Knicks cleaning house...trade JR Smith and Shumpert

Reported 3-Way Trade with Cavs and OKC - JR and Shump No Longer Knicks

The big news from tonight's game versus Memphis is apparently JR Smith and Shump are no longer Knicks. The Knicks involved in a 3-way trade with Cleveland and OKC that sees us shedding JR Smith (who has a player option for next year) and Shump (who would be a free agent at the end of the year). Trade also appears to involve Cleveland's Dion Waiters, however what we are getting in return is the shedding of JR's contract and some non-guaranteed contracts, not Reggie Jackson as originally reported. We may also be getting Cleveland's 2nd round draft pick.

Here is a link with some available information:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...cks-cleveland-cavaliers-oklahoma-city-thunder

Also, report is that we did in fact waive Dalembert today.

Last edited:
People said it couldn't be done, but PJ found the someone, anyone and the somehow, any how, to undo the past front office mistake and get JR and his 6 plus million dollar player option for next year off the books. Shump was gone at the end of the year and I think his latest injury made it impossible for us to get any real assets for him in return.

Kiyaman

Legend
Shump & JR skills/talents are 10 time better than Waiters .. center Alex Kirk and Amundson, along with Oklahoma City's Lance Thomas, are going to the Knicks with a future Cavs second-round pick.

Phil Jackson is a idiot. He didn't get a first round pick for Tyson, nor Shump.
Plus waiving Dally .. the only decent player we got out of the Mavs trade.

Shump & JR skills/talents are 10 time better than Waiters .. center Alex Kirk and Amundson, along with Oklahoma City's Lance Thomas, are going to the Knicks with a future Cavs second-round pick.

Phil Jackson is a idiot. He didn't get a first round pick for Tyson, nor Shump.

The time to trade Shump for a 1st round pick was last year before the deadline, but our front office didn't pull the trigger. The options for PJ were try to get a 1st rounder for Shump, who is not playing because of injury right now, or use Shump to get JR's player option off our team for next year. I think he made the only choice he could. We now have over 30 million in cap space for next year.

tiger0330

Legend
What I'm hearing is the Knicks aren't taking back any salary beyond this year so any guys we get have contracts that end this year. We supposedly are going to waive any players we get a get a draft pick(s). If PJ could swing another 1st round pick that would be great but I'm betting its a couple of second round picks.

What I'm hearing is the Knicks aren't taking back any salary beyond this year so any guys we get have contracts that end this year. We supposedly are going to waive any players we get a get a draft pick(s). If PJ could swing another 1st round pick that would be great but I'm betting its a couple of second round picks.

I read just one 2nd round pick and that belonged to Cleveland. Honestly, the more I read about the potential details of this deal, the more I'm not sure what value OKC offered that is getting them Waiters in return.

We get Lou Amundson and Alex Kirk from Cleveland and Lance Thomas from OKC as well as 2019 2nd round pick from Cleveland. All players we could potentially waive. Clearly, the only value in this trade for us is 6 plus more million dollars in cap space for next year and that's it.

Kiyaman

Legend
The time to trade Shump for a 1st round pick was last year before the deadline, but our front office didn't pull the trigger. The options for PJ were try to get a 1st rounder for Shump, who is not playing because of injury right now, or use Shump to get JR's player option off our team for next year. I think he made the only choice he could. We now have over 30 million in cap space for next year.

Cap for what?
u didnt get the memo .. winning NBA players dont want a $124M ball-hogger teammate.
Look at Phil Jackson Gurl-friend in LA
The Lakers tank last season to draft 6.9 Randal, plus Lakers had plenty cap room in the offseason to sign star FA Lebron, Melo, or Bosh to go with ($25M per) ballhogger Kobe Bryant.
The only FA that took the Lakers money was Boozer.
The Lakers were so desperate they traded for LinSanity final year contract of $15M.

Cap for what?
u didnt get the memo .. winning NBA players dont want a $124M ball-hogger teammate.
Look at Phil Jackson Gurl-friend in LA
The Lakers tank last season to draft 6.9 Randal, plus Lakers had plenty cap room in the offseason to sign star FA Lebron, Melo, or Bosh to go with ($25M per) ballhogger Kobe Bryant.
The only FA that took the Lakers money was Boozer.
The Lakers were so desperate they traded for LinSanity final year contract of $15M.

I got the memo. Guys like Joakim Noah recruited their guts out to try to get Melo this offseason. Paul Pierce says Melo is the hardest player to defend in the NBA. You guys are wrong that no one wants to play with him. Plenty of guys want to play with him, they just don't want to have to play for us to do it. The Lakers problem was different. No one wants to play with farewell tour Kobe and that's a fact.

skisloper

Starter
I read just one 2nd round pick and that belonged to Cleveland. Honestly, the more I read about the potential details of this deal, the more I'm not sure what value OKC offered that is getting them Waiters in return.

Basically the Dallas deal will cost us 4 million a year extra then if we just kept felton.....so is Calderon worth that 4 million or extra or is he tradeable at the 7 million per for the next 3.....

we also could have as Kiya said kept chandler and then traded him for an expiring and a pick....

we did get early out of the dallas deal and larkin....

At this point 100% had to get rid of JR and Shump was the only way to do it......

If PJ wants to get rid of Calderon the only way will be to throw Hardaway in the mix and i would bet thats the next trade we see.....

I am sure come playoff time someone will absorb prigs and this will mean we will go into next season with 2 players on the books.....

MELO and Early........with 40 million to spend and being a lottery pick team......
I think it is only at that time can we say PHIL Messed up or not.....I do see the mistakes and what could have done better but this is what we got.......................

so I say again we end with Melo, early, 40 million and a lottery pick.....anyone disagree ?

Basically the Dallas deal will cost us 4 million a year extra then if we just kept felton.....so is Calderon worth that 4 million or extra or is he tradeable at the 7 million per for the next 3.....

we also could have as Kiya said kept chandler and then traded him for an expiring and a pick....

we did get early out of the dallas deal and larkin....

At this point 100% had to get rid of JR and Shump was the only way to do it......

If PJ wants to get rid of Calderon the only way will be to throw Hardaway in the mix and i would bet thats the next trade we see.....

I am sure come playoff time someone will absorb prigs and this will mean we will go into next season with 2 players on the books.....

MELO and Early........with 40 million to spend and being a lottery pick team......
I think it is only at that time can we say PHIL Messed up or not.....I do see the mistakes and what could have done better but this is what we got.......................

so I say again we end with Melo, early, 40 million and a lottery pick.....anyone disagree ?

Calderon is definitely tradeable at 7 million per season, but PJ won't do it, he loves Calderon.

tiger0330

Legend
We get Lou Amundson and Alex Kirk from Cleveland and Lance Thomas from OKC as well as 2019 2nd round pick from Cleveland. All players we could potentially waive. Clearly, the only value in this trade for us is 6 plus more million dollars in cap space for next year and that's it.
I just read that ESPN article, that pick is in 2019 so that's no help. Looks like PJ is going to make a couple of guys very wealthy this off season, probably going to overpay for Dragic and he's hoping he can pull the strings to get Gasol here.

I just read that ESPN article, that pick is in 2019 so that's no help. Looks like PJ is going to make a couple of guys very wealthy this off season, probably going to overpay for Dragic and he's hoping he can pull the strings to get Gasol here.

No one wanted Gasol here more than me, but if PJ can swing signing him and get Dragic too, I'd be in shock this offseason.

I guess it goes without saying that a huge part of this trade is also luxury tax savings, as they are now discussing during the 4th quarter of tonight's Memphis game.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think anyone said JR is untradeable they said you would have to send draft picks or Shump with him which is what PJ did. Supposedly they asked LBJ if he could play with him, I guess he said yes.