Report: Kerr hired by Warriors

tiger0330

Legend
The Warriors actually gave him more years and money than the Knicks, never thought the Knicks would be outbid after plunking down 60M for PJ. Can't blame Kerr, his daughter goes to school in Berkley and his family can fly up to Oakland in an hour during the season.

A coach is overrated anyway and an unproven one like Kerr is even more so. There are a lot of good coaches out there and I hope PJ picks one with experience that he can work with rather than DFish or another rookie head coach.

Broadway

All Star
Remember I pretty much called this...in the 'Woodson Fired" by chronicling and profiling Kerr

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?14447-Mike-Woodson-FIRED-5-days-after-season-end

I didn't disagree with Kerr's philosophy(feeling that's what it would take to win a championship) on the matter but he should have done a better job executing, reshaping the team... to accomplish that. He failed doing so and bailed, in particular when the going got tough looking towards the transition yrs. He knew Sarver was going to [cut back] starting rebuild. His excuse, [he needed to spend more time with his family] yet went right back into broadcasting...

Kerr has some red flags

EDIT: Misheard.....Kerr wasn't ready to coach at that time(Seattle Group purchase of Kings) but apparently he must have left the door open because Phil is interested in peaking his interest again.

Steve Kerr met with Phil Jackson on Friday and officially discussed the New York Knicks' head coaching vacancy.

“We talked about the coaching position and we’ll keep talking,” Kerr said on Sunday. “I’ve made it pretty clear [the past couple of years] that I’d like to get into coaching, and now it’s sort of out there. It’s like anything else, you have to explore it and that’s what we’re doing."

Kerr is in New York to call the Brooklyn Nets-Toronto Raptors game Sunday and added the two sides will maintain discussions.

Kerr and Jackson also spoke over the phone on Saturday.

“It’s the only reason I’m talking to them, I wouldn’t have known anybody else in the Knicks’ organization,” Kerr said. “The fact that Phil took this job was the connection. Of course, he was my coach and I have a ton of respect for him. And I’m honored that he’s talking to me about the job. We covered a lot of ground and there’s a lot to discuss with a job like this on both ends.

“It’s the Knicks and it’s Phil Jackson, my coach. So I’d be crazy not to look into it. We’ll further the conversation on both sides. But meanwhile I’m really busy with my own (broadcasting) job."

So let's do the math Steve.....You left the Suns in 2010 because you said you wanted to spend more time with your family although Sarver asked you to [take a paycut] and you knew the Suns/Nash championship window closed and [rebuilding was on the horizon].

But you stated above after talking with Phil you've wanted to coach for the past couple of yrs. Well from 2013-2014 - 2yrs comes to 2011-2012. So you only wanted to spend time with your family for 1yr?

lol @ Kerr

I won't be disappointed at all if he doesn't get hired and will be skeptical as heck if he does

X
X
X
X
X

So what does he do to us, he spurns us with his some ole bs

Here's what he said...

Steve Kerr's explanation of why he didn't take the Knicks job: "I think they're going to turn it around, [but it's going to be a big undertaking and it's going to take time]. [The idea of doing that 3,000 miles from home], it just didn't feel right."

But here's what gave him away if you look at the first sets of quotes one of the key statements he made was, "he's only talking to us because of Phil".... that spells red flag from the jump because it clearly shows he's not that interested coaching in New York for New York. Also he used the same lame excuse an out which was family, although San Diego is approx 500 miles from Frisco. The last time I checked at least 40% of the Warriors schedule will consist of making long East Coat trips on the road, at least 4 of them to New York. alone. But here's the clincher his true motives were revealed by him and Tannenbaum.

We initially offered a 3yr deal probably $12-15mil and we begin to hear reports by Wojo leaked and others that....

"The Knicks are trying to treat Kerr more like a 1st yr coach instead of a seasoned winner like Pop and Doc Rivers"

"Steve is reportedly looking for a contract similar to Mike D'Antoni when he was in New York 4yrs $24mil and to match up with Phil's years, he'd prefer a 5yr $30mil deal"

"Knicks are okay letting Kerr fulfill his TNT duties calling playoff games, they'll wait"

"Tannenbaum says....Steve's a thoughtful guy but he's weighing all of his options"

"Knicks improve their offer to Kerr"

Detroit locks up SVG and all of a sudden the Warriors are hot on the trail meeting Kerr in OKC. Right after they meet he says he'll accept but wait what did he get offered....?

THAT'S RIGHT 5yrs $25mil

Kerr wanted his money and he didn't want to take on a tough challenge in helping turn things around here. I'm not hating on him looking at this in a vacuum but what I do find comical Kerr turns out to be just like most people.

Can we say Phil got worked over something miserably by this clown? See this is why we can't always put too much stock in what someone has accomplished in the past especially when they are crossing professions. Phil has a zero slate history and is much a first time GM as Steve Kerr will be a first time coach.

GMing/POing is not the same as coaching. Phil received just a small taste of what's to come. Wait until he starts trying to make deals with teams. He better bring in someone like Tom Penn(former Blazer's capologist), possibly Keke(although he has a big gig with the NBA operations) etc etc...I'd prefer someone who's a little younger yet has experience) or else he's going to get bludgeoned to death trying to make things happen here. Hopefully Phil's plan B turns out better than his plan A but by my account he is not in any way impressing me with his first couple moves.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Only guy on that NY Post list I like is PJ himself. PJ should take a page out of SVG's book and be president of of bball ops while coaching the team.

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
at the very least this dosent make the dolan PJ tagteam look very good. And how does this look in Melos eyes? FYI i am a melo supporter

point is PJ couldnt even get his "good friend" on board, how is he going to work his "magic" on players?

Broadway

All Star
at the very least this dosent make the dolan PJ tagteam look very good. And how does this look in Melos eyes? FYI i am a melo supporter

point is PJ couldnt even get his "good friend" on board, how is he going to work his "magic" on players?

Melo is of no real concern to me but the rest of what you said is an echo of what I touched on my first reply in this thread.

Early scuttlebutt is Melo wants Mark Jackson in New York.

It's going to be kind of odd for Phil especially when it comes to the coaching....I mean didn't he have dinner with Melo..... Phil all but saying he's going to hire Kerr? Geeeeeezzzz not a good look Phil really not a good look at all. Not to mention whoever was a remote Plan B, C, D-Z option should have been touched down before Kerr made a decision to go to GS. Wants Melo to take a paycut but upped our final offer to Kerr which essentially was the same money per/yr as GS' offer?

My advice to Phil don't have any candle light dinners with anyone over who you're potentially bringing to the bench, keep everything close to the vest.

Phil's moves/non moves....

- Signed Crack Head Odom

- Whiffed on signing Kerr

Come on $60mil better produce far greater results

Broadway

All Star
According to Marc Stein of ESPN

The New York Knicks will likely pursue a young head coach that Phil Jackson has previously worked with and whom he can mentor following Steve Kerr's decision to accept the Golden State Warriors' head coaching position.

Tyronn Lue, Derek Fisher, Luke Walton and Mark Madsen have been mentioned as possibilities.

The Knicks could also go a member of Jackson's coaching tree that has previous head coaching experience in Kurt Rambis or Brian Shaw.

Shaw was Jackson's longtime preferred successor with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Please don't bring in Shaw if he has greatness within..... the Nuggets would have been running the Triangle(system is proven right), they don't. So we'd clearly know he'd be the Puppet of Puppets here. Not sure he got the most out of the team in Denver injuries withstanding as maybe Karl could have. He also shat on the aged vet Richard Pryor and banned him from the team early on, I can only imagine what potential clashes he'd have here with our cast of characters.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
is odom officially signed?

Your question will be answered when the Knicks summer league games start, and Odom is true to his rehabilitation to be the player/coach on the Knicks summer league team. Odom has always been a true NBA Point-Forward, from High School to the NBA.
Dont sleep on Odom skills

tiger0330

Legend
Your question will be answered when the Knicks summer league games start, and Odom is true to his rehabilitation to be the player/coach on the Knicks summer league team. Odom has always been a true NBA Point-Forward, from High School to the NBA.
Good players skills eventually deteriorate, the fact that Odom has had drug problems makes it more likely he is done.

It's no risk for the Knicks since his contract is not guaranteed for next season but if Ike Diagu could not make the Knicks squad the last off-season I don't expect Odom to. His play was awful the last couple of years.

Broadway

All Star

Odom will be 35 by the time the season gets underway...Skills Rendered Diminished