Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: There's a new Sheriff in town

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,910
    Rep Power
    15

    Default There's a new Sheriff in town

    I thought this article in the NY Times was the best article I've read about Phil. Telling the players "We're on the move", trying to get draft picks in deals rather than giving them away and he's not going to blindly give every Tom, Dick and Harry like Starbury a max contract like all the other GM's we've had around here.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Knicks Draft Cleanthony Early of Wichita State

    By SCOTT CACCIOLAJUNE 26, 2014



    Photo
    Cleanthony Early, left, averaged 16.3 points and 6 rebounds a game as a senior. Credit Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images



    GREENBURGH, N.Y. — Draft night has not always been kind to the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Not that anyone needs reminding, but there have been missteps over the years, including the selections of projects. Renaldo Balkman, anyone?
    Mostly, though, the team’s draft problems have involved the oodles of picks the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] were never able to use in the first place because they had traded them away.
    The Knicks were able to work their way back into Thursday’s draft because of a trade Wednesday with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that netted the Knicks a pair of second-round picks, the 34th and 51st over all. The Knicks’ original 2014 picks were long gone by then, a result of aging deals involving Carmelo Anthony and Marcus Camby.

    In other words, Thursday seemed to be the start of something different. Under Phil Jackson, the team’s president, the Knicks finally appeared committed to collecting assets rather than giving them away, determined to build for the future rather than mortgage it. At least that was the hope among those invested in the team’s fortunes.
    Photo
    Samuel Dalembert, right, with Dallas last season, is a defense-minded center the Knicks acquired in a trade Wednesday. Credit Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

    “We want to send a message to all of our players that we’re on the move,” Jackson said at the team’s training center.
    With the 34th pick, the Knicks selected Cleanthony Early, a 6-foot-7 forward from Wichita State. Early, a high-energy scorer, averaged 16.3 points and 6 rebounds a game as a senior. In a narrow loss to Kentucky in the N.C.A.A. tournament, he scored 31 points while shooting 12 of 17 from the field.
    At No. 51, the Knicks took Thanasis Antetokounmpo, a 6-foot-6 forward and the older brother of the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo. Thanasis spent last season with the Delaware 87ers of the Development League. The Knicks also acquired the 57th pick from the Indiana Pacers and selected Louis Labeyrie, a center from France.
    As with anything involving the Knicks these days, the night’s festivities were viewed through the prism of Anthony’s impending free agency, and Jackson fielded several questions about him. Yes, Jackson wants Anthony to re-sign with the team. No, Jackson does not expect to meet with him again before he makes his choice. Yes, Jackson still wants him to take less money.
    “He’s the one who opened that up — that it wasn’t about the money,” Jackson said. “So I challenged him about that because I wanted our fans to see that he’s a team player, that he was going to do what was best for this team to get ahead farther and faster.”

    The Knicks, according to the collective bargaining agreement, can offer Anthony the most lucrative contract: $129 million over five years. The most that other teams can offer is $96 million over four years. But it was more apparent than ever that Jackson would be reluctant to break the bank for Anthony. Given the league’s salary-cap restrictions, Jackson said, maximum contracts make it difficult to build a championship contender.
    “It puts limitations on a team,” he said, adding, “We have every confidence that Carmelo’s good for what his word is, that he wants to be in New York, that he likes to play in New York and wants to be a part of a playoff team that’s competitive for a championship.”
    How soon that becomes more than a remote fantasy is unclear, although Jackson sounded optimistic that the team had taken a first step thanks to its trade with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. In exchange for Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton, the Knicks acquired Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Shane Larkin, Wayne Ellington and the two picks.
    Jackson said he expected that Calderon, a veteran point guard, would be an excellent fit in the triangle offense. Jackson also praised Dalembert as a defense-minded center capable of replacing Chandler at that end of the floor. Jackson said he was motivated to make the deal based on what he had seen over the final weeks of the regular season.
    “We had to change some of the chemistry on this team,” he said. “I saw guys that really looked at each other like, ‘You didn’t back me up; you weren’t here when I needed help.’ There just wasn’t the right combination or feel where everybody was in sync all the time.”
    Last season was a disaster for the Knicks, who tumbled out of playoff contention. Chandler was sometimes critical of Mike Woodson, who was then the team’s coach, and Felton labored with injuries and off-the-court issues. On Monday, Felton agreed to plead guilty to a felony gun possession charge as a way of avoiding jail time.
    Jackson met with Anthony in Los Angeles this month along with Derek Fisher, the team’s new coach, and General Manager Steve Mills. Jackson said he informed Anthony of the deal that was in the works with Dallas, but he was careful to say that he did not seek Anthony’s approval.

    “I wouldn’t use the word ‘consulted,’ ” Jackson said, adding, “He saw the value in it and was appreciative of it.”
    More than 50 prospects worked out for the Knicks ahead of the draft. The team, Jackson said, had done its homework. He indicated that there could be additional moves, although he reiterated that it would be hard for the Knicks to be major players on the free-agent market.
    “We have many handicaps, obviously, with our salary cap being what it is,” Jackson said. “But there’s always a possibility. We’re not going to rule ourselves out of any gambit that gives us a chance to do something really special.”

  2. #2
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,498
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    great article, utmost respect for PJ, who is living up to his word towards building a contender, challenging Melo to stick to his word to take less money to stay in NY and be a part of an MSG playoff team. I also like that Phil addressed Calderon as being essential to the triangle, and Dalembert being a defensive cog in the geometry and symmetry of the Knicks moving forward. the fact that Phil has addressed this team's communication breakdown from last year as a stepping stone towards moving ahead with the trade and picks, puts the entire team in a different light, a progression towards a different way of doing things, playing and choosing who will be part of the team. A+ sheriff!

  3. #3
    Member gmf1369's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Watching them play I saw guys that looked at each other like, 'You didn't back me up, you weren't here when I needed help.' There just wasn't the right combination or feel (where) it felt like everybody was in synch all the time.
    -- Knicks president Phil Jackson

    That quote says it all about why P.J. has done what he has done so far, from the Tyson trade to the draft...

  4. #4
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,038
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Great article. Love Phil's accomplishments so far.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,301
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Great article. Love Phil's accomplishments so far.


    The article has no base, or any structure indicating a new foundation of a winning Knicks team.
    The article will become great, after July 1st when Phil Jackson sign n trade carmelo anthony for two decent starter players (hopefully, a PG & center). Then and only then will the Knicks have a new direction, and a new foundation to build-on.

    Phil Jackson keeping a 40 minute ball-hogging isolation Marbury (Carmelo Anthony), a selfish ego-player that never put any effort into defending opponents throughout a decade career in the NBA, would actually mean Phil Jackson took 2 steps backward, after the one step forward action he made at the end of the regular season.
    Everything Phil did would become a waste the day he resign carmelo anthony.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,498
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    The article has no base, or any structure indicating a new foundation of a winning Knicks team.
    The article will become great, after July 1st when Phil Jackson sign n trade carmelo anthony for two decent starter players (hopefully, a PG & center). Then and only then will the Knicks have a new direction, and a new foundation to build-on.

    Phil Jackson keeping a 40 minute ball-hogging isolation Marbury (Carmelo Anthony), a selfish ego-player that never put any effort into defending opponents throughout a decade career in the NBA, would actually mean Phil Jackson took 2 steps backward, after the one step forward action he made at the end of the regular season.
    Everything Phil did would become a waste the day he resign carmelo anthony.

    nice show of faith. everything Phil said was positive and reactionary towards Knicks sh*tty last season. but you hate Melo so much that anything he does revolves around the re-signing of one of the best offensive players in the league who had no coach to reign him in and utilize his strengths to best effect. I believe if Melo IS re-signed, he will be a much better player within the triangle offense and defensive schematic operated by DFish and PJ. the article and what Phil Jackson has already done shows that the Knicks are on the right path towards a winning mentality.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,910
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Kiya You can't praise Phil Jackson like you have in other threads and then say in this one that he hasn't done crap and his legacy is going to be based on what he does with Melo.

    I think he might be the first GM we've had around here that might have the guts to not sign him but if he does I'm going to have the confidence that he thinks that Melo can be a key piece in winning that championship for the Knicks. Also, it looks to me that he's sending signals to Melo, "look take less money or walk" and that's a good starting point in negotiations. The boneheads we've had before started off with the max as their bottom line number and then traded away half the team to get him, not going to happen with Phil.

  8. #8
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    I agree with Kiya to the extent there are a couple other articles.... Phil hinting he may give Melo a max contract if it comes to it based on projecting out Salary Cap flexibility going forward.

    I have a major problem with this line of thinking for 2 reasons.

    1 - He's basing it off of current cap trend(s) but Phil needs to understand it's dangerous to think along these lines because the cap could stay flat line or dip in the up and coming yrs. Just because it's projected to increase by about $4mil this off-season does not mean this will be the norm for the next 4yrs. It's all about overall NBA revenue and the BRI. The economy could change based on consumer interest and other obligations they'll have, if the economy is strong or weak.

    2- My other gripe you can't publicly week after week demand he show he's a team player by requesting he take a paycut and in the same breath hint you'll give him the max if that's what it will take for him to stay. The paycut you're asking him to take from some examples given in the media, such as $3-4mil/yr is not significant enough. In order for things to work financially...to the degree we want his salary has to be around approximately $17-18mil/yr, therefore he needs to take a greater paycut. Nevertheless Phil has already hurt us publicly with negotiating as he's admitted our treshhold is giving him the Max. Unless he's thinking along the lines of S&T him in such a scenario. There's no need for us to bid against ourselves and there's no need to give him the full max. No need to go down the Dolan-Allan Houston path again, none whatsoever.

    I love Phi's accessibility to the media but boy has he been an EPIC motor mouth since he's arrived. He needs to know when to talk and when not to. Tone it down please when it comes to the Carmelo strategy.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,301
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    nice show of faith. everything Phil said was positive and reactionary towards Knicks sh*tty last season. but you hate Melo so much that anything he does revolves around the re-signing of one of the best offensive players in the league who had no coach to reign him in and utilize his strengths to best effect. I believe if Melo IS re-signed, he will be a much better player within the triangle offense and defensive schematic operated by DFish and PJ. the article and what Phil Jackson has already done shows that the Knicks are on the right path towards a winning mentality.

    My Faith in Phil Jackson lies in Phil's career of coaching 100% team-ball throughout each season.
    I'm looking for our new President of operation to put together a new coaching-staff with veteran-players on the same-page to think/perform Team-Ball throughout every 48 minute Knicks game.

    CoolClyde .... your so-call best offensive-player in the league does not fit that bill.
    camelo anthony isolation scoring performance has never offered 4 assist per game to any of his teammate PG in a season (Melo dont move without the ball!).
    If Melo were a SG averaging 25 points then he could get a pass like ball-hogging Kobe Bryant on a team-ballin-roster. But Melo's a 6.9 small-forward that isolation performance never improve the performance of his teammate PG talent on offense, or help to improve teammate PF/C offense/defense talent.

    Im not sorry to say, "Individual-Performance" spells out carmelo anthony career in the NBA.

    Team-Ball for any small-forward also means working together with teammates PF, and centers in the paint on boxing-out for the rebound, plus defensive-switches to defend the paint.
    Tyson Chandlers comment during the season on the Knicks defensive-switches, were the same comments Marcus Camby mention his last season as a Denver Nuggets.

    Melo had 4 different head-coaches in Denver, and two in NY.
    Melo isolation performance stayed the same under every coach. Except coach Larry Brown who never gave Melo one second of playingtime on the USA team.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,498
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    My Faith in Phil Jackson lies in Phil's career of coaching 100% team-ball throughout each season.
    I'm looking for our new President of operation to put together a new coaching-staff with veteran-players on the same-page to think/perform Team-Ball throughout every 48 minute Knicks game.

    CoolClyde .... your so-call best offensive-player in the league does not fit that bill.
    camelo anthony isolation scoring performance has never offered 4 assist per game to any of his teammate PG in a season (Melo dont move without the ball!).
    If Melo were a SG averaging 25 points then he could get a pass like ball-hogging Kobe Bryant on a team-ballin-roster. But Melo's a 6.9 small-forward that isolation performance never improve the performance of his teammate PG talent on offense, or help to improve teammate PF/C offense/defense talent.

    Im not sorry to say, "Individual-Performance" spells out carmelo anthony career in the NBA.

    Team-Ball for any small-forward also means working together with teammates PF, and centers in the paint on boxing-out for the rebound, plus defensive-switches to defend the paint.
    Tyson Chandlers comment during the season on the Knicks defensive-switches, were the same comments Marcus Camby mention his last season as a Denver Nuggets.

    Melo had 4 different head-coaches in Denver, and two in NY.
    Melo isolation performance stayed the same under every coach. Except coach Larry Brown who never gave Melo one second of playingtime on the USA team.
    why don't you start the "I Hate Melo" thread? what ru waiting for?

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Don't worry CC...The Melo free agency tour starts tomorrow here in Chicago. Then to Texas( how's that "poison pill" deal looking now Houston"we have a problem we owe our back up PG 12 million$$"), and will pull into LA next week where Melo has a crib as well. So Kiya, 3G and the rest of the Melo hating crew may get their wish. Knicks starting five without Melo: pg-Calderone sg-JR sf-bargs, pf-STAT, center-dalambert. How's that line up look Melo ISO haters??? Looks like 15-20 win season to me

  12. #12
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Don't worry CC...The Melo free agency tour starts tomorrow here in Chicago. Then to Texas( how's that "poison pill" deal looking now Houston"we have a problem we owe our back up PG 12 million$$"), and will pull into LA next week where Melo has a crib as well. So Kiya, 3G and the rest of the Melo hating crew may get their wish. Knicks starting five without Melo: pg-Calderone sg-JR sf-bargs, pf-STAT, center-dalambert. How's that line up look Melo ISO haters??? Looks like 15-20 win season to me

    Well Melo concubine....


    With Melo it's probably a 25-35win season.


    Give me 15-20wins so we're a lock to fall into the Top 5 of the lottery in 2015 when we'll have our pick.
    Last edited by 3G4G; Jun 30, 2014 at 08:37.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by 3G4G
    Well Melo concubine....


    With Melo it's probably a 25-35win season.


    Give me 15-20wins so we're a lock to fall into the Top 5 of the lottery in 2015 when we'll have our pick.
    And then what 4Genius???? Draft the latest flavor of the month and hope and pray for the best??? Ask a Sixer or Cavs fan how that plan is working out. Lottery picks lead to more lottery picks because your team SUCKS... And no decent free agent will want to come play for a suck azz team so you wind up overpaying for second tier bums just to justify the overpriced seats at the Garden. See "Starbury"&"STAT" for references there. "Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it" a wise man once said. But you are to busy sipping Similak to know of such things

  14. #14
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    And then what 4Genius???? Draft the latest flavor of the month and hope and pray for the best??? Ask a Sixer or Cavs fan how that plan is working out. Lottery picks lead to more lottery picks because your team SUCKS... And no decent free agent will want to come play for a suck azz team so you wind up overpaying for second tier bums just to justify the overpriced seats at the Garden. See "Starbury"&"STAT" for references there. "Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it" a wise man once said. But you are to busy sipping Similak to know of such things




    OKC(Lottery Core)
    Pacers(Near Lottery Core) David West Signed As Free Agent
    Bulls(Lottery Core) Melo threatening to sign there(<----------El Oh El Em In Oh Pee)
    Wizards(Lottery Core)
    Warriors(Lottery Core) David Lee and Andre Iguodala Signed As Free Agent
    Blazers(Near Lottery Core)
    Charlotte(Lottery Core) Al Jefferson signed as Free Agent

    Say Hello!!!!

    Battle Ship Officially Sunk

  15. #15
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Phil has decided to relinquish rights on Toure Murry. Oh No I thought but but but...lol

    Free Agent paradise

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 117
    Last Post: Apr 10, 2011, 02:08
  2. [SONG] Knickerbocker Town
    By rady in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 08, 2011, 13:21
  3. New Danilo Gallinari MY TOWN video on youtube
    By KNICKMATIC809 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jun 03, 2010, 19:21
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 11, 2008, 09:25
  5. [Daily News] Circus Always In Town
    By rady in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 04, 2006, 06:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •