Should we/ Will we????? Shump to OKC for the 21st pick

petescud

Starter
Shump may be one of the first players dealt. Its a shame he is inconsistant offensively. He did several bonehead plays that cost games this year...mostly fouls...he also caused a few T/O's that gave us an extra pocession. Phil must feel he doesn't fit in to the Triangle or we have no other ways to get a first rounder without giving THJ away. Whats your take

tiger0330

Legend
I read it was the 29th pick the Thunder wanted to deal for Shump, 21-29 would be a gamble to see if it nets you anyone better than Shump so unless the Thunder gave us Jeremy Lamb I would pass on the deal.

Shump came on at the end of the season and he's a tenacious defender but like you said he was inconsistent and most were disappointed in his development last season. I would look to deal him but it's got to be for more than a low first round pick because he still has potential.

Kiyaman

Legend
Shump will be playing for a (2 to 6 year) contract next season.

The Shump decision is easy, if Phil keeps Melo then trade Shump.
If Phil gets rid of Melo, then Shump stays.

Shump is a 6th man off the bench.
THJ is a 9th or 10th man off the bench.

Melo or Amare, one will be traded in offseason, they are not compatible.

Broadway

All Star
There were reports post hiring.... Phil was "calling shots stealth mode" back late December early January til season's end.

Begs to question...

Why didn't we get a deal done for Shump?

Why didn't we get a deal done for Lowry?

If the mandate was Playoffs. We still don't have a Coach...we still don't have a GM.

Now we're considering revisiting OKC's offer for Shump? I mean how many times are we gonna deny ourselves trading this clown?

To answer your question back in short....YES erase him, he never was that good. Heck he hasn't proven to be anywhere close to Gallo and Chandler when they were Knicks(throw Nate in there as well) and we know the lack of patience this fan base had for them. This fan base is treating Shumpert as if he's Top 5 Lottery Talent get real.

Broadway

All Star
Also there were reports post hiring Phil was "high on Shump"(that's why he wasn't traded)...rolling eyes

Is this code for Shump you're getting traded, first Lamar Odom's(CRACK)-chance......trump up his value fake hustle style?

Broadway

All Star
I read it was the 29th pick the Thunder wanted to deal for Shump, 21-29 would be a gamble to see if it nets you anyone better than Shump so unless the Thunder gave us Jeremy Lamb I would pass on the deal.

Shump came on at the end of the season and he's a tenacious defender but like you said he was inconsistent and most were disappointed in his development last season. I would look to deal him but it's got to be for more than a low first round pick because he still has potential.

WRONG

You do that deal 100000000000000000 times out of 10. Ask yourself has Shumpert played better than his 17th pick draft selection. The answer is unequivocally NO! He's also about to be a restricted free agent assuming we extend a QO to him next summer. If not we lose him for nothing. If we do..... do you want his RFA cap hit on the books summer of 2015? I think not

What I would ask for in addition to the 29th pick because they'll want to keep Dallas' 21 pick is a future second rounder, preferably 2015. I'd send Shump and cash for Pick 29 2014 and most likely Pick 59 2015. But even if Presti refuses to budge at the end of the day Shump is gone for the 29th pick.

Broadway

All Star
Shump will be playing for a (2 to 6 year) contract next season.

The Shump decision is easy, if Phil keeps Melo then trade Shump.
If Phil gets rid of Melo, then Shump stays.

Shump is a 6th man off the bench.
THJ is a 9th or 10th man off the bench.

Melo or Amare, one will be traded in offseason, they are not compatible.

There are no more 6yr NBA contracts. Max length is 5yrs.

tiger0330

Legend
WRONG

You do that deal 100000000000000000 times out of 10. Ask yourself has Shumpert played better than his 17th pick draft selection. The answer is unequivocally NO! He's also about to be a restricted free agent assuming we extend a QO to him next summer. If not we lose him for nothing. If we do..... do you want his RFA cap hit on the books summer of 2015? I think not

What I would ask for in addition to the 29th pick because they'll want to keep Dallas' 21 pick is a future second rounder, preferably 2015. I'd send Shump and cash for Pick 29 2014 and most likely Pick 59 2015. But even if Presti refuses to budge at the end of the day Shump is gone for the 29th pick.
Just to clarify the Knicks hold a team option for his 4th year as in all rookie contracts. If the Knicks don't pick up the option this summer he becomes a restricted FA this summer and the Knicks can match any offer and keep him which would affect cap space in 2015.

I don't see the Knicks going that route, I see them picking up his option this summer and letting him become an unrestricted FA, whether they want to pick him up when he becomes an unrestricted FA next year will depend how much he progresses from a somewhat disappointing season. Dealing him for filler and a 29th pick is still a non-starter to me but gets slanted to a possible deal if you can get both a 1st and 2nd pick for him this year. OKC may want to do that deal since they will be losing Sefalosha this year and could use a wing defender like Shump to replace him.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I want him to get a shot one more season. Last season was a disappointment, but his first two seasons showed a lot of potential. This season was a disaster. I want to see if he'll get back on track with new leadership. It's not all Woodson's fault, but the team was a disaster.

tiger0330

Legend
They have pick up his option by June 30, I don't expect they'll trade him by the draft but if they do it will be in a package with Felton imo.

Broadway

All Star
Just to clarify the Knicks hold a team option for his 4th year as in all rookie contracts. If the Knicks don't pick up the option this summer he becomes a restricted FA this summer and the Knicks can match any offer and keep him which would affect cap space in 2015.

I don't see the Knicks going that route, I see them picking up his option this summer and letting him become an unrestricted FA, whether they want to pick him up when he becomes an unrestricted FA next year will depend how much he progresses from a somewhat disappointing season. Dealing him for filler and a 29th pick is still a non-starter to me but gets slanted to a possible deal if you can get both a 1st and 2nd pick for him this year. OKC may want to do that deal since they will be losing Sefalosha this year and could use a wing defender like Shump to replace him.

Shumpert is on the books this yr for $2.7mil.....

Options Goes as Follows

We can offer him an extension by October which would kick in next year<--------(I don't see his camp accepting unless the offer is lucrative)

Trade him this summer or wait until Dec 15 to the February deadline

Can't be trade at season's end

We can then extend him the QO next June to retain FROR....if done, we take a cap hit at 250% previous season salary so....$2.7mil x 250% comes to a July 2015 Cap Hit of $6.75mil

Not extend the QO(essentially renouncing him) and he becomes a UFA lose him for nothing in July 2015

Try to beg him to play for his QO salary(a la David Lee Nate Robinson style) $3.9mil come 2015<--------(I don't see his camp accepting)

Especially since Phil didn't take a paycut....Derek Fisher didn't take a paycut....Melo most likely won't take a paycut(nothing significantly noticeable) and this will be Shumpert's first opportunity at a big pay day. Coming from a guy who knows what it's like to blow your knee out.

Smart money says trade him first chance this summer best offer on the table. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for multiple second draft picks if possible, particularly in this hella deep draft.

Broadway

All Star
One last thing....

I hate making decisions on players based on contract yrs. I mean we went through this with David Lee, Nate, Felton, Novak, Lin, J.R. Smith, Pablo, Melo, and we have multiple players on this team this year outside of Shumpert who need to keep eating. Sorry there's no need to compound problems, with more problems.

tiger0330

Legend
Shumpert is on the books this yr for $2.7mil.....

Options Goes as Follows

We can offer him an extension by October which would kick in next year<--------(I don't see his camp accepting unless the offer is lucrative)

Trade him this summer or wait until Dec 15 to the February deadline

Can't be trade at season's end

We can then extend him the QO next June to retain FROR....if done, we take a cap hit at 250% previous season salary so....$2.7mil x 250% comes to a July 2015 Cap Hit of $6.75mil

Not extend the QO(essentially renouncing him) and he becomes a UFA lose him for nothing in July 2015

Try to beg him to play for his QO salary(a la David Lee Nate Robinson style) $3.9mil come 2015<--------(I don't see his camp accepting)

Especially since Phil didn't take a paycut....Derek Fisher didn't take a paycut....Melo most likely won't take a paycut(nothing significantly noticeable) and this will be Shumpert's first opportunity at a big pay day. Coming from a guy who knows what it's like to blow your knee out.

Smart money says trade him first chance this summer best offer on the table. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for multiple second draft picks if possible, particularly in this hella deep draft.
I stand corrected 3G4G. This CBA stuff is complex and fascinating, looks like the Knicks already picked up his 4th year option before Oct. 31 2013 and like you say according to Larry Coons website Shumps qualifying offer after next season will be ~3.7M based on a 42% raise for a 17th selection 1st rounder. I guess you trade him here if you think Shump isn't in the long term plans for the Knicks, I would say he isn't based on last season and his knee problems and whether you can get equal value for him, I just think filler plus a low first rounder or even two 2nd rounders is not good value for him.

Teams have until the October 31[SUP]2[/SUP] preceding the player's second regular season to exercise their option for the player's third season. Likewise, they have until the October 31[SUP]2[/SUP] preceding the player's third regular season to exercise their option for the player's fourth season.

In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player between the day following the last game of the NBA Finals and June 30.

Kiyaman

Legend
WRONG

I can bet, nine out of ten our new head-coach Derek Fisher will keep Shump this season.
Shump's a transition player Fisher will use in many ways in the backcourt.
The Knicks havnt played uptempo-transition basketball since Lin-sanity, and Nate Robinson.

Paul1355

All Star
Shump may be one of the first players dealt. Its a shame he is inconsistant offensively. He did several bonehead plays that cost games this year...mostly fouls...he also caused a few T/O's that gave us an extra pocession. Phil must feel he doesn't fit in to the Triangle or we have no other ways to get a first rounder without giving THJ away. Whats your take
I think Shump can def improve but what we saw was pretty revealing. He has the ability to come through in big time spots but his inconsistency makes him someone we cannot rely on. He hurt us more than helped us and his offense was so bad at times that he should have not played. Yes, he can rebound and play some hard nosed defense but he did not play smart. We need high IQ players and the triangle demands high IQ players which Shumpert doesn't have. He is also injury prone and is a head-case. He has a bad attitude and thinks he is better than he really is. Let him blossom somewhere else...we need picks and wouldn't mind trading him for a 1st round pick. We need to get rid of the cancer locker room guys like SHump