Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

Thread: Melo Willing to take Pay Cut for Knicks

  1. #16
    Member knickerbocker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    look at it this way: the knicks once again got unlucky. it was never supposed to be melo and a bunch of wannabes, it was supposed to be melo, stat and chandler. our "big three". it kind of makes me sad that melo gets all the blame for not being able to put the team on his shoulders, because it really is stat and chandler's fault. Melo has done what was expected of him, stat and chandler have not, and that's the reason we are where we are. NOT MELO.

    who knows where theyd be if they signed bosh instead of stat, and stat went to miami. maybe its as simple as that, but its really no one's fault besides dolan for taking the risk of going with stat. but then again, stat was the only one who would come to NY. so once again, the knicks are just **** outta luck.

    ill praise melo for what he's doing, as long as he follows through that is. Hey, maybe stat does retire, melo takes the cut and signs lebron on? who knows right now? it wouldn't be consistent with the knicks fortune, but its possible and one great way to immediately turn an organization around. If Im lebron, and striving to prove Im the best ever, id want the challenge in NY.

    sorry for the ranting, those are my thoughts/hopes for this team. Im not going to stop rooting for them, because once they do win a championship, it really might be the sweetest thing for me in sports. there's just so much doubt and ridicule thrown their way that if and when it happens, it will be so cool. I know you all feel that in some way. its just a matter of this lifetime or next.

  2. #17
    Superstar welcometonycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by knickerbocker12
    look at it this way: the knicks once again got unlucky. it was never supposed to be melo and a bunch of wannabes, it was supposed to be melo, stat and chandler. our "big three". it kind of makes me sad that melo gets all the blame for not being able to put the team on his shoulders, because it really is stat and chandler's fault. Melo has done what was expected of him, stat and chandler have not, and that's the reason we are where we are. NOT MELO.

    who knows where theyd be if they signed bosh instead of stat, and stat went to miami. maybe its as simple as that, but its really no one's fault besides dolan for taking the risk of going with stat. but then again, stat was the only one who would come to NY. so once again, the knicks are just **** outta luck.

    ill praise melo for what he's doing, as long as he follows through that is. Hey, maybe stat does retire, melo takes the cut and signs lebron on? who knows right now? it wouldn't be consistent with the knicks fortune, but its possible and one great way to immediately turn an organization around. If Im lebron, and striving to prove Im the best ever, id want the challenge in NY.

    sorry for the ranting, those are my thoughts/hopes for this team. Im not going to stop rooting for them, because once they do win a championship, it really might be the sweetest thing for me in sports. there's just so much doubt and ridicule thrown their way that if and when it happens, it will be so cool. I know you all feel that in some way. its just a matter of this lifetime or next.

    No way Bosh carries the team like Stat did his first year here and break Ewings record. Stat made us relevant again.
    Not saying Bosh isn't the better player right now because he is, but at the time we signed Stat I didn't see no1 complain.

  3. #18
    Superstar welcometonycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Right now are problem is we need a PG. Or we need Felton not to pay more then 20 minutes a game.
    We need some Metta we need some Tyler we need some Murray.

    In the long run we're going to need a new coach and an above average PG to be successful with Melo, someone who will be vocal with Melo (Billups)

    Oh and skinny Chandler, way past his prime to old.

    Woodsons lineups could be better clearly. Coaching change would improve this team drastically but this won't happen.

    Stat is a beast on offense. Someone prove me wrong.

  4. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Woodson is the biggest flaw in our team, by FAR. Even if Melo does get too trigger happy at times, I don't think he's selfish. Woodson ENCOURAGES this crap. That guy has Melo playing the most minutes in the league (or that was the case recently for a while).

    Has there ever been a guy Melo's size and body type to average this many minutes for this long? I don't know, and I'm not saying Melo couldn't improve his his fitness, but it's not like he doesn't look in shape, and I doubt he expected to average the most minutes in the league for that long.

    Woodson keeps him in even if he's not shooting well. Tyler had a double-double one game, then the next Woodson does an amateurish move by not playing Tyler nearly enough minutes because of what? He's scared of the big bad Thunder? He also has sat Prigioni at the end of games no matter how much the team needed him.

    Yes, I agree that Woodson is an assistant-coach in charge of bench players.
    As a HC .. Woodson is a liability when it comes to having a plan, or getting the players to complete a simple design play.
    HC Woodson does not make his players happy with his coaching style.

    Melo is averaging the same amount of minutes he average every season about this time.
    Melo just didnt get the Memo, that he is on a team with a $91M cap of veteran & young players that are looking for decent playingtime without him being in every lineup with them ball-hoggin the ball.

  5. #20
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Definitely need better players to win. All else is a circle jerk. We have a lot of crappy players. Can't expect to win with these guys, even if Lebron was at the helm. May be 5 more wins with LBJ, so where does that leave us, still under .500 team.

  6. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by welcometonycity
    No way Bosh carries the team like Stat did his first year here and break Ewings record. Stat made us relevant again.
    Not saying Bosh isn't the better player right now because he is, but at the time we signed Stat I didn't see no1 complain.
    I complained and I wasn't the only one we could resigned David Lee for half the we layed out for STAT.

  7. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by knickerbocker12
    look at it this way: the knicks once again got unlucky. it was never supposed to be melo and a bunch of wannabes, it was supposed to be melo, stat and chandler. our "big three". it kind of makes me sad that melo gets all the blame for not being able to put the team on his shoulders, because it really is stat and chandler's fault. Melo has done what was expected of him, stat and chandler have not, and that's the reason we are where we are. NOT MELO.
    The Knicks didnt have a chance at anything when they amnesty Chuancey Billups ....
    we made to many dum-moves.

    The best part of the Melo-trade was "PG-Chauncey Billups leadership/direction/and FINALS experience"
    When Billup's talks the coaching-staff and players listen.
    Melo got rid of PG-Billups!!!

    The Denver Nuggets could not trade Melo by himself, bc no team trusted Melo to resign.
    So Denver through Billups $14M team-option into the Melo-trade to get a buyer.

    When we Amnesty Chuancey Billups .. it set us back three years ..
    that was the Dummest thing to do.
    Our so-call BIG-3 started their first season together without a veteran PG to go 8-15 record .. familia
    Who saved that 2011-12 season without any help from Stat & Melo, a D.League product LinSanity a PG.
    Melo got rid of PG-Linsanity!!!

    We amnesty the best part of the Melo-trade a experience player/coach PG (who tutor Ty Lawson for 2 seasons).
    Our interim GM Glen Grunwald didnt have the power to agree to Billups $14M team-option,
    and he damn sure didnt have the power to amnesty a Star PG Billups for what?
    a career 27 minute per game defensive center Tyson Chandler ..
    plus pay Tyson three times the amount of what he wouldve got from Cuban.
    Dum move .. Dum move .. Dum move.

    Do u really think interim GM Glen Grunwald had the power to go to the press, and say he's going to let a billion $$$ product (Linsanity) test the FA market? Dum move .. Dum move .. Dum move

  8. #23
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by knickerbocker12
    the only thing this means to me is that he also happens to be willing to take a paycut somewhere else...

    Actually there is more to what you say here and that's correct. If you take what he's saying at face value that is.


    He's not worried about the 5th year. Looking at his recruitment statement
    (which btw he can only recruit players who are free agents and not every great player in the league) is him allowing other guys/teams to recruit him on championship pitches.

    In the end he signs for 5yrs $130mil because we've been through this before with Melo, he's about his money first no matter what he says. Chicago may be the only threat.

  9. #24
    Superstar WVKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    655
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    How does Melo taking a Pay-Cut help the Knicks become a winning team? or a NBA contender?
    It doesnt.


    What doesnt make sense are ....
    So many Knicks-Fans has been calling for HC Mike Woodson's head on a stick since the Indiana Pacers series.
    while the same fans praise Carmelo Anthony high-scoring as if he's a super-star.
    whie each game we watch HC Puppet-Woodson coach a 48 minute game to Carmelo Anthony every need/want.


    1) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to increase our inside scoring, or increase our 6 point average in fastbreak baskets.
    2) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to let other Knicks players have a game high in points, or stop Melo from ball-hoggin.
    3) Melo taking a pay-cut so we could spend more money clearing the entire roster to give Melo a new roster of players is not going to change the perception teammates have of Ball-Hoggin ISO-Melo.

    Truth to it all .. If we are going to have a losing season, I would rather have a losing season with a couple of 2014 draft picks we got from trading Melo before the deadline...
    Exactly Kiya!! It doesn't matter if Melo takes less money or not b/c the fact of the matter is the Knicks cannot win with him on this team.Think about it who in their right mind (player) would want to come play for the Knicks? NOBODY b/c they know what he brings to the table and playing team ball is not one of them. The Knicks will not win anything as long as he is on this team b/c of his ego.He doesn't care about team chemistry or team ball all he thinks about is padding his stats and nothing else.He thinks he can win it all by him self well I still don't see no rings on his fingers.As long as melo is here the knicks can forget about becoming NBA CHAMPS.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by WVKnickfan
    Exactly Kiya!! It doesn't matter if Melo takes less money or not b/c the fact of the matter is the Knicks cannot win with him on this team.Think about it who in their right mind (player) would want to come play for the Knicks? NOBODY b/c they know what he brings to the table and playing team ball is not one of them. The Knicks will not win anything as long as he is on this team b/c of his ego.He doesn't care about team chemistry or team ball all he thinks about is padding his stats and nothing else.He thinks he can win it all by him self well I still don't see no rings on his fingers.As long as melo is here the knicks can forget about becoming NBA CHAMPS.

    Have you watched any games this season??? The only game I saw were Melo played for himself was the 62 record game. Ever other game he had great assist and rebounded that help his team score.

    The only ways that make any championship sense is trading Melo or if Lebron come to NY. But Melo + full seat at MSG = $$$$$$$$ for the Knicks organization, championships or not. Why would the Knicks trade all those players for Melo??? Those players weren't seat filling draws.

    If you see the Knicks keep Melo past the trading deadline, you'll know for sure they don't care about championships. OR THE KNICKS FANS

  11. #26
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by WVKnickfan
    Exactly Kiya!! It doesn't matter if Melo takes less money or not b/c the fact of the matter is the Knicks cannot win with him on this team.Think about it who in their right mind (player) would want to come play for the Knicks? NOBODY b/c they know what he brings to the table and playing team ball is not one of them. The Knicks will not win anything as long as he is on this team b/c of his ego.He doesn't care about team chemistry or team ball all he thinks about is padding his stats and nothing else.He thinks he can win it all by him self well I still don't see no rings on his fingers.As long as melo is here the knicks can forget about becoming NBA CHAMPS.

    Melo could also opt in this summer at $23mil on his last year and offer to take the pay cut in 2015, instead of having a $25.5mil cap hit already on the books that year by signing the $130mil deal this off-season.

    Melo thinks he's slick because not many individuals(casual to semi diehards) know about cap rules. Melo would be entitled to make 105% of his previous yr's salary or max(whichever is greater) if he waited to sign a new deal next summer and not this summer. That means he'd be entitled to make 105% of $23mil in 2015 or max(35% of cap). So if he was seriously worried about financial loss, there is none really as long as he stays relatively healthy.

    NBA CBA see link below
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Excerpt From Q16
    A free agent's maximum salary in the first year of a new contract is never less than 105% of his salary in the last year of his previous contract. For example, a ten-year veteran free agent who most recently earned $20 million has a maximum salary of at least $21 million, even if that is above the league-wide maximum.
    Team Salary Info
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Carmelo is scheduled to make $23,333,405 opt in year next year, which would still be a pay raise(7.5%) I don't want to hear this crap about well "it's not your money".....because David Lee and Nate Robinson essentially did the same thing for us their qualifying year.

    The free agents this team is supposedly targeting are free in 2015(Rondo, Love, Gasol etc etc) not 2014...therefore who in the hell is he trying to recruit this summer, that gets us closer to a title?

    Nice try Melo, you can fool all the others who want to be mind fudged by you, not me....my brain works and my heart does not pitter pat for your eyes only.

    This guy is the clown of all clowns....EPIC proportions.
    Last edited by 3G4G; Feb 17, 2014 at 11:52.

  12. #27
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    For the record when I say opt in at $23mil and then look to take a pay cut, it's with the understanding he goes and recruit whoever is supposed to be that guy(s) to rebuild with going forward summer of 2015... while making considerably less than 105% or Max.

    IMO this would be a better indication he's willing to make that sacrifice, as all our big contracts come off the books summer of 2015.

    Melo knows if he leaves besides the 5th year being sacrificed($30mil), no team he goes to offers less than Max....Win-Win for him no matter how you slice it. He's not taking a significant enough pay cut to make a difference for us this summer if he stays and he's not taking a pay cut if he leaves to another team. He can also extend on his new deal after the 3rd season out to 4yrs. So if he left to another team he can discuss signing an extension when he's 33, the same with us. Difference is with us inserting an extension in the 3rd yr would wreak of what his intentions were on this new deal, as being a total money grab.

    Something else we need to keep in mind, Melo can sign for 5yrs with us and insert a No-Trade Clause(Yuck Yuck Yuckity Puke Chunks Yuck). So unless he blesses us with an okay to trade him(wouldn't be surprised if it came with a trade kicker(%5-15)), we'd be absolutely stuck with him for the next 5yrs...5th year making $28.9mil

  13. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by xk3smith
    Have you watched any games this season??? The only game I saw were Melo played for himself was the 62 record game. Ever other game he had great assist and rebounded that help his team score.

    The only ways that make any championship sense is trading Melo or if Lebron come to NY. But Melo + full seat at MSG = $$$$$$$$ for the Knicks organization, championships or not. Why would the Knicks trade all those players for Melo??? Those players weren't seat filling draws.

    If you see the Knicks keep Melo past the trading deadline, you'll know for sure they don't care about championships. OR THE KNICKS FANS

    One of our biggest problems is not having Jason Kidd as our CLOSER .. in the final 5 to 3 minutes of every game this season, we have to put up with Melo decision-making at the end of every game. Its not nice to watch Melo shoot the ball on every offensive-possession the last 3 minutes of a game, plus the move Melo sets up happen to be the same moves he been doing all game, every game since Syracuse.

    Plus we have to listen to commentators "Breen & Clyde" point out all the negative moves of 14 Knicks players ..
    But Breen & Clyde never point out how Melo's 40 minutes per game of ball-hoggin effect his teammates performance. Or how Woodson spot-minute (4 to 5 min) playingtime for all the bench-player effect their performance. Or JRsmith decision-making as a closer receiving starter playingtime.
    Or where's the chemistry on this Knicks team after 25 games???

  14. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by knickerbocker12
    the only thing this means to me is that he also happens to be willing to take a paycut somewhere else...

    Announcing such foolishness in New Orleans during ALL-STAR weekend, after talking with so many All-Star players .. Melo found out his FA worth needs a pay-cut for any suiters to be interested. LMAO

  15. #30
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I am not as negative about Melo as 3G4G, but we come to the same bottom line. I would prefer to let him go and start rebuilding despite the absence of first round picks in 2014 and 2016. We are just not going to contend for a title with Melo notwithstanding all his offensive talent. I do not expect a pay cut significant enough to make a real difference in the free agent market. Melo's contract, unless the home town discount is unbelievably large, will hamstring us for the next half decade. Unfortunately I anticipate he will get the hamstringing contract from Dolan. I see the same old mediocrity going forward and without the hopes attached to teams in rebuilding mode, such as Philadelphia and Boston.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: Jul 13, 2012, 19:53
  2. Sam Smith and Mark Berman article hit pay dirt
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Apr 14, 2009, 12:31
  3. Pay David Lee!
    By CoolClyde in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Jan 22, 2009, 13:07
  4. Pay Lee (no homo)
    By portega1968 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Oct 17, 2008, 09:20
  5. The Dicks Get Richer, and New Yorkers Pay Their Taxes
    By mArBuRyIsAmOrOn in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 02, 2007, 09:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •