Page 70 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2040506465666768697071727374757690100 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1744

Thread: Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Superstar

Originally Posted by petescud
    Does anyone think we'd be able to get a first rounder (2014) and a decent player for Melo at this point

Let me ask you this question….

If you're GM of another team do you offer up a 2014 1st pick(near lottery region) and a young prospect for a player(not named Lebron or Durant) on a 9-19 team asking for near $30mil/yr with a bum shoulder…. for the next 5yrs?
    Last edited by 3G4G; Dec 26, 2013 at 14:50.

Superstar

Can you all imagine if Chandler and Gallo were here, both putting up 15/5 or thereabouts and we were sitting at 9-19….

ROTFLOLMNOP90X!!!!!!

Let me say, i didn't say also a young prospect. Just a decent player and a first rounder...On a side note, no i don't think they would, unless they wanted to win a championship this year, and Melo is the missing piece...

Teams i think would benefit with Melo playing for them and this maybe working out, considering, they would have to think they have a chance of resigning him...Clippers, Suns or Lakers with the last 2 not really having a chance to win this year

I still think Dolan keeps Melo, offers him rediculous $$$ to stay, and Melo realizes he will never win a ring

Originally Posted by 3G4G
    Let me ask you this question….

If you're GM another team do you offer up a 2014 1st pick(near lottery region) and a young prospect for a player(not named Lebron or Durant) on a 9-19 team asking for near $30mil/yr with a bum shoulder…. for the next 5yrs?

Veteran

Originally Posted by petescud
    unless they wanted to win a championship this year, and Melo is the missing piece...
    as u say, wont help the suns or lakers... BUT... u put melo on the clippers with CP3... on a team where its not melo against 3 defenders every time he touches the ball, that's a team that can go up against OKC, and the best of the west... and could give the heat a run tooo...

ofcourse I doubt he will be traded, and it will continue to be a long..long season...

Superstar

Originally Posted by paris401
    as u say, wont help the suns or lakers... BUT... u put melo on the clippers with CP3... on a team where its not melo against 3 defenders every time he touches the ball, that's a team that can go up against OKC, and the best of the west... and could give the heat a run tooo...

ofcourse I doubt he will be traded, and it will continue to be a long..long season...

First of all let's stop with the Mythical talk of Melo being constantly double and triple teamed on a nightly basis.

We lose with him getting single coverage many nights during the regular season.

For crying out loud Micheal Kidd Gilchrist treated him like the stepfather he wish he never saw.

For the love of chucking this Albatross shot 9-29 against the almighty Bucks being guarded by Middleton and Alawatweedudah…..Yeah who are they? I know that's what I was thinking when typing their names.

In the Playoffs he's shown us he can't do all the damage drumpt up in so many faulty cabbages by fans running with this line of thinking. He has been bodied by the likes of George/Battier/Lebron/Dengs/Jeff Green etc etc…..then you have the Kawhais/Batums/Parsons/Iggy getting they groove on

And you most certainly don't want to put him back out west to deal with San Antonio…..you know the team Melo NutButtmunchers caress as an excuse as to why he couldn't advance in the playoff while in Denver. San Antonio used the Clippers like a dirty hanky last year for your information and Melo solves none of the issues as to why that team would once again be a nightmare matchup for them.

When you talk Melo and Success…...you're talking Melo and Deadends

Originally Posted by 3G4G
    First of all let's stop with the Mythical talk of Melo being constantly double and triple teamed on a nightly basis.

We lose with him getting single coverage many nights during the regular season.

For crying out loud Micheal Kidd Gilchrist treated him like the stepfather he wish he never saw.

For the love of chucking this Albatross shot 9-29 against the almighty Bucks being guarded by Middleton and Alawatweedudah…..Yeah who are they? I know that's what I was thinking when typing their names.

In the Playoffs he's shown us he can't do all the damage drumpt up in so many faulty cabbages by fans running with this line of thinking. He has been bodied by the likes of George/Battier/Lebron/Dengs/Jeff Green etc etc…..then you have the Kawhais/Batums/Parsons/Iggy getting they groove on

And you most certainly don't want to put him back out west to deal with San Antonio…..you know the team Melo NutButtmunchers caress as an excuse as to why he couldn't advance in the playoff while in Denver. San Antonio used the Clippers like a dirty hanky last year for your information and Melo solves none of the issues as to why that team would once again be a nightmare matchup for them.

When you talk Melo and Success…...you're talking Melo and Deadends
    Melo almost never had single coverage. The defense loads his side of the court, more often than not. When he's iso'd on the left wing, and his teammates just stand and watch him, the defense is often set up to force him baseline and bring help with a big at the rim. His drive to the right is taken away with the extra defender that sags off his man to affect the drive and play the direct passing angle. The only way for the ball to get to his man is if it's swung around the perimeter, and that gives him a chance to get back.

Same thing with Melo on the right wing, but then he has an out with his driving right, baseline, and then making a quick attempt before the help is ready, and that's where he gets a lot of his offensive rebounds (I'd say the majority of his offensive boards come off of his own shots when he's driving right.)

I almost never see Melo in a straight up single coverage, where the defense isn't dictating what he can and can't do.

With this "genius" offense of "swing the ball around the perimeter" you're playing right into the defenses hands. With only one guy on Melo, at least until he makes his move, you can honor every one else who's just standing there. The defense is promoting a cross court pass to someone who's likely open in the complete opposite corner (how many times have we seen Melo do that?).

Our offense plays right into a defense that's loading the side with the ball. That's why it looks so much better with Prigs, because you can see him orchestrating on his way up the court with the ball. The offensive possession doesn't begin with dribbling the clock down and bailing out to Melo. Other players have to be accounted for earlier in the shot clock, and the possession may end with Melo and even then the defense is trying to account for all of his options, with more than one player, but because of the prior movement and Prigs directing, they don't have enough time to get it together and stop a dude who's a lethal scorer.

But you've seen Melo being played 1-on-1? Cause there's only one guy in the immediate vicinity? So the rest of the team's schematic positioning means nothing? The only times Melo is truly 1-on-1 is in transition, or if there's a break-down in the defense (which a comprehensive point guard will either create, or try to orchestrate.)

It doesn't matter who the player is, and who's bodying them when you have at least two more dudes on the court looking directly at the player with the ball...not even worried about who they're assigned to, because they know they'll be right there...cause they ain't gonna move.

Now...if you're talking about Melo in the post, being bodied up by someone on the low-block...that's a silly argument. Play in the post on the block does not equate to play on the perimeter, post or facing the basket.

My brother got me a Melo 'Cuse jersey for Christmas and its very very sweet. Loved that title game. Need a Oak Hill one to complete the collection.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Passes Per Game
    Anthony- 41.9
    George- 45.8
    James- 48.9
    Durant- 39.0

Touches Per Game
    Anthony- 70.0
    George- 70.1
    James- 72.2
    Durant- 65.6

Percentage of touches that result in passes

Anthony- 59%
    George- 65%
    James- 67%
    Durant- 59%

Anthony puts the ball in his teammates hands to make plays more often than the other guys or his teammates(JR Smith, Felton, Stoudimire) dont always shoot it off the pass from Anthony which is something we've seen especially with the double teams Melo draws.

Carmelo isn't in position to set up set teammates for shots other than draw double team and kick. George and James are in the pick n roll a lot and Durant comes off screens a ton which forces defenses to shift and create more passing lanes

This isn't Carmelo's flaw, but the flaw of the system. Carmelo is more than a capable passer.

People who cry about his "hero" tactics just will never understand Melo has to create his own offense because the lack of screens that are set for him and players being inept to take open shots.

I am a fan of Melo but these are the stupidest stats. As if player touches mean he's doing everything possible to make his teammates better by passing the ball.

BOLOGNE.

Maybe Melo's ASSISTS aren't as high as people would like due to him juicing up that red clock.

I know that Melo passes the ball - last year he was doing it exceptionally well, but the issue is that its about when he chooses to pass it up.

He doesn't share the ball or allow movement amongst his teammates unless there's about 7 seconds on the shot clock. He isolates himself, does his dribble, jab, dribble, Pumpfake, then either chucks it up or hurries a pass that leads to bad shot selection due to time remaining and teammates not confident they can hurry a shot with 3 seconds left on the clock.

This is where his BALLHOGGING reputation stems from.

He's hurting his teammates' confidence.

Superstar

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Melo almost never had single coverage. The defense loads his side of the court, more often than not. When he's iso'd on the left wing, and his teammates just stand and watch him, the defense is often set up to force him baseline and bring help with a big at the rim. His drive to the right is taken away with the extra defender that sags off his man to affect the drive and play the direct passing angle. The only way for the ball to get to his man is if it's swung around the perimeter, and that gives him a chance to get back.

Same thing with Melo on the right wing, but then he has an out with his driving right, baseline, and then making a quick attempt before the help is ready, and that's where he gets a lot of his offensive rebounds (I'd say the majority of his offensive boards come off of his own shots when he's driving right.)

I almost never see Melo in a straight up single coverage, where the defense isn't dictating what he can and can't do.

With this "genius" offense of "swing the ball around the perimeter" you're playing right into the defenses hands. With only one guy on Melo, at least until he makes his move, you can honor every one else who's just standing there. The defense is promoting a cross court pass to someone who's likely open in the complete opposite corner (how many times have we seen Melo do that?).

Our offense plays right into a defense that's loading the side with the ball. That's why it looks so much better with Prigs, because you can see him orchestrating on his way up the court with the ball. The offensive possession doesn't begin with dribbling the clock down and bailing out to Melo. Other players have to be accounted for earlier in the shot clock, and the possession may end with Melo and even then the defense is trying to account for all of his options, with more than one player, but because of the prior movement and Prigs directing, they don't have enough time to get it together and stop a dude who's a lethal scorer.

But you've seen Melo being played 1-on-1? Cause there's only one guy in the immediate vicinity? So the rest of the team's schematic positioning means nothing? The only times Melo is truly 1-on-1 is in transition, or if there's a break-down in the defense (which a comprehensive point guard will either create, or try to orchestrate.)

It doesn't matter who the player is, and who's bodying them when you have at least two more dudes on the court looking directly at the player with the ball...not even worried about who they're assigned to, because they know they'll be right there...cause they ain't gonna move.

Now...if you're talking about Melo in the post, being bodied up by someone on the low-block...that's a silly argument. Play in the post on the block does not equate to play on the perimeter, post or facing the basket.

I appreciate you speaking on the specific nuances of the game but sorry gotta chin check your reply

Melo is guarded for the most part singularly with some help defense but guess what….there are lots of offensive players in this league where defenses have schemes built in, to be the second line of help.

The players I mentioned in my post above guard him for the most singularly until he gets in the paint(which once again is the scheme most defenses will use no matter who enters once they past the first line of defense)

Fact…..

Melo is guarded mano-a-mano by….

Battier
    George
    Lebron
    Deng
    Micheal Kidd Gilchrist
    Trevor Ariza
    Martell Webster
    Nicolas Batum
    Paul Milsap
    Alonzo Gee
    Corey Brewer
    Alan Anderson
    Thaddeus Young
    Jared Dudley
    Shawn Marion
    Al Farouq Aminu
    Wilson Chandler
    Josh Smith
    Chris Middleton
    Andre Iguodola
    Ersan Illyasova

Now to Melo's credit he's gotten the better of some of these guys in spurts, he may see different guys from a single team thrown at him…... but please let's stop acting like Melo is seeing 2-3 defenders(simultaneously or even staggered) every game. He's not. No need to perpetuate such a lie. One of the primary reasons we know this to be because Melo for the most part is lazy and has poor shot selection. He shoots tons of jumpers. He doesn't have 2 defenders constantly lunging at his jump shots. Melo is doubled about 25% of his games if that, which is no different than any other major offensive threat in this league.
    Last edited by 3G4G; Dec 26, 2013 at 22:44.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Scribbles
    I am a fan of Melo but these are the stupidest stats. As if player touches mean he's doing everything possible to make his teammates better by passing the ball.

BOLOGNE.

Maybe Melo's ASSISTS aren't as high as people would like due to him juicing up that red clock.

I know that Melo passes the ball - last year he was doing it exceptionally well, but the issue is that its about when he chooses to pass it up.

He doesn't share the ball or allow movement amongst his teammates unless there's about 7 seconds on the shot clock. He isolates himself, does his dribble, jab, dribble, Pumpfake, then either chucks it up or hurries a pass that leads to bad shot selection due to time remaining and teammates not confident they can hurry a shot with 3 seconds left on the clock.

This is where his BALLHOGGING reputation stems from.

He's hurting his teammates' confidence.
    This post has no value since you're highly overrated Melo's teammates acting like they're all star caliber players when most of the players on his team are below the average starter in the NBA.

Stop overrating Melo's team desperately to make it look like Melo has flaws in being a team. It makes you look very unfamilar with the NBA and just your prototypical Melo hater.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

and if you want some facts, let's take a look at Melo's teammates.

2nd leading scorer on the team is Bargnani.

He's shooting .437% which is the worst amongst 7 footers.
    His abysmal 28% from downtown when 3pt shooting is suppose to be something he gets paid to do. He's a career 35% 3pt shooter so it's not he's a good 3pt shooter, average at best who settles to play on the perimeter too much.

Factor in his 5rpg in 30mpg and terrible defense and you have the worst starting PF/C in the NBA, arguably. He's by the most overpaid and that's not even an argument.

He is such a terrible fit next to Melo when we already had amare and Jr too. And Toronto was ready to amnesty him and would have taken anything for him. Yet we saved them a bunch of cash, there amnesty and tossed in picks. What a joke. We got ripped off as usual. Now no team will even deal with us unless we toss in picks and cash. Shows how clueless our front office is. We need someone with a clue. Knicks gave away multiple draft picks for free to Toronto...so they should be extremely happy that we provided them with a hopeful future.

JR Smith is the 3rd leading scorer on this team.
    11 ppg
    34% FG
    34% 3pt
    4.5 rebounds per game
    terrible defense
    Not a top 25 SG.

Raymond Felton
    10 ppg
    5 assist
    39% FG
    29% 3PT
    Worst defender at his position, even worse than Jose Calderon
    Not even a top 40 PG.

Tim Hardaway Jr.
    Great rookie and has provided a lot for this team and proved me wrong as a doubter.

Amare Stoudemire
    Even when he plays well he hurts the team.
    He averages below 7 rebounds per 36 minutes
    He gets abused on defense.

Chandler and Martin can't stay healthy.

World Peace and Prigioni get no minutes.

So who do you want Melo to play with when the majority of the roster are the weakest bunch in the NBA?

Hold that.
    Last edited by metrocard; Dec 27, 2013 at 01:04.

Veteran

Originally Posted by metrocard
    So who do you want Melo to play with when the majority of the roster are the weakest bunch in the NBA?
    Hold that.
    who put this team together...Michael Jordan...???

STOP..JUST STOP with all this team MELO BS.

Even if we do bring in a young up and coming PG that likes to play TEAM ball, MELO & JR will run him out of town the same way he did with LIN. The LIN situation is a PERFECT example of how MELO can never co-exist with another star in the big apple.

How long has MELO been in the league? How much success in the playoffs again? There will never be 'good' enough team for MELO. MELO is selfish, ball-hogging, spotlight stealing player. Anyone that think he can ever be successful in this league need to take another puff.

Veteran

Originally Posted by LINvincible
    Anyone that think he can ever be successful in this league need to take another puff.

Lin... don't bogart that joint... pass it over this way...

Superstar

This years issues stem from a bunch of things unrelated to Carmelo.

Once Tyson got hurt, I said the Knicks could miss the playoffs because we have no interior defenders besides him. Things should get better as Chandler gets more healthy but there is no question why we couldn't win anything without him. Yah Tyson has no offensive game other than dunks and alleyoops and he's not rebounding as well as he used to, but he does a good job protecting the rim. This is why i said a player like Omer Asik would be a huge help for this team. JR Smith is another problem this year. JR last year was putting up great numbers, and he played competitive d on a nightly basis (prob because he was only making 2 million). Most important about JR Last year was that he was getting to the line. This year he's probably putting up the worst stats of all time for someone who gets 30+ minutes a game. Too many times he just jacks it.