Talent Of Team Being Questioned!!!!!

Broadway

All Star
Phil Jackson was in attendance for the New York Knicks' 127-96 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday.
The Knicks allowed 51 points in the third quarter to a Lakers' team playing without Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant.

?Fifty-one points,? Jackson said. ?When it?s 35 points you start to get worried. When it?s a 51-point quarter, that?s really awful.?

Jackson said he's in assessment mode.

?We?re in a talent hunt,? Jackson said. ?We have to bring in talent.?

One could say Phil means we need more talent but with a roster that has top rotation still on the books next year one can deduce he's not enamored with what we have.

Then again so many of us were boiling over with fury ESPN had our talent pegged at 37-45 before season's begin. Usually TALENT cost money.

I wonder how Phil thinks he's going to turn this roster of stale beer with cigarette ashes and dead flies floating at the top into wine.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is what Phil Jax see on the Knicks .......

offensive-players that dont know a lick of defense, and defensive players looking for a defensive-leader to guide them

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
That Lakers game was as awful as it gets. Woke up at 3 o' clock in the morning to watch it... could have better stayed in my bed getting some sleep.

tiger0330

Legend
That Lakers game was as awful as it gets. Woke up at 3 o' clock in the morning to watch it... could have better stayed in my bed getting some sleep.
You are a real Knick fan. I was up but went to bed near the end of the 3rd qtr found out what I already knew in the morning D'Antoni kicked Woody's ass.

Still not mathematically eliminated and with the ATL loss and Knick win they will tease you with the playoffs until they are eliminated.

petescud

Starter
Looks like Atlanta has the easier schedule to close out 2014....we need to go like 7-1 over the next games...we face the Heat, Brooklyn, Suns, Warriors, Wizards, Raptors and Bulls etc

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, isn't it sad that most of us considered the 37-45 to be lowballing us, and now it seems unlikely that we'll even reach that?

I still have no answers as to how this team could possibly be so bad when they were, at least in the regular season, pretty decent last year.

wian

Benchwarmer
Francessa's thoughts...

+ Pie on his rant

I've been calling for a complete blowtorch for quite some time now

Glad someone has got the balls to say it how it is ! The management needs to get the arse ! Bunch on incompitent imbiciles !

pat

Starter
I still have no answers as to how this team could possibly be so bad when they were, at least in the regular season, pretty decent last year.

Because Dolan was treating the team like a fantasy NBA franchise. Little by little important role players who could do specific things really well were replaced by supposedly more talented players who do not fit into the highly complicated puzzle which is a basketball team.
Look at the Spurs and what they do with players that most likely would not thrive on any other roster. Why? Because their team is well crafted.

paris401

Starter
Look at the Spurs and what they do with players that most likely would not thrive on any other roster. Why? Because their team is well crafted.

the key word is 'team'... ain't no superstars on the spurs (their big 3 are past or passing their prime)... but everyone knows their role... sort of like the old knicks that won the 2 championships... they had no 'superstars' on the roster, but they won playing with the team concept...

and i'm not demeaning clyde/pearl/willis/dave d... they were excellent players...and the proof are their rings... but at the time there were better players at each position then the above on other teams.... but they didn't win... the knicks did... ego's were put aside ...

CoolClyde

^agreed. the talent of "team" as in team basketball is being questioned. As Jackson said in his press conference and more notably in his interview with Clyde Frazier, the concept of offense is a simple one, with the triangle being just one option for team basketball to be implemented. team defense, on the other hand, is based on intensity (defensity) and the sheer will to guard your man, to not let guys be open on the perimeter when they're raining 3's, to put a body on a man when they're driving the middle, and not switch in a flash. The Knicks have been playing pu$$y-ball most of the year, and are being exposed for the lackadaisical loser attitude they have inherited from their coach. the talent hunt will be based on the ability to play team basketball, to play defense, to have a winning attitude, something I have faith in Phil to make happen. after the loss to the Suns last night, i cannot see the Knicks growing the balls needed to make the playoffs at this point. just a serious lack of team talent displayed. smh.

Kiyaman

Legend
Francessa's thoughts...

+ Pie on his rant

I've been calling for a complete blowtorch for quite some time now

The NBA most minute played player Captain Super Star Carmelo Anthony "ISO-Melo system" allowed a D.League Lakers team to score 87 pts in 2 quarters of the game, plus 51 points in a quarter that Melo played all 12 minutes in.

I blame the Knicks 2013-14 poor (21-40) record season on Jeremy Lin, and Jason Kidd.

Without those two PG players we wouldve learned the Knicks BIG-3 are nothing but a TANKING Lottery team by the 2012 offseason, or the 2013 offseason.

If Linsanity never saved our 2011-12 season, we wouldve had a 21-45 record season from our BIG-3 isolation system.
If Jason Kidd wouldve resign with Dallas in 2012-13 season, instead of coming to the Knicks to be our 4th quarter Closer PG, our 54 win season wouldve turn out to be Felton's 54 loss season in 2012-13.

petescud

Starter
The knicks of old were a very good team, without egos....and most importantly, a lot smarter basketball IQ....Barnett and Clyde would constantly find ways to outsmart the better guys (West, Bing, Pearl (when he was on the Bullets etc)...they also played to steal the ball instead of giving away a meaningless foul with like 8 seconds left to close out a qtr. Now we get to the even smarter players. Dave D and Bill Bradley. Smartest fwds in the league at the time. It was a different time in Knick history. The guys that play for us today just arent all in on the team

Kiyaman

Legend
^agreed. the talent of "team" as in team basketball is being questioned. As Jackson said in his press conference and more notably in his interview with Clyde Frazier, the concept of offense is a simple one, with the triangle being just one option for team basketball to be implemented. team defense, on the other hand, is based on intensity (defensity) and the sheer will to guard your man, to not let guys be open on the perimeter when they're raining 3's, to put a body on a man when they're driving the middle, and not switch in a flash. The Knicks have been playing pu$$y-ball most of the year, and are being exposed for the lackadaisical loser attitude they have inherited from their coach. the talent hunt will be based on the ability to play team basketball, to play defense, to have a winning attitude, something I have faith in Phil to make happen. after the loss to the Suns last night, i cannot see the Knicks growing the balls needed to make the playoffs at this point. just a serious lack of team talent displayed. smh.

:agreed:
Individual Talent (Knicks 32-43) -vs- Team Talent (Spurs 58-16)

Where to start .... We do have offensive players, and we do have defensive players.
What we dont have are Team-Offense, or Team-Defense.
Woodsuck!
We dont have a offensive system, plan, or play other than let Melo shoot us in or out the game.
Woodsuck!
We dont have a defensive system, plan, or play to setup oponents weak areas, nor do we have a defense all the players relate to.
Woodsuck!

The Spurs offense is guided by 4 or all 5 players in the lineup.
Headcoach (Pop) have a steady movement lineup on offense, each of the Spurs 5 players know their direction in Pop's steady moving offense. The Spurs offense set great screens and picks for easy baskets.
The Spurs oponents gets no rest on the defensive-end, plus they have to guess each time on defense what Spurs player are going to score.
The Spurs man to man and paint defense, along with their defensive comunication have to be the NBA top #1 team-defense for the past decade.

CoolClyde

^there's no denying them facts, Kiyadude. when you pit the Knicks as a team against the Spurs as a team, there really is no comparison.

Pops>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Woodhead

Kiyaman

Legend
I watch the injury-prone Brooklyn Nets vs the Houston Rockets lastnite ....

HC Kidd gave 9 Nets players 20 or more minutes each in the rotation to beat the Houston Rockets.
Im mentioning a Nets team that started the season playing individual basketball that resulted in a 10-21 record.
The Nets are now playing team-ball on both sides of the court to result in a 40-33 record, while using a 10 to 11 man rotation.
The Nets HC Kidd has done a super job at getting all his players decent playingtime in the past 42 games, which result in a 30-12 run from January to April.

pat

Starter
@Clyde.
Sure enough, but you cannot put all the blame on Woodson. It also is a horrendously badly crafted team and that is because Dolan doesn't understand how to put together players whose styles are compatible, yet he keeps interfering as if this were a fantasy NBA team. I just hope he really plans on handing the keys to the franchise to Phil.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
@Clyde.
Sure enough, but you cannot put all the blame on Woodson. It also is a horrendously badly crafted team and that is because Dolan doesn't understand how to put together players whose styles are compatible, yet he keeps interfering as if this were a fantasy NBA team. I just hope he really plans on handing the keys to the franchise to Phil.

This season is Glen Grunwald & Woodson's mess .... if those two idiots couldnt figure out what this team needed after the Indiana series, and 54 win season then they deserve a one way ticket out of NY.

During the Indiana series, was it the Knicks players or the coaching that loss the series?
Did u see how sloppy the coaching was on the summer league team, it was the same sloppy coaching we had in the preseason games, and the regular season games.

CoolClyde

@Clyde.

i don't think this team is crafted all that badly, as evidence by winning streaks when JR and Shumpert actually contribute. It's the little things, like not calling a timeout that leads to a loss, or putting in your entire 2nd squad that almosts costs the team the victory, or playing the same damn players all the time when they cannot play defense to save their fat ass... and not playing guys like Beno, MWP, Tour'e, Ostridge, Tyler, when they could have contributed, instead instilling lost confidence in their abilities. like not having set plays, instead leaving the game in the hands of iso-Melo, when his statistics for 4Q shooting and game-winning shots are league worst. i used to be a major supporter of coach Wood, but I lost confidence in his abilities to coach seeing how he handled players, substitutions and game-ending situations, and those are all on the coach. Felton, JR, Shumpert, 3 players who could do no wrong under coach's tutelage, whose poor play have cost the Knicks most of their losses, get more run than most players of similar output in the entire league, who should be role players coming off the bench. these are the things i blame on the coach. Accountability, which was Wood Son's calling card when he came into the HC role, has disappeared this season. his fault.

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
The knicks of old were a very good team, without egos....and most importantly, a lot smarter basketball IQ....Barnett and Clyde would constantly find ways to outsmart the better guys (West, Bing, Pearl (when he was on the Bullets etc)...they also played to steal the ball instead of giving away a meaningless foul with like 8 seconds left to close out a qtr. Now we get to the even smarter players. Dave D and Bill Bradley. Smartest fwds in the league at the time. It was a different time in Knick history. The guys that play for us today just arent all in on the team

i was born in 78, wish i could have seen it, i envy you