Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

la2ny

Starter
Epic_Facepalm_5452.png

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Well... First of all i'm so glad for the ending of this soap opera that i'm afraid this is going to affect my appreciation of the trade.

We gave A LOT. It probably will cost us Donnie Walsh leaving. But getting Melo while keeping Landry Fields makes me happy. Also keeping our pick for the next year (we'll see if there isn't another coming).

I said it all before: Chandler was gone after the trade, Gallinari with Melo makes no sense... Felton and Mozgov are the sacrifice. None of them is a star but they were good for us. I just can't understand why we give 3 extra picks and cash... But overall i'm good with the trade.

Most disturbing thing is to figure what plan Dolan has for our FO.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
great trade

this was a steal

nuggets give up their heart n soul for two streaky inconsistent players

felton was playing well but im sure billups and douglas will suffice, i mean the knicks can now iso two players

shits lovely

rady

Administrator
Staff member
We gave A LOT. It probably will cost us Donnie Walsh leaving. But getting Melo while keeping Landry Fields makes me happy.

The Nuggets were stupid they didn't asked for Fields too, i'm sure Dolan would have included him as well. Man i feel pretty bad after this news..

skisloper

Starter
Landry Fields must be the happiest guy ( besides Melo )

this guy is in a starting rotation with Billups, Melo and Amare...

He must be like I am in a dream....

Melo ERA is over and like that we gave up too much or not does not matter...

Playoff Victory"s are a comin

mafra

Legend
^^^^^^

Aint that the truth. Landry Fields' dream year continues. Like the last man standing in the OK CORRAL. A whopping P-H-E-W, as he wipes the brow.

Looking at it in terms of this year's post season run:

Billups is more valuabe than Felton for the playoff run. He's the better, more clutch player. Better defensively. Has a ring. Felton is a warrior. His 6+ months as a Knick will be appereciated, but his play was declining ala Duhon, and that 2-week stretch he had seemed more like an anomaly than the norm. PLUS, Felton was not in the 2012 plans.

Sheldon Williams is better than Timofey Mozgov this year. Probably is the better player next year as well (and the year after that). Williams averages 5.3 reboudns per game, Mozgov about 3. Granted Mozgov is bigger, but Williams is more polished and has the pedigree.

Wilson Chandler is a great talent. Some nights he is fantastic. Other nights not so much. He's just not consistent enough to be reliable. He was not going to resign with the Knicks. He is seeking his 30-50 mil payday. We weren't going there. Corey Brewer take shis spot, and will do a lot of what we asked WC to do. If you look at their careers, they seem like the same player.

Danillo Gallinari. Where to begin right. I wanted Eric Gordon, see EC everytime I watch Gallo. I understood what scouts saw in DG. I rooted for him. Wanted him to do well. I feel in 3 years he will be a very, very good player. TRUTH IS though we couldn't risk STAT's present banking on Gallo's near future. We needed a star now. And fact is Carmelo is only 26, and will be the better player the next 5-7 years. Having both would have been great, but NO WAY should it be a dealbreaker.

Taking back Balkman's salary stinks. It's only 1.6 mil for the next 2 seasons. Hopefully we trade him. Still, Knicks shave about 2 mil off their cap hit for next year. That, along with added payroll space, plus possible exemptions will get you a Jamal Crawford or Big Baby.

Anthony Randolph was never playing as long as D'antoni is here. A shame really. The 2 second round picks and 3 mil in cash, along with EC's expiring contract pretty much exhaust all NYK had to offer. Doesn't leave us with much wiggle room to swing deals.

But NYK will find players on the scrap heep. A vet cut here, a Barron there. PLUS, Knicks still have a 1st round pick this year (so they do have options moving fwd).

Williams will be just fine, filling in that Gallo role. He's the much better 3-point sniper this season anyway. Walker still has a shot to be something. Douglas is hurting but he's still a nice scoring option off the bench.

Knicks need size, but the same was true even when MOZ was here. Save Turiaf for the post season. Turiaf-Balkman bring energy.

Knicks had to make this trade. BUilding around Amar'e-Carmelo much better than building around Amar'e-Gallo. Billups/Felton for 2011 a toss-up anyway. I'll take Sheldon over MOZ. Chandler was walking. Knicks basically give up Randolph, 2 second round picks, and EC's contract (which could have fetched a Dalembert or something).

Adding a CENTER to the current roster might have been OK; gambling on Melo. BUt had we missed out out then it would have been BAD moving fwd. I dont want to watch MIA dominate. To be relevant, NYK had to do this. We paid a lot, but it's still worth it.

You guys are CRAZY.We weren't going to be able to keep Chandler anyways,and Billups is better than Felton.So we basically traded Gallo and Moz for Balkman and Melo.Melo is top 5 player in the league and Balkman is solid defender.Even Jeff Van Gundy said this was a great trade for us.

quiggle

Starter
Donnie Walsh is as big as a traitor since Benedict Arnold, you have one of the biggest trades in frnachise history going down during All Star weekend and you bolt back to Indiana with your family leaving the owner all alone to speak with Melo? we already lost LeBron because of him coming to the meeting in a wheelchair, and he was going to cost us another star?

Donnie Walsh is as big as a traitor since Benedict Arnold, you have one of the biggest trades in frnachise history going down during All Star weekend and you bolt back to Indiana with your family leaving the owner all alone to speak with Melo? we already lost LeBron because of him coming to the meeting in a wheelchair, and he was going to cost us another star?

You halfass trolling again? What a chump...
How many times have you been wrong now? Keep the act up you are providing the laughs, pathetic...

mafra

Legend
Jeff Van Gundy said it best on Mike & Mike this morning... The pieces NY gave up can be replaced. Nice productive players who do things well. What NY got is not easily acquired. A legitimate perimter threat that must be double-teamed. Those players aren't available often.

quiggle

Starter
You halfass trolling again? What a chump...
How many times have you been wrong now? Keep the act up you are providing the laughs, pathetic...

I'm wrong? what team president ditches the team when they are about to make a trade that changes the course of the franchise? so what if you disagree on the trade, at least show up and save face. insubordination.

LeFlume

All Star
Jeff Van Gundy said it best on Mike & Mike this morning... The pieces NY gave up can be replaced. Nice productive players who do things well. What NY got is not easily acquired. A legitimate perimter threat that must be double-teamed. Those players aren't available often.

I concur sir. A player like 'Melo is once in a decade. Players like Chandler , Gallinari or who ever we gave up comes in dozens every year. We got a bona fide superstars and we gave up role players.

mafra

Legend
I concur sir. A player like 'Melo is once in a decade. Players like Chandler , Gallinari or who ever we gave up comes in dozens every year. We got a bona fide superstars and we gave up role players.

We just drafted a Wilson Chandler in the 2nd round (Landry Fields). Odds are we can replace a Felton or Mozgov if we make a shrewd waiver wire signing and draft well in the 1st round this season.

There was only 1 way to get Carmelo Anthony, or a player of his caliber... If anyone thinks adding Dalembert and signing Jamal Crawford was going to put us in the position to win a title next year... they're crazy!

We have a lot of work to do, but moving fwd the Knicks have 3 LEGIT starters to build around (Fields, Carmelo & Amar'e). PG should be fine (Billups for now and then Deron/Paul later). This issue remains: FIND A CENTER.

Finding a serviceable center who will rebound, defend and block shots is a lot easier than finding a true #1a option.

Turiaf/Williams will suffice this year.

THEN, find a bench and a few snipers. Shawne Williams looks like he should be just fine, and even give us more than a sniper. Could he be a Bowen type player?

WITH THAT SAID, I do think we paid 1.50 on the dollar. That we should have got Carmelo at half the price. DOLAN screwed the whole thing up. Dolan's father cost Ewing a title, and now the son might have spoiled any shot this current squad has at winning a title. Maybe we get lucky and a few vets come aboard, and we hit another HR in the draft. Time will tell.

I doubt we get Carmelo had we rolled the dice and waited for free agency, but STILL... We should have been able to keep either Gallo or Felton, and if we dealt Felton we should have been able to hold on to Curry's expiring deal. In other words, Gallo and Curry or Felton and MOZ, we should have been able to retain one of those pairs. Bad job Dolan. He gets played again.

Last edited:

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
STOP IT.!!!

We don't need to keep crying over the spilled milk of a bunch of role players. We knew from the beginning that this was not going to be a simple trade. So we gave up some starters...we got a SUPERSTAR to go along with our other SUPERSTAR!!! Not to many teams in this league can say that. We are back on the map people. Charles Barkley can't say **IT about this. ESPN will start showing more highlights from the garden now. And you will start to see more Knick Jerseys out in the street than Yankee hats (well that may be a bit over the top)

Point is everything we gave up can be replaced in a season or 2. However what we got ... man is priceless. 2/3 of the puzzle is in place and this team looks exciting on paper and I'm sure once the orange and blue uniforms take to the floor we will soon forget about those role players (who shall not be named in this post).

NEW YORK is back with a vengeance!!!

mafra

Legend
STOP IT.!!!

We don't need to keep crying over the spilled milk of a bunch of role players. We knew from the beginning that this was not going to be a simple trade. So we gave up some starters...we got a SUPERSTAR to go along with our other SUPERSTAR!!! Not to many teams in this league can say that. We are back on the map people. Charles Barkley can't say **IT about this. ESPN will start showing more highlights from the garden now. And you will start to see more Knick Jerseys out in the street than Yankee hats (well that may be a bit over the top)

Point is everything we gave up can be replaced in a season or 2. However what we got ... man is priceless. 2/3 of the puzzle is in place and this team looks exciting on paper and I'm sure once the orange and blue uniforms take to the floor we will soon forget about those role players (who shall not be named in this post).

NEW YORK is back with a vengeance!!!

Yeah, it's crazy how talking heads screamed that NYK did not have the assets to make this tarde, that we didn't have anything attractive... NOw they say we gave up too much? Even claim that Carmelo doesn't make us better? Wont work with STAT? We haven't improved? The same people who said STAT wasn't a star, was more a good player made great by NASH.

These guys...

If the Nyets made this deal... great trade. Good for NBA. DEN got a sweet load. COME ON? Gallo is better than anything they'll draft with those 4 picks. WEEK draft class this year and next. Mozgov is probably better than favors, who is doing nothing this year.

As for NY, saying Melo adds nothing... INSANE. Did Kobe win w/out Shaq or Gasol? NOPE> Lakers missed playoffs even. Melo arrived in DEN and they won 15 games, his rookie year he had them in the playoffs. People just like to hear themselves talk.