Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I was hoping Melo, would embrace the triangle offense and stay true to his word about him being a changed man and he wants to win.Well I was wrong and after only three games he has went back to playing ME ME ME ME basketball and has completely went away from playing team basketball.I am not surprised b/c this is Melo we are talking about here and we all knew that he would never put the team first.

All I can say is alot of fans wanted him back well you got him BUT I am going to say one thing.Enjoy the losing b/c you can not win with this guy!!!!
The question is will Fisher put up with this? It's too early to judge just Melo. I can understand your point of view though.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
The question is will Fisher put up with this? It's too early to judge just Melo. I can understand your point of view though.

Man I was thinking that very same thing tonight.It will be very interesting to see how Fisher handles this IF melo keeps this up.Smith was shooting the lights out in the first half and what does melo do? he starts shooting every time he got the ball going completely away from the hot hand when he was cold as ice.

The team had to execute the offense. In the two wins, where we executed the offense well, Melo played great within the flow of the offense. In the other games, where our offense hasn't executed at all, Melo has reverted back to last year's style of play and, in particularly last night, it has been the predictable disaster.

tiger0330

Legend
So far for the Knicks as Melo goes so go the Knicks. In our wins Melo shot 21-39 54% in the losses 18-57 32%.

This triangle has made him more of a jumpshooter so far. He's averaged 4 FTs in the 5 games compared to nearly 8 FTs in his previous 11 years so he's going to the rim less.

I'm still up in the air on this triangle but when George Karl coached the Nuggets he consistently preached to his guys to aggressively take the ball to the rim. To me that's a philosophy that makes sense.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
So far for the Knicks as Melo goes so go the Knicks. In our wins Melo shot 21-39 54% in the losses 18-57 32%.

This triangle has made him more of a jumpshooter so far. He's averaged 4 FTs in the 5 games compared to nearly 8 FTs in his previous 11 years so he's going to the rim less.

I'm still up in the air on this triangle but when George Karl coached the Nuggets he consistently preached to his guys to aggressively take the ball to the rim. To me that's a philosophy that makes sense.
I'm not a basketball expert so I'm not gonna say which system is better, but I'm a huge advocate of attacking the basket. Hopefully with the ball movement that could be a staple of the system.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
The team had to execute the offense. In the two wins, where we executed the offense well, Melo played great within the flow of the offense. In the other games, where our offense hasn't executed at all, Melo has reverted back to last year's style of play and, in particularly last night, it has been the predictable disaster.

yep exactly!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
does he have a choose??? I say he does not... melo is the 124m man... can't bench him, gotta get him to buy in... good luck coach...

I agree, Fisher does not have a choice when it come to the $124M player.
Fisher have to find away to get Melo to buy into the system.

Phil is sitting back relaxed .. watching all the Knicks players that belong in the D.League buy into Fisher system.

disGRUNTled

Rookie
I was hoping Melo, would embrace the triangle offense and stay true to his word about him being a changed man and he wants to win.Well I was wrong and after only three games he has went back to playing ME ME ME ME basketball and has completely went away from playing team basketball.I am not surprised b/c this is Melo we are talking about here and we all knew that he would never put the team first.

All I can say is alot of fans wanted him back well you got him BUT I am going to say one thing.Enjoy the losing b/c you can not win with this guy!!!!

I agree with you about Melo reverting back to his style of play , But for the triangle to work you need good players with high basketball IQs the Knicks do not have that so what do you expect him to do ?, Jordan had Pippen, Grant, Armstrong, Paxton, Kerr, Rodman, ect., Shaq had kobe, Fisher, Horry,Fox, Kobe had Shaq, Fisher, Fox, Gasol ..Put good players around Melo and he will be all in.

Paul1355

All Star
Melo, Calderon, Dalembert, and Pablo are only guys I would keep on this pathetic team. Amare is actually a good player right now but his 20 mil is ridiculous. If we can't trade Amare, I would not mind resigning him for cheap, he is a team player that can score, just lower his dollars so we can lower his role.

Melo is legit and doesn't make a fuss. One problem with Melo is he is not a vocal leader and this has cost us. He just leads by example but these guys need a firecracker lit under their butts by him. He doesn't have the personality, he is passive. He is not Kobe.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo, Calderon, Dalembert, and Pablo are only guys I would keep on this pathetic team. Amare is actually a good player right now but his 20 mil is ridiculous. If we can't trade Amare, I would not mind resigning him for cheap, he is a team player that can score, just lower his dollars so we can lower his role.

Melo is legit and doesn't make a fuss. One problem with Melo is he is not a vocal leader and this has cost us. He just leads by example but these guys need a firecracker lit under their butts by him. He doesn't have the personality, he is passive. He is not Kobe.
Let's see what Stat does when his contract is up. If he takes the taxpayer MLE from us he would be a good signing for the Knicks.

Completely agree about Melo and his leadership, he's not the leader Lebron is but he's not the cry baby DRose is either. I doubt DRose would have attempted to play like Melo did Sunday, I think the Bulls are having buyers regret about signing that guy.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer

Melo and Kobe should never be mentioned in the same sentence. You dont see more problems other than he is not a vocal leader?
This guy is so overrated and overpayed, i really think nobody will agree to take him with that rediculous contract. Didnt he said that about J.Lin when he was traded?. Guess what, Jeremy deserves his money and this selfish pig does not.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Ok so J Lin was sooooo worth the $$$$ that Houston dropped him like a hot potato before that "poison pill" kicked in...so now "linsanity" is a backup PG with Kobe on a team that's just as bad as the Knicks so your point is????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
The point is, Melo should have never made that comment. In fact, he should be quet, and play like a player that deserves max money.
Even if he is who he think he is, that comment makes him look bad.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
by the time jax surrounds him with quality players it will be years...if ever.. and I'm not so sure Me-Lo will buy in if he has to share the spotlight.... or even godforbid be 2nd fiddle...

How big a role has Carmelo Anthony played in the Knicks' awful season?
Chat with Bud Poliquin

They are 4-18. They have lost 17 of their last 19 games. They've dropped eight consecutive contests. They've been beaten by Detroit (3-18), Minnesota (4-16), Charlotte (5-15), Utah (5-16) and Orlando (9-14), whose cumulative record is 26-79.

They're on a course, a quarter of the way through this wretched campaign, to be the worst Knicks squad in a franchise history that dates back to 1946. Or nearly 70 years. But that's what batting .182 will get you.
And the on-court leader of this mess? It's Syracuse University's own, Carmelo Anthony, who, after signing that five-year, $124-million contract in the off season, is learning that while big money can buy big baubles, it can't protect against big basketball misery.

Averaging 23.2 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game (while shooting .453 overall and .345 from beyond the arc), Anthony has produced stats for this New York bunch that are virtual mirrors of his career numbers. Which means he's the same guy he's always been.
Now, some folks — including 'Melo, himself — will tell you that he's one of the top, oh, five players in the world. And if the instrument of measure is sheer talent, perhaps a good argument could be made for that assessment.

In terms of impact, though, one must wonder if Anthony is no more than just another splendid baller in a league filled with them.
It's not his fault, of course, that he's stuck on a dead roster and working for a new boss (Phil Jackson) and a new coach (Derek Fisher) in a new offensive system (the celebrated "Triangle"). But superstars have been sentenced to awful teams in transition mode since the dawn of the dribble … and precious few of them ever allowed their groups to win just 18 percent of the time.
In fact, I can't think of one. Can you?

Look, Carmelo Anthony will forever be an Orange icon. The NCAA Tournament title he helped deliver in 2003 sealed that deal. And his $3-million kick-start to SU's basketball palace that bears his name will ensure recruiting bounty for years to come. So, in Central New York he'll be a walk-on-water figure for a long, long time.

But he's a pro now. A Knick. A supposed superstar. And only two teams in the 30-team NBA have worse records than his. And they're not happy down here. They're not happy at all.

LOL LOL

As Mrs. Kintner said to Brody on that Amity Island dock, "I wanted you to know that."

Kiyaman

Legend
ESPN ....

Knicks' Melo reportedly at center of bickering locker room

The New York Knicks' 4-19 record might not be the low point of the struggling franchise.
Bickering on the court and infighting off of it have added to the Knicks' woes, according to ESPN.

According to the report, Knicks second-year guard Tim Hardaway Jr., frustrated during the team's fifth consecutive loss last week against Brooklyn, screamed "Get the rebound!" Knicks star Carmelo Anthony thought the instruction was meant for him and asked Hardaway, while using an expletive, who he thought we was talking to.

Anthony then reportedly threatened to beat up Hardaway after the game in the locker room. The two players did not come to blows, but the incident was just the latest example of the internal strife, according to the report.
"Nobody's taken a swing at anybody, but there's a lot of arguing and cursing each other out after games,'' one source told ESPN.

"Guys are definitely frustrated,'' a source told ESPN. "But some of it's just basketball stuff that the players don't like doing. When somebody's demanding that you make a hard cut, you don't like it because you have to work harder. When someone says it's not OK to throw a bull---- pass, guys don't like it.''
Several players also believe Anthony's reluctance to play team basketball is another issue, voicing their displeasure with the All-Star this weekend, ESPN reports

jimkcchief88

All Star
Here is the comic relief: Melo NEVER has these issues when playing for Coach K and the USA team. All Melo has to do is knock down jumpers because there is plenty of talent around him and he's not expected to carry the team. But when you are playing with a bunch of donuts for a rookie coach in over his head, then come the problems. Anybody who has played basketball on any playground knows that cats argue when getting shot out. That's called being a competitor. I'm sure MJ cussed his team out all the time. When Payton Manning cusses his oline out for missing a block or a receiver for running the wrong route, he's "being a leader." But Melo:"that selfish overpaid n***A..." I can't stand the liberal white media and those who buy the bs being sold on Chief:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
Dolan's ignorance is BLISS when it comes to winning NBA B.ball .... for Dolan not to see this last year this time when the Knicks record were 5-15, plus the franchise star-player persistence on searchin the FA market in offseason.