Kurt Thomas speaks on Knicks .. Leadership

Kiyaman

Legend
Former Knicks stalwart Kurt Thomas, in what is believed to be his first interview since playing his last NBA game on March 18, 2013, in Utah, said the absence of veteran leaders such as himself irreparably damaged the Knicks last season when they went from 54 wins to 37. J.R. Smith would not have been up to his shoelace shenanigans on his watch.

Thomas also said rookie Knicks head coach Derek Fisher has a ?tremendous challenge? in guiding the team because he?s not familiar with what it?s like playing for the franchise.

?It?s going to be a tremendous challenge for him,? Thomas said on Knicks Blog Radio with Anthony Donahue on Monday night. ?He never played in New York and now he?s coaching there. There?s definitely going to be a lot of obstacles that he has to overcome. The Knicks organization is one of the best in the league and will put him in the right situation to be successful. But you don?t know what kind of coach he?ll be. Knicks fans have to be patient and give him time. I?m saying he?s a young coach like Jason Kidd. You just have to be patient.?

Thomas never officially retired, but sounded as if he?s done. In January, The Post reported Thomas ? who turns 42 next week ? was looking to get signed by a title contender but nothing panned out. He said he would still consider coaching.

Leadership was a big virtue on the 2012-13 club, and last season?s Knicks seemed to suffer from the absence of Thomas, Kidd, Rasheed Wallace and Marcus Camby.

?It shows how important it is to have professional players on a team to get through moments when you?re having a funk, to stay collectively as a team,? Thomas said.

Would the J.R. shoelace caper have happened if he had been there?

?I don?t think that would be something that would happen,? Thomas said. ?A veteran guy would?ve pulled him to the side and get in his ear, let him know the importance of staying focused at the task at hand. When you have a bunch of young guys, you don?t see that much looking out for one another. It?s important to have veteran guys with a great amount of experience and willing to share it.?

Thomas? second Knicks stint will be remembered for him willing the Knicks to a seminal victory in Utah on what turned out to be a broken foot at age 40. The Thomas-inspired win allowed the team to avoid an 0-5 West Coast trip and spurred a late-season streak. He never played again, and was not even seen around the team again as he went home to have surgery in Dallas before being waived.

?I didn?t like the way my last season ended,? Thomas said.

Thomas added ?the fans showed a lot of support? for playing in that game despite the pregame X-ray that showed a bone spur.

On Carmelo Anthony re-signing, Thomas said, ?I wasn?t surprised at all. Everyone I came across in traveling and here in Dallas was: ?What is Melo going to do?? I said, ?He?s going back to New York.? He loves it in New York. I didn?t see him in a different jersey.?