Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

mafra

Legend
It's already begun.... Phil reaches out to CLE, according to marc stein, to see if they were interested in a Melo for Love swap.

Broadway

All Star
It's already begun.... Phil reaches out to CLE, according to marc stein, to see if they were interested in a Melo for Love swap.

lol @ Melo saying "he can't think about playing in Cleveland" and saying "he thinks Lebron wants him to come play there" yet was able to key in on the specifics on what Lebron said in his rant.

So yeah Melo we know you and Lebron are talking and yes you want to play there and Lebron is upset he found out the Cavs might have cold feet on you. lol @ Windhorst trying to derail things before they can get hotter by saying...

"Melo is the worst player Cleveland could trade for"

Not that he doesn't have a point but WOW, you're not even a beat writer for the Cavs anymore dude you're an ESPN contributor...stop being such a Lebron fan boy calling yourself trying to protect him

mafra

Legend
I mean, unless I missed something, Love was pretty much useless last May-June. Geez.
If Melo had LJ & Irving on the court with him he would be unguardable.

I want Melo to go to CLE and help them win just to silence some of these national Buffoons.

Worst person to trade for? Eat another Big Mac windyhurts. Who exactly is on the market? Their options are sort of limited.

Anyway, it's all about Lebron knowing he needs another Wade (a best pal who can shoulder the load)..... sometimes good offense is good defense. He wants to ensure if he has an off night, he can rely on somebody else other than Irving. Love wasn't even in the rotation last year, for the most part in the finals. It's all about beating GSW....

Broadway

All Star
From the Daily News

The Knicks, according to a source, are open to trading Anthony to Los Angeles even if they don’t get one of the Clippers’ Big 3 in return. In fact, the Knicks are prohibited from acquiring Blake Griffin due to a complicated rule in the collective bargaining agreement. The rule states that a team cannot have two Designated Rookie Max extensions on your roster acquired via a trade at any time. Derrick Rose falls under that category.

As if I can't stand the fact anymore than I already do, that he's on our team. Not that we'd have a shot to get Blake but the principle of it all, can't wait until Rose is no longer here..want him gone almost as bad as I do Melo

mafra

Legend
From the Daily News

As if I can't stand the fact anymore than I already do, that he's on our team. Not that we'd have a shot to get Blake but the principle of it all, can't wait until Rose is no longer here..want him gone almost as bad as I do Melo

Trying to find any relevant Melo trade rumors. I listened to some of Hahn replay today and he destroyed Rose today. Said that defensive "effort" last night loudly proclaimed that he has quit on this team. He should've been benched. Hard to fathom I'm believing this now, but Grant/Lopez for Rose is an awful move. I would've made the move and gambled on 1 great season from Rose, but we got basically 20 games.

But, I would like to believe I would've been privy to behind the scenes intel to aid me better in understanding DR....but his attitude and body lanaguage is alarming (if we didn't vet this out before making the trade).

tiger0330

Legend
From the Daily News

I said the Clips might trade Jamal and doc's son for Melo but I doubt you get JJ and the Clips don't have a 1st round pick in 2017 and 2019.

Interesting about that designated max rule involving DRose and BG. Does it still apply if we buy out DRose before trading Melo for BG. PJ may keep DRose if Melo is traded for Crawford and Rivers, I personally would go after Jrue Holiday selling him on playing with his brother.

tiger0330

Legend
Trying to find any relevant Melo trade rumors. I listened to some of Hahn replay today and he destroyed Rose today. Said that defensive "effort" last night loudly proclaimed that he has quit on this team. He should've been benched. Hard to fathom I'm believing this now, but Grant/Lopez for Rose is an awful move. I would've made the move and gambled on 1 great season from Rose, but we got basically 20 games.

But, I would like to believe I would've been privy to behind the scenes intel to aid me better in understanding DR....but his attitude and body lanaguage is alarming (if we didn't vet this out before making the trade).
Mafra you knew DRose didn't play defense and the dude plays for money and nothing else. I expected him to have a great year because it's his contract year and while I would sign him to a 4 year deal with a team option for year 4 I would give him Oladipo money and not a max 150M deal, if he wants a max deal you let him go. He does have an elite skill driving to the rim and with NBA salaries where they are I think that is worth 18M/yr but I would still go after Jrue Holiday pitching playing with his brother.

mafra

Legend
I read an article Boston.com that dared to ask, since the price for Melo is so low, at what point would it be too irresistible to Ainge to say no?

There?s one reason why Carmelo Anthony to the Celtics would be intriguing: Brad Stevens

By Chad Finn

COMMENTARY

All right, stray voices of reason, talk me out of Carmelo Anthony, vaguely rumored potential Boston Celtic. Because I?m over here almost talking myself into it, against whatever grains of common sense I have left.

I know, the Celtics have indicated to the ESPN that they don?t have interest in the high-scoring, high-maintenance, 11-time All-Star, zero-time champion forward. You know Danny Ainge and you know what that means. They don?t have interest at whatever the current asking price happens to be.

But ? the Knicks have reportedly told the Clippers ? who, along with the Celtics and Cavaliers have had their interest in Anthony gauged ? that they would not demand Chris Paul, Blake Griffin or D?Andre Jordan in return. What does that leave, Luc Mbah a Moute and Brandon Bass? It certainly looks like the Knicks are pricing Anthony to move before the February 23 trading deadline. You know there is a point Ainge would do it, and no, trading James Young straight up for Melo does not work in the ESPN NBA Trade Machine. A few deals do, though. Even a few deals that Ainge might go for.

I know, there are many reasons not to do it. Many, many reasons. A cacophony of reasons to say no to Melo. I shall now list them, even as I resist them: A guy who jacks 18 shots a game probably wouldn?t cherish being a corner-based bystander in the Isaiah Thomas Show that?s been drawing rave fourth-quarter reviews most nights. ? The Celtics need defensive and rebounding help more than anything. Melo is an OK (if regressing) rebounder, while defense is typically his nap and snack time ? He makes $24.6 million this season and $54 million through 2017-18. He gets a 15 percent trade kicker if he is dealt with a player option for 2018-19 ? He would cost the Celtics talent and depth, probably starting with Jae Crowder and Amir Johnson, and the generally selfless culture of this team would be altered with Crowder out and Melo in ? He?s 33 years old, is a ball-stopping volume shooter who hasn?t won anything since he was a freshman at Syracuse ? Trading for him helps the Knicks and Phil Jackson. Think about how Red would feel about that for a moment.

That?s more baggage than the Celtics haul on a West Coast road trip. And yet I cannot deny being intrigued by the best-case scenario should a potential deal somehow take shape.

Don?t be coy. You know exactly what I mean by that best-case scenario: What could and would Carmelo Anthony achieve playing for Brad Stevens? Or more precisely, what wizardry would Stevens work to get the most ? which is a still a heck of a lot ? out of Anthony, a born scorer with occasional Bernard King-in-?84 tendencies who, for all of his flaws, has spent his life enhancing his offensive gifts with hard work?

I can?t help it: Purely as a basketball fan, that is something I?d be interested in seeing. Now, I?m not saying I want to see it at great expense to the roster. The Celtics? season so far has supplied a few more moments of surprising frustration than we expected. But I believe in what they are doing and where they are going. There?s an enviable culture and the makings of a strong core. Isaiah Thomas has become a superstar scorer ? he?s always been a magician as a finisher, but what a smooth shooter he has become. Al Horford is a quintessential Celtic, smart, talented and helpful to the cause in so many ways. The young guys have had growing pains, but they are growing. And there are two more Brooklyn picks coming. The Celtics are in a good place. But if Ainge did deal for Anthony, my immediate reaction would be: I cannot wait to see how Stevens ? who made Evan Turner lovable and darn near essential ? figures out how to get the most from Anthony.

The enigma of Anthony, though, is that as interesting as it would be to see how Stevens would maximize his talents, the ideal outcome of all of this might be to hope he ends up with the Celtics? chief rival. I mentioned a few adjectives ago that they are in a good place as a franchise. They?re in a good place in the standings as well. At 27-18, which is slightly ahead of last year?s 48-win pace, they have the third-best record in the Eastern Conference, a half-game back of the Raptors and just 3.5 behind the Cavaliers.

This ? the close proximity to the defending champions ? is somewhat unexpected. The party line this season has been that the Celtics should strive for second place in the conference, with the recognition that a healthy Cavs team is pretty much invincible. Stunningly, it hasn?t been, having lost six of eight as of Friday while LeBron James, who fancies himself as the general manager to the general manager, gripes about the team?s lack of a playmaker.

The Cavs look vulnerable. It will probably pass, but it?s fun to watch now, and maybe they will panic. There was chatter ? probably baseless, but still ? that a Kevin Love-for-Carmelo swap might be something LeBron would desire.

