anyone reliable enough at 3, we don't have a creator at PG and JR smith is having the worst season probably of any basketball player ever. With this roster, this is what we get. Really ISO-Melo is the highest percentage play right now.

KBlack25

Starter
That's bs because the Heat are a crazy team. They have multiple 40% 3pt shooters first of all, so passing to an open man is the smarter play. Add to the fact that Lebron himself attracts a triple team when he drives to the lane and you have all the recipes for success right there. This is why i never understood the hate for Lebron not taking the last shot, he doesn't have to on that team, he has high efficiency players everywhere.

The Knicks can't play that way because we don't have anyone reliable enough at 3, we don't have a creator at PG and JR smith is having the worst season probably of any basketball player ever. With this roster, this is what we get. Really ISO-Melo is the highest percentage play right now.

It's not as much about talent as you think.

Read the article - it's about floor spacing, finding and knowing where your open man is - understanding how defenses are going to react.

JR continuing to take iso-jumpers and us not moving the ball (that we did so successfully last year) is the issue. We kicked the ball around so well last year, willing to make the extra pass to get a better shot. This year we have two sets: Melo ISO and JR ISO.

metrocard

Legend
Any team with that has the best player in the NBA by far along with Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, Michael Beasley, Chris Bosh, James Jones, Rashard Lewis as spot up options, moving the ball is easier than it sounds.

Every team LeBron has been on theres been ball movement.

If Knicks want ball movement, we need a PG like Chris Paul, Parker, Rubio, Lillard, Lawson and even Michael Carter Williams who leading Philadelphia to the 5th best offense in the NBA.

skisloper

Starter
Any team with that has the best player in the NBA by far along with Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, Michael Beasley, Chris Bosh, James Jones, Rashard Lewis as spot up options, moving the ball is easier than it sounds.

Every team LeBron has been on theres been ball movement.

If Knicks want ball movement, we need a PG like Chris Paul, Parker, Rubio, Lillard, Lawson and even Michael Carter Williams who leading Philadelphia to the 5th best offense in the NBA.

even if we had a true PG you would still have Woody allowing Melo and JR to bring up the ball...

KBlack25

Starter
even if we had a true PG you would still have Woody allowing Melo and JR to bring up the ball...

Exactly. This is the issue.

I understand we don't have LeBron - that's not the point. We also aren't moving the ball, something that we SAW WORK last year.