Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: You're The GM: Fix the Knicks in 2015

  1. #1
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    12

    Default You're The GM: Fix the Knicks in 2015

    2015 is the year of major talent in free agency. What's your plan to fix the Knicks? Think like a real GM. Keep the following in mind.

    The maximum amount of money a player can sign for is based on the number of years that player has played and the total of the salary cap. The maximum salary of a player with 6 or fewer years of experience is either $9,000,000 or 25% of the total salary cap (2010–11: $14,511,000), whichever is greater.

    For a player with 7–9 years of experience, the maximum is $11,000,000 or 30% of the cap (2010–11: $17,413,200), and for a player with 10+ years of experience, the maximum is $14,000,000 or 35% of the cap (2010–2011: $20,315,400).

    Let's pretend the salary cap for 2015 will be $60,000,000.

    The Don's Plan
    I'm the best GM since Jerry West and I'm easily convincing Carmelo to take less money.
    I'm signing Kyre Irving on the dream of playing on the worlds biggest stage for less cash (keeping the above rules in mind), and I'm bringing on another point guard, Ricky Rubio.

    C-Jeremy Tyler resign for roughly 3,000,000 per year.
    PF-Carmelo Anthony $15,000,000 for first year.
    SF-Tim Hardaway Jr currently under contract.
    SG-Kyre Irving max contract roughly $15,000,000 the initial year.
    PG-Ricky Rubio max contract roughly $15,000,000 the initial year.

    I got Kyre in free agency because the Cavs are stupid and I executed a sign in trade for Shumpert and Chandler to acquire Rubio.

    Bench
    Glen Davis vet exemption
    Amare Staudemire vet exemption
    Jeremy Lynn 5,000,000 per year
    One Euro player and two DLeague or an underrated young player that is yet to enter the league.

  2. #2
    Member knickerbocker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    PG Lin 10-12
    SG Hardaway JR 3
    SF MELO 19
    PF Millsap 11
    C Marc Gasol 15

    Smith is what 6 mil?
    Felton's 5 should be traded by then.

    I'm ballparking the salaries, trying to overestimate so maybe we'll have some extra space, but that puts the knicks at 59. They're well over that now, so who's to say they'll have a problem paying the luxury tax two years from now?

    Maybe grab aldridge or love, convince them to take a cut, and find a buyer for smith?

    we'll have a pick in 2015, given it's not thrown away by then. Maybe we'll have a few more given that chandler/bargs/stat will have expirings next season. Tyler is a good piece it's looking like, murry too. Maybe grab Hansbrough, Asik as a cheaper alternative to Gasol. Forgot about Shump, but he's gonna be traded by then I'm pretty sure. If not, that's fine, he can be a deshawn stevenson at the worst.

    Those are my ideas.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,644
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    wow.. being the GM for the knicks.... way over my pay-grade...

  4. #4
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,004
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I don't know why any player would even want to go to the Knicks now unless that's their favorite team.

  5. #5
    Member InGodsHands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    346
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I don't know why any player would even want to go to the Knicks now unless that's their favorite team.
    Especially when he would have to watch Melo take 30 shots every game and score 2pts in 4th quarter when it matters most.

  6. #6
    Member PaPZ187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Assassinate Dolan. Could only go up from there.

    Really though, it's so damn depressing having an Owner cripple the team you grew up watching and loved, taking away any hope you have for the future of the organization.

    I'm a Jets fan too, and even though some fans aren't big on Woody Johnson, he really does want to win and won't rest til that happens. The Jets are young, have a very good leader at HC IMO, and have a bright future with plenty of cap room and Draft picks. The Knicks on the other hand are trending in a downward spiral, over the cap, and don't even have their first rounder this year.

    I'll always love the Knicks, but this nightmare needs to end sooner or later. Sorry don't mean to derail the thread..... But I honestly don't see hope as long as Dolan is the owner.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member Papajoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    How about re-hiring Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni. I also agree Dolan must go. When will he sell the team. Is anyone starting a boycott the Knicks website? Things won't change until only Dolan's relatives are attending games.. oh, and, Isiah as well.

  8. #8
    Member T.O Knick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    3

    Default



    Sadly does not matter, as long as Dolan is the owner...

    Being a a die hard Knick supporter akin to being a member of the Stonecutters

    As long as we're Stonecutters, he will control our lives"

  9. #9
    Lurker Caseyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by T.O Knick


    Sadly does not matter, as long as Dolan is the owner...

    Being a a die hard Knick supporter akin to being a member of the Stonecutters

    Exactly, we be irrelevant for as long as Dolan owns the team, that's the sad truth

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,921
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by Papajoe
    How about re-hiring Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni. I also agree Dolan must go. When will he sell the team. Is anyone starting a boycott the Knicks website? Things won't change until only Dolan's relatives are attending games.. oh, and, Isiah as well.
    We dont want any GM that are quick to trade our first-round picks, plus give away future draft-picks.
    Our last 4 GM been padding their pockets with under the table cash by giving away our draft-picks.

    We dont want any HC that accepts TANKING the season as if its a part of the job.
    Our last 4 HC did not have a plan, system, or a defensive-scheme on winning.

    It was James Dolan who hand-pick our last 4 GM, and our last 4 HC.
    The Knicks 2014 offseason the organization have to hire a GM, and a HC.
    The first priority.

    The Knicks players are not important once Carmelo Anthony is no longer a Knicks.
    It only takes one bad Apple to spread cancer/HIV to the rest of the apples.
    Carmelo Anthony 48 minutes of padding his stats are clueless on how to keep this team at a .500 record in a weak Eastern Conference (15 teams) that only have 5 teams performing at a .500 or above record.

    The best Knicks news in the 2013-14 season were the day Carmelo Anthony announce "Opting-Out" at the end of the season. How Knicks Fans reverse this as BAD-NEWS has no clarity of the Stephen Marbury era of "individual B.Ball".
    I expected the NBA media/press to spread Carmelo decision as Bad-News, but to who?

  11. #11
    Member gmf1369's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    360
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    My question to all this: Around the web has both Andrea Bargnani & Amare Stoudemire with ETO after this season... Thought Stat was a straight up 5 year deal and Andrea had 2 yrs including this year... Would be interesting how or if Knicks management will talk either or both into opting out...

    I may be wrong but unsure b/c of so many conflicting reports...

    Anyways if D'Antoni is safe in L.A. for next season the Knicks could make this off season trade Felton, & Chandler to the Lakers for 2015 1st Round to stabilize that roster for for Mike D. ... Might able to throw in J.R. as well, but doubt it...

    J.R. Smith is the harder sale... Too immature, unless a stable locker room with high character veterans to corral him... Won't get anything more than a 2nd Rd for him or another body in return... Hopefully it would be an expiring contract but we know our management is glutton to taking on multi year in return...

    We need athletic big men that first priority is rebounding, then defense to optimize plus/minus, second chance points... Melo needs a pass first point guard younger version of what Prigioni brings to the table... Shumpert is viable wing defender but we need to build out the athletic defenders with one additional first priority scorer...

    Still surprised we didn't try to bring in Drew Gooden recently but maybe signing him after this year on a 1 or 2 yr deal could be an option... Possibly add Dahntay Jones as well... Veteran stability showed it can enhance a young core team to be productive...

    Even if Stat & Bargs are not moved, for 14-15 season we still would have a competitive roster with funds to add good 1 yr deals...

    For me, something like this could be feasible until after 14-15 season where Kevin Love will be in free agency...

    14-15 Roster
    PG: Rodney Stuckey 1 yr deal
    SG: Iman Shumpert
    SF: Carmelo Anthony
    PF: Andrea Bargnani Restricted
    C: Drew Gooden 1 yr deal


    14-15 Bench
    PG: Pablo Prigioni
    SG: Tim Hardaway Jr.
    SF: J.R. Smith
    PF: Amare Stoudemire
    C: Jeremy Tyler Q.O. deal Restricted

    14-15 Reserve
    SF: Dahntay Jones 1 yr deal
    PG: Toure Murry 1 yr deal Restricted
    PF: Trey Thompkins 1 yr deal Restricted

    Rodney Stuckey is the x-factor who might want a multi year deal and I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as he will tailor his game to more of a distributor than scorer at the PG position...

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by gmf1369
    My question to all this: Around the web has both Andrea Bargnani & Amare Stoudemire with ETO after this season... Thought Stat was a straight up 5 year deal and Andrea had 2 yrs including this year... Would be interesting how or if Knicks management will talk either or both into opting out...

    I may be wrong but unsure b/c of so many conflicting reports...

    Anyways if D'Antoni is safe in L.A. for next season the Knicks could make this off season trade Felton, & Chandler to the Lakers for 2015 1st Round to stabilize that roster for for Mike D. ... Might able to throw in J.R. as well, but doubt it...

    J.R. Smith is the harder sale... Too immature, unless a stable locker room with high character veterans to corral him... Won't get anything more than a 2nd Rd for him or another body in return... Hopefully it would be an expiring contract but we know our management is glutton to taking on multi year in return...

    We need athletic big men that first priority is rebounding, then defense to optimize plus/minus, second chance points... Melo needs a pass first point guard younger version of what Prigioni brings to the table... Shumpert is viable wing defender but we need to build out the athletic defenders with one additional first priority scorer...

    Still surprised we didn't try to bring in Drew Gooden recently but maybe signing him after this year on a 1 or 2 yr deal could be an option... Possibly add Dahntay Jones as well... Veteran stability showed it can enhance a young core team to be productive...

    Even if Stat & Bargs are not moved, for 14-15 season we still would have a competitive roster with funds to add good 1 yr deals...

    For me, something like this could be feasible until after 14-15 season where Kevin Love will be in free agency...

    14-15 Roster
    PG: Rodney Stuckey 1 yr deal
    SG: Iman Shumpert
    SF: Carmelo Anthony
    PF: Andrea Bargnani Restricted
    C: Drew Gooden 1 yr deal


    14-15 Bench
    PG: Pablo Prigioni
    SG: Tim Hardaway Jr.
    SF: J.R. Smith
    PF: Amare Stoudemire
    C: Jeremy Tyler Q.O. deal Restricted

    14-15 Reserve
    SF: Dahntay Jones 1 yr deal
    PG: Toure Murry 1 yr deal Restricted
    PF: Trey Thompkins 1 yr deal Restricted

    Rodney Stuckey is the x-factor who might want a multi year deal and I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as he will tailor his game to more of a distributor than scorer at the PG position...



    Beg Danny Granger to come be our starting SF for the season.....

    Pablo
    Sump
    Granger
    Melo
    Chandler

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,644
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by gmf1369
    Thought Stat was a straight up 5 year deal and Andrea had 2 yrs including this year... Would be interesting how or if Knicks management will talk either or both into opting out......
    opting out???... amar'e is set to make 23.4m, the I-Talian 12m... and u think they are walking away... why would they do that??..

  14. #14
    Member gmf1369's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    360
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    my question was really about their contracts, after 2014 it doesn't matter both will likely be gone... another season with broken fire extinguishers is not going to hurt this broken franchise...

  15. #15
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,318
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    If 'Melo stays or if 'Melo goes... Best strategy for the Knicks is to STINK in 2014. Get the best draft pick possible.

    The Knicks have no pick in 2014 or 2016. In other words, the best player our beloved Knicks can draft in next 3 years comes next summer.

    THjr, Tyler, Murry, & whatever young asset we can find sometime from now until then (2014-2015), along with a top lottery pick in 2015, PLUS Melo AND 35-40 million in cap space to spend... This is how Knicks will get out of this mess; and, if 'Melo walks... Same thing, but no 'Melo and 50-55 million to spend.

    The worst thing for our Knicks is to marginally improve, in a futile attempt to compete next season?

    Instead, they would be better served trading Chandler's & Barg's expiring contracts... This should net us something in return: a draft pick this year (possibly), a young asset we could polish and groom, or a pile of expiring trash that alleviates our 2015 payroll of Felton-Smith's commitments.If I couldn't rid myself of Smith, I would then sit JR down and tell him he is being given his final chance... NOBODY in NBA wants him; so He either matures and plays his part & leave sup to his enormous potential, or I'll cut him. NO more tweeting, off-the-cuff remarks, no more partying. Just focus on basketball. If he does, he'll hoist a trophy come June, 2016 and everything he's done in the past will be forgiven.



    I would then start Murry, Shump, THjr, Melo and Tyler... Give the 4-young horses all the experience they can get in 2014. This will pay dividends come 2015. I would (hopefully) stink... see improvement on the kids and get a top pick. I would have enough to decide if I keep Murry, Shump or Tyler.



    Melo, kids who have gained valuable experience, plus a lottery pick... plus 2 All-Star max-caliber free agents, along with a vet piece or two... This is how we compete to win the Eastern Conf in 2015 (by then, Wade is trash) and get to the NBA Finals.



    Who will stand in our way?


    Will 'Melo be willing to wait another year?

    OH, and this too:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by mafra; Mar 02, 2014 at 10:04.

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks 2015
    By bigapple in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec 31, 2013, 13:39
  2. Lebron/Melo/Chandler Knicks froncourt in 2015?
    By New New York in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: Aug 07, 2013, 17:50
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Dec 25, 2012, 23:15
  4. The Knicks Fix From Las Vegas
    By elcol in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 14, 2012, 17:34
  5. Artest Believes Walsh Will Fix Knicks
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan 13, 2009, 19:39

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •