Meet the mystery French pick set to crash Knicks? summer league

mafra

Legend
http://nypost.com/2015/03/17/the-backstory-of-knicks-athletic-under-the-radar-french-pick/

Knicks owner James Dolan never spent $1.5 million so quietly.

It was past midnight, after Phil Jackson had made his first two draft picks as team president last June 26, having already taken Cleanthony Early at No. 34 and Thanasis Antetokounmpo at 51.

Suddenly came the announcement the Pacers had traded their only pick of the draft ? at 57 ? to the Knicks for cash considerations. The Knicks selected 6-foot-10 Louis Labeyrie of France.

Who? What? Where?

There?s still some shred of mystery about this French ?stash?? pick, but it is San Antonio-esque ? a tactic coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford have pulled off with championship success for the Spurs, who visit the Garden Tuesday night.

Jackson has yet to comment publicly on Labeyrie, but The Post has learned the sum of the transaction, according to an NBA source, was $1.5 million.

The Knicks will only say they hope to see Labeyrie play for their summer-league team in Las Vegas in July. His agent, Bouna Ndiaye, told The Post Monday night: ?It?s 100 percent definite he will.??

The $1.5 million would seem a high sum for the 57th pick. However, not when you consider that in 2009, the Knicks gave Jackson?s Lakers $3 million to acquire Toney Douglas ? who was due a three-year guaranteed contract ? with the last pick in the first round.

The 23-year-old Labeyrie has spent this season playing off the bench for Paris Levallois of the French League.

During their stop in Utah on the Knicks? recent trip, young 7-foot-2 Frenchman shotblocking center Rudy Gobert, who is emerging as a stud, spoke glowingly and excitedly about Labeyrie in a quick interview with The Post.

Gobert shares the same agent as Labeyrie, and the two played together on the French 20-and-under national team.
?He wants to play in the NBA and I know he can, I don?t know if it can be next season, but maybe, yeah,?? Gobert said. ?I haven?t talked to him about it yet. He?s more of a power forward than center, though. He?s not a center.

?He?s athletic and can drive and can shoot. I think he?d like to be in New York. I was happy for him.??

The Knicks have been very low-key about Labeyrie, perhaps because they didn?t want to bring up the obvious French connection. In arguably the worst draft selection in Knicks history, former GM Ed Tapscott selected 7-2 center Frederic Weis over Ron Artest at No. 15 in 1999. Weis never played a game in the NBA, and retired in 2011.

Ndiaye says Knicks European scout Kevin Wilson has followed his client for three years.

?He?s a combo of size, athleticism and energy with a very nice outside shot,?? said Ndiaye, who also represents Portland French star Nicolas Batum. ?They must think he?s good fit for the system, which is for combos. He?s a combo 3-4.?

Labeyrie recently signed a one-year extension, as his three-year deal with his French League team was to expire in July. The Knicks would have to buy out the final year if they want him next season.

?He?ll get a chance to expose his talent against NBA players and then we?ll see,?? Ndiaye said.

Ndiaye said veteran foreign players in the French League get the bulk of playing time. As such, Labeyrie is only averaging 16.2 minutes, 5.4 points and 3.4 rebounds on 50 percent shooting through 41 games.

Still, the Knicks want to see him in Vegas and go from there.

In a span of 10 minutes last June, Jackson thought of the future, of two ?stash players?? in Labeyrie and Antetokounmpo, whom the Zen Master originally envisioned playing in Europe before he convinced Antetokounmpo to take much less money to play for the new D-League franchise in Westchester to learn the triangle.

The draft theory certainly has worked in San Antonio.

CoolClyde

<<Knicks European scout Kevin Wilson has followed his client for three years>>

this is the scout who brought Chris Copeland and Pablo Prigioni from overseas, so props to him for recognizing talent.

let's hope the french labia is not as big a p*ssy as Andrea Bargnani.

tiger0330

Legend
Bench player in the French League, please. Knicks need all the help they can get but the odds of a 23 year old bench player playing against the weak competition in the French League helping the Knicks is a stretch.

6'10" 210 pounds, dude is skinny as a rail. No way he plays against NBA fours, dude needs to add 30 pounds.

170804881.0.jpg

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Bench player in the French League, please. Knicks need all the help they can get but the odds of a 23 year old bench player playing against the weak competition in the French League helping the Knicks is a stretch.

6'10" 210 pounds, dude is skinny as a rail. No way he plays against NBA fours, dude needs to add 30 pounds.

View attachment 571

I liked what Rudy Gobert had to say about his countryman...HUGE vote of confidence...NOT! My bad shouldn't have asked the question I did. It was a cash consideration transaction for a 57th pick.....$1.5mil

Seems kind of pricey no matter how Berman tries and spin this one. We spent $1mil on Jerome Jordan who was 44th pick purchase from Milwaukee in 2010. Oh Well