Phil Jackson Has Officially Agreed To Join Knicks

tiger0330

Legend
What do you think about Phil Jackson?

Supposedly met with Steve Mills and discussed the Knicks head coaching job which he said he wouldn't be interested in. Doesn't surprise me about him NOT wanting the head coaching job since he has never taken on a rebuilding effort like the Knicks.

But how about as a GM for the Knicks as rumors have Dolan offering him some kind of front office position. He's never been a GM but his winning track record as a coach and NBA experience has to be invaluable. PJ has said he's ready to come back to work in the NBA and he'll probably have a lot of offers both to coach and for front office positions and the Knicks wouldn't be the most attractive team for him to join but I think he's just what you need as a first step in turning around the Knicks. I just hope he doesn't speak to Larry Brown about coming here.

Kiyaman

Legend
A nice thought ....................

Phil Jackson .. the NBA #1 contender headcoach as the Knicks GM

that's the first step to become a winning franchise. Thought over

Its hard to weigh rumors from Steven A Smith from Mills

Too old. If we got Phil 10 years ago, that would be great, but he has no interest in risking his legacy at this stage for us. It will be Larry Brown all over again, except in the Front Office.

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Knicks (Seek To) Hire Phil Jackson as Team President - Get Full Control

Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman 5m
Mills on report Jax leaning toward taking basketball operations job says "Can't talk about it."

@SportsCenter 5m
THIS JUST IN: Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking job with Knicks to become president of basketball operations. (via @stephenasmith)

----------------------------------------------

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report Follow
James Dolan and #Knicks appear to have sweetened the pot by offering Phil Jackson full control. Phil has emotional ties to Knicks.

6:32 PM - 8 Mar 2014

Jordan Schultz ‏@Schultz_Report
I would expect Phil Jackson to take over Knicks Head of Basketball Operations by Monday.

6:40 PM - 8 Mar 2014

Not sure why you made the thread title seem so definitive, even if Phil Jackson is reportedly leaning towards taking the job. I've heard that this hiring would be the Knicks bringing in Jackson as a "very expensive consultant". Yeah, that sounds like something we'd do. Too bad we can't just hire competent head coaches and GMs, we need to maximize the internal conflict by having high profile consultants. Let's see if this actually happens as certainly as the most recent news implies that it will happen.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman 5m
Mills on report Jax leaning toward taking basketball operations job says "Can't talk about it."

@SportsCenter 5m
THIS JUST IN: Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking job with Knicks to become president of basketball operations. (via @stephenasmith)

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report Follow
James Dolan and #Knicks appear to have sweetened the pot by offering Phil Jackson full control. Phil has emotional ties to Knicks.

6:32 PM - 8 Mar 2014

Jordan Schultz ‏@Schultz_Report
I would expect Phil Jackson to take over Knicks Head of Basketball Operations by Monday.

6:40 PM - 8 Mar 2014

why would you title the thread like this?

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
I hope it is a permanent position with full control, rather than a overpaid consultant.

We need a firm plan and vision, with decisive leadership.

tiger0330

Legend
Why would a HOF like Jackson take a consultant job no matter how much it pays, he's the most in demand coach in the game and I think he'll be a great GM.

I think this is a great hire if PJ has the energy to do this job, there is a concern about his age but PJ says he wants back in the game so I assume he's healthy, well rested and raring to go. Mills wasn't the guy to be the GM and he knows it, he'll hire someone to run the Knicks even if it isn't PJ. A bonus in hiring PJ is you get to keep Melo in NY, I see him opting in if PJ is hired.

CoolClyde

I fixed the title of the thread. please don't start threads with undetermined, undecided events as the title. you're going to give someone a heart attack or a hard on.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Phil's got the name, experience and two hands full of championship rings to give Dolan confidence to step out of the way. He's never done the job before, but I think he's smart enough to know to salvage the cap space of 2015. If Melo leaves we need to keep this 2015 cap space to recruit new talent. I would not sacrifice this to appease Melo to stay.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
If Jackson were in fact hired as President of Basketball Operations and actually had full control, I am not sure he would want to build a team around Melo and a likely five year $130M contract ending when Melo is 36 years old. In fact, I believe it would reduce the chance that Melo is with us next year.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
If Jackson were in fact hired as President of Basketball Operations and actually had full control, I am not sure he would want to build a team around Melo and a likely five year $130M contract ending when Melo is 36 years old. In fact, I believe it would reduce the chance that Melo is with us next year.

The ball could also bounce either way with Dolan (headlines), "Jackson hired to build around Carmelo Anthony" or "Jackson hired as Knicks president of basketball operations"???

I want Phil Jackson to make all the Knicks signing/trades/decision-making this offseason.
with melo or without melo

Wargames

Starter

If you guys think Phil Jackson agreed to come to NYK to not GM a team with Carmelo Anthony your not seeing the forest for the tree's. Melo is 29 so his contract would only go to 34 and the knicks will have the resources to finally build around him in 2015. Getting Phil is a sign to Melo that the knicks will build a championship team around him. **** signing Shannon Brown all of a sudden makes sense since he could help teach the triangle to everyone else on the Roster.

Kiyaman

Legend
The walkin unemploye GM's are discussing ways to fix the Knicks:

The Knicks hope to re-sign Carmelo Anthony this summer. But if he were to leave all that extra money on the table to go to the Bulls or another team, it could be a blessing in disguise for the Knicks, according to a former NBA general manager.

"I really think if Carmelo left them, he may be doing them a favor," said the former general manager, who has no ties to the Knicks. "They probably don't see it that way. But in the long run, it's probably doing them a favor."
The logic is that it would give the Knicks a chance to rebuild. They'll have a boatload of cap space in the summer of 2015 ? when Amar'e Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler and Andrea Bargnani are scheduled to come off the books and Rajon Rondo, Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge could hit the open market ? and a first-round draft pick.

The likely result would be another lean season in 2014-15, but the source ? who has rebuilt teams before ? thinks it could turn around quickly. "New York is the greatest city in the world and the Garden is the best place to play basketball," he said. "Guys want to go to play in New York. It's going to hurt for a little bit. But if you have cap space, it's not going to be that hard to get a good player to come to New York."

The Knicks have gone this route before. They endured some rough years when they were clearing the money they used to sign Stoudemire and collecting the assets to acquire Anthony.

If they choose that path for one year, the ex-GM said their "splash" this offseason could be trying to hire Phil Jackson to run the basketball department, or signing a high-profile
coach such as Billy Donovan or John Calipari.

But Anthony might take the money and re-sign with the hope that the Knicks can become a contender quickly. If so, the former executive said the Knicks shouldn't take back big contracts in any trades unless they're part of a package for a proven star. Otherwise, they should sign players to one-year deals or acquire players on an expiring pact so they don't hurt their flexibility for 2015.

Chandler's future
If the Knicks come back with essentially the same roster, Tyson Chandler isn't sure he wants to return. He said he would have a decision to make.

petescud

Starter
I don't have any idea how Phil will do. I do know being a Buss family member, i'm sure he has a good feel for what GM';s do....Honestly, it will be a improvement imo over most GM's we had over the years

Wargames

Starter
Im excited. My biggest question is if the knicks run the triangle or not. If they do I expect the 2015 FA to go entirely different than what people expect now. Instead of targeting Kevin love and/or Rondo. I expect the knicks to try to get Marc Gasol and Kwahi Leonard.

Thats a radical shift from trying to squeeze In to Max contracts and praying it works.

Also I expect Phil to get the best out of Melo these next few season.....

Kiyaman

Legend
If Phil Jax sign on to be the Knicks President of Operation the Knicks organization should give a Parade down 5th Avenue.

tiger0330

Legend
Supposedly this is a done deal and they're just dotting the I's and crossing the T's but I don't know. Marv Alpert said it would be a bad move for Phil and if PJ asks Larry Brown I don't think he's going to have nice things to say about the Knicks. Other than Zeke I can't think of anyone who would tell Phil it's the job he should take.

Maybe Phil comes here just for the money and get's a 50M 5 year deal and he says what the hell, if the Knicks fire me in 2 years they still have to pay me 50M.