Possible Roster Moves this off season?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Possible Trade Moves to free cap:

• Andrea Bargnani to Mavericks, Orlando, even Denver...
  • Tyson Chandler to Lakers, Wizards or Trail Blazers could all be options...
  • J.R. Smith to Dallas, Miami, or Phoenix could be options...
  • Raymond Felton to Orlando, Lakers, or void contract(legal issues)...
  • Amare Stoudemire to Bucks(for Larry Sanders), Phoenix, Detroit...

The Knicks could eye these free agents:

SG: Jodie Meeks
SF: Wesley Johnson
C: Chris Kaman
PG: Steve Blake
PF: Pau Gasol

The Knicks should re-sign these free agents:

SF: Earl Clark
PF: Kenyon Martin (Early Bird Rights)
C: Jeremy Tyler (Qualifying Offer)
PG: Toure Murry (Qualifying Offer)

The Knicks could trade for these players:

PG: Chauncey Billups (Detroit)
C: Larry Sanders (Milwaukee)

In the end the 2014-15 Knicks could look like this: (with Melo)

Starter
PG: Billups
SG: Shumpert/Hardaway
SF: Melo
PF: Pau
C: Sanders

Bench
PG: Prigioni/S. Blake
SG: Hardaway/Shumpert/Meeks
SF: Wesley Johnson/Lamar Odom
PF: Kenyon Martin/Earl Clark
C: Jeremy Tyler/Chris Kaman

Wesley Johnson/ Shumpert/ Hardaway < one of these three to be the new 6th man...

The players that would have more than one year on this roster would be:

• Carmelo Anthony (assuming he re-signs with the team)
  • Wesley Johnson
  • Larry Sanders (4yrs $44 M - 11 flat annual)
  • Tim Hardaway (Rookie Contract)
  • Pablo Prigioni

Heading into the 2015 season, the Knicks will have some flexibility to add another contract like Rondo, Love or Aldridge...

Thoughts???
Discuss...

tiger0330

Legend
I hear the Knicks are looking at Ike Diagu again. He had a good pre-season and I thought he should have made the squad over Aldrich but Woody wanted a C to back up Chandler instead. CDR was also on the training camp squad and is getting minutes with the Bobcats after we let him go. Guys that can help are out there, we're restricted by our cap space so Phil has to be creative and scour the world looking for talent.

Did anybody see that Chandler wants out saying he doesn't want to waste another year trying to win a championship with the Knicks. He's a b**ch after taking that money from the Knicks and mouthing off, Cuban had it right by not offering him anything more than a 1 year deal. I hope we can trade him this off-season for Asik and Lin.

Getting anything back for these big contracts that expire this year would give us a boost or would you guys rather let them all expire and make the big splash in 2015. I say get something back for Chandler and Amare if you can rather than lose them for nothing.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
don't really know if P.J. will be able to move most of these absurd contracts but by chance he is able to pawn them off we could have a real turnover this off season...

something like this could work...

Felton, J.R. Smith & Stoudemire to Lakers for:

Pau, Kaman & 2015 1st Round Pick( both Pau & Kaman are free agents so they would have to S&T option)
Pau 2 yr $10 M with Team Option $5 M & Kaman 1 yr $3 M with Team Option $3.13 M

Both Pau & Kaman would be good role options helping P.J. turnover this game plan to the Triangle Playbook...
Pau, I think still has enough juice to be a viable 6th man on our roster...

Tyson to Phoenix for 2014 1st Rd could be an option

Phoenix2014 1st w/ Bargnani to the Bucks for Sanders, Antetokounmpo & Milwaukee's 2015 1st Rd...

Our roster before free agency could look like this:

Prigioni
Shumpert
Hardaway Jr.
Odom
Pau
Sanders
Kaman
Tyler (Qualifying Offer)

Will be able to target a couple of good starters in free agency:

Eric Bledsoe 4 yr $44M???
Greg Monroe 4 yr $44 M???

Have to offer something that we can afford while enough that their origin teams (restricted) won't match...
With Sanders, Bledsoe & Monroe at 4 yr $44 M (essentially $11 M annually) gives the Knicks three viable options moving forward...
Other roster moves before re-signing Melo will allow the team to fill out the roster then go above & beyond the cap on a short term deal for Anthony...

By chance P.J. can get Melo to sign a 3 year deal like this one essentially 2 years $41.5 M (20 & 21.5) w/ P.O. of $23 M leave the team options and give Melo an exit strategy after a couple of years...

To have a starting lineup of:

Bledsoe
Shumpert/Hardaway
Melo
Monroe
Sanders

should be enough of a supporting cast to help Melo finally get over the hump...

and by chance Melo doesn't return the Knicks can utilize both Hardaway & Shumpert in the starting rotation:

Bledsoe
Hardaway Jr.
Shumpert
Monroe
Sanders

6th man: Pau (2yr plus T.O.)

Our bench rotation of:

Prigioni
Hardaway/Shumpert
Odom (1 yr)
Tyler ( Q.O. )
Kaman (1yr plus T.O)

leaves us the ability to grab one year supporting cast

Jodie Meeks???
Wesley Johnson???
Steve Blake???
Earl Clark???

Kiyaman

Legend
I hear the Knicks are looking at Ike Diagu again. He had a good pre-season and I thought he should have made the squad over Aldrich but Woody wanted a C to back up Chandler instead. CDR was also on the training camp squad and is getting minutes with the Bobcats after we let him go. Guys that can help are out there, we're restricted by our cap space so Phil has to be creative and scour the world looking for talent.

Did anybody see that Chandler wants out saying he doesn't want to waste another year trying to win a championship with the Knicks. He's a b**ch after taking that money from the Knicks and mouthing off, Cuban had it right by not offering him anything more than a 1 year deal. I hope we can trade him this off-season for Asik and Lin.

Getting anything back for these big contracts that expire this year would give us a boost or would you guys rather let them all expire and make the big splash in 2015. I say get something back for Chandler and Amare if you can rather than lose them for nothing.

I thought, Cole Aldrich, Ike Diogu, and Tour'e Murry were going to be signed, after the preseason games.
When Chris Smith were sign RED FLAG .. Melo opting-out RED FLAG .. Amare & K-Mart refusing to b injured Red Flag .. Dolan Firing GM Glen Grunwald RED FLAG.
To many RED FLAGS were waving in the Knicks organization before the start of the 2013-14 season.

I believe 65% of the Knicks pitiful 2013-14, 37 win season belong to the Knicks poor coaching-staff.
The other 35% belong to the players, and their most minute played leadership player.
A same-page coaching-staff would have had opposite results from the players, and the team record of a 37-45 being a 45-37 record. The Knicks 2012-13 season had four veteran experience "Old-Heads" in the locker-room, bench, and on the court to give the Knicks a successful 54 win season.

Kiyaman

Legend
First thing first .. BIG PROPS to Phil Jackson for removing the living-dead coaching-staff that hasnt been on the same-page since 1999. The Knicks 15 years of poor seasons were contributed by having a dismantle coaching-staff.

My concern are more on the new coaching-staff Phil Jackson brings in. I'm not worried about the Knicks players, for reasons of Phil Jackson will add a few "Old-Heads" to get the best out of the young players (Lamar Odom).

The Knicks will have a 50 win season in 2014-15, with Carmelo Anthony, or without Carmelo Anthony.
Steve Kerr seems to be the top runner for Knicks head-coaching job, bc Steve Kerr had success as a GM by turning a losing Phoenix Suns team into an exciting contender team with Amare Stoudemire as the Phoenix Suns top scorer.
Phil Jax want his head-coach to have GM influence.

skisloper

Starter
Melo , Tyson and Felton to Houston for an ill fitting D.Howard and J.Lin. ( probably more realistic if you switch Howard with Asik )

Much better shot of Jackson turning MELO into the Kobe/Lebron he could be then Howard into anything then a big baby.......MELO has the skills and needs a mentor....Howard is a cry baby,,,,,,,,,,

As long as Melo takes less money and allows for cap flexibility I am all for signing him. I would never ever say this if Phil Jackson was not on board with his man Kerr running the team and the triangle offense.

With that said I would love to see if Jackson makes a move for Lin to run the triangle. Tyson for Lin I think would be close to working.

Kiyaman

Legend
Much better shot of Jackson turning MELO into the Kobe/Lebron he could be then Howard into anything then a big baby.......MELO has the skills and needs a mentor....Howard is a cry baby,,,,,,,,,,

As long as Melo takes less money and allows for cap flexibility I am all for signing him. I would never ever say this if Phil Jackson was not on board with his man Kerr running the team and the triangle offense.

With that said I would love to see if Jackson makes a move for Lin to run the triangle. Tyson for Lin I think would be close to working.

There's to many reason why Carmelo Anthony is not a Phil Jackson type of player.

Phil Jackson had a young MJ, Pippin, Kobe, Shaq, which he personally taught each of them to improve their defensive-skills better than the previous season. Each season these star players improve on their defensive talent with Phil getting help from teammates, and a long coaching-staff.

Melo's 11 season as his team high-scorer has never showed any type of defensive-skills within those 11 seasons.
Melo's biggest flaw has been his predictable performance, old-habits are hard to change after a 11 seasons.
When a teams star player get on the court to score, and play hard defense his teammates also play hard defense too. Example:
When Jason Kidd played hard defense in a Knicks uniform all his teammates played hard defense, to have a 54 win season, with the 2 top scorers shooting 38% from the fg.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Looking over the Knicks 37-45 record season, the Knicks Phil Jackson has fix half of the Knicks losing problem by firing the entire coaching-staff, the other half of the losing problem were the 48 minute of ISO-Melo system.
Letting Melo walk will fix the other half of the Knicks losing problem.

The complication in fixing the Knicks losing problem lies in Dolan, and Knicks fans who think the Knicks need a selfish scoring star Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks team. Dolan's media sport writers has Knicks fans believing Carmelo Anthony has been the best player on the Knicks the past 3 seasons as if "Linsanity" and "Jason Kidd" team-leadership did not exist. When the Knicks win a game, the media sports writers write "The Melo Knicks won", when the Knicks lose a game everyone is the blame except Melo.
This is considered "Fake Publicity" that does well being use on a small-market Denver team. But doesn't work well on a Big Market Knicks team with a wide variety of Press sports writers that notice the Knicks team shot 79 shot attempts in the loss, with Melo taking 37 of those shot attempts, forcing shots when double or tripple team to get 10 of 13 free throw shots to score 32 points in a Knicks loss.

P.S. The OKC vs Spurs WCF series has the Spurs 2-0 in the series.
The 112 - 77 Spurs win over OKC, make u think twice about whose the real anchor player on the OKC Thunder team???

I would like to see Melo moved and I just read that if the Warriors miss out on Love they are going to target Melo. They would be offering D. Lee and Kay Thompson. I for one would love this deal. I would still also like to move Felton who we all know is gone and Bargnani to Houston for J.Lin. We would be a little weak defensive wise but at least there would be ball movement floor spacing and plenty of shooters.

J.Linn - Pablo - Murry
T.H.J.R. - Shump - ?
K.Thompson -Shump - ?
D.Lee - Amare - Tyler
Tyson - Aldrich - Tyler

Broadway

All Star
I'm not sure why they cut Earl Clark this season to begin with. What did we have to lose by signing him for the rest of the season?

We can go after strictly free agent wise no trades required per say
Andray Blatche
DJ Augustin
Mullens
Terrence Williams
Shelvin Mack
Mike Scott
Omri Casspi
Francisco Garcia
Ramon Sessions

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
I'm not sure why they cut Earl Clark this season to begin with. What did we have to lose by signing him for the rest of the season?

We can go after strictly free agent wise no trades required per say
Andray Blatche
DJ Augustin
Mullens
Terrence Williams
Shelvin Mack
Mike Scott
Omri Casspi
Francisco Garcia
Ramon Sessions

Think Andray Blatche will accept his player option since he is still receiving monies from the Wizards (amnesty)...

Terrence Williams might still have angst against the Knicks for the Funeral style prank the Knicks did against Boston in last year's playoffs...

As for players like Mack, Scott they could be good role players otherwise the Knicks will likely go for players from P.J.'s triangle past...

The reason they didn't re-up the ten day contract for Earl Clark was they brought in Lamar Odom on the two year deal late in the season... Odom might be a trade chip, or could be the start of the transition of the roster to the triangle play book...