Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Acy/Outlaw in, Tyler/Ellington out

  1. #1
    Member WNY_Knickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    453
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Acy/Outlaw in, Tyler/Ellington out

    Wayne Ellington, we hardly knew ya! Thoughts on the trade? I get a lot of mixed opinions on it, Ellington, well, he can shoot but unless Jr/Shump was moved, he was never likely to get any burn, so makes ton of sense, but I hate giving up on Tyler, thought he looked good in vegas, know we have depth there now with sam d and jason in, but cheap and if someone went down and we turned to Tyler it wouldn't frighten me. Acy, not that i've seen a great deal, but reminds me a bit of the JYD, or Reggie Evans, not ultra talented but goes nuts, so I like that but doubt he plays much, Outlaw, well there is some talent there but thought he'd kinda been a bum for a few years now? Idk, not stoked or irate, just wanted to hear opinions

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    It was a minor trade for both teams with the Kings reportedly set to waive both players to get under the luxury tax. Acy is nothing special, smallish if you play him at the 4 and not a skilled SF, yeah he might be a high energy guy but he has to be to make up for what he lacks. Used to think Outlaw was a stud when he was in Portland but like you say he's been a bum the last few years but he has more potential to be Melo's backup at SF than Acy imo.

    I think the Knicks did the deal to balance the roster getting 2 guys to possibly back up Melo rather than depending on Cleanthony alone to be Melo's backup. There were rumors that the Knicks were willing to give up Prigoni to get rid of Ellington which made no sense and I'm glad it didn't happen.

  3. #3
    Member WNY_Knickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    453
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Oh wow, yeah I would not have been happy to lose Prigs, think he will be quite useful, him and Calderon as generals that can keep defenders honest, then Larkin as a pace changer at certain points

  4. #4
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    This trade was a factor of zero on a scale of 0 to 0

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,780
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by 3G4G
    This trade was a factor of zero on a scale of 0 to 0
    Yeah. This is a move you make to maybe open you up to make another move, which maybe, after two more moves, actually affects your rotation in some meaningful way.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,174
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by 3G4G
    This trade was a factor of zero on a scale of 0 to 0
    This trade prove Phil rushed into the Tyson/Felton trade without a clue, Phil was suppose to demand a Mavs future draft pick along with Dalembert/Calderon. Taking Ellington/Larkins contract that total $4M per were something I expect from a interim GM Grunwald.

    To take on Ellington $2.7M per contract ....
    The Kings demanded a Knicks future draft pick, plus a young big body Tyler to mix with Cousins in the paint.

    Knicks gave-up .. Tyson/Tyler/Felton/and 2016 2nd round pick for ..
    Dalembert/Outlaw/Acy/Calderon/Larkin

    Im going to let the players above (2014-15 season) performance weigh out the trade.
    Trading down? or trading up?

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    This trade prove Phil rushed into the Tyson/Felton trade without a clue, Phil was suppose to demand a Mavs future draft pick along with Dalembert/Calderon. Taking Ellington/Larkins contract that total $4M per were something I expect from a interim GM Grunwald.

    To take on Ellington $2.7M per contract ....
    The Kings demanded a Knicks future draft pick, plus a young big body Tyler to mix with Cousins in the paint.


    Knicks gave-up .. Tyson/Tyler/Felton/and 2016 2nd round pick for ..
    Dalembert/Outlaw/Acy/Calderon/Larkin

    Im going to let the players above (2014-15 season) performance weigh out the trade.
    Trading down? or trading up?
    This 2nd round pick was already one we gave to Portland in the Felton trade. The Knicks just took off the 31-36 position protection so if the Knicks don't finish as a bottom 5 team next season they don't lose anything.

    The Kings supposedly are going to release Tyler and use the stretch provision on Ellington to waive him to get under the luxury tax. So the Kings are not pairing Tyler with Cousins or keeping Ellington for his 3 pt shooting, this is purely a salary cap move for the Kings.

    I still like the trade with Dallas, Chandler didn't want to play here and Calderon for Felton you do 10 out of 10 times along with getting into this years draft was solid work by Phil.
    Last edited by tiger0330; Aug 08, 2014 at 13:56.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,174
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    This 2nd round pick was already one we gave to Portland in the Felton trade. The Knicks just took off the 31-36 position protection so if the Knicks don't finish as a bottom 5 team next season they don't lose anything.

    The Kings supposedly are going to release Tyler and use the stretch provision on Ellington to waive him to get under the luxury tax. So the Kings are not pairing Tyler with Cousins or keeping Ellington for his 3 pt shooting, this is purely a salary cap move for the Kings.

    I still like the trade with Dallas, Chandler didn't want to play here and Calderon for Felton you do 10 out of 10 times along with getting into this years draft was solid work by Phil.

    Yeah, I do recall the trade for Felton and Kurt Thomas, i wish we had added Kurt Thomas on our coaching-staff to tighten the frontcourt big men defense.

    What Phil forgot was Dallas coach Rick Carlyle had "Tyson/Dirk/Marion" the dominate big-man trio to beat in 2010-11 to win it all.
    Phil giving Cuban the twin-tower 7 footer that won Cuban a Chip, should've cost Cuban a first round draft pick, plus taking Felton contract off our hands.

    I recall rating Nate Robinson with a few of the East starter PG, Calderon/Nelson/and Felton in 2009, their skills were different but equal a Tier-2 PG.
    Calderon PG performance picked-up tremendously under coach Carlyle tactics with having Shawn Marion leadership calling offense/defense plays. If Shawn Marion resign with Dallas (which he will), we will see a different Felton and Nelson PG performance on the court for Dallas.

    I dont see the Kings cutting Tyler until after the preseason games.
    We didnt use Tyler as a PF playing in a line-up with a center.
    The same way we didnt use Copeland as a SF in a line-up with a PF and center on the court.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,494
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    whew, Kiyaman sticking it to PJ before the season starts, what a discontented pessimist. still harping on losing twigs for legs Chandler and fat as f*ck Felton... i won't go into that trade, just very happy we'll have Calderon running the point and Cleanthony Early on this team now.

    Ellington was fodder. a fill-in to make the numbers work on the first trade, he was never going to play on the Knicks. Jeremy Tyler proved his worth last season and in summer league, Phil and the Fish had a good look at him in practice as well. someone who could not control his temper, fouled easily and was last in line behind Dalembert, Aldrich, JaSmith, STAT, Bargs, etc - what the Knicks got in return for JT and Ellie were a veteran in Outlaw who can shoot the 3 in the triangle, and a VERY high energy guy in Quincy "The Beard" Acy, who can play offense and defense, can hit the 3, and has good moves. AND the Knicks now have 2 more players to back up Melo if Cleanthony can't cut it in his first NBA season.

    If Jeremy Tyler was a fan favorite, Quincy Acy is going to be 10X the fan fave, believe you me.

    oh, and be grateful the Knicks did not give up Pablo Prigs in this deal.
    Pablo's worth >>> Tyler's worth

    this is a win-win trade for the Knicks. as pointed out, the 2nd round draft pick was something the Knicks had already given up in a previous trade, they just had the protection taken off. As PJ has proven, he can come up with 2nd round draft picks on a dime, he is a magician off the court, a procurer of rings, and a genius of bball. to constantly put him down, mainly for signing one of the best shooters in the league, is premature ejaculatory nonsense. give Phil a chance, give a proven winning formula a chance, give peace a chance.
    Last edited by CoolClyde; Aug 09, 2014 at 09:53.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    The brass do like Acy and he did hit 4/8 3s in Summer League but I doubt he's a Knick after this season.

    If Kiya hit the lottery he'd probably complain about paying the taxes. He turned on PJ quick, went from his hero to a bum in 4 months and the Knicks haven't even played a game.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,031
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    The brass do like Acy and he did hit 4/8 3s in Summer League but I doubt he's a Knick after this season.

    If Kiya hit the lottery he'd probably complain about paying the taxes. He turned on PJ quick, went from his hero to a bum in 4 months and the Knicks haven't even played a game.
    I had a feeling Kiya was gonna turn on him as soon as he start making up things that he was gonna do lol.

    You're the man, Kiya, but come on.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    334
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Ellington had the most talent of the players in the trade, but we hardly needed another shooter.

    I think we are really gonna love this kid Acy, and more to the point he is the type of scrapper that every team needs.

    The best indication is the reaction out in Sacremento:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Adding a scrapper at SF is also very clever because it is going to push Cleanthony Early (and anyone else looking for minutes at the position) to match the defense, rebounding, and intensity that Acy brings. Even if Acy is mostly stuck on the bench, he helps the team.

    I have a really good feeling here.
    Last edited by nixon7; Aug 10, 2014 at 14:51. Reason: additional though

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    Ellington had the most talent of the players in the trade, but we hardly needed another shooter.

    I think we are really gonna love this kid Acy, and more to the point he is the type of scrapper that every team needs.

    The best indication is the reaction out in Sacremento:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Adding a scrapper at SF is also very clever because it is going to push Cleanthony Early (and anyone else looking for minutes at the position) to match the defense, rebounding, and intensity that Acy brings. Even if Acy is mostly stuck on the bench, he helps the team.

    I have a really good feeling here.
    I hope you're right. Every team needs scrappers and good reasonably priced assets. The article alluded to Acy's improvement and that will be welcome, I remember a 15mpg energy guy that compensated for lack of skill with scrappy play last year but that would be great if he became a 6th man off the bench.

  14. #14
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    Pablo's worth >>> Tyler's worth
    Which goes to show how over the top some fans were last year, killing Woody for not playing Tyler....considering Pablo has a non guaranteed deal next year and will be 37yrs old.

    Nothing will come of this trade. I'm beginning to think Phil was doing favors for these players at agents requests, while trying to get some value out of a deal.

    All players in this deal are like the bead droplets inside of a drunk 20oz empty bottle of Pepsi

    No need to make a mole hill out of a smaller dust ball of a trade

  15. #15
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,494
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    ^I have to disagree, every move PJ's made has been to bolster the team, supply cogs in the wheel, back up Melo where the case may be, add a solid 3-point shooter/veteran to the squad and a total energy guy who plays D and can score. it's the little things that make teams great, and PJ is proving his worth with every little deal... Ellington? Tyler? who cares? Outlaw? The Beard? I say OK PJ. do what you can with what you've got; I support these moves, rather than the ho-hum apathetic responses I've seen.

Similar Threads

  1. Jeremy Tyler is a KNICK.
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Aug 16, 2013, 13:13
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec 20, 2011, 14:17
  3. Knicks Potentially Going After Travis Outlaw
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec 18, 2011, 10:19
  4. Jeremy Tyler drops out of school
    By TunerAddict in forum NBA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 23, 2009, 17:32
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 21, 2008, 10:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •