Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Kurt Rambis to join Knicks' bench

  1. #1
    Member gmf1369's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Kurt Rambis to join Knicks' bench

    Kurt Rambis will accept a position as an assistant coach under New York Knicks head coach Derek Fisher, league sources told [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Rambis will be the first addition to Fisher's staff. Fisher, a first-year coach, said at his introductory press conference that he hoped to add some experienced coaches to his bench.

    Rambis has had three previous stints as an assistant coach for the Lakers, spanning 12 seasons in total. Rambis worked in Los Angeles under current Knicks president and former Lakers coach Phil Jackson and was an assistant when Fisher was played for the Lakers.

    Derek Fisher on the Knicks' coaching staff.


    Rambis also was the Lakers' head coach in 1998-99, going 24-13 after Del Harris was fired.

    He has a strong knowledge of the triangle offense, which the Knicks are expected to implement.

    Rambis, an assistant coach for the Lakers last season, interviewed with general manager Mitch Kupchak for the head coaching position for the Lakers late last month.

    Rambis, 56, went 32-132 in two seasons as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

    Rambis also played for the Lakers for nine seasons (1981-88, 1993-95), winning four championships.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    PJ continues to reward his inner circle and create an infrastructure of personnel favorable to the triangle. I wonder what Rambis will be able to do with Stat, Bargnani, and Dalembert once things get rolling? Our bigs integrating well into the triangle is going to be a make or break factor, unless we have a more triangle-friendly big man on our radar (obviously Gasol, but that still seems unlikely).

  3. #3
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Status quo signing. There were several who didn't want Rambis as a head coach but for some odd reason the signing looks solid with him coming as an assistant, although Phil will be doing major Proxy work.

    Not sure if any of the above can be made sense of, or really has any bearing on our success whether he was hired or not. I think this does more for Fisher than anyone else.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by 3G4G
    Status quo signing. There were several who didn't want Rambis as a head coach but for some odd reason the signing looks solid with him coming as an assistant, although Phil will be doing major Proxy work.

    Not sure if any of the above can be made sense of, or really has any bearing on our success whether he was hired or not. I think this does more for Fisher than anyone else.
    You can't make sense out of my comment? It's not that complicated. Rambis' bread and butter is the triangle offense and in particular, the big man's role in it. You remember how him and Love were a disaster in Minnesota? That's because Rambis tried to turn Love into a kind of big man that he is not. Our current big men are Dalembert, Stat, and Bargnani. Yeah and clearly, it is a big help to Fisher as well. It better be, in fact, because once again we are paying someone well above average for their position.

  5. #5
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by htr10
    You can't make sense out of my comment? It's not that complicated. Rambis' bread and butter is the triangle offense and in particular, the big man's role in it. You remember how him and Love were a disaster in Minnesota? That's because Rambis tried to turn Love into a kind of big man that he is not. Our current big men are Dalembert, Stat, and Bargnani. Yeah and clearly, it is a big help to Fisher as well. It better be, in fact, because once again we are paying someone well above average for their position.
    No I was saying you can't make sense of approving Rambis as an assistant over a head coach...if Phil is coaching via proxy. Why would it matter?

    If Rambis is bad, then he's bad. He won't automatically become a good assistant coach because Phil hired him, especially when that's what he's been doing the past few seasons.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by 3G4G
    No I was saying you can't make sense of approving Rambis as an assistant over a head coach...if Phil is coaching via proxy. Why would it matter?

    If Rambis is bad, then he's bad. He won't automatically become a good assistant coach because Phil hired him, especially when that's what he's been doing the past few seasons.
    Oh sorry, my bad, I misunderstood.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,914
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I wonder how high up on the list Rambis was for the head coaches job. He had a ton of experience including being a head coach, knows Phil's triangle system yet was passed over by two rookies. Tells you something about the qualities you need to be a coach, presence and leadership are more important than experience.

  8. #8
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Good move by the Knicks...we needed a veteran coach that knew the triangle

Similar Threads

  1. Phil Jackson Has Officially Agreed To Join Knicks
    By tiger0330 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2014, 02:16
  2. Steve Novak to join Knicks?
    By StarksOverJordan in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Dec 24, 2011, 14:49
  3. Roger Mason to Join Knicks?
    By insanity4289 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Aug 07, 2010, 20:34
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jul 06, 2010, 16:03
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr 11, 2010, 15:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •