Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Broadway

All Star
Boston is good because they hired Brad Stevens, made shrewd low risk moves...while accumulating assets when breaking down a roster and movin on from has beens and roster misifts(KG,Pierce,Rondo).

Boston is a great team, but they look like that team that comes around every few years that's good enough to make the Eastern Conference finals and lose to Lebron or maybe even one year slip past Lebron and lose to a Western Conference powerhouse in the NBA finals. They have been in that rare position where they have the assets to take a great team and then add a new best player to it, but to date, they haven't made that deal happen.

In theory, it sounds great to have the possible number one overall pick in the draft and have an already great team, but in reality, it makes a lot more sense to get an established star now instead.

It's funny how the 2 seed in the East seems to employ more of a rebuild mindset than we do

paris401

Starter
Boston is a great team,

there's that word again... 'great'... when I think 'great' , I think of the old Celtics with Russell,the jones boys.... the bulls with Michael and pippen, the lakers... etc... today's boston team 'great'... they have done f...-all... depending on how the east plays out, they could be the 4th best team in the east cav's,Toronto,wash.. ahead of them... which would make them like the 15th best team in the league (give or take a few spots)...

ofcourse they do have a bunch of high draft picks for the next 10-12years, so one day they mite be...great... just not today or tomorrow ..

there's that word again... 'great'... when I think 'great' , I think of the old Celtics with Russell,the jones boys.... the bulls with Michael and pippen, the lakers... etc... today's boston team 'great'... they have done f...-all... depending on how the east plays out, they could be the 4th best team in the east cav's,Toronto,wash.. ahead of them... which would make them like the 15th best team in the league (give or take a few spots)...

ofcourse they do have a bunch of high draft picks for the next 10-12years, so one day they mite be...great... just not today or tomorrow ..

Ok, then Boston and Toronto are good, the Cavs and the top teams in the West are very good and the rest of the league exists on a scale from mediocre to Nets

tiger0330

Legend
Not that I disagree with you, but let's be honest.... Boston is better bc of luck:

They dealt Marcus Thornton and a 1st rounder last year for IT.... then, they signed Horford this summer. Then, b/c Phil said no to his addition in the TC deal to DAL, Crowder was traded to
BOS in the Rondo deal. This is why they're good.

The Celtics didn't build this team through the draft....

Bradley looks like he's emerging as a quality 2-way player. Zeller, Smart, & Okynik are just decent meh guys (I probably wouldn't deal WHG straight up for either of those 3)....

Brown and Yabusele and Zuzik (1st rounders last draft), Rozier and Hunter (1st rounders in 2015), don't scream
Future franchise star....

Then these stud first rounders from the 2012-2014 drafts:

Smart, Young, Nogueiro, Sullinger, Fab Melo, Marshon Brooks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_draft_history

Remember, Boston signed Amir Johnson as a free agent bc all those bigs they drafted were busts.

Now, IT, Smart, Zeller, Olynik and Bradley are all free agents next summer.... can't pay them all.

Some credit goes to Ainge for his trades and free agent acquisitions and credit Brad Stevens for Coaching up these cast-offs....

But make no mistake, BOS backed up into a good team B/c of hitting grand slams on a few trades (turning IT and Crowder into all-star quality players).

Much like TOR lucked out into Lowry (and why NYK sucks bc we didn't trade for either Lowry or IT).

So, if you are BOS.... do you really believe that the 7 first round picks next 4 years will be worth betting the future on?

Or do you go for it now, since you have the Stars.... IT and Horford are stars.... reality is, of all their draft picks lately.... they hit on really just Bradley.... the rest are a dime a dozen type guys.

Of course, jury is still out on Brown (but he could be James Young 2.0 too). Still, they would be smart to chase Cousins, Favors, George, Butler, Melo.
Great fact filled post Mafra. I said in the off season that I thought Ainge would move some of those picks he had for some vet role players but he didn't probably because he didn't like the deals coming across his desk but it would have been the thing to do since he had to stash his 16th and 22 overseas. Too many picks in the last draft which if he couldn't convert into veteran help he should have traded for picks far into the future ie 3 seconds for 2020 and beyond protected first.

tiger0330

Legend
Boston is a great team, but they look like that team that comes around every few years that's good enough to make the Eastern Conference finals and lose to Lebron or maybe even one year slip past Lebron and lose to a Western Conference powerhouse in the NBA finals. They have been in that rare position where they have the assets to take a great team and then add a new best player to it, but to date, they haven't made that deal happen.

In theory, it sounds great to have the possible number one overall pick in the draft and have an already great team, but in reality, it makes a lot more sense to get an established star now instead.

It's funny how the 2 seed in the East seems to employ more of a rebuild mindset than we do
Pretty disgusting or impressive that they're 2 games out of 1st in second in the EC. Usually teams that have a chance at the top pick are in last place but thanks to the Nets they could be picking first in the draft.

Ainge has to be surprised about where they are in the standings, I see him making a move to bolster that roster before the deadline, he may give up that top pick since the one position the Celtics seem set at is their backcourt and with the drafts top players being guards this year. Blockbuster deal for Demarcus Cousins at the deadline anyone?

mafra

Legend
Chicago got Rose and Wizards got Wall, and somehow Lakers didn't fall out and lose their pick (when they got Russell)...

Plenty of instances where minor draft miracles occurred. Maybe it's time for fortune to shine on NYK again.... go from a 1% chance to landing the top pick. Freeze that envelope this year baby!

Broadway

All Star

"In theory", they haven't had any major hiccups in this process yet...

Year 1 rebuilding
2014-2015...40-42, [8th seed] 1yr New Coach hodge podge roster swept by Cleveland 4-0 in playoffs

Year 2 rebuilding
2015-2016...48-34, [4th seed] 2nd yr improvement within 1 player establishing himself as a leader, lose to Hawks 4-2 in playoffs

Year 3 rebuilding
2016-2017...54-28(on pace), [2nd seed] 3rd yr improvement added major free agent, established player now an All-Star and a league leader in scoring

So it's taken about 3yrs and they are approaching a crossroads but what truly is a problem as of today? Really nothing but this "mystery move" and if there are doubts/skepticism from us about what they are embarking upon then what does this say about us who can't even sniff their jock of competitive status right now? Yeah their current mindset of rebuilding is only something we could wish for.

I'm looking for them to reach the ECF and if they do, then it's clear what should be done. I can only admire them at this point

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
The problem with Melo is that he is not a leader, he is not a guy that motivate players and hold them accountable..... you never see him doing this with the team.... that is the missing link, we have a lot of talent, but we don't have a leader so its everyone on his own, even worse, nobody wants to claim the role of a leader because its Melo's team.....

Kiyaman

Legend
The big argument by NBA announcers/writers are Carmelo Anthony replacing a injured Love in the 2017 All-Star Game when several other winning candidate players should have been elected over Melo .....

Playa2

Benchwarmer
Dear Phil Jackson ,You don't sign a guy like Melo to a deal like that if you aren't building around him.

His deal isn't movable. He also is the best player on the team currently.

You would have surrounded him with defensive two way players like Philly did with Iverson.

This is what Syracuse coach Boheim was trying to tell Knicks brass years ago, but they didn't listen to him because their standard is bring in injured or aging star players whom other teams gave up on to justify court side seat prices. Smh

mafra

Legend
The big argument by NBA announcers/writers are Carmelo Anthony replacing a injured Love in the 2017 All-Star Game when several other winning candidate players should have been elected over Melo .....

Who cares about what the media has to say? Silver simply picked the next player on the list (the guys the NBA coaches selected to play in the game).

Playa2

Benchwarmer
I blame Phil Jackson for giving Melo a NTC his arrogance got the best of him, probably thought he could change Melo but he is who he is.

There is no changing him. The guy wants to hang around NY for all the wrong reasons his brand and winning has nothing to do with it.

I just see a guy using the Knicks for his brand. Why do you think he gloats about his College Championship and Olympic Gold Medals?

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
What I seen on tv today and heard the people say that Melo cares about his money more than winning,winning a ring and helping the team win really dissapointed me.That dissapoints me even more about Melo than I already was.Yes Phil Jackson deserves alot of blame but so does this money hungry that doesn't care about nobody but himself Melo.He has single handedly hurt himself,his team and the nba!! Melo is only hurting this young Knicks players from getting better b/c of his stupidity not letting the Knicks trade him.

Broadway

All Star
This is y'alls man

I mean his statement in a vacuum very well true but he said he trusted Phil when he got his deal and a year after. He should be called out on it. What a Clown...we are gonna lose and lose and lose some more going forward!

mafra

Legend
Yeah, especially after Melo claimed to take ownership last summer in the free agent process -- giving input to team execs and recruitment.

Say what you will about Phil, but he's sacrificed the long term goals to live up to his word to melo (surround him with enough talent to win).

Unlike Wade, Melo has failed to
convince 1 player to come play with him in NY.... Phil has done everything possible to bring in a PG/C combo that would compliment Melo.

He signed Affalo, then Lee, to give Melo a 3-&-D guy...

The truth is, the reason why this team isn't a 40-45 win team is b/c Melo isn't Melo anymore.

1- Melo was never the most efficient cat, but now he is inconsistent along with inefficient. He only flashes glimpses of his old self, a quarter here and a quarter there.

2- Melo's fourth quarter play is the reason why this team tanked in Jan. (And has been awful for years now). NYK were 14-0, then lost about 7 close games in Jan. Had Melo closed those games, and say NY goes 5-2.... season has a totally different feel.

I don't want to defend Phil, but the man stakes his exec reputation on melo and CA soiled his good name. Of course Phil is disappointed, and when Melo hears the truth he acts all flummoxed? Man, trading for Melo has been one of the worst moves NY has ever made.... we sacrificed a decade for 1 halfway decent season...

Melo, Phil's vision was that you would step up and become a dominant player. Instead, to wilted and became an outside shooter who contributes little outside of scoring, and have consistently proven you can't score when game hangs in the balance.

HardFowl

Rookie
Melo is one of the most overrated bums in NBA history. He's reminiscent of Antawn Jamison, Glenn Robinson, Vince Carter, Mitch Richmond and other high scorers who lack clutch, consistency and ability to lead a winning team. Knicks need to dump this piece of trash and start Lance Thomas.

paris401

Starter
Melo is one of the most overrated bums in NBA history. He's reminiscent of Antawn Jamison, Glenn Robinson, Vince Carter, Mitch Richmond and other high scorers who lack clutch, consistency and ability to lead a winning team. Knicks need to dump this piece of trash and start Lance Thomas.

true , true, and true... BUT... can't dump Me-Lo, lee, noah... $hit the list goes on and on....

Broadway

All Star
From another forum

“Right now, we need players that are really active, can play every single play. Defensively and offensively. That’s really important for us. We started to get some players on the floor that can do that, you know, and that’s the direction we have to go.”

It’s unfortunate that such players would be needed to fix the defense, but the numbers support what Jackson is saying.

Anthony finished the 2016-17 regular season at No. 418 in the NBA in Defensive Real Plus-Minus. It’s also worth noting that the Knicks allowed 111.1 points per 100 possessions with the 10-time All-Star on the floor.

Of the players who were on the court for at least 1,000 minutes in 2016-17, no player on the Knicks had a worse defensive rating than Anthony.

By comparison, the Knicks had a team-best defensive rating of 104.7 points per 100 possessions with Anthony on the bench. That’s a difference of 6.4 points per 100 possessions, as well as a telling sign of his influence on the defensive end of the floor.