Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

nuckles2k2

Superstar
First of all let's stop with the Mythical talk of Melo being constantly double and triple teamed on a nightly basis.

We lose with him getting single coverage many nights during the regular season.

For crying out loud Micheal Kidd Gilchrist treated him like the stepfather he wish he never saw.

For the love of chucking this Albatross shot 9-29 against the almighty Bucks being guarded by Middleton and Alawatweedudah…..Yeah who are they? I know that's what I was thinking when typing their names.

In the Playoffs he's shown us he can't do all the damage drumpt up in so many faulty cabbages by fans running with this line of thinking. He has been bodied by the likes of George/Battier/Lebron/Dengs/Jeff Green etc etc…..then you have the Kawhais/Batums/Parsons/Iggy getting they groove on

And you most certainly don't want to put him back out west to deal with San Antonio…..you know the team Melo NutButtmunchers caress as an excuse as to why he couldn't advance in the playoff while in Denver. San Antonio used the Clippers like a dirty hanky last year for your information and Melo solves none of the issues as to why that team would once again be a nightmare matchup for them.

When you talk Melo and Success…...you're talking Melo and Deadends

Melo almost never had single coverage. The defense loads his side of the court, more often than not. When he's iso'd on the left wing, and his teammates just stand and watch him, the defense is often set up to force him baseline and bring help with a big at the rim. His drive to the right is taken away with the extra defender that sags off his man to affect the drive and play the direct passing angle. The only way for the ball to get to his man is if it's swung around the perimeter, and that gives him a chance to get back.

Same thing with Melo on the right wing, but then he has an out with his driving right, baseline, and then making a quick attempt before the help is ready, and that's where he gets a lot of his offensive rebounds (I'd say the majority of his offensive boards come off of his own shots when he's driving right.)

I almost never see Melo in a straight up single coverage, where the defense isn't dictating what he can and can't do.

With this "genius" offense of "swing the ball around the perimeter" you're playing right into the defenses hands. With only one guy on Melo, at least until he makes his move, you can honor every one else who's just standing there. The defense is promoting a cross court pass to someone who's likely open in the complete opposite corner (how many times have we seen Melo do that?).

Our offense plays right into a defense that's loading the side with the ball. That's why it looks so much better with Prigs, because you can see him orchestrating on his way up the court with the ball. The offensive possession doesn't begin with dribbling the clock down and bailing out to Melo. Other players have to be accounted for earlier in the shot clock, and the possession may end with Melo and even then the defense is trying to account for all of his options, with more than one player, but because of the prior movement and Prigs directing, they don't have enough time to get it together and stop a dude who's a lethal scorer.

But you've seen Melo being played 1-on-1? Cause there's only one guy in the immediate vicinity? So the rest of the team's schematic positioning means nothing? The only times Melo is truly 1-on-1 is in transition, or if there's a break-down in the defense (which a comprehensive point guard will either create, or try to orchestrate.)

It doesn't matter who the player is, and who's bodying them when you have at least two more dudes on the court looking directly at the player with the ball...not even worried about who they're assigned to, because they know they'll be right there...cause they ain't gonna move.

Now...if you're talking about Melo in the post, being bodied up by someone on the low-block...that's a silly argument. Play in the post on the block does not equate to play on the perimeter, post or facing the basket.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
My brother got me a Melo 'Cuse jersey for Christmas and its very very sweet. Loved that title game. Need a Oak Hill one to complete the collection.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Passes Per Game
Anthony- 41.9
George- 45.8
James- 48.9
Durant- 39.0

Touches Per Game
Anthony- 70.0
George- 70.1
James- 72.2
Durant- 65.6

Percentage of touches that result in passes

Anthony- 59%
George- 65%
James- 67%
Durant- 59%

Anthony puts the ball in his teammates hands to make plays more often than the other guys or his teammates(JR Smith, Felton, Stoudimire) dont always shoot it off the pass from Anthony which is something we've seen especially with the double teams Melo draws.

Carmelo isn't in position to set up set teammates for shots other than draw double team and kick. George and James are in the pick n roll a lot and Durant comes off screens a ton which forces defenses to shift and create more passing lanes

This isn't Carmelo's flaw, but the flaw of the system. Carmelo is more than a capable passer.

People who cry about his "hero" tactics just will never understand Melo has to create his own offense because the lack of screens that are set for him and players being inept to take open shots.

BcMueSYIYAAbgBq.jpg

I am a fan of Melo but these are the stupidest stats. As if player touches mean he's doing everything possible to make his teammates better by passing the ball.

BOLOGNE.

Maybe Melo's ASSISTS aren't as high as people would like due to him juicing up that red clock.

I know that Melo passes the ball - last year he was doing it exceptionally well, but the issue is that its about when he chooses to pass it up.

He doesn't share the ball or allow movement amongst his teammates unless there's about 7 seconds on the shot clock. He isolates himself, does his dribble, jab, dribble, Pumpfake, then either chucks it up or hurries a pass that leads to bad shot selection due to time remaining and teammates not confident they can hurry a shot with 3 seconds left on the clock.

This is where his BALLHOGGING reputation stems from.

He's hurting his teammates' confidence.

Broadway

All Star
Melo almost never had single coverage. The defense loads his side of the court, more often than not. When he's iso'd on the left wing, and his teammates just stand and watch him, the defense is often set up to force him baseline and bring help with a big at the rim. His drive to the right is taken away with the extra defender that sags off his man to affect the drive and play the direct passing angle. The only way for the ball to get to his man is if it's swung around the perimeter, and that gives him a chance to get back.

Same thing with Melo on the right wing, but then he has an out with his driving right, baseline, and then making a quick attempt before the help is ready, and that's where he gets a lot of his offensive rebounds (I'd say the majority of his offensive boards come off of his own shots when he's driving right.)

I almost never see Melo in a straight up single coverage, where the defense isn't dictating what he can and can't do.

With this "genius" offense of "swing the ball around the perimeter" you're playing right into the defenses hands. With only one guy on Melo, at least until he makes his move, you can honor every one else who's just standing there. The defense is promoting a cross court pass to someone who's likely open in the complete opposite corner (how many times have we seen Melo do that?).

Our offense plays right into a defense that's loading the side with the ball. That's why it looks so much better with Prigs, because you can see him orchestrating on his way up the court with the ball. The offensive possession doesn't begin with dribbling the clock down and bailing out to Melo. Other players have to be accounted for earlier in the shot clock, and the possession may end with Melo and even then the defense is trying to account for all of his options, with more than one player, but because of the prior movement and Prigs directing, they don't have enough time to get it together and stop a dude who's a lethal scorer.

But you've seen Melo being played 1-on-1? Cause there's only one guy in the immediate vicinity? So the rest of the team's schematic positioning means nothing? The only times Melo is truly 1-on-1 is in transition, or if there's a break-down in the defense (which a comprehensive point guard will either create, or try to orchestrate.)

It doesn't matter who the player is, and who's bodying them when you have at least two more dudes on the court looking directly at the player with the ball...not even worried about who they're assigned to, because they know they'll be right there...cause they ain't gonna move.

Now...if you're talking about Melo in the post, being bodied up by someone on the low-block...that's a silly argument. Play in the post on the block does not equate to play on the perimeter, post or facing the basket.

I appreciate you speaking on the specific nuances of the game but sorry gotta chin check your reply

Melo is guarded for the most part singularly with some help defense but guess what….there are lots of offensive players in this league where defenses have schemes built in, to be the second line of help.

The players I mentioned in my post above guard him for the most singularly until he gets in the paint(which once again is the scheme most defenses will use no matter who enters once they past the first line of defense)

Fact…..

Melo is guarded mano-a-mano by….

Battier
George
Lebron
Deng
Micheal Kidd Gilchrist
Trevor Ariza
Martell Webster
Nicolas Batum
Paul Milsap
Alonzo Gee
Corey Brewer
Alan Anderson
Thaddeus Young
Jared Dudley
Shawn Marion
Al Farouq Aminu
Wilson Chandler
Josh Smith
Chris Middleton
Andre Iguodola
Ersan Illyasova

Now to Melo's credit he's gotten the better of some of these guys in spurts, he may see different guys from a single team thrown at him…... but please let's stop acting like Melo is seeing 2-3 defenders(simultaneously or even staggered) every game. He's not. No need to perpetuate such a lie. One of the primary reasons we know this to be because Melo for the most part is lazy and has poor shot selection. He shoots tons of jumpers. He doesn't have 2 defenders constantly lunging at his jump shots. Melo is doubled about 25% of his games if that, which is no different than any other major offensive threat in this league.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
I am a fan of Melo but these are the stupidest stats. As if player touches mean he's doing everything possible to make his teammates better by passing the ball.

BOLOGNE.

Maybe Melo's ASSISTS aren't as high as people would like due to him juicing up that red clock.

I know that Melo passes the ball - last year he was doing it exceptionally well, but the issue is that its about when he chooses to pass it up.

He doesn't share the ball or allow movement amongst his teammates unless there's about 7 seconds on the shot clock. He isolates himself, does his dribble, jab, dribble, Pumpfake, then either chucks it up or hurries a pass that leads to bad shot selection due to time remaining and teammates not confident they can hurry a shot with 3 seconds left on the clock.

This post has no value since you're highly overrated Melo's teammates acting like they're all star caliber players when most of the players on his team are below the average starter in the NBA.

Stop overrating Melo's team desperately to make it look like Melo has flaws in being a team. It makes you look very unfamilar with the NBA and just your prototypical Melo hater.

metrocard

Legend
and if you want some facts, let's take a look at Melo's teammates.

2nd leading scorer on the team is Bargnani.

He's shooting .437% which is the worst amongst 7 footers.
His abysmal 28% from downtown when 3pt shooting is suppose to be something he gets paid to do. He's a career 35% 3pt shooter so it's not he's a good 3pt shooter, average at best who settles to play on the perimeter too much.

Factor in his 5rpg in 30mpg and terrible defense and you have the worst starting PF/C in the NBA, arguably. He's by the most overpaid and that's not even an argument.

He is such a terrible fit next to Melo when we already had amare and Jr too. And Toronto was ready to amnesty him and would have taken anything for him. Yet we saved them a bunch of cash, there amnesty and tossed in picks. What a joke. We got ripped off as usual. Now no team will even deal with us unless we toss in picks and cash. Shows how clueless our front office is. We need someone with a clue. Knicks gave away multiple draft picks for free to Toronto...so they should be extremely happy that we provided them with a hopeful future.

JR Smith is the 3rd leading scorer on this team.
11 ppg
34% FG
34% 3pt
4.5 rebounds per game
terrible defense
Not a top 25 SG.

Raymond Felton
10 ppg
5 assist
39% FG
29% 3PT
Worst defender at his position, even worse than Jose Calderon
Not even a top 40 PG.

Tim Hardaway Jr.
Great rookie and has provided a lot for this team and proved me wrong as a doubter.

Amare Stoudemire
Even when he plays well he hurts the team.
He averages below 7 rebounds per 36 minutes
He gets abused on defense.

Chandler and Martin can't stay healthy.

World Peace and Prigioni get no minutes.

So who do you want Melo to play with when the majority of the roster are the weakest bunch in the NBA?

Hold that.

Last edited:

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
STOP..JUST STOP with all this team MELO BS.

Even if we do bring in a young up and coming PG that likes to play TEAM ball, MELO & JR will run him out of town the same way he did with LIN. The LIN situation is a PERFECT example of how MELO can never co-exist with another star in the big apple.

How long has MELO been in the league? How much success in the playoffs again? There will never be 'good' enough team for MELO. MELO is selfish, ball-hogging, spotlight stealing player. Anyone that think he can ever be successful in this league need to take another puff.

clumsy

Rotation player
This years issues stem from a bunch of things unrelated to Carmelo.

Once Tyson got hurt, I said the Knicks could miss the playoffs because we have no interior defenders besides him. Things should get better as Chandler gets more healthy but there is no question why we couldn't win anything without him. Yah Tyson has no offensive game other than dunks and alleyoops and he's not rebounding as well as he used to, but he does a good job protecting the rim. This is why i said a player like Omer Asik would be a huge help for this team. JR Smith is another problem this year. JR last year was putting up great numbers, and he played competitive d on a nightly basis (prob because he was only making 2 million). Most important about JR Last year was that he was getting to the line. This year he's probably putting up the worst stats of all time for someone who gets 30+ minutes a game. Too many times he just jacks it.

Broadway

All Star

Even if we do bring in a young up and coming PG that likes to play TEAM ball, MELO & JR will run him out of town the same way he did with LIN. The LIN situation is a PERFECT example of how MELO can never co-exist with another star in the big apple.

How long has MELO been in the league? How much success in the playoffs again? There will never be 'good' enough team for MELO. MELO is selfish, ball-hogging, spotlight stealing player. Anyone that think he can ever be successful in this league need to take another puff.

What's so sad about the TEAM MELO raggamuffins…not only has Melo's track been about as porous as it gets from a so called Superstar this guy only has about 2-3yrs max(we won't be in contention then either) current level of play. I mean we've seen the best he has to offer. So while we contemplate paying him astronomical financial security his skill set is going to diminish along with his health.

Why on earth are they allowing themselves to be brainwashed by his mediocre level of play?

Not to mention you have individuals(lust more fans) from his own camp saying things like…..

"I see why fans hate Melo"…."I'm cool with not paying him if it comes down to it"

ROTFLOLMNOP90X!!!!!!

metrocard

Legend

This is probably the most logical Melo hater in here and he yet still looks uneducated about the entire topic.

lol...Lin isn't even a top 15 PG, he will never be a star.
He's a good player.

metrocard

Legend
What's so sad about the TEAM MELO raggamuffins…not only has Melo's track been about as porous as it gets from a so called Superstar this guy only has about 2-3yrs max(we won't be in contention then either) current level of play. I mean we've seen the best he has to offer. So while we contemplate paying him astronomical financial security his skill set is going to diminish along with his health.

Why on earth are they allowing themselves to be brainwashed by his mediocre level of play?

Not to mention you have individuals(lust more fans) from his own camp saying things like…..

"I see why fans hate Melo"…."I'm cool with not paying him if it comes down to it"

ROTFLOLMNOP90X!!!!!!

You're the only moron who thinks a 26 ppg 9 rpg season by a SF is medicore.

Unlike Griffin, Rose, and other guys who purely rely on their athleticism to be successful...

Melo's game is timeless.

He will be a 20 ppg scorer until age 37-38 like Jordan was.

He's averaging 26 ppg on 45% with a bum shoulder, I know you're salty because of that but you have to hold that.

When I made the Melo is the New Glen Robinson thread, it was obvious that first half of the season Melo was playing mediocre averaging 20 ppg on 40% FG

26 ppg on 44-45% FG isn't mediocre, when you say it is everyone should just skip by your post because they really begin to make no sense.

You've been on troll mode.

Broadway

All Star
You're the only moron who thinks a 26 ppg 9 rpg season by a SF is medicore.

Unlike Griffin, Rose, and other guys who purely rely on their athleticism to be successful...

Melo's game is timeless.

He will be a 20 ppg scorer until age 37-38 like Jordan was.

He's averaging 26 ppg on 45% with a bum shoulder, I know you're salty because of that but you have to hold that.

When I made the Melo is the New Glen Robinson thread, it was obvious that first half of the season Melo was playing mediocre averaging 20 ppg on 40% FG

26 ppg on 44-45% FG isn't mediocre, when you say it is everyone should just skip by your post because they really begin to make no sense.

You've been on troll mode.

His level of play is mediocre because it comes at the expense of TEAM sustained success. His numbers are only good for Melo therefore you see more 14-14 and 36-30 and 9-19 records(.500 and below) in comparison to a sizzle no steak 54-28 records. Hell Lin saved his arse the 36-30 season. We're only 24 games(dwindling) above .500 since acquiring him 3yrs ago.

If his stat whore numbers are what they're cracked up to be surely we should see results closer to an APEX instead of DUNGEON

This clown is DESCENDING!!!!

As far as Griffin goes then great we're not trading Melo for him so let's put those falsematic rumors to rest. Although Griffin's game is morphing into a broader skill set(because he's the better PLAYER). Apparently you didn't watch any of last night's game.

You need to watch more basketball and stop posting pure emotional, hearth throbbing, erroneous irresponsible bibble-babble.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

BOLOGNE.

I agree with some of this post and metro's rebuttal.

Melo isn't a ballhog. Remember when Al Harrington was on the Knicks? He chucked everything in sight. I did like his heart though.

I agree with metro that Melo doesn't have the teammates who can score consistently. While I think some of it has to do with coaching, I do think he doesn't lead his teammates by trying to give them confidence sometimes. He's been much better the last few weeks with that. He passes up on double-teams a lot more than he used to. Melo trying to score on double-teams hasn't been working on this team even in the regular season against bad teams, so he should try to find some chemistry with his teammates even if it costs the team some games, try to fight through adversity by moving the ball. Him winning games all by himself hasn't been working. I think there's enough offensive talent on this team to be a lot better than this, which brings me to this...

I think a lot of it has to do with coaching. Look at his coaches on the Knicks...Woodson and D'Antoni. Is there any doubt that Kidd and the other long time veterans last season was a huge factor in the big positives for that team? J.R. last week shot the most threes in Knicks history, and D'Antoni wasn't coaching...

If the Knicks had a good coach and allowed Prigioni be the starter and World Peace to get good minutes, the team would be a lot better. Even Mike Breen doesn't hide who he thinks is the best PG on the team.

Sometimes with Melo it didn't seem like he was in rhythm either. When he shoots the fast Westbrook-style shot, he's not on. I've seen that several times this season. I don't know what the reason was. Injuries? Sick of the coaching and how the organization is run? He's not smiling like he used to. Has his motivation been deflated? Maybe the same thing is going on with Shumpert. Melo has gotten a lot of that rhythm back recently.

I do think Melo can do more than he is, he does have to make so changes, but this team is coached like CRAP.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
His level of play is mediocre because it comes at the expense of TEAM sustained success. His numbers are only good for Melo therefore you see more 14-14 and 36-30 and 9-19 records(.500 and below) in comparison to a sizzle no steak 54-28 records. Hell Lin saved his arse the 36-30 season. We're only 24 games(dwindling) above .500 since acquiring him 3yrs ago.

If his stat whore numbers are what they're cracked up to be surely we should see results closer to an APEX instead of DUNGEON

This clown is DESCENDING!!!!

As far as Griffin goes then great we're not trading Melo for him so let's put those falsematic rumors to rest. Although Griffin's game is morphing into a broader skill set(because he's the better PLAYER). Apparently you didn't watch any of last night's game.

You need to watch more basketball and stop posting pure emotional, hearth throbbing, erroneous irresponsible bibble-babble.
Did YOU WATCH that debacle on X-mas with Melo in street clothes???? I think YOU need to watch more games and stop posting your Haterade filled BS. Worst loss by a franchise playing on Xmas in NBA history tells me the Knicks are a lottery team without Melo. Really you are too new on KO.com to even have earned the right to have an opinion so just sit down somewhere and shut-up while the grown folks talk

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Did YOU WATCH that debacle on X-mas with Melo in street clothes???? I think YOU need to watch more games and stop posting your Haterade filled BS. Worst loss by a franchise playing on Xmas in NBA history tells me the Knicks are a lottery team without Melo. Really you are too new on KO.com to even have earned the right to have an opinion so just sit down somewhere and shut-up while the grown folks talk
Whether he's new or not, he's a good poster. One of the best newcomers on this site.

I posted my opinion on Melo in my previous post in here, so you know where I stand, but 3G4G makes legitimate points. Our record with Melo isn't good at all. On Christmas Prigioni and World Peace didn't play either. I don't remember how much K-Mart played, even so, he just came off an injury. It's not like the entire team was there and healthy minus Melo. It's not just Melo's absence that hurt.

Broadway

All Star

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=400489172

garycoleman-wtf.gif

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489172
+/-?.-40

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I appreciate you speaking on the specific nuances of the game but sorry gotta chin check your reply

Melo is guarded for the most part singularly with some help defense but guess what….there are lots of offensive players in this league where defenses have schemes built in, to be the second line of help.

The players I mentioned in my post above guard him for the most singularly until he gets in the paint(which once again is the scheme most defenses will use no matter who enters once they past the first line of defense)

Fact…..

Melo is guarded mano-a-mano by….

Battier
George
Lebron
Deng
Micheal Kidd Gilchrist
Trevor Ariza
Martell Webster
Nicolas Batum
Paul Milsap
Alonzo Gee
Corey Brewer
Alan Anderson
Thaddeus Young
Jared Dudley
Shawn Marion
Al Farouq Aminu
Wilson Chandler
Josh Smith
Chris Middleton
Andre Iguodola
Ersan Illyasova

Now to Melo's credit he's gotten the better of some of these guys in spurts, he may see different guys from a single team thrown at him…... but please let's stop acting like Melo is seeing 2-3 defenders(simultaneously or even staggered) every game. He's not. No need to perpetuate such a lie. One of the primary reasons we know this to be because Melo for the most part is lazy and has poor shot selection. He shoots tons of jumpers. He doesn't have 2 defenders constantly lunging at his jump shots. Melo is doubled about 25% of his games if that, which is no different than any other major offensive threat in this league.

I'm gonna make this quick, cause this article does most of the heavy lifting:

Inside the Chicago Bulls defense: What makes it so good?

Here's a video of the Bulls loading the court vs LeBron, WITH ONLY ONE PLAYER GUARDING HIM, and you can see the team's schematic at work:

From the right wing:

Overload2_crop_exact_zps7e6bdc86.png

From the left elbow w/ way more off-the-ball movement than the Knicks EVER have:

Here's the defense loading the side of the court, taking away LBJ's options, even tho he's D'd up one on one:

Overload1_crop_exact_zps2f1f222a.png

kinda blurry:

ScreenShot2013-12-27at41713PM_zpsa4f2e90c.png

ScreenShot2013-12-27at41740PM_zpseca222db.png

Notice the defender standing just above the free throw line in both pictures, then notice how that spot of the court is filled, vacated, then filled again in this vid. Letting the offensive player run behind the 3-pt line, and they're kind of zoned up, in position to take away any drives to the middle.

Then notice the cross-court pass like I talked about in the previous post...all the while, there is never more than one person on LBJ once he re-posts on the left wing:

Now...factor in the non-existent ball movement the Knicks have, and wouldn't it be easy for defenses to guard him (seemingly 1-on-1) when his teammates are spacing behind the 3-pt line, and Tyson is not an offensive threat at the 5?

The Bulls defense always has trouble with the Spurs since Thibs has been there. The perpetual motion, ball movement, and several players touching the ball in several different spots of the court makes this defense have to move way more than it wants to.

Prigs doesn't just move the ball more, but he makes his teammates move, and the D can't just stand there. I'm not, in any way, saying the defenses of the NBA are as good as the Bulls "Strong-side load" defense. But it's easy to implement when the opponents JUST STAND THERE LOOKING AT ONE PLAYER.

Your list of names is wholly irrelevant.

Last edited: