Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

jimkcchief88

All Star
Like someone said Happy Wife Happy Life plus 129M makes the decision easier. I have a feeling Phil gives Melo less than a max contract though, I suggested max 4 year money spread over 5. Someone posted here that the Bulls didn't offer him max money, Houston might not be able to, Dallas isn't really wasn't interested Carlisle wasn't even there. Let's see what the Lakers offer him but why offer him max money when no one else does.
Because you can:)
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkknicks&id=57774&city=newyork

jimkcchief88

All Star
I am loving this:) You cats have been bangin' on Melo all season..."ISO-Melo" this and " Melo-sucks" that. 3GduME already has Melo gone, the Knicks tanking next season, and in the lottery next year lol. But "Big Chief Triangle" has offered MELO the MAX so argue with that Melo-haters. Now call Phil all them names you been calling me all season. And let it soak into your pea brains that your basketball IQ is low and take a little coaching from Phil on Chief:)

paris401

Starter
uHe gonna come back beggin Phil for a big-pay-day

if melo comes back, he doesn't give a $hit about a title, only interested in $$$... and there is nothing wrong with that...BUT... don't go around talking about how important a ring is... as u aint in the same league as a Duncan,dirk (if reports are correct), james,wade,bosh...etc..

if he stays, he will be what he has always been... a 2nd rate star....

Regardless of what you think about Melo's game, one thing is certain, if we resign him and we keep our cap space from Stat and Bargnani at the end of this season, we will be heavily in play for another star player to come to NY. If I've learned nothing else from these few days of Melo free agency, it's that the players and front offices in this league, including among top teams, covet him, even if the playoff results are not there. If we don't resign Melo, I'm not sure we get one star player who wants to come here, let alone two, a year from now. It's a kind of risk/reward, pick your poison.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Regardless of what you think about Melo's game, one thing is certain, if we resign him and we keep our cap space from Stat and Bargnani at the end of this season, we will be heavily in play for another star player to come to NY. If I've learned nothing else from these few days of Melo free agency, it's that the players and front offices in this league, including among top teams, covet him, even if the playoff results are not there. If we don't resign Melo, I'm not sure we get one star player who wants to come here, let alone two, a year from now. It's a kind of risk/reward, pick your poison.

Well put it's only the kno nothings in "basketball bizarro world" of KO.com that Melo sucks. The rest of the real NBA market knows what I have BEEN saying all along: Melo is one of the top five players in the league on Chief:)

skisloper

Starter
Well put it's only the kno nothings in "basketball bizarro world" of KO.com that Melo sucks. The rest of the real NBA market knows what I have BEEN saying all along: Melo is one of the top five players in the league on Chief:)

Wrong....there are 2 free agents worth a max deal...Lebron and Melo......Not every team is all bout NBA finals...Melo is a draw and yes a heck of a scorer.....IF Melo signs with NY or Lakers if he really wanted to WIN a Title he would know he would need to sacrifice just like other stars have done.......MELO CANNOT WIN WITHOUT REAL SUPPORT.....

Look at your beloved Bulls......They offered him 17 million........they could have cleared more but at some point Melos talent vs what they lose puts them in the same situation....Melo needs to sacrifice his Money and his scoring to win a title....we will see what he decides....

Broadway

All Star
Wrong....there are 2 free agents worth a max deal...Lebron and Melo......Not every team is all bout NBA finals...Melo is a draw and yes a heck of a scorer.....IF Melo signs with NY or Lakers if he really wanted to WIN a Title he would know he would need to sacrifice just like other stars have done.......MELO CANNOT WIN WITHOUT REAL SUPPORT.....

Look at your beloved Bulls......They offered him 17 million........they could have cleared more but at some point Melos talent vs what they lose puts them in the same situation....Melo needs to sacrifice his Money and his scoring to win a title....we will see what he decides....

He's been offered the full max on several occasions by our inept front office. Why would Melo take anything less than Max from us, when he's been offered less by teams in better positions than us.

Horrific negotiating by us. Phil has essentially played the fan base through the media...and it appears business as usual with the Knicks. This is epically sad, really it is. I mean who bids against themselves in a negotiation?

CoolClyde

Horrific negotiating by us. Phil has essentially played the fan base through the media...and it appears business as usual with the Knicks. This is epically sad, really it is. I mean who bids against themselves in a negotiation?

James Dolan

Broadway

All Star
James Dolan

Then Phil's salary is clearly unjustified and he can't be....blamed nor given credit success or failure as he's nothing more than an overpriced puppet figurehead. All this falls of the lap of Dolan as it appears nothing has changed

This is why I said in other threads Phil needed to keep his trap shut about publicly negotiating with Melo through the media and using public opinion as a means to assess a situation. Talk about manipulation. There was no need to go down the path of sacrificing salary on Melo's part if all along we've been offering absolute top dollar. I find this actually incredibly disrespectful. It would've been better if he would've come out and stated from jump...the organization will do whatever it takes to retain Melo. While I still would have loathe the sentiment I could have respected the stance.

I have absolutely zero respect for Phil Jackson and how he's conducted himself at this point. NONE!

Could Melo still take less from us when it's all said and done?... I guess there's less than 0% chance he does but I doubt it and why should he?

CoolClyde

calm down. have faith in Phil. i don't think he's done anything wrong thus far. Melo can follow in the Heat's footsteps and take less to help Phil and the team out, and all this talk about the max is all hearsay. as you said, why should he? to win? or to make mo money? that is the question. but seriously, get off Phil's back and chillax.

Broadway

All Star
calm down. have faith in Phil. i don't think he's done anything wrong thus far. Melo can follow in the Heat's footsteps and take less to help Phil and the team out, and all this talk about the max is all hearsay. as you said, why should he? to win? or to make mo money? that is the question. but seriously, get off Phil's back and chillax.

Okay I did leave the 0% chance he takes less....lol

What if he officially gets offered the Max and accepts then what? Would you see this as a positive in what Phil did or negative?

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I like what Phil has done in general so far, but I'm a little surprised by the max offer. The only thing I could see why he did it is he knows he and Fisher got HUGE deals for being brand new at their jobs, and Melo was a big priority, though not max contract priority, but he felt that Melo would feel disrespected if he wasn't offered the most he could get.

We'll see how it goes. Maybe Phil will tell Melo he'll guarantee the max will be on the table, but assure him if he takes less it will be beneficial, then tell him whatever he does he'll support him 100%.

Also who knows with James Dolan.

Melo has phenomenal talent, I want to see how he does with this new regime. I also want to see how STAT does. Stoudemire seems very disciplined with his health and practicing, so maybe he'll continue to be very good/great.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Uhhhh Nobody can win without real support... Lebron just found that out....he looked during the FINALS like MELO did ALL SEASON LONG ON CHiEF:)

Bigsav

Rookie
Uhhhh Nobody can win without real support... Lebron just found that out....he looked during the FINALS like MELO did ALL SEASON LONG ON CHiEF:)

Melo given the max nooooooooooooo! Are they crazy! Max contracts should only be reserved for champions! What has Melo done in his career to deserve it?

Kiyaman

Legend
Its official people!!! If it is true that the knicks offered melo that huge contract then The people who run the Knicks front office is the dumbest of all sports.To GIVE a guy money that will never win you a championship b/c he has a me.myself and I attitude is the dumbest thing ever. This move shows that they DO NOT CARE about becoming a sucessful team like the Knicks used to be. Get ready people let the loosing continue but look at the bright side you will get to watch melo shoot 100 times and scoring 40 points a game. :wallbash:

Owner Dolan .. Owner Dolan
Owner James Dolan want to keep ISO-Melo in a Knicks uniform at all costs to SAVE-FACE.

We have to face facts.
Would Melo's high scoring get the Bulls to the FINALS? or Rockets? or Mavs? or Fakers?
HELL NO!
So why has Phil Jackson change his mind on selfish ISO-Melo???

ISO-Melo is Pimping James Dolan.
It's now official, Dolan hired Phil Jackson to help a selfish ISO-Melo win more than 3 playoff series.
Phil Jackson is out of NY after 1 or 2 seasons. :smokin:

Kiyaman

Legend
If Phil's plans are to use Calderon as Knicks starting PG, then sign Pau Gasol, then resign selfish ISO-Melo. Next season will get us a nice low LOTTERY pick in the 2015 draft.

We will be getting the Washington Wizards Mike Jordan in Phil Jackson.

CoolClyde

if Me-Lo gave Pow Gasol a call asking him to join him on the Knicks, do you think he's going to ask Phil for a reduction in salary so the team can afford to give Pow market value, or will Me-Lo take the max and let the 3+Million chips fall where they will and hope Pow comes to the team dirt cheap? this is Me-Lo's call if he wants to make it happen and make the team better.

Broadway

All Star
if Me-Lo gave Pow Gasol a call asking him to join him on the Knicks, do you think he's going to ask Phil for a reduction in salary so the team can afford to give Pow market value, or will Me-Lo take the max and let the 3+Million chips fall where they will and hope Pow comes to the team dirt cheap? this is Me-Lo's call if he wants to make it happen and make the team better.

It doesn't matter what Melo does in terms of taking a paycut. We were a Tax Paying team therefore we can only offer Pau $3.3-3.7mil. If we hadn't been a tax paying team we could offer $5.3.-5.7mil. Not to mention we're currently over the Tax thresh because we haven't renounced Melo.

Pau and his reps have communicated they believe his market value is $10mil or more...therefore his paycut is real regardless of the Melo scenarios outside of him leaving that is.

CoolClyde

It doesn't matter what Melo does in terms of taking a paycut. We were a Tax Paying team therefore we can only offer Pau $3.3-3.7mil. If we hadn't been a tax paying team we could offer $5.3.-5.7mil. Not to mention we're currently over the Tax thresh because we haven't renounced Melo.

Pau and his reps have communicated they believe his market value is $10mil or more...therefore his paycut is real regardless of the Melo scenarios outside of him leaving that is.

there you go again 3G4G, setting me straight! thanks man!

Broadway

All Star
there you go again 3G4G, setting me straight! thanks man!

Not really....

Just don't want those of us thinking Melo is playing some Mother Teresa role with his contract should he re-up. I sent you a rep message check it out and hit me back if you want.

Here's a link to the NBA CBA Questionaire's and Answers. Larry Coon is on Twitter from time-to-time to answer specific questions asked of him

Tax Reference
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21

Salary Cap Exception Reference
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Cap Hold Reference
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q37

Poison Pill Refence(Gilbert Arenas Rule)
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q45

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89

Contract Lengths And Raises
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q54

Traded Player Exception(TPE)
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

Sign & Trade Reference
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q90

I think these are the most pertinent references to look at concerning our team and the situation(s) we're currently dealing with recently dealt with. I may leave out some minor details in explanations as I don't know the CBA to the letter of the law but understand the basic premises of certain subject matter. I often do some math guestimations only because I'm not exactly sure where the salary cap figure will lie or he 2014-2015 but from what I've read....Salary Cap will be approximately $63mil and the Tax will be approximately $77mil.