Trading Love, who has shaped his game to the confines of LeBron?s wishes while remaining prolific, for one-note scorer Anthony would be foolish. Man, I hope they do it.

I know, it?s contradictory. I?d like to see Anthony end up with the Cavs, because he?d wreck ?em, and yet I?m not opposed to seeing him end up in Boston. It makes sense to me. Sure, LeBron knows how to play with Anthony. But Brad Stevens would know how to deploy him. Two of them believe they coach their team. Only one of them actually knows how to do it.

paris401

Starter
if u r boston, u know u are not getting past the cav's... this year... so why bring in Me-Lo??... u have a lottery pick this year, and next year. if u score in the draft this year, 'bron will be a year older next year, they don't have a 1st round pick (I believe they don't), and even if they do, its nearto 30... more of a 2nd rounder... so will be of little help... boston's time is not this year, but poss next year and going forward... why trade for a old, and getting older by the day Me-Lo... I don't see the logic...

mafra

Legend
Ainge is a gambler.... He's made bold moves before. Ainge and Stevens is the foundation, and Brad turned around Evan Turner.

IT, turns 28 soon, and Horford, turns 31 this summer, don't be fooled.... BOS has a "now" window.... there's no building for the future here with this duo.

Do you believe Brown and the next 2 drafts are going to provide BOS with a foundation, franchise Player? It may, but it may also mean they keep adding
decent guys like Bradly, Olynik, Smart.... and not KAT, Embid, KP type of talents.

IT, Bradley, Zeller, & Olynik will be free agents next summer, and Smart will be a restricted free agent too (and he becomes a free agent in 2019).

I think Boston has 7 first round picks the next 4 years....

Here's the problem: there's no way to keep everybody. And by the time draft picks can help, then Hordford, Crowder, IT are passed their prime.

BOS needs to go for it now, but they realize... with CLE & GSW... "going" for it won't come at the cost of the future.

If BOS keeps the 2 BKlYN picks,
they could easily part with 2 first rounders plus a young player for Melo....

Melo can opt out after next season, so trading for Melo aligns with both strategies: winning now and building for future.

Again, if you're BOS and you don't plan on retaining a Smart, Bradley, Olynik, Zeller, then why not part with that soon-to-be-departing player now?

Or, why not sacrifice Brown, knowing you're probably getting the #1 pick the next 2 drafts? Otherwise, watch IT leave next summer b/c BOS was focusing more on the future.

Again, if the lowball offers are they only thing BOS has to match, and if NY is willing to move Anthony at such a low cost.... they'd be fools not to sniff and see how low the offer needs to be to get Melo....

Giving 2 first round picks still leaves BOS with 5 first rounders the next 4 years, including possibly the top pick the next 2 years....

Brown has Crowder ahead of him anyway.... Melo and Crowder with Horford and IT, along with Bradley/Smart are SG means BOs has a chance this year and next....

Trust me, if the cost for Melo is Brown and 1 or 2 of their lesser 1st Rounders, Ainge will be salivating come trade deadline.

This is probably a mute point, b/c it's doubtful Melo would waive his no trade clause to go to BOS....

And, with only 10 games separating 11 teams in the EC.... 2 good weeks and you move up from second worst team in EC to the 4th seed.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I read this as Melo plus more (coming from a third team getting involved)....

Melo plus a backup C and PG and they deal Love.

mafra

Legend
You think it's possible BOS or CLE blink, fearing the other team gets Melo?

If Boston gets Melo that move could possibly propel Celtics ahead of Cavs.

Broadway

All Star
You think it's possible BOS or CLE blink, fearing the other team gets Melo?

If Boston gets Melo that move could possibly propel Celtics ahead of Cavs.

Bos has no urgency and can make other moves at the very least to solidify their position. Keep in mind of all the negative talk against Ainge for his non big moves, whatever he's done at this point has landed his team as the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference. They also have a big time player who is becoming nearly unstoppable to defend and an explosive late game performer/closer.

Jimmy Butler has been the player most execs seem them making a major move on if there's any traction. Boston is like 5thish in the league scoring wise so it's not like they need another offensive player, at least not one who doesn't play defense. If they can get Melo at a bargain I'm sure Ainge is game but he feels zero pressure to make a deal as he should.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I read this as Melo plus more (coming from a third team getting involved)....

Melo plus a backup C and PG and they deal Love.

Possibly but asking for more is in essence keeping Melo's value lower than we'd prefer. Yes Cleveland wants more from us and Windhorst is their mouthpiece

mafra

Legend
Bos has no urgency and can make other moves at the very least to solidify their position. Keep in mind of all the negative talk against Ainge for his non big moves, whatever he's done at this point has landed his team as the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference. They also have a big time player who is becoming nearly unstoppable to defend and an explosive late game performer/closer. Jimmy Butler has been the player most execs seem them making a major move on if there's any traction. Boston is like 5thish in the league scoring wise so it's not like they need another offensive player, at least not one who doesn't play defense. If they can get Melo at a bargain I'm sure Ainge is game but he feels zero pressure to make a deal as he should.

Heard 1 ex player talking about BOS and IT. Basically said what most insiders see, the Celtics are good but can't beat TOR or CLE.

IT is their only player who can create offense in the 4th quarter. And, IT is having a great year.... but life in playoffs is much different when teams can and will practice, gameplan, and prepare on how they want to defend.

IT is a free agent next summer, along with practically the entire BOS roster other than Crowder, Horford, and Brown.

To me, BOS has to commit to 1 plan... either they want to win now (this year and next 2) or they want to build and win come 2019 and beyond. The window for IT & Horford is a small window, and will probably shut after next season if they fail to make the right moves.

So, Ainge can stay the course and build through the draft and decide who to keep and who to let go next summer.... Or they make a big move and go for it.

Tough call. I mean, you know you have a good team now to be in the mix.... no guarantee the players they draft will pan out.

Broadway

All Star
Their plan has always been to get better and guess what they are...

Boston is deeper than people want to give them credit for. Let's not forget they have Avery Bradley who's been absent due to injury during ITs torrid play. They have wild cards in Smart/Rozier/Brown/Olynyk, they aren't pressing in any way to make a move. I do think there is one last move to be made and this summer will probably produce the reality. Their move in no way has to be Melo because he doesn't solve anything, especially if their youth keeps coming along. For the past 3yrs they've only progressed and Boston is currently trending up Raps/Cleveland are down. Opinions are opinions I'm looking at this current season as is

I know Celtics don't have a chance but they need a Rudy Gobert type talent well before Melo. Melo might be a good get for a team like the Wizards or maybe even the Bulls but he's not interested in going there. Boston has 1 more yr to stall if they so choose. They are a strong #2 seed and if Cleveland doesn't watch it, they'll be a #1 seed.

I agree with you if I were Boston I'd make a move sooner than later if there is one to be made, but it doesn't have to be for Melo. They had a proposed Jimmy Butler deal on draft night, who might be gettable if Bulls slide again and can't get the deal(s) they want.

mafra

Legend
Not that I disagree with you, but let's be honest.... Boston is better bc of luck:

They dealt Marcus Thornton and a 1st rounder last year for IT.... then, they signed Horford this summer. Then, b/c Phil said no to his addition in the TC deal to DAL, Crowder was traded to
BOS in the Rondo deal. This is why they're good.

The Celtics didn't build this team through the draft....

Bradley looks like he's emerging as a quality 2-way player. Zeller, Smart, & Okynik are just decent meh guys (I probably wouldn't deal WHG straight up for either of those 3)....

Brown and Yabusele and Zuzik (1st rounders last draft), Rozier and Hunter (1st rounders in 2015), don't scream
Future franchise star....

Then these stud first rounders from the 2012-2014 drafts:

Smart, Young, Nogueiro, Sullinger, Fab Melo, Marshon Brooks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_draft_history

Remember, Boston signed Amir Johnson as a free agent bc all those bigs they drafted were busts.

Now, IT, Smart, Zeller, Olynik and Bradley are all free agents next summer.... can't pay them all.

Some credit goes to Ainge for his trades and free agent acquisitions and credit Brad Stevens for Coaching up these cast-offs....

But make no mistake, BOS backed up into a good team B/c of hitting grand slams on a few trades (turning IT and Crowder into all-star quality players).

Much like TOR lucked out into Lowry (and why NYK sucks bc we didn't trade for either Lowry or IT).

So, if you are BOS.... do you really believe that the 7 first round picks next 4 years will be worth betting the future on?

Or do you go for it now, since you have the Stars.... IT and Horford are stars.... reality is, of all their draft picks lately.... they hit on really just Bradley.... the rest are a dime a dozen type guys.

Of course, jury is still out on Brown (but he could be James Young 2.0 too). Still, they would be smart to chase Cousins, Favors, George, Butler, Melo.

Last edited: