Knicks tried to get Kevin Love

tiger0330

Legend
The story is a few days old but I thought I would post it anyway to see what you guys thought. Some here don't think Love is worth it but most of the league is valuing the guy as a top five player with the offers the TWolves are getting. I am ambivalent on the guy, he's had a lot of supporting casts yet the Wolves have been nothing but mediocre and of course there are his well known poor defense.

The Knicks offer was underwhelming and probably gave Flip a laugh but at least Phil tried.

Offseason: Free Agency | Latest from Ken Berger | Rumors

The Wall Street Journal reports that the New York Knicks recently attempted to trade for Kevin Love, offering young prospects and Amar'e Stoudemire's huge expiring contract.

The Knicks recently attempted to make a trade for Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Love, offering forward Amar'e Stoudemire and his enormous expiring contract, second-year guard Tim Hardaway, Jr. and swingman Iman Shumpert, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

via Source: Knicks Made Offer for Kevin Love, Timberwolves Balked - WSJ.

That's actually not that bad of a package. A huge expiring contract to allow Minnesota to dump Kevin Martin and/or J.J. Barea in a deal, two great young prospect players in THJ and Shump. Now just throw in a couple of draft picks and...

Oh, right.

And that's where the deal falls apart. Due to the Ted Stepien rule, teams can't trade picks in consecutive seasons. The Knicks traded their 2014 pick in the Carmelo Anthony trade and their 2016 pick in the Andrea Bargnani deal. (The gift that keeps on giving.) To be clear, that offer even with picks doesn't stack up with Cleveland's offer of Andrew Wiggins or the Warriors' offer if they deign to include Klay Thompson, or the Bulls offer of Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott, but it's also not bad ... if they had picks.

But they don't, having mortgaged their future in monstrous ways in efforts to win now. It's good that the Knicks picked up the phone to make the call, but the rebuilding process just isn't going to be that easy for Phil Jackson and company.

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't see Amare wanting to be any where near minnesota for an entire year.
Especially, after coach Adeleman quit the organization. com'on

All the super-big hype on Kevin Love has me thinking Love has the best agent in sports.
The Timberwolves 6 seasons with Love had a 24 win season, 15 win, 17 win, 26 win, 31 win, and a 40 win season.
When u count all the losing games Kevin Love had as a Timberwolves, being the first option on offense for 36 minutes per game at 6.10, his stats should be high in a losing cause.
Look at Melo's best stats of his 10 yr career in a losing cause.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Report: Knicks offered Stoudemire, Hardaway, Shumpert for Love

CBSSports.com -- The Wall Street Journal reports that the New York Knicks recently attempted to trade for Kevin Love, offering young prospects and Amar'e Stoudemire's huge expiring contract.

The Knicks recently attempted to make a trade for Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Love, offering forward Amar'e Stoudemire and his enormous expiring contract, second-year guard Tim Hardaway, Jr. and swingman Iman Shumpert, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

via Source: Knicks Made Offer for Kevin Love, Timberwolves Balked - WSJ.

That's actually not that bad of a package. A huge expiring contract to allow Minnesota to dump Kevin Martin and/or J.J. Barea in a deal, two great young prospect players in THJ and Shump. Now just throw in a couple of draft picks and...

Oh, right.

And that's where the deal falls apart. Due to the Ted Stepien rule, teams can't trade picks in consecutive seasons. The Knicks traded their 2014 pick in the Carmelo Anthony trade and their 2016 pick in the Andrea Bargnani deal. (The gift that keeps on giving.)

To be clear, that offer even with picks doesn't stack up with Cleveland's offer of Andrew Wiggins or the Warriors' offer if they deign to include Klay Thompson, or the Bulls offer of Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott, but it's also not bad ... if they had picks.

But they don't, having mortgaged their future in monstrous ways in efforts to win now. It's good that the Knicks picked up the phone to make the call, but the rebuilding process just isn't going to be that easy for Phil Jackson and company.

Love rebounds and hits 3s, great player to pair with a superstar, which Lebron is of course, can't blame Cavs for going for him. Same with Knicks but what were theyv gonna trade for him Amare? LOL I bet Twolves owner had a good laugh.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
The knicks had no shot. This is like someone who has a sub 400 credit score, no down payment and a job making 24k a year saying, they tried to get a 2014 Maserati.....

Kiyaman

Legend
Say what u want ......
I still believe "David Lee" are a much better option than Love or Barg in a Knicks uniform.