Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN predicts Knicks finish 10th

Veteran

Ballmer didn't deserve the billions he made at Microsoft. John Chambers of Cisco is another guy I can't wait to see leave.

Originally Posted by paris401
    if you were a shareholder when he was running the company, you would not be happy (I wasn't a happy camper)... the stock did 'dick' during his reign, only moving after he left the day/day..

it was a good company before/during/after his tenure... but was only making $$$ for the shareholders b4 and after his tenure...
    when ballmer took over day to day operations I think microsoft was fighting a huge antitrust lawsuit. but to say the company failed under him may not be accurate.

Under Ballmer's tenure as CEO, Microsoft's annual revenue surged from $25 billion to $70 billion, while its net income increased 215 percent to $23 billion, and its gross profit of 75 cents on every dollar in sales is double that of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ] In terms of leading the company's total annual profit growth, Ballmer's tenure at Microsoft (16.4 percent) surpassed the performances of other well-known CEOs such as [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (11.2 percent) and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (2 percent).[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] These gains came from the existing Windows and Office franchises, with Ballmer maintaining their profitability, fending off threats from cheaper competitors such as GNU/Linux and other open-source operating systems and Google Docs.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Ballmer also built half-a-dozen new businesses[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] such as the data centers division ($6.6 billion in profit for 2011)[[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    now to be fair, his tenure had it's issues as you stated

Ballmer attracted criticism for failing to capitalize on several new consumer technologies, forcing Microsoft to play catch-up in the areas of tablet computing, smartphones and music players with mixed results.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Under Ballmer's watch, "In many cases, Microsoft latched onto technologies like smartphones, touchscreens, 'smart' cars and wristwatches that read sports scores aloud long before Apple or Google did. But it repeatedly killed promising projects if they threatened its cash cows [Windows and Office].")[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Microsoft's share price stagnated during Ballmer's tenure. As a result, in May 2012, hedge fund manager [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] called on Ballmer to step down as CEO of Microsoft. "His continued presence is the biggest overhang on Microsoft's stock," Einhorn said in reference to Ballmer.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] In a May 2012 column in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] magazine, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] described Ballmer as "the worst CEO of a large publicly traded American company", saying he had "steered Microsoft out of some of the fastest growing and most lucrative tech markets (mobile music, handsets and tablets)".[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

so the company made money with ballmer, but as mentioned he missed the ship on some new technology even making the huge mistake of underestimating the Iphone.. with that said, he made a lot of money for the company.. just didn't do much as far as increasing share price...

As the owner of the clippers, we won't be looking for him to increase share prices, just run that organization in a professional manner. Make good decisions.. As we have seen he did a good job with existing products with microsoft, just missed on new technology and as we know a lot of people miss on new tech.... with the clippers has walked into a really good situation , talent wise, and I don't expect him to mess that up at all..

The guy is not as bad as some of you are making him out to be, actually he is not bad at all, and if he were to replace dolan I am sure many knick fans would be defending this guy... do you think he is worse than dolan? he certainly has a lot more bank than dolan does....

He is a good motivator, a pretty smart guy, I think he will do well with the clippers and anything above sterling is a win - win situation..

Veteran

Originally Posted by Tkf
    when ballmer took over day to day operations I think microsoft was fighting a huge antitrust lawsuit. but to say the company failed under him may not be accurate...
    I've re-read the posting/s, and no where did I see anyone say that the company failed... didn't live up to expectations...yessss..
    failed...noooo...

Originally Posted by paris401
    I've re-read the posting/s, and no where did I see anyone say that the company failed... didn't live up to expectations...yessss..
    failed...noooo...
    well someone did say he ran microsoft into the ground.. would you not call that "failing"...

here is the quote from the poster..

More likely Ballmer runs the Clips into the ground like he did Microsoft.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Tkf
    well someone did say he ran microsoft into the ground.. would you not call that "failing"...

here is the quote from the poster..

WOW I actually though their revenue took some slight dips the past 2-3yrs but I was wrong. Ballmer did very well with the company. Could he have done more, who knows but with taking risks it can make or break sometimes.

Here's a link since 2002 what they've done in overall revenue. Considering 2014 hasn't concluded, assuming they do yr end fiscals..... not sure if it's a projection Microsoft is doing more than fine.
    [Only registered and activated users can see images. ]]

Veteran

Ballmer attracted criticism for failing to capitalize on several new consumer technologies, forcing Microsoft to play catch-up in the areas of tablet computing, smartphones and music players with mixed results.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Under Ballmer's watch, "In many cases, Microsoft latched onto technologies like smartphones, touchscreens, 'smart' cars and wristwatches that read sports scores aloud long before Apple or Google did. But it repeatedly killed promising projects if they threatened its cash cows [Windows and Office].")[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Microsoft's share price stagnated during Ballmer's tenure. As a result, in May 2012, hedge fund manager [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] called on Ballmer to step down as CEO of Microsoft. "His continued presence is the biggest overhang on Microsoft's stock," Einhorn said in reference to Ballmer.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] In a May 2012 column in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] magazine, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] described Ballmer as "the worst CEO of a large publicly traded American company", saying he had "steered Microsoft out of some of the fastest growing and most lucrative tech markets (mobile music, handsets and tablets)".[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Not sure who the source for this opinion on Ballmer is but that was my opinion of Ballmer when he ran Microsoft.

He probably is one of the smartest owners in the NBA now and Sterling is not a hard act to follow so he'll be a positive change for the Clippers. I see him being like Mark Cuban, he won't be cheap when it comes to spending money like Sterling was. I just think he did a terrible job at MSFT and didn't deserve all the billions he made as CEO with them.

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Not sure who the source for this opinion on Ballmer is but that was my opinion of Ballmer when he ran Microsoft.

He probably is one of the smartest owners in the NBA now and Sterling is not a hard act to follow so he'll be a positive change for the Clippers. I see him being like Mark Cuban, he won't be cheap when it comes to spending money like Sterling was. I just think he did a terrible job at MSFT and didn't deserve all the billions he made as CEO with them.
    honestly, does anyone deserve to make billions? I don't know, but he made a lot of money for microsoft when he was there, so I guess he was paid accordingly and of course a lot of that was probably stock options....

Part of his job was to keep them profitable and he did that, so again, to say he did a terrible job is kind of odd to me..

I also think he will be a good and polarizing owner, this league could use more owners like cuban...

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

I would have been a better CEO for Microsoft than Ballmer. So you make a smart phone cheap as hell but there's one problem, people that are locked in 2 year contracts don't really care how much the phone costs. So who cares? The customers in the ever growing pay as you go market. Did Ballmer shove that ****ty phone in the faces of Virgin, Cricket or Boost Mobile? Nope! Major fail...

That aside, I don't think he'll make personnel decisions for the Clips and he's certainly better than Sterling.

Veteran

I dont know what Blake Griffin and Chris Paul did to the Clippers organization during the 2011-12 short season, but the two players took a worthless $200M Clipper organization, and turned it into a top contender in the 2013-14 season.
    They increased the gross market of the Clippers team 3 times over by making Doc Rivers PRESIDENT OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS AND HEAD COACH. The Truth!

Steve Ballmer bought a WINNER!
    The Clippers had all the tools (plus extra) to be in the 2013-14 FINALS.
    Sterling true identity F that up!!!

Veteran

How will Phil and Fisher decision-making manage players Dalembert, Amare, Barg, Melo, JR, Shump, and Calderon into getting on the Same-Page in a triangle-system built for success?

I dont have a clue, and a lot of NBA fans don't have a clue.
    ESPN high-paid writers are guessing Dolan's antics of interfering will lead the Knicks to be a 10 seeded team.
    That's outrageous guessing when the Knicks roster has so many offensive-scoring tools to have a 45 win season.
    It's the postseason team-defense Phil and Fisher will have 82 games to work on.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    How will Phil and Fisher decision-making manage players Dalembert, Amare, Barg, Melo, JR, Shump, and Calderon into getting on the Same-Page in a triangle-system built for success?

I dont have a clue, and a lot of NBA fans don't have a clue.
    ESPN high-paid writers are guessing Dolan's antics of interfering will lead the Knicks to be a 10 seeded team.
    That's outrageous guessing when the Knicks roster has so many offensive-scoring tools to have a 45 win season.
    It's the postseason team-defense Phil and Fisher will have 82 games to work on.

i THINK the knicks being picked 10th had nothing to do with dolan and more to do with the knicks lack of overall talent and the east just getting that much better..

We don't have a lot of scoring offensive tools on this team... Not sure what you are looking at, but what I see are our best scorers are one on one chuckers.. carmela and JR smith.. two morons to put it kindly... they are not ball movers, they are not good passers and their game is not conducive to good team flow.

and then when you look to the defensive end, we have a lot of holes, especially at SF or PF wherever carmelo is playing and at PG....

now you may see a bounce back season from some guys like amare and shumpert, the improvement of Hardaway, but that wont be enough.. not enough to catapult you ahead of some of the more younger and talented teams in the east... I think fisher will have to do a heck of a coaching job just to keep the knicks anywhere between the 8th and 10th seed.....

Veteran

Originally Posted by Tkf
    i THINK the knicks being picked 10th had nothing to do with dolan and more to do with the knicks lack of overall talent and the east just getting that much better..
    When it comes to the Knicks its all about James Dolan. Example:
    Dolan trade for Melo & Billups, both having option for next season.
    Dolan works on a 4 year extension for Melo to resign before the season end.
    Dolan showed no interest in resigning Billups for the remainder of the season.
    The best player for the Knicks in the Melo/Billups trade was Billups. Watch the first postseason game vs Boston.

A Star was born in New York, named Linsanity!
    The Linsanity jersey sold 5 times more than any Knicks super-star within a 4 months period.
    The Knicks MSG crowd yelled-out "Linsanity" during games 4 to 5 times to create a energize Knicks team.
    The Knicks Linsanity not only filled all the seats in MSG, but the majority of road games too.

We don't have a lot of scoring offensive tools on this team...
    The Knicks roster has to many double-diget scoring tools in a uptempo-set offense, and a halfcourt-set offense.
    Coach Fisher will not run a half-court slow offense for 48 minutes like puppet Woodson.
    The Knicks average 6 points per game on fast break baskets last season.
    I see coach Fisher averaging 12 to 15 points per game on fast break baskets.

Not sure what you are looking at, but what I see are our best scorers are one on one chuckers.. carmela and JR smith.. two morons to put it kindly... they are not ball movers, they are not good passers and their game is not conducive to good team flow.
    Well I agree, Melo/JR prove your point when they were in Denver with teammates Allen Iverson, Billups, Camby, and Kenyon Martin.
    Melo/JR like to play in a slow-tempo game where they can pound the ball on isolation-moves to score where their teammates suppose to pick & screen for them, but Melo/JR will never pick or screen for their teammates, and Melo/JR will never push the ball to speed up the tempo of the game where they have to run or throw a lob pass for their teammates to score.

and then when you look to the defensive end, we have a lot of holes, especially at SF or PF wherever carmelo is playing and at PG....
    We all should know from Melo's performance in Syracuse, Melo never played defense for coach Boheim.
    And became the 3rd pick in the draft for his poor defense, plus USA coach Larry Brown did not give a no-defensive-Melo one second of playingtime on the USA team. Melo has improve since then Melo does make one defensive play per game now.
    Every PG/SG in the NBA knows Calderon has always been clueless as a defender.

now you may see a bounce back season from some guys like amare and shumpert, the improvement of Hardaway, but that wont be enough.. not enough to catapult you ahead of some of the more younger and talented teams in the east... I think fisher will have to do a heck of a coaching job just to keep the knicks anywhere between the 8th and 10th seed.....
    Miami Heat are still the TOP team in the EAST to beat in a playoff series.
    I see the Cavs as an improve team in the east making it pass the first round of the playoffs.
    Washington is taking Indiana place as a 2nd round playoff team.
    Chicago is still 50-50 with Derek Rose, plus Pau Gasol is not going to do any better than Boozer. Mcderm?
    Atlanta has always been a playoff team.
    The maybe teams like the injured Pacers, Raptors, Brooklyn, Bucks, Hornets, and Pistons are not going to have a better winning regular season than Phil/Fisher Knicks coaching-staff.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    When it comes to the Knicks its all about James Dolan. Example:
    Dolan trade for Melo & Billups, both having option for next season.
    Dolan works on a 4 year extension for Melo to resign before the season end.
    Dolan showed no interest in resigning Billups for the remainder of the season.
    The best player for the Knicks in the Melo/Billups trade was Billups. Watch the first postseason game vs Boston.

A Star was born in New York, named Linsanity!
    The Linsanity jersey sold 5 times more than any Knicks super-star within a 4 months period.
    The Knicks MSG crowd yelled-out "Linsanity" during games 4 to 5 times to create a energize Knicks team.
    The Knicks Linsanity not only filled all the seats in MSG, but the majority of road games too.

The Knicks roster has to many double-diget scoring tools in a uptempo-set offense, and a halfcourt-set offense.
    Coach Fisher will not run a half-court slow offense for 48 minutes like puppet Woodson.

Well I agree, Melo/JR prove your point when they were in Denver with teammates Allen Iverson, Billups, Camby, and Kenyon Martin.
    Melo/JR like to play in a slow-tempo game where they can pound the ball on isolation-moves to score where their teammates suppose to pick & screen for them, but Melo/JR will never pick or screen for their teammates, and Melo/JR will never push the ball to speed up the tempo of the game where they have to run or throw a lob pass for their teammates to score.

We all should know from Melo's performance in Syracuse, Melo never played defense for coach Boheim.
    And became the 3rd pick in the draft for his poor defense, plus USA coach Larry Brown did not give a no-defensive-Melo one second of playingtime on the USA team. Melo has improve since then Melo does make one defensive play per game now.

I see the Cavs as an improve team in the east making it pass the first round of the playoffs.
    Chicago is still 50-50 with Derek Rose, plus Pau Gasol is not going to do any better than Boozer. Mcderm?
    The maybe teams like the injured Pacers, Raptors, Brooklyn, Bucks, Hornets, and Pistons are not going to have a better winning regular season than Phil/Fisher Knicks coaching-staff.

I understand there is always a dolan factor, but I think the media is not factoring that in when it comes to where the knicks are picked to finish, I mean what more can dolan do once the season starts? the team you see now is the team these writers evaluated. everything you mentioned regarding dolan are things that happened in the offseason...

where you are picked in the draft has nothing to do with how you will or how you have performed in this league.. the fact that carmelo has never defended in college and still doesn't is what hinders him from becoming a complete player, a winner.. amongst other things he does not do. I am also not sure why people bring up his playing time with team USA that has absolutely nothing to do with what he does in a knicks uniform..

you speak of fisher as if he has years under his belt of running an accomplished uptempo offense.. Honestly scoring wise, we have a lot of question marks on this team.. outside of JR smith and carmelo's chucking we have not one person we can count on to consistently score the ball... even at an average rate.... fisher can want to play uptempo all he wants...he has to have the horses to do so...

why do you make it seem as if the cavs just marginally improved? you do understand lebron has never been eliminated in the first round... so cleveland is going to get out of the first round most likely.... not only have they improved but have done so tremendously.. They easily can have 3 of the top 5 players in the east on that team... we know they have the best player on the planet on that team... I mean lets be real.. if we had that roster, every knick fan would be talking ring... nothing less..

chicago is good without rose, was good without him.. rose is now back and they have gasol, they will be a tough team to beat.. period..

the bucks, nets, raptors hornets were all playoff teams that either improved or got healthy , they are not maybe teams... I mean how can you call the raptors a maybe team when they won the division? Hornets got lance stephenson and they are now a maybe team? really?

you are now putting so much weight on the knicks coaching staff.. let me ask you.. is fisher a better coach than Stan van gundy? we do know this SVG has been to a finals..... if we are going to start big upping coaching staffs, then detroit becomes just a bit more than a "maybe" playoff team...

Superstar

Nets hired Lionel Hollins does this count? Fiba tournament is currently taking place what about the players involved, all playing make it to the playoffs if USA wins? Thibs is one of the lead coaches does this mean Bulls automatically make it to the Finals. The reaching attempts never complement reality

Veteran

Originally Posted by 3G4G
    Nets hired Lionel Hollins does this count? Fiba tournament is currently taking place what about the players involved, all playing make it to the playoffs if USA wins? Thibs is one of the lead coaches does this mean Bulls automatically make it to the Finals. The reaching attempts never complement reality
    Lionel Hollins prove to be a decent coach who was able to coach the Memphis Grizzles players to their strength for successful seasons.
    How Hollins are going to do with coach-Killer Deron Williams in Brooklyn is a huge question mark?

Stan Van Gundy and brother JVG are clueless offensive-coaches without a scheme of a plan.
    The two brothers get props from me bc they are great defensive assistant-coaches, and I happen to be a Red Holzman Fan (Defense leads to the best offense).
    Shaq had SVG fired as the Heats HC, and Howard had SVG fired as the Magics HC.
    A play-maker (aka Skip to my Loo) took SVG to the Finals, the same player (Skip) took SVG and rookie D.Wade to the playoff.
    Head-coach SVG cut Skip twice.

The Bulls coach Thib has showed repeatedly to be the best defensive-system coach in the NBA, but his offensive-scheme is only good for regular season games.

Rookie head-coach Derek Fisher actually has a NY Knicks roster where he could build a decent offensive-system, or build a decent defensive system by giving players equal playing-time to result in an above .500 season for the Knicks.
    I see Fisher favoring team-performance throughout his rookie season, like Jason Kidd did.