Realistic and unrealistic moves to save 2014 - 2015 season

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
What moves can be done to make the next season a better season. Wishful thinking is welcomed too.....
What trigered this thread is Amare's announcment that he will do any sacrifice necessary to help the team (Real GM)

Can he for example opt out next season and sign with the Knicks for much less?

Kiyaman

Legend
I dont see Amare Stoudemire playing for less than his original contract for the Knicks, while Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks.
here is a little good & bad history on Amare .....

In February 2011, the Knicks organization FLIP on Amare by giving soul control of the offense to Carmelo Anthony.
Amare hasnt been happy in New York, since Dec. 2010. when the Knicks team average 90 shots per game, and Amare average 18 shots to average 25 pts, 9 rbd, 3 ast, and 2 blks per game.
The addition of Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks has reduce Amare FGA from 18 shots to 8 shots per game.
Plus taking Amare out of the starter lineup to receive spot-minute playingtime.

I recall a time when the Western Conference had the Top 3 dominating PF in the NBA .. Duncan/KG/and Amare .. what they lack in youth today, they have in talent/skills/and experience.

I dont believe the Hype of Amare being "injury-prone", especially from Knicks medical staff.
Amare previous team injuries on the Phoenix Suns had reason .. to get Marbury out of Phoenix Amare played injured, to get Shaq out of Phoenix Amare played injured. When GM Steve Kerr didnt resign Star SG Joe Johnson, then traded SG Q.Brick for PF Kurt Thomas, plus added PF-Diaw, and PF-Brian, Star PF Amare played injured that season.
So the Phoenix Suns had a good reason for offering a FA Amare Stoudemire a 6 year contract with only 3 years guranteed.

tiger0330

Legend
What moves can be done to make the next season a better season. Wishful thinking is welcomed too.....
What trigered this thread is Amare's announcment that he will do any sacrifice necessary to help the team (Real GM)

Can he for example opt out next season and sign with the Knicks for much less?
I don't see that he has a player or team option for next year so no he can not take a pay cut. I guess the sacrifices he's talking about are like this year coming off the bench or since he's been a difference maker since starting maybe playing 30+ mins a game instead of 20. His sacrifice may come when his current contract expires and he gives the Knicks a discount in signing him to a vet min contract if no one is interested in signing him.

As far as moves for next year, Felton has to go and maybe the Knicks can get someone from overseas like the Rockets got Pat Beverly. I'd like to see the Knicks look at Bobby Brown again, he scored the most points 74 by an foreign born player over in China. And please no more 30 plus vets like Udrih, Bibby, Bdiddy etc.

skisloper

Starter
I don't see that he has a player or team option for next year so no he can not take a pay cut. I guess the sacrifices he's talking about are like this year coming off the bench or since he's been a difference maker since starting maybe playing 30+ mins a game instead of 20. His sacrifice may come when his current contract expires and he gives the Knicks a discount in signing him to a vet min contract if no one is interested in signing him.

As far as moves for next year, Felton has to go and maybe the Knicks can get someone from overseas like the Rockets got Pat Beverly. I'd like to see the Knicks look at Bobby Brown again, he scored the most points 74 by an foreign born player over in China. And please no more 30 plus vets like Udrih, Bibby, Bdiddy etc.

Or Jackson goes after Lin and lets him run the triangle offense for a year and see what happens....Our PG for next season unless we get a miracle will not be our point guard for the following season so why not try Lin.......Chandler and Felton for Lin.....

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I don't think parting with chandler is a good move for next season. Who will be our anchor in D ?

And about amare, I thought he had a player option this year along with bargniani, isn't that right?

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think parting with chandler is a good move for next season. Who will be our anchor in D ?

And about amare, I thought he had a player option this year along with bargniani, isn't that right?
You may be right. One site I checked only had Melo as having a player option and not Bargnani or Stat but Sportrac has both as having early termination options. Stat could opt out and become a FA and sign with the Knicks for a reduced salary but the Knicks are ~30M over the cap so even if he told the Knicks he'd play for the vet min they would still be over the cap so it wouldn't give us much more flexibility for next year the exception being the MLE which I think we would have a full MLE of ~5.5M since we would not be paying luxury taxes if he decided he would play for the vet min.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I really don't know how the cap work, for example if Amare agreed to take 2M instead of 12M next year, does that mean that we can sign somebody for 10M if we have roster spot......

Rob Low

Rotation player
Trade everybody except Melo and Hardaway.

Sign Marc Gasol and Lebron James

Hire Jeff Van Gundy

Win the championship every year for the foreseeable future

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
By The way, I just remembered that Melo said he will take a pay cut too if that will make the team better.....will he?

tiger0330

Legend
By The way, I just remembered that Melo said he will take a pay cut too if that will make the team better.....will he?
Melo seemed sincere about taking a pay cut and the big 3 in Miami took pay cuts to allow Riley to put together that team so if Jackson can get Melo to opt in next year and put together a Knicks version of the big 3 in 2015 when we get under the cap I think he will take a pay cut.

Kiyaman

Legend

There's 3 things wrong with that pic ....

1) there's a new BOSS in town
2) La La is not letting Melo opt-out to miss-out on a $23.5M season (Kobe money$$$)
3) I dont see Phil Jax hiring a headcoach that will put Melo in every lineup throughout the game (like Karl & Woodson) to pad Melo stats, or win another scoring title in NY.

paris401

Starter
One site I checked only had Melo as having a player option.

yep... the following year jr and felton have player options... and i'm sure they will opt out, as the line is already forming to sign em to long term contracts... now i'll go back to my bong...