Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: J.R. Smith next season

  1. #1
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,031
    Rep Power
    16

    Default J.R. Smith next season

    If he stays for the entire next season, do you see him having another season like 2012-2013 (hopefully minus another elbow in the Playoffs)?

    I give Woody credit for helping J.R. and giving him a shot as he's very talented, but eventually Woody became biased and let J.R. do whatever he wanted until he might have been pressured to sit him a game or two (the results showed he should have done long before he did).

    Without Woodson, does J.R. go back to his old ways, does Phil and Fisher bring something different that he's never experienced, will J.R. have his best season?

    J.R. had a very good/great end to the season, but it was very tough to get into the Playoffs at that point (sadly, because the Knicks could have brought it in the Playoffs if they continued on the track they were going).

    Some of the things J.R. has done has been bad, but I like him, and he doesn't have a big contract. He showed he can play a lot of team ball, I wonder if the new regime can take his game to another level, and consistently. What I like about J.R. when he gets hot is that his scoring doesn't slow down the game. If he could combine that with consistent team ball, he'd be a superstar. He's not one of the cases where people say a player has to do this and that to become at a certain level, J.R. has shown it might be just a mindset rather than needing to work on talents. As long as he continues to work hard off the court, which I haven't heard he doesn't, and has a consistent mindset and focus then he could at least become an All-Star.

    One of the things that boggles my mind is that he's one of the toughest players to stop attacking the basket, yet shoots way too many threes.
    Last edited by RunningJumper; Jun 10, 2014 at 13:32.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,678
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    If he stays for the entire next season, do you see him having another season like 2012-2013 (hopefully minus another elbow in the Playoffs)?

    I give Woody credit for helping J.R. and giving him a shot as he's very talented, but eventually Woody became biased and let J.R. do whatever he wanted until he might have been pressured to sit him a game or two (the results showed he should have done long before he did).

    Without Woodson, does J.R. go back to his old ways, does Phil and Fisher bring something different that he's never experienced, will J.R. have his best season?

    J.R. had a very good/great end to the season, but it was very tough to get into the Playoffs at that point (sadly, because the Knicks could have brought it in the Playoffs if they continued on the track they were going).

    Some of the things J.R. has done has been bad, but I like him, and he doesn't have a big contract. He showed he can play a lot of team ball, I wonder if the new regime can take his game to another level, and consistently. What I like about J.R. when he gets hot is that his scoring doesn't slow down the game. If he could combine that with consistent team ball, he'd be a superstar. He's not one of the cases where people say a player has to do this and that to become at a certain level, J.R. has shown it might be just a mindset rather than needing to work on talents. As long as he continues to work hard off the court, which I haven't heard he doesn't, and has a consistent mindset and focus then he could at least become an All-Star.

    One of the things that boggles my mind is that he's one of the toughest players to stop attacking the basket, yet shoots way too many threes.

    He is a LOSER. No quality coach or real basketball organization would ever tolerate the crap that JR pulls....Do not look at the numbers look at how he conducts himself and how he is as a team mate..........Fisher will tolerate ZERO......Thats why I love Jackson make his people run this Knicks team.......

  3. #3
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    870
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by skisloper
    He is a LOSER. No quality coach or real basketball organization would ever tolerate the crap that JR pulls....Do not look at the numbers look at how he conducts himself and how he is as a team mate..........Fisher will tolerate ZERO......Thats why I love Jackson make his people run this Knicks team.......

    You mean stuff like this at 2:30a.m.?

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Nope no more bench for me!! RT [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] getting 6th man this coming season, mark my words

    I have never seen any fan base such as ours hold out hope for the losers we have. It's simply mind boggling

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,753
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    jr is a joke.. and the bigger laugh is us having him on the team... if the goal is to get deep into the playoffs n win a championship, u will never do that with a jr smith on your roster...

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,794
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I'd rather get rid of Felton, don't think PJ told JR "We're going to trade you" like he told Felton. Supposedly he's going to cop a plea with no jail time on that gun charge so unless he's traded he'll be playing for the Knicks next year.

  6. #6
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Only time will tell, but JR and Felton are goners. As is Chandler imo. Phil is not a fan of most of our players, so in 2 years we will have less then 10% of this roster

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Actually Phil is perfect to "fix" JR. Think Dennis Rodman....

  8. #8
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I don't know if Phil intends to fix JR or not if he can cool but JR would be the most immature player Phil's dealt with possibly ever.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,188
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Yeah, trying to trade JR in the offseason will take to much energy.
    JR.smith will be a 24 minute role-player under the helm of coach-Fisher next season.
    I see JR having a real-decent season for Phil Jax

  10. #10
    ★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax,Virgina
    Posts
    911
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    21ppg 5rb 3.5 assist

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,753
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Actually Phil is perfect to "fix" JR. Think Dennis Rodman....
    rodman was/is a head case...BUT... when he was on the court he was all business... and he always came to play... can't say the same for jr

  12. #12
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    JR needs to know that there are limits and walls. He can't just go out there and throw up 15 three point shots. Fisher should be able to get more out of him than Woodson did because Woodson did not give JR walls. JR had too much freedom and it helps in the beginning, as we saw him being 6th man, but then when he was struggling Woodson did not discipline him by benching him enough (ever). JR would do well in the triangle but honestly i wouldn't mind him being moved. However, we might be able to get him to buy in and play well. In system basketball all of these players can improve their game.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,188
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4Life_1985
    21ppg 5rb 3.5 assist
    Under coach Fisher, JR's minutes of playing-time a game will be reduce to the same playing-time coach Karl gave JR on Denver Nuggets, 26 to 24 minutes per game.
    JR will be averaging 6 to 8 shots per game.
    Phil Jax will put pressure on JR to find a passing-game, and average over 2 assist per game.

    P.S.
    I thought JRsmith career in the NBA was over after he pulled that stunt in China in 2011.
    Did the Knicks need to sign a walking FA JRsmith in the middle of the 2011-12 season? NO!
    Linsanity & Shump were on a winning-streak role, until ISO-JRsmith were added to their rotation.
    Who idea was it to sign JRsmith to the Knicks during the 2011-12 season???

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,787
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by paris401
    rodman was/is a head case...BUT... when he was on the court he was all business... and he always came to play... can't say the same for jr
    You nailed the difference between these two players here. Rodman was a rebounding machine and brutally tough defender, perfect roles for a head case. JR is a long distance chucker who should be driving to the hoop, worst case scenario for a head case. I still believe JR can either be a nice asset as a trade piece or 6th man, but man, most days he is not worth the effort unfortunately.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,188
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by 3G4G
    You mean stuff like this at 2:30a.m.?

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    I have never seen any fan base such as ours hold out hope for the losers we have. It's simply mind boggling


    I'm sure the majority of this forum knew JRsmith were a loser when JR couldn't mix well in the backcourt with teammate CP3.
    Grunwald gave JRsmith a 4 yr contract.
    We need JR to have a decent season to be able to trade him.

Similar Threads

  1. JR Smith
    By BachaCho in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb 19, 2012, 18:36
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: Feb 10, 2012, 12:55
  3. JR smith
    By knickerbocka176 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 08, 2012, 16:29
  4. Jr smith
    By jrdrny in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 20, 2012, 15:51
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2008, 16:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •