You're The GM: Fix the Knicks in 2015

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
2015 is the year of major talent in free agency. What's your plan to fix the Knicks? Think like a real GM. Keep the following in mind.

The maximum amount of money a player can sign for is based on the number of years that player has played and the total of the salary cap. The maximum salary of a player with 6 or fewer years of experience is either $9,000,000 or 25% of the total salary cap (2010–11: $14,511,000), whichever is greater.

For a player with 7–9 years of experience, the maximum is $11,000,000 or 30% of the cap (2010–11: $17,413,200), and for a player with 10+ years of experience, the maximum is $14,000,000 or 35% of the cap (2010–2011: $20,315,400).

Let's pretend the salary cap for 2015 will be $60,000,000.

The Don's Plan
I'm the best GM since Jerry West and I'm easily convincing Carmelo to take less money.
I'm signing Kyre Irving on the dream of playing on the worlds biggest stage for less cash (keeping the above rules in mind), and I'm bringing on another point guard, Ricky Rubio.

C-Jeremy Tyler resign for roughly 3,000,000 per year.
PF-Carmelo Anthony $15,000,000 for first year.
SF-Tim Hardaway Jr currently under contract.
SG-Kyre Irving max contract roughly $15,000,000 the initial year.
PG-Ricky Rubio max contract roughly $15,000,000 the initial year.

I got Kyre in free agency because the Cavs are stupid and I executed a sign in trade for Shumpert and Chandler to acquire Rubio.

Bench
Glen Davis vet exemption
Amare Staudemire vet exemption
Jeremy Lynn 5,000,000 per year
One Euro player and two DLeague or an underrated young player that is yet to enter the league.

knickerbocker12

Benchwarmer
PG Lin 10-12
SG Hardaway JR 3
SF MELO 19
PF Millsap 11
C Marc Gasol 15

Smith is what 6 mil?
Felton's 5 should be traded by then.

I'm ballparking the salaries, trying to overestimate so maybe we'll have some extra space, but that puts the knicks at 59. They're well over that now, so who's to say they'll have a problem paying the luxury tax two years from now?

Maybe grab aldridge or love, convince them to take a cut, and find a buyer for smith?

we'll have a pick in 2015, given it's not thrown away by then. Maybe we'll have a few more given that chandler/bargs/stat will have expirings next season. Tyler is a good piece it's looking like, murry too. Maybe grab Hansbrough, Asik as a cheaper alternative to Gasol. Forgot about Shump, but he's gonna be traded by then I'm pretty sure. If not, that's fine, he can be a deshawn stevenson at the worst.

Those are my ideas.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Assassinate Dolan. Could only go up from there.

Really though, it's so damn depressing having an Owner cripple the team you grew up watching and loved, taking away any hope you have for the future of the organization.

I'm a Jets fan too, and even though some fans aren't big on Woody Johnson, he really does want to win and won't rest til that happens. The Jets are young, have a very good leader at HC IMO, and have a bright future with plenty of cap room and Draft picks. The Knicks on the other hand are trending in a downward spiral, over the cap, and don't even have their first rounder this year.

I'll always love the Knicks, but this nightmare needs to end sooner or later. Sorry don't mean to derail the thread..... But I honestly don't see hope as long as Dolan is the owner.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Papajoe

Benchwarmer
How about re-hiring Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni. I also agree Dolan must go. When will he sell the team. Is anyone starting a boycott the Knicks website? Things won't change until only Dolan's relatives are attending games.. oh, and, Isiah as well.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
homerthegreat5_thumb.png

Sadly does not matter, as long as Dolan is the owner...

Being a a die hard Knick supporter akin to being a member of the Stonecutters

As long as we're Stonecutters, he will control our lives"

Kiyaman

Legend
How about re-hiring Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni. I also agree Dolan must go. When will he sell the team. Is anyone starting a boycott the Knicks website? Things won't change until only Dolan's relatives are attending games.. oh, and, Isiah as well.

We dont want any GM that are quick to trade our first-round picks, plus give away future draft-picks.
Our last 4 GM been padding their pockets with under the table cash by giving away our draft-picks.

We dont want any HC that accepts TANKING the season as if its a part of the job.
Our last 4 HC did not have a plan, system, or a defensive-scheme on winning.

It was James Dolan who hand-pick our last 4 GM, and our last 4 HC.
The Knicks 2014 offseason the organization have to hire a GM, and a HC.
The first priority.

The Knicks players are not important once Carmelo Anthony is no longer a Knicks.
It only takes one bad Apple to spread cancer/HIV to the rest of the apples.
Carmelo Anthony 48 minutes of padding his stats are clueless on how to keep this team at a .500 record in a weak Eastern Conference (15 teams) that only have 5 teams performing at a .500 or above record.

The best Knicks news in the 2013-14 season were the day Carmelo Anthony announce "Opting-Out" at the end of the season. How Knicks Fans reverse this as BAD-NEWS has no clarity of the Stephen Marbury era of "individual B.Ball".
I expected the NBA media/press to spread Carmelo decision as Bad-News, but to who?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
My question to all this: Around the web has both Andrea Bargnani & Amare Stoudemire with ETO after this season... Thought Stat was a straight up 5 year deal and Andrea had 2 yrs including this year... Would be interesting how or if Knicks management will talk either or both into opting out...

I may be wrong but unsure b/c of so many conflicting reports...

Anyways if D'Antoni is safe in L.A. for next season the Knicks could make this off season trade Felton, & Chandler to the Lakers for 2015 1st Round to stabilize that roster for for Mike D. ... Might able to throw in J.R. as well, but doubt it...

J.R. Smith is the harder sale... Too immature, unless a stable locker room with high character veterans to corral him... Won't get anything more than a 2nd Rd for him or another body in return... Hopefully it would be an expiring contract but we know our management is glutton to taking on multi year in return...

We need athletic big men that first priority is rebounding, then defense to optimize plus/minus, second chance points... Melo needs a pass first point guard younger version of what Prigioni brings to the table... Shumpert is viable wing defender but we need to build out the athletic defenders with one additional first priority scorer...

Still surprised we didn't try to bring in Drew Gooden recently but maybe signing him after this year on a 1 or 2 yr deal could be an option... Possibly add Dahntay Jones as well... Veteran stability showed it can enhance a young core team to be productive...

Even if Stat & Bargs are not moved, for 14-15 season we still would have a competitive roster with funds to add good 1 yr deals...

For me, something like this could be feasible until after 14-15 season where Kevin Love will be in free agency...

14-15 Roster
PG: Rodney Stuckey 1 yr deal
SG: Iman Shumpert
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Andrea Bargnani Restricted
C: Drew Gooden 1 yr deal

14-15 Bench
PG: Pablo Prigioni
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr.
SF: J.R. Smith
PF: Amare Stoudemire
C: Jeremy Tyler Q.O. deal Restricted

14-15 Reserve
SF: Dahntay Jones 1 yr deal
PG: Toure Murry 1 yr deal Restricted
PF: Trey Thompkins 1 yr deal Restricted

Rodney Stuckey is the x-factor who might want a multi year deal and I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as he will tailor his game to more of a distributor than scorer at the PG position...

skisloper

Starter
My question to all this: Around the web has both Andrea Bargnani & Amare Stoudemire with ETO after this season... Thought Stat was a straight up 5 year deal and Andrea had 2 yrs including this year... Would be interesting how or if Knicks management will talk either or both into opting out...

I may be wrong but unsure b/c of so many conflicting reports...

Anyways if D'Antoni is safe in L.A. for next season the Knicks could make this off season trade Felton, & Chandler to the Lakers for 2015 1st Round to stabilize that roster for for Mike D. ... Might able to throw in J.R. as well, but doubt it...

J.R. Smith is the harder sale... Too immature, unless a stable locker room with high character veterans to corral him... Won't get anything more than a 2nd Rd for him or another body in return... Hopefully it would be an expiring contract but we know our management is glutton to taking on multi year in return...

We need athletic big men that first priority is rebounding, then defense to optimize plus/minus, second chance points... Melo needs a pass first point guard younger version of what Prigioni brings to the table... Shumpert is viable wing defender but we need to build out the athletic defenders with one additional first priority scorer...

Still surprised we didn't try to bring in Drew Gooden recently but maybe signing him after this year on a 1 or 2 yr deal could be an option... Possibly add Dahntay Jones as well... Veteran stability showed it can enhance a young core team to be productive...

Even if Stat & Bargs are not moved, for 14-15 season we still would have a competitive roster with funds to add good 1 yr deals...

For me, something like this could be feasible until after 14-15 season where Kevin Love will be in free agency...

14-15 Roster
PG: Rodney Stuckey 1 yr deal
SG: Iman Shumpert
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Andrea Bargnani Restricted
C: Drew Gooden 1 yr deal

14-15 Bench
PG: Pablo Prigioni
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr.
SF: J.R. Smith
PF: Amare Stoudemire
C: Jeremy Tyler Q.O. deal Restricted

14-15 Reserve
SF: Dahntay Jones 1 yr deal
PG: Toure Murry 1 yr deal Restricted
PF: Trey Thompkins 1 yr deal Restricted

Rodney Stuckey is the x-factor who might want a multi year deal and I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as he will tailor his game to more of a distributor than scorer at the PG position...

Beg Danny Granger to come be our starting SF for the season.....

Pablo
Sump
Granger
Melo
Chandler

paris401

Starter
Thought Stat was a straight up 5 year deal and Andrea had 2 yrs including this year... Would be interesting how or if Knicks management will talk either or both into opting out......

opting out???... amar'e is set to make 23.4m, the I-Talian 12m... and u think they are walking away... why would they do that??..

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
my question was really about their contracts, after 2014 it doesn't matter both will likely be gone... another season with broken fire extinguishers is not going to hurt this broken franchise...

mafra

Legend
If 'Melo stays or if 'Melo goes... Best strategy for the Knicks is to STINK in 2014. Get the best draft pick possible.

The Knicks have no pick in 2014 or 2016. In other words, the best player our beloved Knicks can draft in next 3 years comes next summer.

THjr, Tyler, Murry, & whatever young asset we can find sometime from now until then (2014-2015), along with a top lottery pick in 2015, PLUS Melo AND 35-40 million in cap space to spend... This is how Knicks will get out of this mess; and, if 'Melo walks... Same thing, but no 'Melo and 50-55 million to spend.

The worst thing for our Knicks is to marginally improve, in a futile attempt to compete next season?

Instead, they would be better served trading Chandler's & Barg's expiring contracts... This should net us something in return: a draft pick this year (possibly), a young asset we could polish and groom, or a pile of expiring trash that alleviates our 2015 payroll of Felton-Smith's commitments.If I couldn't rid myself of Smith, I would then sit JR down and tell him he is being given his final chance... NOBODY in NBA wants him; so He either matures and plays his part & leave sup to his enormous potential, or I'll cut him. NO more tweeting, off-the-cuff remarks, no more partying. Just focus on basketball. If he does, he'll hoist a trophy come June, 2016 and everything he's done in the past will be forgiven.

I would then start Murry, Shump, THjr, Melo and Tyler... Give the 4-young horses all the experience they can get in 2014. This will pay dividends come 2015. I would (hopefully) stink... see improvement on the kids and get a top pick. I would have enough to decide if I keep Murry, Shump or Tyler.

Melo, kids who have gained valuable experience, plus a lottery pick... plus 2 All-Star max-caliber free agents, along with a vet piece or two... This is how we compete to win the Eastern Conf in 2015 (by then, Wade is trash) and get to the NBA Finals.

Who will stand in our way?

Will 'Melo be willing to wait another year?

OH, and this too:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/01/knicks-could-target-old-pal-thibodeau-after-season/

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
"When former president Donnie Walsh conducted his coaching search in 2007, Walsh didn’t grant Thibodeau an interview before naming Mike D’Antoni."

Another (in a long list of blows) Walsh landed on our Knicks... Man, that GM was worse than IT.

Kiyaman

Legend
Posted by gmf1369 View Post
Thought Stat was a straight up 5 year deal and Andrea had 2 yrs including this year... Would be interesting how or if Knicks management will talk either or both into opting out......

Having Stat & Barg as frontline scorers give the Knicks a bigman scoring-edge.
Both players are satisfied playing 30 minutes a game.
Adding K-Mart, Tyler, and MWP into the frontline rotation gives the Knicks a huge frontline bigmen edge of offense/defense for two seasons to build a win win chemistry.
Notice I did not include Melo/Tyson in the rotation bc they are not needed on the Knicks .. get rid of them.

my question was really about their contracts, after 2014 it doesn't matter both will likely be gone... another season with broken fire extinguishers is not going to hurt this broken franchise...

There never wouldve been any broken fire extinguisher incident on the Knicks if ball-hogger Melo/JR wouldve kept their no-defensive skills, and no-fastbreak talent on the Denver Nuggets.
Knicks Fans only worry about players expensive contracts bc of a $21M ISO-Melo demanding $30M per for the future.
How many elite players in the NBA want to play a 48 minute isolation-offense system with ball-hogger Melo/JR?
All the Knicks injury-prone players in the past 3 seasons answer that question.
How many Knicks players Bowed-Out of playing in the playoff games the past 3 seasons?
u can start with Amare, Billups, Lin, Shump, Rasheed, K.Thomas, Camby, Kidd, Tyson, and ..........

So as Knicks new GM for the 2014-15 season, we can not afford to have Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks giving the organization altermatum at the start of a season. First priority !!!

Im sorry Dolan, but Carmelo Anthony was another one of ur wrong decision for the Knicks team...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If 'Melo stays or if 'Melo goes... Best strategy for the Knicks is to STINK in 2014. Get the best draft pick possible.

The Knicks have no pick in 2014 or 2016. In other words, the best player our beloved Knicks can draft in next 3 years comes next summer.

THjr, Tyler, Murry, & whatever young asset we can find sometime from now until then (2014-2015), along with a top lottery pick in 2015, PLUS Melo AND 35-40 million in cap space to spend... This is how Knicks will get out of this mess; and, if 'Melo walks... Same thing, but no 'Melo and 50-55 million to spend.

The worst thing for our Knicks is to marginally improve, in a futile attempt to compete next season?

Instead, they would be better served trading Chandler's & Barg's expiring contracts... This should net us something in return: a draft pick this year (possibly), a young asset we could polish and groom, or a pile of expiring trash that alleviates our 2015 payroll of Felton-Smith's commitments.If I couldn't rid myself of Smith, I would then sit JR down and tell him he is being given his final chance... NOBODY in NBA wants him; so He either matures and plays his part & leave sup to his enormous potential, or I'll cut him. NO more tweeting, off-the-cuff remarks, no more partying. Just focus on basketball. If he does, he'll hoist a trophy come June, 2016 and everything he's done in the past will be forgiven.

I would then start Murry, Shump, THjr, Melo and Tyler... Give the 4-young horses all the experience they can get in 2014. This will pay dividends come 2015. I would (hopefully) stink... see improvement on the kids and get a top pick. I would have enough to decide if I keep Murry, Shump or Tyler.

Melo, kids who have gained valuable experience, plus a lottery pick... plus 2 All-Star max-caliber free agents, along with a vet piece or two... This is how we compete to win the Eastern Conf in 2015 (by then, Wade is trash) and get to the NBA Finals.

Who will stand in our way?

Will 'Melo be willing to wait another year?

OH, and this too:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/01/knicks-could-target-old-pal-thibodeau-after-season/
Good post. I've wanted the young guys to be getting a lot of minutes this season. I don't see how Felton starting and closing out games is benefiting the team in any way. I don't see how J.R. gets a free pass on almost every bad thing he does. I could go on and on.

Murry and Tyler has had good games, and Woodson is either a biased bafoon, or he's a scared bafoon (using his veterans only against some Playoff teams such as the Bulls today as if that's been working), or both. Murry had a solid games against the Warriors on both ends of the court, yet he didn't play him until he gave up. The Knicks don't have picks this year, but they have some young talent, they need to use it.

You know Woodson is bad when I rather have D'Antoni.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
The Knicks have been a ?buy? rather than a ?build? mode forwell over a decade. Thus our penchant for trading first round picks for the likes of Curry and Bargnani. We gave up picks for Melo but he is hardly a Curry or Bargnani. I believe that Melohas given us more than we could have expected with respect to individualperformance. But we have nobody to helphim.

As one of the posters has noted several times, perhaps we should ?free? Carmelo. In the first place, we might have to. Even with Melo, we have nothing goingforward. There are no draft picks in 2014 or 2016. We are over the cap next year with or without Melo. Chicago is looking more and more like a destination for Melo. He could win there and Thibs is likely to mold him into the defensive player his athleticism allows. With an engaged Melo, a healthy Rose, Noah and Butler, Chicago would be right up there with Miami and Indiana.
Losing Melo will force us into a build mode even though, given our draft positions, the build mode will be difficult. Chicago will have room for Melo by letting Boozer go through an amnesty. It would not be unreasonable for Melo to sign with Chicago, even though he could get a better contract with the Knicks. Let?s do a sign and trade. We get Boozer with one year remaining on his contract, perhaps Snell and some draft picks. I do not think Chicago would be willing to give up Butler. And I do not think Chicago will throw in Thibs.
We will, of course, be in tanking mode without even doing it on purpose. We should get a real goodpick in 2015.
Of course, we would be a much better team with Melo on anextended contract, but I do not believe we can give him enough help even with somemoney to spend for free agents in 2015, to be anything other than a mid-level team.

paris401

Starter
Chicago will have room for Melo by letting Boozer go through an amnesty. It would not be unreasonable for Melo to sign with Chicago, even though he could get a better contract with the Knicks. Let’s do a sign and trade. We get Boozer with one year remaining on his contract, perhaps Snell and some draft picks. I do not think Chicago would be willing to give up Butler. .

maybe i'm missing something... but why would the bulls..or anyone do a sign and trade for melo??? ... when he opt's out u can sign him for less $$$/years, and u give up nothing...

yes its a gamble for the bulls, but melo's only other option is resigning with the knicks for more $$$/yrs... and being stuck on a very sucky team with no chance to get a ring...

gauge the player... what does he want more... $30m, or that ring... if it was me, i'd take the $$$.... u can get quite a nice ring for less then 30m , and have some coin leftover...