J.R. Smith next season

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If he stays for the entire next season, do you see him having another season like 2012-2013 (hopefully minus another elbow in the Playoffs)?

I give Woody credit for helping J.R. and giving him a shot as he's very talented, but eventually Woody became biased and let J.R. do whatever he wanted until he might have been pressured to sit him a game or two (the results showed he should have done long before he did).

Without Woodson, does J.R. go back to his old ways, does Phil and Fisher bring something different that he's never experienced, will J.R. have his best season?

J.R. had a very good/great end to the season, but it was very tough to get into the Playoffs at that point (sadly, because the Knicks could have brought it in the Playoffs if they continued on the track they were going).

Some of the things J.R. has done has been bad, but I like him, and he doesn't have a big contract. He showed he can play a lot of team ball, I wonder if the new regime can take his game to another level, and consistently. What I like about J.R. when he gets hot is that his scoring doesn't slow down the game. If he could combine that with consistent team ball, he'd be a superstar. He's not one of the cases where people say a player has to do this and that to become at a certain level, J.R. has shown it might be just a mindset rather than needing to work on talents. As long as he continues to work hard off the court, which I haven't heard he doesn't, and has a consistent mindset and focus then he could at least become an All-Star.

One of the things that boggles my mind is that he's one of the toughest players to stop attacking the basket, yet shoots way too many threes.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
If he stays for the entire next season, do you see him having another season like 2012-2013 (hopefully minus another elbow in the Playoffs)?

I give Woody credit for helping J.R. and giving him a shot as he's very talented, but eventually Woody became biased and let J.R. do whatever he wanted until he might have been pressured to sit him a game or two (the results showed he should have done long before he did).

Without Woodson, does J.R. go back to his old ways, does Phil and Fisher bring something different that he's never experienced, will J.R. have his best season?

J.R. had a very good/great end to the season, but it was very tough to get into the Playoffs at that point (sadly, because the Knicks could have brought it in the Playoffs if they continued on the track they were going).

Some of the things J.R. has done has been bad, but I like him, and he doesn't have a big contract. He showed he can play a lot of team ball, I wonder if the new regime can take his game to another level, and consistently. What I like about J.R. when he gets hot is that his scoring doesn't slow down the game. If he could combine that with consistent team ball, he'd be a superstar. He's not one of the cases where people say a player has to do this and that to become at a certain level, J.R. has shown it might be just a mindset rather than needing to work on talents. As long as he continues to work hard off the court, which I haven't heard he doesn't, and has a consistent mindset and focus then he could at least become an All-Star.

One of the things that boggles my mind is that he's one of the toughest players to stop attacking the basket, yet shoots way too many threes.

He is a LOSER. No quality coach or real basketball organization would ever tolerate the crap that JR pulls....Do not look at the numbers look at how he conducts himself and how he is as a team mate..........Fisher will tolerate ZERO......Thats why I love Jackson make his people run this Knicks team.......

Broadway

All Star
He is a LOSER. No quality coach or real basketball organization would ever tolerate the crap that JR pulls....Do not look at the numbers look at how he conducts himself and how he is as a team mate..........Fisher will tolerate ZERO......Thats why I love Jackson make his people run this Knicks team.......

You mean stuff like this at 2:30a.m.?

https://twitter.com/TheRealJRSmith/status/476262595830116352

Nope no more bench for me!! RT @Stangg_ @TheRealJRSmith getting 6th man this coming season, mark my words

I have never seen any fan base such as ours hold out hope for the losers we have. It's simply mind boggling

paris401

Starter
jr is a joke.. and the bigger laugh is us having him on the team... if the goal is to get deep into the playoffs n win a championship, u will never do that with a jr smith on your roster...

tiger0330

Legend
I'd rather get rid of Felton, don't think PJ told JR "We're going to trade you" like he told Felton. Supposedly he's going to cop a plea with no jail time on that gun charge so unless he's traded he'll be playing for the Knicks next year.

petescud

Starter
Only time will tell, but JR and Felton are goners. As is Chandler imo. Phil is not a fan of most of our players, so in 2 years we will have less then 10% of this roster

Wargames

Starter
I don't know if Phil intends to fix JR or not if he can cool but JR would be the most immature player Phil's dealt with possibly ever.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yeah, trying to trade JR in the offseason will take to much energy.
JR.smith will be a 24 minute role-player under the helm of coach-Fisher next season.
I see JR having a real-decent season for Phil Jax

Paul1355

All Star
JR needs to know that there are limits and walls. He can't just go out there and throw up 15 three point shots. Fisher should be able to get more out of him than Woodson did because Woodson did not give JR walls. JR had too much freedom and it helps in the beginning, as we saw him being 6th man, but then when he was struggling Woodson did not discipline him by benching him enough (ever). JR would do well in the triangle but honestly i wouldn't mind him being moved. However, we might be able to get him to buy in and play well. In system basketball all of these players can improve their game.

Kiyaman

Legend
21ppg 5rb 3.5 assist

Under coach Fisher, JR's minutes of playing-time a game will be reduce to the same playing-time coach Karl gave JR on Denver Nuggets, 26 to 24 minutes per game.
JR will be averaging 6 to 8 shots per game.
Phil Jax will put pressure on JR to find a passing-game, and average over 2 assist per game.

P.S.
I thought JRsmith career in the NBA was over after he pulled that stunt in China in 2011.
Did the Knicks need to sign a walking FA JRsmith in the middle of the 2011-12 season? NO!
Linsanity & Shump were on a winning-streak role, until ISO-JRsmith were added to their rotation.
Who idea was it to sign JRsmith to the Knicks during the 2011-12 season???

rodman was/is a head case...BUT... when he was on the court he was all business... and he always came to play... can't say the same for jr

You nailed the difference between these two players here. Rodman was a rebounding machine and brutally tough defender, perfect roles for a head case. JR is a long distance chucker who should be driving to the hoop, worst case scenario for a head case. I still believe JR can either be a nice asset as a trade piece or 6th man, but man, most days he is not worth the effort unfortunately.