Knicks Interested in Andrew Bynum?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Fansided -- Phil Jackson continues to plan for the summer of 2015.

According to Marc Berman, of the New York Post, Jackson and the New York Knicks could be interested in disgruntled big man Andrew Bynum. The former connection between Jackson and Bynum’s time with the Lakers between 2006-11 could be the driving factor in the Knicks’ interest.

It also doesn’t hurt the fact that the Knicks will desperately be in need of a big man after the season when the contracts of Samuel Dalembert, Amar’e Stoudemire, Andrea Bargnani and Jason Smith come off the books.

But before the Knicks, or any other team for that matter, show sincere interest in Bynum, he needs to get healthy. And that’s what the 26-year-old center is hoping to do this offseason.

The 7-foot Bynum may not be reuniting with Phil Jackson’s Knicks or any other team next season because he is seriously contemplating sitting out 2014-15 to undergo the Germany-based knee therapy called “The Regenokine Program’’ that would require an extra long rehab, according to his agent David Lee. But he could be in play for the following season.

Regenokine is a non-surgical program that promotes new cartilage growth through a series of injections. The FDA still hasn’t approved it in the United States. Bynum is considering doing the program with well-known doctor German doctor Peter Wehling, who worked with Kobe Bryant and Alex Rodriguez. It is similar but not identical to the PRP procedure.

The Knicks pursued Bynum last February before Jackson came aboard, but he signed with the Pacers, though he couldn’t remain healthy. He played 26 games last season: 24 with Cleveland before being waived for disciplinary reasons and two with the Pacers.

“If he’s healthy, Phil will be interested,’’ Lee told The Post. “Phil knew how to tap into Andrew. They got along famously.’’

Bynum played his best season of his career with the Lakers in 2012, where he averaged 18.7 points 11.8 rebounds per game in 60 games played. Bynum played a limited role with the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Indiana Pacers last season.

Phil better not think once about this. Seriously if we sign him Phil should resign.

As has become the norm in many practical cases on KO, I totally agree with 3G4G, Bynum has been a franchise killer the last few years. The Bynum that PJ knew is gone. No way we should even consider Bynum in the summer of our restart next year.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Phil better not think once about this. Seriously if we sign him Phil should resign.

As has become the norm in many practical cases on KO, I totally agree with 3G4G, Bynum has been a franchise killer the last few years. The Bynum that PJ knew is gone. No way we should even consider Bynum in the summer of our restart next year.

If the reports are true and he is taking the year off to rehab his knees overseas, I wouldn't be against taking a flyer especially because we have both P.J. & Fisher whom probably believe they can control him to whereas he won't be nothing less than an asset... Best way to make sure this is by giving him an non-guaranteed contract for one year and go from there... That is the only way I see this playing out and again if this report has an validity to it...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
From what I've heard about him it seems he's not a good guy to have around your team, but with him taking a year off to get healthy and his past with Phil, it's a good decision to at least look into it. Phil cut Lamar Odom, so it's not like he's shown he's gonna be like Woodson and keep him for no good reason.

tiger0330

Legend
No way do you sign him, Bynum would expect to get paid just like at his last few teams. He'll be probably be just like Greg Oden when he comes back where you have to baby him and play him very limited minutes and what did Oden do for the Heat this year NOTHING.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Maybe you and 3G could get a "chat room" together lol:)