'Melo & Amar'e call out JR SMith & I-Shump: Knicks losers b/c SG duo are failures

mafra

Legend
'Melo & Amar'e call out JR SMith & I-Shump: Knicks losers b/c SG duo are failures

th
th
th
th
th
th

What happened this season: The answer is simple: our doofusly-inept SG duo of Smith-Shump... that's what happened. And, the definition of insanity: repeating a pattern, expecting alternate results.

Amar'e's comments are an indictment on JR-Shump... who else are his comments aimed at? THEY ARE DIRECTED STRAIGHT AT THE COMMITTMENT & PROFESSIONALISM of that duo. WHY? Because both are too talented to be performing at their current level the last 2 seasons.

"At this point I think we just got to look ourselves in the mirror and see if we're putting forth the effort that we need to win,"Stoudemire said. "We got to take it upon ourselves to see if we're getting ourselves prepared for the game or having the right mentality to play a game at a high level." (ESPN)

“He has his opinion,’’ Anthony said. “Sometimes we go out there and it’s like we don’t want to be out there. We’re not giving effort like we’re supposed to. As leader of the team, he had the right to step up to the plate.’’ (NY Post)

– Iman Shumpert is in a definite slump. He was 3-for-13 vs. Miami after going 9-for-30 on the three-game Southwest trip. But Shumpert also brought a rare scowl to Fisher’s face vs. Miami when he gambled for a steal against Dwyane Wade, who rambled past him for an easy deuce. Late in the game, Wade ripped an offensive rebound out of the fellow Chicagoan’s hands. Yes, the shooting guard malaise – with J.R. Smith playing erratically, too – is major trouble. (NY Post)

WOW and wowwowowwowow, to hear these comments after what occurred last year.

----------------
First, let’s look at the center position. Last year we had an injured and then an un-motivated Tyson Chandler. Chandler had issues in his personal life, and after that Game-6 loss in Indy… ‘Melo and TC had beef and something came between the two. Not that it was an irreparable rift, but after the injury and then the slow start, and the losing, there was just no returning. I can’t blame PJ for trading TC, and you see it this year… how TC is playing, that he simply quite on the team last year.

This season, Daly is really limited. And his heart and passion has always been an issue and a question mark. TC was competitive and wanted to win and loved playing hoops. Daly has the heart of Edy Curry , and that’s not a good thing. He’s OK, and for the price, he is serviceable… but he is limited, and merely a role player.

Other than that, the closest thing we have to a center is playing in DEN. The MOZ. So, the Knicks have no C, and that is a bad thing when you are asking guys like STAT, Anthony, Smith, and Acy to be the PF.
--------------------
Now let’s look at the PG position. We’ve been trying to find a PG since we drafted Mark Jackson and Rod Strickland, and then dealt them both… Ward was serviceable, but other than that… Geez, raise your hand if you recall a legit PG. We had a Marbury spurt… but since then…eck.

The pin-pongs teased us… revenge of Ewing… by dangling bothRussell Westbrook and Steph Curry in front of our bulging eyes -- RW went 2 picks ahead of Gallo and Curry went 1 pick ahead of Hill – in 2008 and 2009. Donnie Walsh’s lone responsibility was to find an all-star PG to run D’antoni’s system, which would entice Lebron to come aboard. HE FAILED. Trading Crawford and Randolph for nothing, and passing on Jennings and Lawson didn’t help either.

When ‘Melo arrived, we looked unbeatable when we good-to-quality PG play. 2 years ago, with Kidd and a pretty good Felton more often than naught, we were a 50-win squad and #2 seed. We were 1 game away from forcing a game-7, in our house, to play in Conf Finals. Indy shot about 25 more FTs than us, the notion of verticality was born, and we barely lost a close battle.

Last year, without KIDD, and Felton going thru a divorce and legal issues, we had the worst PG play in the NBA. Scouts said there were about 20 backups and 10 college PGs better than ours.

Anyway, this is why I had hopes for this season. I felt the addition of Calderon was going to be H-U-G-E… Why? Because when ‘Melo gets slightly above average PG play… his teams have proven to be forces to be reckoned with. Calderon didn’t need to be great, just be himself… which was a big upgrade over what we had last year. Unfortunately, he got hurt and missed 15 games… This allowed the losing to seep in… and that mentality to resurface. IF HE WERE HERE… we easily are 8-9, or something, instead of 4-13.

Larkin is basically a rookie and Priggs is on his last legs…Both are nothing more than backup, serviceable, role players. So, in essence, KNICKS had no PG for the first ? of the season.
---------------
MOVING on to the SF/PF spots… Our team basically is comprised of about 8 players that fit this role. Melo, Acy, Amar’e, Smith, Bargnani, Wear, Aldrich, Early. This is the strength of our team… but only 1 is a star (Melo) and 1 playing at a “high” level (Amar’e). The other guys just offer energy and grit and we are happy when they contribute anything. However, I don’t think the problem is our Forwards. If we had better guards, and a C, this would be fine enough of a unit to contend for a title.
---------------
ALL OF THIS BRINGS ME BACK TO where I began… THE SG is the biggest problem this year.

Why?

B/C we had an injury at the PG spot and we lack talent at the C spot… The SGs were supposed to pick up the slack and help carry the load… Be a bridge until Calderon returned, and the trading deadline arrived.
JR was going to be more like 2012 than the 2013 version, and a healthy Shump playing for a contract was going to make that jump...

This means JR Smith and I-Shumpert are to blame, and are the sole culprits behind our losing... We expect much more from them b/c they have LEGIT NBA talent. I understand they are inconsistent, b/c if they were consistent they would be above average to almost-all-star caliber players. BUT... this is more than that... thy are consistently disappointing.

When JR Smith was 6[SUP]th[/SUP]-man of Year two years ago, he averaged 18 ppg. Now he is averaging 9! NINE!Half the production! He is shooting 27% from downtown. He also averaged 5 rpg, and now that is down to 2. This is all about heart and effort baby.

Then there is Shumpert. He is about the same as he was 2 years ago stat-wise, but his defense has declined… And he’s failed to make that leap we were hoping for from the finally-healthy-4[SUP]th[/SUP]-year player. He was the wild card… could he become a #3 option, to pair with Calderonand Amar’e, to take the load off Melo? We hoped... but.... vedict is now in: NOPE. He has floundered when we needed him most.

The first 20 games is evident of who JR and Shump are. They are no-show players when it counts. They are Mr. Afternoon guys, who dominate the gym at noon but disappear when the second half arrives.

They cannot be a #3 option on a contending team, they will not produce in the clutch when playoffs arrive…

If JR and Shump averaged 15 ppg, consistently poured in 30 combined points and 10 rpg, with some assists and steals… Knicks would be golden right now.They flopped and let the team down.

STAT’s and Melo’s comments are eye openers. It’s one thing to just not be able to do it b/c you lack the talent, or because you fail to live up to the talent… but in their respective cases… JR and Shump have failed the team b/c of mentality and preparation. Melo and Stat know this b/c the are there everyday d see the work that's put in, or not in this case. To me, that is unacceptable. This means both should (and will be) traded the moment PJ is able. If I have to, I cut JR.

Give THjr and Early the minutes and see if they can have a role moving fwd. Woodson might have destroyed Shump, or maybe the injury, or maybe JR… Either way, get something while you can and be done with it.

Since we have already fallen ten below .500, and since we know this team has no heart to battle back from adversity… Take a page out ofthe SA playbook…

- Do not push ‘Melo this season.
- Find out who has will/heart and will be here next year.
- Give minutes/experience to the kids and allow for the keepable assets to learn the Triangle system
- Race LA, PHI, CHAR and whoever to the NBA lottery jackpot.
- Make trades thinking about future… Amar’e, Bargnani, Shump should return something.

As REAL Knick fans, we should be on board with this,encourage it, and see the start to this season as a blessing. A lottery pick and cap space will put us in a great position next season, to go with more cap space the year after that. Most importantly, the guys who care more about being known as an NBA player than about winning… guys who want to make albums and go clubbing over battling in MIL on a Tuesday night… clear and sanitize the locker room… Let Fisher and PJ instill their mentality… B/c this is all about 2015 and beyond.

Perchance to dream... maybe we land Okafor or the next Duncan?

iman.jpg

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It will be interesting what they do with Shump. I see teams offering 3 year MLE money to him more than his 3.6M qualifying offer so we'll have to match or lose him. He's been up down this year on both sides of the ball so unless he shows more consistency the rest of the year the Knicks may part company with Iman.

skisloper

Starter
It will be interesting what they do with Shump. I see teams offering 3 year MLE money to him more than his 3.6M qualifying offer so we'll have to match or lose him. He's been up down this year on both sides of the ball so unless he shows more consistency the rest of the year the Knicks may part company with Iman.

Shump and JR or JR and Hardaway will be packaged together in a trade......We at this point do not need to keep any of the, ( JR a given )....after watching last night Shump vanished defensively in the 4th....he was in to stop dwayne wade yet Shump made the same mistakes over and over........

We should start Prigs and Calderon together.....Last night the " System : worked and Melo followed it the entire night....he had easy shots and when he had to create his own show it was easy for him to do.....Last night was the first game where I saw Melo look a winner and his teammates look like crap....anyone else find it nuts that 2 of Calderons best career rebounding games have happenned in his few games as a knick,,,,,If Calderon needs to get the rebounds that something Big is missing.......

Kiyaman

Legend
Last season Melo average 44 minute playing time in the Knicks first 61 games (21-40).
Which made Melo the most minute played player in the league.

The Knicks are 4-14 (JUST) like last season, b/c the team are doing the same thing as last season.
Carmelo Anthony are playing the same role as last-season .. never running straight down court after opponent score, always "trying" to play the role as PG or SG on offense by standing on the perimeter by the foul-line (never picking or screening for teammates), but always begging for the ball on the perimeter like he's the SG. Especially when we have 3 guards in the lineup with one Big as center (Tyson or Dally), and Melo at the PF, playing the role of a guards on offense.
Melo slow running back on defense has always gave opposition the chance to run the SSOL offense.

There was no uptempo transition in the Knicks performance last-season, and there's no uptempo performance in the 4-14 Knicks. The Knicks first 36 minutes of a game (3 qtr.), Melo average 30 minute of playing time within the 36 minute.
Melo type of performance has never been a uptempo-running player, Melo has always been a slow-ball half-court offensive player with a great jump shot under pressure.

The Knicks never tried to beat their opponents down court to score last season under Woodson, nor did the Knicks have success in scoring when on a 3 on 2.
And it's the same way this season under Phil Jackson coach Fisher.
Coach Woodson ran a 3 guard lineup throughout a 48 minute game resulting in a 37 win season.
Coach Fisher run a 3 guard lineup throughout a 48 minute game resulting in a 4-14 record.
Coach Kerr for GS run a 3 guard running uptempo offense for 24 minute a game to have a 14-2 record.

The Knicks do have running uptempo guards to push the ball in Calderon, Shump, and our D.League PG-Larkin for a 5 minute stretch to run opponents tired from playing defense.
These uptempo guards never have a chance to push the ball in a uptempo offense, bc Melo or JR will take the point spot to walk the ball up-court as if they are the PG. Melo & JR actually does this when the Knicks have 2 PG in the lineup.

If the Knicks are going to play a slow-ball half-court offense throughout a 48 minute game like the Championship Spurs, then the Knicks must have a trio or tandem big frontline lineup to substitute like the Spurs 6 BIG rotation .. Duncan, Splitter, Bonner, Diaw, Ayres, plus the 6.8 MVP SF Kawhi Leonard who average 15 pts, 7 rbs, 2 steals, and take just 11 shots per game. Duncan, Ginobli, Parker bowed-out to give the Championship MVP to Leonard.
Melo has never did that in a regular season game, which takes away any optimism in the 2016 FA market.

mafra

Legend
Great point on 'Melo. I was wavering on the worth of re-signing him, but figured it was probably worth doing... only to see what we could build around him summer of '15. If we fail to attract anybody legitimate, I seriously hope we approach 'Melo about accepting a trade.

I am hoping that Calderon & PJ enough to lure Gasol and more, and then get Kobe to finish career here in 2016. Who knows.

BUT... this is why tanking this year is muito importante. We need a future building block or risk stinking for another 5 years. Also, remember... No way PHI drafts another C. So, as long as we get a top-5... we are set. If we end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick, we should get our future C.

Kiyaman

Legend
What does JR mean to the Knicks?
Is JR inconsistent 40% shooting worth $6M per?
Is JR defense worth $6M per?
Is JR antics worth $6M per?
If your answer to each question start with the letter N then O, then why do the Knicks hold on to him?

JR is Melo 9 year teammate-partner who for some unknown reason coach Woodson took under his wing personally as if JR was a star rookie.

When Melo & JR stop Amare from averaging his postseason career 24 pts, 10 rb, 2 blk, on 52% fg in 2011 playoff.
On the real .. I thought Amare was gonna find a owner to trade for his $60M contract after the "fire-extinguisher" incident.
Amare anger cool down fast when he found out he could get full-pay the next season for playing less than 30 games.
Amare didn't have to follow the team on road trips or be at every home game with a "back-injury" during 2012-13 season.
Lets not forget owner Dolan must have BIG name players, head-coach, manager to keep ticket prices high, and tourist filling the seats.

paris401

Starter
luv or hate a'mare, he plays little 'D' , that's a given..BUT he is prob the best conditioned guy on the team, plays hard all the time... but with bad ..bad knees, n a past balky back is limited... I think on a good team... (spurs for instance), coming off the bench, playing on a 'team' with a defined role...I'd take him in a heart beat... ok he wouldn't get paid 22m, but lets see where he ends up next year.... he mite just surprise..

mafra

Legend
luv or hate a'mare, he plays little 'D' , that's a given..BUT he is prob the best conditioned guy on the team, plays hard all the time... but with bad ..bad knees, n a past balky back is limited... I think on a good team... (spurs for instance), coming off the bench, playing on a 'team' with a defined role...I'd take him in a heart beat... ok he wouldn't get paid 22m, but lets see where he ends up next year.... he mite just surprise..

Amare was the first to come to NY. He was an MVP type player the first season. Not his fault idiot NYK brain trust too stupid to use amnesty provision on him... He got Hurt but worked hard to get back on the court.

amare h?s accepted every role asked of him... A model teammate. Cares about wins and loses. Accountable.

geez. What not to like, right?

Kiyaman

Legend
Great point on 'Melo. I was wavering on the worth of re-signing him, but figured it was probably worth doing... only to see what we could build around him summer of '15. If we fail to attract anybody legitimate, I seriously hope we approach 'Melo about accepting a trade.

I am hoping that Calderon & PJ enough to lure Gasol and more, and then get Kobe to finish career here in 2016. Who knows.

BUT... this is why tanking this year is muito importante. We need a future building block or risk stinking for another 5 years. Also, remember... No way PHI drafts another C. So, as long as we get a top-5... we are set. If we end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick, we should get our future C.

Players Amare, Shump, and Dally are signing with the next team in offseason.

If the Knicks keep the roster they have now till the end of the season, in the offseason Knicks will need to sign 3 vet starters for next season .. a center, PF, SG.
I still believe the Knicks first priority are signing Rondo leadership/athleticism to build a team around Melo.

Calderon is a great backup PG.
THJ will turn out to be a decent backup SG.
Wear need playing time this season to be a decent backup SF.
Jason Smith is a project.
Cole Aldrich need playing time this season to be a decent backup center.

Tanking for a low pick is not the solution, when star FA are looking for $$$ n contenders.
Maybe the Knicks need to stop giving away future first round draft picks.

mafra

Legend
yep ..we have a 1st pick this year, next year we do not...

This is why I am finally ALL-IN in the perennial NYK motto of 'next year.' They sold us that since 2008, and now even hint at 2016 (Summer of Durant).

It's more important to snag a future asset/piece in the next draft than to wish for the 6-8 seed.

Maybe we strike gold and net OKAFOR. But, even the 8th pick could land us a good player.

AND we do have a 2nd round pick (according to mock drafts). 1 even has Frank 'the tank' Kaminksy going 1 pick ahead of us in the 2nd round. Imagine getting Okafor and Kaminsky! We would have 2 corner pieces, perfectly suited for the triangle.

Both are lethal on the block, can pass, possess high BBALL IQ, and have a sweet-smooth touch. Kaminsky stretches the floor and can bang down the 3.

Toss in Marc Gasol and Rondo or Dragic, then sprinkle in Kobe in 2016 (or Durant)... and now we have a dynasty!

Hey guys! I haven't been around here in a min, can't say that I blame peeps for not showing up right now....it's depressing to say the least.

From my observations...what makes the Knicks suck is a lack of chemistry, and playing in the biggest pressure cooker in all of sports (The Garden). I can?t imagine any team being successful when the teams staff/coaches/GM?s/and players hardly get to spend quality time with each other. Not only did the Knicks have to play under several systems for over the last decade?they were constantly changing up the coach and roster (and not just one or two players).

Now couple that with the pressures of playing in the Big Apple, the world?s biggest stage in sports, probably the largest paparazzi, and where thirsty fans occasionally appear more knowledgeable than the team?s brass. I believe much of the blame falls on the ownership. The team has been operating in a state of panic for a while now. We haven?t kept or built up any of our draft picks since Ewing. For years it was either this ?win now? mentality or rebuild from scratch?neither worked but is still being practiced. We had/have talent but never had the quality time to mold the talent into an Identity. Winners have to be familiar with the coach?s ways, philosophies, plays and expectations. Winners have to be familiar with their teammate?s tendencies, their weaknesses, and their strengths. None of the great Celtic/Lakers/Bulls/Spurs teams won chips without being on the same page as their coaches and teammates.

Don?t expect the knicks to go anywhere until we have at least 3 or 4 core guys/definite starters, players that will bring their all because they know they will be there for the long haul. The knicks business plans sometimes seem like they are in this solely for selling tickets, Jerseys and advertisements.

We always pushed the panic button and kept the revolving door spinning. You will never be a true contender/winner if you?re a frightened gambler and show little loyalty. Now we have Philly Jack on deck?if we fail with him in the house?the league should consider doing something drastic about the Knicks ownership (imo). Until the Knicks settle down with a core group and build around that group?no FA or Rookie is going to take this organization serious. They will always be distracted by trade rumors and a Hangry (hungry+angry) fan base. Hard to win or feel inspired when dealing with those factors. Guys will just come here to cash large checks hoping they will end up traded to a team with a winning culture. As of now?the NY Knicks is a team you come to when you want to get your trade value up, market your skill set, showcase young talent for other teams to use in their pursuits for a championship. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
*sigh*
goes back into hiding...