Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Paul1355

All Star
Interesting article comparing what Melo can make in Houston or Dallas where there is no state tax vs. NYC with state and local taxes. He can actually net more per year in Houston over NY by about 500K a year. Of course NY can sign him for an additional year which makes the total contract more but just another factor in why the Knicks may lose Melo.

How much Carmelo can make as an NBA free agent

inShare​

textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif

140617133134-carmelo-anthony-single-image-cut.jpg

Carmelo Anthony can sign for more money and an extra year with his incumbent team, the Knicks.
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

Would you forgo a minimum of $11.4 million in guaranteed net income and possibly much more to play with Derrick Rose, LeBron James or Dwight Howard? Reports suggest that Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony might be willing to do just that. Anthony, who has made more than $130 million in salary and tens of millions in endorsements during his 11-year NBA career, has until Monday to inform New York whether he will opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent on July 1. Several media reports indicate that Anthony will test free agency and explore signing with the Bulls, Heat or Rockets.

Despite Anthony's apparent intentions, the NBA's collective bargaining agreement creates powerful incentives for the seven-time All-Star to remain with the Knicks. Under the CBA, so-called Larry Bird rights enable a team to re-sign qualifying players for an extra year and at higher annual increases than they would receive if they signed with another team. A player qualifies for Bird rights by being on the team's roster for at least three seasons, among several other conditions adroitly explained by Larry Coon in his NBA Salary Cap FAQ. Anthony, who has been a Knick since February 2011, meets the criteria and can sign with New York for five years and $129.1 million. Rival teams can offer him a four-year, $95.9 million deal, after which Anthony would be a 34-year-old free agent.
ROUNDTABLE: What should LeBron do this offseason?
Anthony's financial decision-making is also affected by income tax rates, which vary widely by state and, as New York City residents know, municipality. SI.com and tax expert Robert Raiola have crunched the numbers for Anthony (whose projected contract amounts are provided by Spotrac.com). We break down how much he would likely earn, after taxes and the standard 4 percent agent commission, if he signed max deals with the Knicks, Bulls, Heat and Rockets.
Keep in mind, however, that Chicago and Houston would have to make multiple moves to sign Anthony to anything approaching a max contract, and Miami would face an even more difficult challenge. If those teams fail to create the space, Anthony would have to sign for even less than what is indicated below:
140618083439-carmelo-anthony-salary-single-image-cut.jpg

Wages courtesy Spotrac.com

These numbers make clear that Anthony should be paid extraordinarily well regardless of the team employing him, the state he plays in and the income tax rates in the place he calls home. Anthony is also poised to earn millions in endorsements regardless of his decision. But these figures also reveal that the former scoring champion would be guaranteed $11.4 million to $12.8 million more in take-home pay if he re-signs with the Knicks. Put differently, Anthony, as a "max player," would be paid substantially different amounts of money to perform the same employment services merely because he already plays for New York. Anthony could sign with the Bulls, Heat or Rockets and then, as a free agent in 2018, try to recoup what he would have been paid by the Knicks in the '18-19 season, but chances are low he'd attract a base salary anywhere near $29 million.
FORTUNATE 50: Anthony among highest-earning American athletes
Should star players receive more to re-sign with their team and, conversely, less to sign with new teams? The NBA and its owners generally favor that stars stay put. From a marketing perspective, it is easier to build fan loyalty when franchises have long-term and stable associations with their best players. During the 1980s, the Celtics and Lakers attracted diehard fans by winning titles and persuading superstars Larry Bird and Magic Johnson to start and finish their careers with the same team. These type of players became associated with their franchises; to think of Johnson as anything but a Laker is impossible.
For many years the law also made it easier for teams to retain their stars. Until the rise of free agency and accompanying antitrust litigation in the 1970s, stars were generally obligated to remain with their teams. Players' contracts contained the infamous "reserve clause," which allowed teams to renew them on a year-by-year basis at modest increases. This effectively denied free agency unless a team cut a player loose. It is therefore not surprising that stars of the '50s and '60s like Bob Pettit, Elgin Baylor, Jack Twyman and Jerry West played their entire careers with the same team. They may have been loyal, but they were also contractually barred from being disloyal.
GALLERY: Classic photos of Carmelo Anthony
Bird rights are clearly not as onerous as the reserve clause, but they similarly place a restraint on the marketplace of stars. The restriction is simple: If you play for another team, you will earn much less money. Yet the message hasn't dissuaded some stars from relocating. Howard, for one, rejected the Lakers' five-year, $118 million offer in favor of a four-year, $87.6 million deal from the Rockets last year.
It will be interesting to watch if the players' association seeks changes to Bird rights. Either the NBA or union can opt out of the CBA in 2017, four years before it expires. Any changes to compensation must be collectively bargained. If higher salaries fail to motivate stars to stay with their teams, then why pay stars who leave less?
tiger this is all true but this ignores the fact that Melo's prestige and star power will never be what it is now in Houston. New York is one of the largest markets in the world and Houston isn;t. He would be more famous, sell more jerseys, and be in mvp races with New York. He would also recieve mega indorsement deals that he would not get in Houston. Derek Jeter made so much money of indorsements its ridiculous...if you do well in NY then the city will take care of your fame and fortunes.

Houston he has a chance for a ring and thats why he would go there, not for the money. I think he cares less about 500 k when he has made millions and will make more until he dies

CoolClyde

i don't think it really matters if Melo's in NY or Houston or Chicago to get endorsements, his agent is able to get him national and worldwide deals based on his visibility quotient, not just being NY-based. there's only so much the guy can do with his time, look at LeBron; Miami is not the epicenter of media, yet his endorsements are thru the roof. Jeter gets local crap that Melo does not need or care to do based on his time availability. no matter where Melo goes, his name is gold. NY/C's state and local tax is another animal to deal with, tearing chunks of cash out of his pocket, i'm talking millions, that he won't be as subject to (as much) playing in another town. besides, he's got roots here that he'll never lose, so he's set as far as being a native new yorker and endorsements.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Houston already played us once guys with the "poison pill" deal for Lin. Remember that?? I think Jeremy has a 15 million $$$$ price tag this year. And another dose of "Blobman and the J Linitics???" No thanks:(

Paul1355

All Star
i don't think it really matters if Melo's in NY or Houston or Chicago to get endorsements, his agent is able to get him national and worldwide deals based on his visibility quotient, not just being NY-based. there's only so much the guy can do with his time, look at LeBron; Miami is not the epicenter of media, yet his endorsements are thru the roof. Jeter gets local crap that Melo does not need or care to do based on his time availability. no matter where Melo goes, his name is gold. NY/C's state and local tax is another animal to deal with, tearing chunks of cash out of his pocket, i'm talking millions, that he won't be as subject to (as much) playing in another town. besides, he's got roots here that he'll never lose, so he's set as far as being a native new yorker and endorsements.

According to forbes.com he makes 8 mil a year from indorsements and his jersey sales were never higher. He wants to be the man and have the fame and even if he goes to the Rockets which I think is the best option for him, he wont be the man in a huge market. His prestige lowers because of the other star power in a lower market.
Its all about power and prestige and Melo left the Nuggets because of those reasons.
If he leaves, then we should do the sign and trade

Kiyaman

Legend
Charles Barkley on Dan Patricks show

Barkley forgot to mention how he left Phoenix to join the two year Championship Houston Rockets to get a 3rd Chip.

Melo vs Love .. who's the better? who cares!
Who would u rather have on ur team? Neither!
They both are giant-liabilities on the defensive end.
Plus one is a SF who cant defend other SF, and the other is a PF who cant defend other PF.
So the two players keep switching positions SF/PF during a game which throws their own teammates off-track.
When u add it all up, the two players haven't been team-players in their NBA career.

tiger0330

Legend
Sir Charles talks about going to the Rockets to win a championship and how he took a pay cut so the Rox could sign Pippin. Chuck is always entertaining saying unfortunately he took the pay cut but Scottie didn't bring MJ with him and he wants his pay cut back.

Riley put to rest the Melo to Heat talk that Chuck said would be a traversty for the game by forming a big 4.

Broadway

All Star
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...bulls-new-york-knicks-opt-deadline-approaches

Melo checking in on Dat Chi-Town life Doe

New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony is doing his homework on the city of Chicago as the deadline to exercise the opt-out clause in his contract approaches.

According to league sources, Anthony has talked to at least one high-profile person who lives in Chicago about what it's like to be famous in the Windy City.

The Chicago Bulls are one of several teams with whom Anthony would consider signing if he decides to test free agency this summer, sources recently told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Bulls also have reportedly done their due diligence on Anthony in recent days.

According to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau has reached out to some of Anthony's former coaches to inquire about the seven-time All-Star.

Anthony has to inform the Knicks by Monday if he intends to opt out of the final year of his contract and test free agency. Throughout this past season, Anthony had indicated that he intends to become a free agent this summer.

Anthony's research regarding Chicago -- and Thibodeau's reported background check on Anthony -- is the latest indication that there is strong mutual interest between the former NBA scoring champion and the Bulls.

Sources told ESPN in March that Anthony talked to Bulls center Joakim Noah during All Star weekend about what it was like to play under Thibodeau. That conversation turned into a recruiting pitch from Noah to Anthony, sources told ESPN.com.

In addition to the Bulls, Anthony would consider signing with the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks if he tested free agency, sources say. The Miami Heat have also explored its available options in trying to pursue Anthony, ESPN.com reported earlier this month.

Knicks president Phil Jackson said recently that he hoped Anthony would consider opting into the final year of his contract and testing free agency in the summer of 2015. Jackson has privately expressed that hope to Anthony several times since the end of the regular season.

But a league source said earlier this month that Anthony hadn't changed his mind and remained committed to becoming a free agent this summer. Sources have said in recent days that it would take a monumental shift in thinking from Anthony for the 30-year-old to opt into the final year of his contract at this point.

Anthony can sign a maximum contract worth $129 million over five years with the Knicks. He can ink a maximum deal worth $96 million over four years with another team. Anthony has discussed the possibility of accepting less than a maximum contract to help the team that he signs with attract additional free agents.

skisloper

Starter
Carmelo chillin with the Pippens In Paris.

I'm really getting excited about him leaving because it looks like reality.

BqveygyCcAEWfmV.jpg

The question now is do we lose MELO and get nothing.....OR ...do we do a sign and trade......thoughts ?
Either way its for the best .....No way Melo will accept less to be a Knicks.......Good luck on the rockets ....with him and Harden battling for the ball and Howard crying he is not getting it good luck.....I would take Lin and Asik and Picks...

shemmue0311

Benchwarmer
Bes thing for the Knicks would be to sign and trade Melo to Houston. Houston is willing to basically give away Lin and Asik..both positions we desperately need depth in. Felton and Chandler won't play for the Knicks in 2015-2016 season and possibly moved before this season. Lin played great in NY and Asik is a solid center, both on one year deals that we can get rid of if they under achieve.

The pot of gold in this deal would be including Chandler Parsons, who is looking for a contract in the range of 10 million per year and Houston will not give it to him. Throw in a pick or Terrence Jones and you have a very attractive package for Melo. Possibly 4 starters or 3 starters and a 1st round pick.

Melo for Lin, Asik, Parson, Jones or 1st round pick.....both teams would pull the trigger on this unless Melo did not want more money.

Melo would get his max contract in a sign and trade and to a team that is in win-now mode. Knicks get players to increase their depth and become a more rounded, younger team. They can resign Parson as well due to everybody coming off the books
Was Thinking the same thing Lin, Asik, and Parsons and they can have Melo in Houston where he will fail miserably , Melo is not going to LEAD a team to a championship. Make this trade keep and develop our young players Hardaway and Shump who was horrible last year in part due to Woodson being inept. Save our money for the 15' FA class of Lebron,Durant, and Love .

tiger0330

Legend
The question now is do we lose MELO and get nothing.....OR ...do we do a sign and trade......thoughts ?
Either way its for the best .....No way Melo will accept less to be a Knicks.......Good luck on the rockets ....with him and Harden battling for the ball and Howard crying he is not getting it good luck.....I would take Lin and Asik and Picks...
He seems more interested in going to Chicago. Bill Simmons tweeted the Bulls want to put together a team of Rose, Noah, Melo, Taj and Affalo. Not sure how Simmons sees that getting done because I thought they had to get rid if Gibson to get Melo.

I agree he's not a good fit in Houston with another no D volume shooter in Harden and the west is a much tougher conference, the Suns didn't even make the playoffs. If he wants to get to the NBA finals for a chance to win a ring he'll stay in the EC.

Broadway

All Star
Was Thinking the same thing Lin, Asik, and Parsons and they can have Melo in Houston where he will fail miserably , Melo is not going to LEAD a team to a championship. Make this trade keep and develop our young players Hardaway and Shump who was horrible last year in part due to Woodson being inept. Save our money for the 15' FA class of Lebron,Durant, and Love .

We can't trade for Parsons he does not have a contract and we are currently over the Tax threshold apron. Until we get below it we can't do any S&T's. That's one of the reasons that Bargnani trade pissed me off. You can't be $4mil over the Tax. The Tax is set at $71.3mil currently until the new figures come out in a couple weeks.

We can S&T Carmelo if it results in us being below the arpon but it's going to be complicated for us, because we have to meet trade requirements in being within the 150% rule.... salary going out and coming in.

Carmelo would have to consider a significant paycut($16mil/yr or thereabouts) to achieve roster with Afflalo, but supposedly they were good friends when in Denver. Otherwise Bulls will have to move Gibson more than likely. Carmelo has obviously sent them strong signals...Thibs has been doing coaching background checkup on Melo's bball history.

jimkcchief88

All Star
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=11120382&city=newyork

This article is for 3G and the rest of the Melo haters who can't wait to show Melo the gate. If Melo comes here to Chicago I'm am throwing down the colors and joining the Bullies with him. I am not suffering through ANOTHER rebuild led by STAT and Andrea Bargiani( insert Steven A saying Tiago Splitter). Like WV would say:"I'm threw" and " I am dun." I say no to more rebuilding, rookie head coaches and pipe dreams. I reserve the right to switch NBA teams every two decades or so when my team does dumb things that prove they aren't about winning. Haven't had to do it since my Sixers traded Chuck and I gave up on them and became a Knicks fan. "I did the Right Thing". "Black Panther was a Knicks fan." I saw some great basketball. But today's Knicks are more about headlines and Forbes valuations than winning and I am sick to death of it.:(

skisloper

Starter

This article is for 3G and the rest of the Melo haters who can't wait to show Melo the gate. If Melo comes here to Chicago I'm am throwing down the colors and joining the Bullies with him. I am not suffering through ANOTHER rebuild led by STAT and Andrea Bargiani( insert Steven A saying Tiago Splitter). Like WV would say:"I'm threw" and " I am dun." I say no to more rebuilding, rookie head coaches and pipe dreams. I reserve the right to switch NBA teams every two decades or so when my team does dumb things that prove they aren't about winning. Haven't had to do it since my Sixers traded Chuck and I gave up on them and became a Knicks fan. "I did the Right Thing". "Black Panther was a Knicks fan." I saw some great basketball. But today's Knicks are more about headlines and Forbes valuations than winning and I am sick to death of it.:(

So if MELO chooses to leave your are a Knicks fan anymore......sounds a bit pathetic but I think you live in Chicago so makes a bit of sense.....

One has to say if Melo leaves and we do a sign and trade.....We will get expiring 1 year contracts, Draft picks< we will suck next year so should end up in the lottery along with having all our cap space to go big......To me with Phil Jackson and Fisher and 2015 looking like we will FINALLY have picks/cap space and Smart people running us it will be DO or DIE..........We die there will be many of us that will have had enough of the Knicks...

Kiyaman

Legend
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...anthony-new-york-knicks-says-wants-free-agent

October 17, 2013, 2:22 PM ET

New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony said in a recent interview that he wants to opt out of the final year of his contract this summer and test free agency.

"I want to be a free agent," Anthony told the New York Observer. "I think everybody in the NBA dreams to be a free agent at least one time in their career. It's like you have an evaluation period, you know. It's like if I'm in the gym and I have all the coaches, all the owners, all the GMs come into the gym and just evaluate everything I do. So yes, I want that experience."

I thought this was interesting. I think he will ultimately re up with the Knicks. its cool that he just came out with it instead of down playing it. What do you guys think?

ps. if this is already posted, forgive me

On October 18, 2013. after 3 preseason games were the time to take Melo serious, and trade Melo ASAP before Thanks Giving to show just how serious the Knicks Fans and Knicks Organization take their Knicks basketball.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend

Chief we'll miss you around here but are you staying and rooting for the Knicks if Melo goes to Houston?

CoolClyde

so are you a Knicks fan or a Melo fan? Knicks fans bleed Orange and Blue and are behind the team no matter what. this entire Knicks organization has been f*cked with by James Dolan for the past dozen years or so. Hiring Phil Jackson and having one last year of stupid trades involving draft picks petering out should be the impetus to be excited about the Knicks future. Dolan and his cronies f*cked up from day one, yet you stayed a Knicks fan, why? this is Melo's decision to make, do you think Phil should offer Melo the max so the team is f*cked for years to come, or allow him to make a decision based on his wanting to win now? In a sense, you and Melo are in the same boat, as there is no chance of winning now if he leaves NY hanging with no compensation, yet doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding Knicks team where he has to take less money to win in the next couple years.

If Melo's leaving/coming to Chicago is the only reason for you to change colors, perhaps you should just leave KO now and get it over with. that's your decision.

props for quoting WV.

mafra

Legend
Is 'Melo to CLE a possibility? Accoding to Frank Isola today:

"There are unconfirmed reports of the Cleveland Cavaliers being willing to trade the No. 1 overall pick in a sign-and- trade for Anthony. However, Anthony would only consider Cleveland if the Cavs were able to sign LeBron James. That scenario seems remote. James has until the end of the week to notify the Heat of his plans to either opt out or opt in to his current contract."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...k-test-market-article-1.1840244#ixzz35Tu5DC6S

I was wondering why CLE was quit on the K-Love front... could it be hey have a trick up their sleeve? Kyrie and Melo a better duo for Lebron, at this stage, than Bosh and Wade. Going home also repairs his image. For James, to escape MIA before ship sinks AND get to a better situation (to win) is the perfect scenario, no?

U N L E S S ... Gilbert blew up the bridge and LJ just refuses to play for tat owner, or unless LJ I follower and easily manipulated (used) by Wade and Riley... can't say that the cold ad snow is what prohibits LJ from leaving the South beach. HEY LEBRON, if those fans flee early... why stay loyal to that?

For NYK... get #1, trade Chandler and Shump for picks/assets... Endure losing season to develop youth... grab another lottery pick next summer, sign 1 max player next July... get ready for Durant 2016.