What is the problem?

Kiyaman

Legend
I think whoever is coaching will have very little impact... some... but not a lot when the FA's do their window shopping on 7th ave... I think when they look in the window and see one ball, n Me-Lo holding that ball, they hop in a cab for JFK...

LOL

The head coach has a lot to do with a team being considered a contender or pretender

petescud

Starter
2014 = wasted year

2015 Marc Gasol and Reggie Jackson come to Knicks....a few nice role players and we compete

tiger0330

Legend
2014 = wasted year

2015 Marc Gasol and Reggie Jackson come to Knicks....a few nice role players and we compete
Sorry Petescud but this is what Isola said in his column about Gasol, only reason for him to even think about coming to NYC is because the Spanish food is better...

Memphis center Marc Gasol is currently playing for the team with the best record in the NBA. Would the main free agent target of the Knicks really leave a contending team that can offer him the most money to join a club that can’t make the playoffs in the watered down Eastern Conference?

paris401

Starter
Sorry Petescud but this is what Isola said in his column about Gasol, only reason for him to even think about coming to NYC is because the Spanish food is better...

Memphis center Marc Gasol is currently playing for the team with the best record in the NBA. Would the main free agent target of the Knicks really leave a contending team that can offer him the most money to join a club that can’t make the playoffs in the watered down Eastern Conference?

espec one that has Me-Lo n JR on the team...

Broadway

All Star

Memphis center Marc Gasol is currently playing for the team with the best record in the NBA. Would the main free agent target of the Knicks really leave a contending team that can offer him the most money to join a club that can?t make the playoffs in the watered down Eastern Conference?

We're not getting both even if they're thinking of leaving their respective teams. OKC has rights to match and I think they learned their lesson on letting talent go, especially in spite of recent adversity they've endured.

Kiyaman

Legend
2014 = wasted year

2004 = wasted season "Im the best Guard in NBA"
2005 = wasted season "Delusional"
2006 = wasted season
2007 = wasted season
2008 = wasted season "2010 PLAN"
2009 = wasted season
2010 = wasted season (after deadline trade)
2011 = wasted season
2012 = Building with Old-Head veterans gave 54 wins, all departed leaving no team-growth
2013 = wasted season
2014 = O.K. I Agree, Dolan still running Knicks. $40M advance to Phil Jackson to play puppet for a wasted year.

I hope this is not the decade resume the Knicks has to show Mark Gasol and Reggie Jackson as a offer-sheet to sign in a greedy TAX racket NY state/city.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
The best solution to the Knicks problem lies in a trade with Boston Celtics getting three of the Celtics players who salary total are $24M.
The trio of Rondo/Green/Sullinger has a same-page chemistry to be very creative in a triangle-offense.
I dont know what players the Knicks give to Boston to make the trade, but whatever Knicks players the Knicks give to get the 3 Boston players will perform 100% better as Celtics than they are performing as Knicks ...dealing with Melo and partner JR bad decision-making.

Paul1355

All Star
This question does not have one answer. A team that is now 4-14 has multiple issues. Let's go with the most glaring ones:

1) Defense. There is no defense on this team from Fisher's inability to coach it to Amare and Hardaway executing it. If Kevin Martin is going to score 37 and if every one is going to keep having career nights against the Knicks then it shows more than just the lure of MSG causing players to play A level games. It shows that teams come in expecting to go off and they do because we don't know how to play defense. We don't defend the three and we let guys blow past us. Felton and Chandler don't look so bad anymore. This is the team we have, they don't know how to play defense, period.

2)The Bermuda Triangle- I call it this because I don't see it and it isn't working. The idea of a system that brought multiple rings is what pumped everyone, including myself, up for this season. "They couldn't possibly play worse in a proven winning system right?" Well they are playing worse and it amazes me. Either Fisher/Rambis can't teach the system or we don't have the guys for the system, namely our 2 guards.

3) The inability of our Shooting Guards- Shumpert is better than last year but that's not saying much, he went 3 for 13 tonight and either shows up or doesn't at all. He got demolished by Dwayne Wade which shows his defense is over rated. J.R Smith is still somehow throwing bricks, not driving, and has the same green light he did for Woodson, which is a terrible thing. Hardaway is by far the biggest surprise...he has been dreadful. We know his defense sucks but now he can't score and is hesitant. We have 3 guys that are headcases and inconsistent. All of them are ****y and think they are better than they are. All of them don't play to their strengths (Shump's physicality, J.R's driving ability, and Hardaway's aggression) all nonexistent this year.

4) Injuries- namely losing Jose Calderon put us behind. This team needs a legit PG and Calderon is the 2nd most valuable player on this team behind Melo. Calderon was fantastic against Dallas but we can't expect him to be a #2 scoring option. He is at best a #3 scoring option that gets the team involved. However his supporting cast can't score. If Melo is injured its an automatic loss, if any PG is hurt you can guarantee a loss.

5) Once again we live and die with our shooting. We almost beat Dallas because we were lights out from downtown...most teams that shoot like that from outside win, and we still lost. We are a jumpshooting team which means we are not an aggressive offensive team. An offensive strategy that lives and dies by jump shots will never win anything...it's a piss poor formula that is proving to make me shake my head in disbelief. Mike Dantoni, Woodson and now Fish live and die by 3 pointers. Fisher is more accustomed to the mid range which is slightly better but still has a dark cloud of hesitation.

This team needs to get blown up and we should look to next season. The only bright spots are that Melo is locked up for years, Calderon is a legit PG, we will get a great draft pick, and we have butt loads of cap space.

Hopefully someone agrees with me here. Thoughts?

Paul1355

All Star
2014 = wasted year

Calderon is the starter and Gasol will eat up a lot of cap space. It might be best to get a bunch of good quality players that know how to play on both ends of the floor. One or two guys won't fix this mess.

Paul1355

All Star
I think whoever is coaching will have very little impact... some... but not a lot when the FA's do their window shopping on 7th ave... I think when they look in the window and see one ball, n Me-Lo holding that ball, they hop in a cab for JFK...
LOL this did make me laugh but Melo should get no blame here. Melo is the only legit player on this team. Players are drawn to him because of his talent level. He has no one with him and everyone knows it. Calderon is a solid starting PG but not even close to levels of other guards. Players will be drawn here for the opportunity to build a new era with a franchise caliber player. Dreams and money.

paris401

Starter
This team needs to get blown up and we should look to next season. The only bright spots are that Melo is locked up for years, Calderon is a legit PG, we will get a great draft pick, and we have butt loads of cap space. Thoughts?

Me-Lo ..locked up for years... good or bad... I'm leaning towards bad... he has not shown that he can elevate the people around him...

calderon is an average point guard at best..

draft pick.. we should be up there with phila.. but they are a crap shoot..

as to cap space... see comment numero uno... is a gasol going to want to come to ny and play along side Me-Lo??.. I dunno.. there will be a lot of suitors, some that can pay him the same salary, along with having a better cast.. I vote no...

tiger0330

Legend
This question does not have one answer. A team that is now 4-14 has multiple issues. Let's go with the most glaring ones:

1) Defense. There is no defense on this team from Fisher's inability to coach it to Amare and Hardaway executing it. If Kevin Martin is going to score 37 and if every one is going to keep having career nights against the Knicks then it shows more than just the lure of MSG causing players to play A level games. It shows that teams come in expecting to go off and they do because we don't know how to play defense. We don't defend the three and we let guys blow past us. Felton and Chandler don't look so bad anymore. This is the team we have, they don't know how to play defense, period.

2)The Bermuda Triangle- I call it this because I don't see it and it isn't working. The idea of a system that brought multiple rings is what pumped everyone, including myself, up for this season. "They couldn't possibly play worse in a proven winning system right?" Well they are playing worse and it amazes me. Either Fisher/Rambis can't teach the system or we don't have the guys for the system, namely our 2 guards.

3) The inability of our Shooting Guards- Shumpert is better than last year but that's not saying much, he went 3 for 13 tonight and either shows up or doesn't at all. He got demolished by Dwayne Wade which shows his defense is over rated. J.R Smith is still somehow throwing bricks, not driving, and has the same green light he did for Woodson, which is a terrible thing. Hardaway is by far the biggest surprise...he has been dreadful. We know his defense sucks but now he can't score and is hesitant. We have 3 guys that are headcases and inconsistent. All of them are ****y and think they are better than they are. All of them don't play to their strengths (Shump's physicality, J.R's driving ability, and Hardaway's aggression) all nonexistent this year.

4) Injuries- namely losing Jose Calderon put us behind. This team needs a legit PG and Calderon is the 2nd most valuable player on this team behind Melo. Calderon was fantastic against Dallas but we can't expect him to be a #2 scoring option. He is at best a #3 scoring option that gets the team involved. However his supporting cast can't score. If Melo is injured its an automatic loss, if any PG is hurt you can guarantee a loss.

5) Once again we live and die with our shooting. We almost beat Dallas because we were lights out from downtown...most teams that shoot like that from outside win, and we still lost. We are a jumpshooting team which means we are not an aggressive offensive team. An offensive strategy that lives and dies by jump shots will never win anything...it's a piss poor formula that is proving to make me shake my head in disbelief. Mike Dantoni, Woodson and now Fish live and die by 3 pointers. Fisher is more accustomed to the mid range which is slightly better but still has a dark cloud of hesitation.

This team needs to get blown up and we should look to next season. The only bright spots are that Melo is locked up for years, Calderon is a legit PG, we will get a great draft pick, and we have butt loads of cap space.

Hopefully someone agrees with me here. Thoughts?
Nice post Paul. Agree with most of what you wrote except for the bright spot being signing Melo to his long term deal. I like Melo but signing a 30 year old to a near max deal for the next 5 years I think was the wrong move, sign a 25 year old to a max deal not someone at his age. His reported knee pain and back spasms maybe the first signs of age, miles and wear and tear setting in.

Paul1355

All Star
I know what you mean about Melo but without him we would be winless with Philly and no free agent would want to come here since we would have no one. Melos injuries might be signs but it shows he plays super hard and if he had more help I don't think his injuries would be as frequent. He plays more than he should because thus team stinks

tiger0330

Legend
I know what you mean about Melo but without him we would be winless with Philly and no free agent would want to come here since we would have no one. Melos injuries might be signs but it shows he plays super hard and if he had more help I don't think his injuries would be as frequent. He plays more than he should because thus team stinks
I said that about him in that Melo thread, plays with pain unlike DRose. Glad we got Melo instead of Rose.

paris401

Starter
I said that about him in that Melo thread, plays with pain unlike DRose. Glad we got Melo instead of Rose.

I dunno.. rose has 2 more years at 41m... Me-Lo.. 4more at 105m (give or take a few)... rose is a bit younger.. tough choice... but I'd opt for rose...

Wargames

Starter
http://www.tankathon.com/

It could just be an intentional tank. In the grand scheme of things there is nothing to gain by this teams struggle roster making it to the playoffs. If the knicks keep this up there is no reason they shouldn't get a great pick. When you consider that after this season the team is going to be rebuilt to win. It makes sense in the long term (and possibly the short term as well) to add to the roster through the draft. Especially because the triangle excels with two bigs and even shedding all their salaries the knicks can only afford 1 through FA.

Kiyaman

Legend
Did anyone see last night game vs Nets in the Garden?

we down by 3, melo get the defensive-rebound, dribble past the halfcourt line with 13 seconds left in the game, and dont call time-out so the coach could design a play.

Melo dont call time-out!
Melo decides to take the shot!
Who is the coach of this team? isnt this the coaches decision?

paris401

Starter
we down by 3, melo get the defensive-rebound, dribble past the halfcourt line with 13 seconds left in the game, and dont call time-out so the coach could design a play.

Melo dont call time-out!
Melo decides to take the shot!
Who is the coach of this team? isnt this the coaches decision?

Me-Lo was hellbent that the last shot was his... remember a few games ago... few seconds left, ball inbounded to jr... Me-Lo calling for ball, but jr takes the last shot n hits nuthin.. Me-Lo was not letting that happen again...

NYKnickas

Rookie
Our issue is a lack of defense, a cast that is not built for the triangle system and a lack of confidence amongst each otheras well as themselves

tiger0330

Legend

Berman wrote the Knicks themselves don't think they can sign Gasol and get this they don't think tanking is an option because they have to make the playoffs to appeal to Aldridge or KLove. PJ better have plan C ready because AB ain't working.

New York Post

SPORTS

Knicks likely to whiff on Marc Gasol — is Okafor new hope?

By Marc Berman

December 4, 2014 | 9:07pm

knicks1.jpg

Marc Gasol and Jahlil OkaforPhoto: AP; Getty Images

The Knicks are closer to landing Duke center Jahlil Okafor in the draft than they are to landing Memphis center Marc Gasol in free agency, according to an NBA source.
As the Knicks plummet to the bottom of the league, a source told The Post the club doesn’t believe its chances are too good of landing the Grizzlies stud center with their 2015 cap space — not that Knicks president Phil Jackson won’t try like mad.
Filling the center position in the triangle will be the top priority this offseason as the Knicks can lose all of their big men because of expiring contracts. It’s unlikely the Knicks will re-sign any except perhaps Cole Aldrich.
okafor.jpg
Jahlil OkaforPhoto: AP

Gasol is thriving in Memphis, having a career year in a city he has said nice things about. The Grizzlies own the second-best record in the NBA at 15-3 and Gasol is averaging 19.4 points per game and eight rebounds, becoming the best center in the game. (He has a bruised knee and is questionable for Friday.) Memphis can give an extra year — and extra $30 million — on a max deal.
The Knicks’ lone edge is Gasol is best friends with point guard Jose Calderon, his teammate on Spain’s national team.
While the Knicks, who lost 90-87 to the Cavaliers Thursday night at the Garden, were confident they would land LeBron James entering 2010 free agency, they realize the odds are against them for Gasol. If he leaves Memphis, he likely will choose a title contender, not the woebegone Knicks.
It’s why Knicks management believes tanking is not an option and having a good record, a playoff team and Carmelo Anthony are keys to convincing 2015 free agents — such as LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love — to sign with the team. Aldridge plays the Garden Sunday while Love scored 11 points and grabbed 11 rebounds Thursday night.
Suddenly, with the Sixers finally getting off the schneid, it’s not out of the realm for the Knicks to finish with the NBA’s worst record. The 1-17 Sixers, incredibly, are just two games behind the Knicks (4-16) after recording their first victory in Minnesota Wednesday night.
With his wingspan and gifted low-post play, Okafor, cousin of NBA veteran Emeka Okafor, is widely considered the top pick in the 2015 draft. There could be other strong center prospects who follow Okafor in the draft, including Kentucky freshman Karl Towns and Kansas freshman Cliff Alexander.
Getting the No. 1 pick isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It has been 10 years — Orlando and Dwight Howard in 2004 — since the top lottery seed won the first pick.
The team with the worst record has a 25 percent chance of winning the lottery and a 64 percent chance of landing in the top 3. The Knicks have the second-worst record in the NBA.

FILED UNDER

Last edited: