Who will the Knicks keep from the current roster.

tiger0330

Legend
Games GSMP
FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
Quincy Acy672212674.39.30.470.51.60.313.87.60.52.12.70.792.26.28.41.90.80.61.64.111.3
Cole Aldrich6015949510.80.4700510.80.471.82.30.83.68.712.32.81.42.42.24.611.9
Louis Amundson40358404.510.30.440004.510.20.441.63.30.473.86.710.5
Andrea Bargnani29227857.516.60.450.71.90.376.814.70.4744.90.811.54.45.82.10.11.21.92.419.7
Shane Larkin752218413.68.30.430.72.30.3
Ricky Ledo110215513.90.361.53.90.393.5100.352.53.30.752.235.22.810.23.93.214.1
Alexey Shved1694236.215.40.42.260.3749.40.425.470.781.256.24.91.30.42.12.120.1
Jason Smith813017635.211.90.440.30.90.364.9110.442.530.8324.56.52.80.60.92.14.113.2
Lance Thomas392310164.711.10.430.20.70.354.510.30.441.72.30.741.32.94.21.70.90.322.211.5
Travis Wear5116724.511.20.40.61.60.373.99.60.411.11.40.771.745.72.10.80.61.92.910.7

Above are the per 36 min. numbers for the 10 players that don't have contracts for next season. Who do the Knicks keep from the above names or at least pursue because free agency will affect which of these players the Knicks can sign.

Even though Bargnani has almost a 20ppg scoring average in the games he played his latest illness and hand injury have made him persona non grata as far as the Knicks resigning him for any more than a 1yr/min deal.

Shved has clearly been a player the Knicks should be interested in keeping but he's coming off a 10M/3yr deal and signing him to a vet min deal is not realistic so I think he'll be looking for a similar deal as his last contract.

If it comes down to a choice between Aldrich and Smith for a backup big role, I would go with Aldrich for his rebounding, shot blocking and paint scoring with that baby hook shot over the offensive skills of Smith and Cole may re-sign for another 1 yr/min deal while Smith won't.

Quincy Acy is my favorite out of Amundson, Thomas and Wear and I was surprised on how his role was reduced over the course of the season but I hope the Knicks keep him for his overall skills compared to the others.

So my thinking is the Knicks will try to retain Aldrich, Shved, Acy for deals more than the vets min and may retain Thomas, Amundson and Wear if they're willing to accept vet min contracts.

Kiyaman

Legend
Its not good .. we are talkin about 64 loss season roster .. there is no KEEPERS!
At the end of the day, or season, we should be on the phone 24/7 looking for a team to take Melo's contract.

Larkins receive the most minutes of playingtime on the chart above.
Larkins IQ at the point has improve 50% from his rookie season .. 50-50 as the 15th man.

Cole Aldrigh's small hands wide rebounding body we took on as a project lastseason .. Cole has to learn how to box-out for rebounds and box-out for our new slashers we add to the roster .. 50-50 as the 14th man.

O.K .. we do have a bonofide keeper in Galloway's all-around talent ..
Galloway's combo talent has risen to be a 7th to 9th man off the bench performance .. averaging 18 to 26 mpg.

I hope Phil has learn to only get players that other NBA teams want

tiger0330

Legend
Its not good .. we are talkin about 64 loss season roster .. there is no KEEPERS!
At the end of the day, or season, we should be on the phone 24/7 looking for a team to take Melo's contract.

Larkins receive the most minutes of playingtime on the chart above.
Larkins IQ at the point has improve 50% from his rookie season .. 50-50 as the 15th man.

Cole Aldrigh's small hands wide rebounding body we took on as a project lastseason .. Cole has to learn how to box-out for rebounds and box-out for our new slashers we add to the roster .. 50-50 as the 14th man.

O.K .. we do have a bonofide keeper in Galloway's all-around talent ..
Galloway's combo talent has risen to be a 7th to 9th man off the bench performance .. averaging 18 to 26 mpg.

I hope Phil has learn to only get players that other NBA teams want
Larkin has improved since the start of the season but he hasn't grown. Reportedly the Knicks are concerned about his size which is probably true since they didn't pick up his option.

PJ said its not realistic to turn over the entire team so some of these guys are coming back if they can't find jobs elsewhere. Amundson seems to be a favorite of the front office but I have a feeling a 1 year/min deal is not going to cut it with him.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
No one that costs more than the league or vet minimum.

And in that case they won't be starters anyway so it should be who on this roster should be a bench player next year? That would obviously depend on who we acquire by the time the last day of FA rolls around.

CoolClyde

IMHO...

Langston Galloway - keeper
Quincy Acy - gone
Cole Aldrich - keep for < $1M
Louis Amundson - gone overseas to where the money pays
Andrea Bargnani - keep for vets min
Shane Larkin - gone
Ricky Ledo - gone
Alexey Shved - keeper
Jason Smith - keep for < $1M
Lance Thomas - keep for < $1M
Travis Wear - back to d-league

tiger0330

Legend
IMHO...

Langston Galloway - keeper
Quincy Acy - gone
Cole Aldrich - keep for < $1M
Louis Amundson - gone overseas to where the money pays
Andrea Bargnani - keep for vets min
Shane Larkin - gone
Ricky Ledo - gone
Alexey Shved - keeper
Jason Smith - keep for < $1M
Lance Thomas - keep for < $1M
Travis Wear - back to d-league
Always good to see CoolClyde post. I think the same about Lou Amundson, he's been kicked to the curb by so many teams I can see him telling Steve Mills I got a better offer in Italy and nothing personal but "Arrivederci" Knicks.

KnicksBlog had an article on Galloway today saying he's best playing along side Calderon. He might be small and he might not be a PG but I would play him over Calderon 10 times out of 10 next season. Calderon is trash.

Last edited:

pat

Starter
Calderon is trash.

He is trash on this team because it takes him too long to get his shot off. Put him on a team where he can be a shooter on the weak side and he is value for money. Basically put him on any team with fast ball movement and he will do just fine. Did you ever see him on the Spanish national team with the Gasols and Ibaka?

Broadway

All Star
Always good to see CoolClyde post. I think the same about Lou Amundson, he's been kicked to the curb by so many teams I can see him telling Steve Mills I got a better offer in Italy and nothing personal but "Arrivederci" Knicks.

KnicksBlog had an article on Galloway today saying he's best playing along side Calderon. He might be small and he might not be a PG but I would play him over Calderon 10 times out of 10 next season. Calderon is trash.

No need for Smith and Bargs when the team has Melo/Thomas/Draft Pick/Free Agent(s) as part of the front court. We're going big with the pick and probably in free agency.

Each of Smith and Bargs would be garbage in a very limited role. Neither accepts Vet Min anyway.

tiger0330

Legend
He is trash on this team because it takes him too long to get his shot off. Put him on a team where he can be a shooter on the weak side and he is value for money. Basically put him on any team with fast ball movement and he will do just fine. Did you ever see him on the Spanish national team with the Gasols and Ibaka?
Maybe it is the style of play because I remember him from his Toronto days putting up back to back 30 point games. He comes to the Knicks and now he says he's not a player that's going to be your leading scorer, thats not who he is, he's a team player. He can't defend worth a crap either and if he can't score like he did in Toronto they need to dump him ASAP.

pat

Starter
He can't defend worth a crap either and if he can't score like he did in Toronto they need to dump him ASAP.
Depends on who is going to be here next season. with a slasher on the ball side or a dominant low post presence things might look very different.

Broadway

All Star
Depends on who is going to be here next season. with a slasher on the ball side or a dominant low post presence things might look very different.

I know "The Post" makes a habit of writing predictable pieces anytime a potential name drop was in town to play, but it would be nice if Phil could land someone like Demarre Carroll. It's just the cost it will take to get some of these guys and more importantly the ability to lure them away from their current situations.

Paul1355

All Star
Players will return since they know the triangle

Jackson, Fisher and others have gone on record that they will get new players but keep some from this team. The players that stand out will def come back, others are wildcards.

This pathetic team of players can become a very good bench unit. I think we should bring back Shved, Bargnani on a minimum deal only, Amundsen, Aldrich and maybe Ledo for potential purposes. Bargs, Amundsen, Aldrich and Ledo would come back for min deals...Shved might ask for more and we can give him 2-3 mil per year to be a 6th/7th man on our bench.

We would have a bench of Hardaway, Galloway, Shved, Early, Bargnani, Amundsen....that is a decent bench people. We aren't asking these guys to play 20+ minutes anymore. Galloway, Shved, Hardaway and Bargnani would get bulk of bench minutes as role players (10-15 min) each.

Add a real starting rotation of a top pick (Towns or Okafor), big man (Monroe or Milsap), and a decent wing (Green, Afflalo, Middleton, Matthews) with Calderon at PG and you have a solid team

This is my predicted team:

Jose Calderon- 7 mil per year
Danny Green (NY native)- 8 mil per year
Carmelo Anthony- too much
Greg Monroe (max offer)-15 mil
Karl-Anthony Towns (top pick-NJ product)- 4-5 mil per year top pick $

Bench:
Hardaway Jr- rookie deal
Langston Galloway (team option)
Alexey Shved (2-3 mil per year)
Andrea Bargnani (min deal)
Cleanthony Early (team option)
Lou Amundson (min deal)
Ricky Ledo (min deal)
Thanasis Antentakoumpo - cheap rookie deal
Louie Lyberie (we own draft rights) -cheap rookie deal
Cole Aldrich- )min deal)

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Jackson, Fisher and others have gone on record that they will get new players but keep some from this team. The players that stand out will def come back, others are wildcards.

This pathetic team of players can become a very good bench unit. I think we should bring back Shved, Bargnani on a minimum deal only, Amundsen, Aldrich and maybe Ledo for potential purposes. Bargs, Amundsen, Aldrich and Ledo would come back for min deals...Shved might ask for more and we can give him 2-3 mil per year to be a 6th/7th man on our bench.

We would have a bench of Hardaway, Galloway, Shved, Early, Bargnani, Amundsen....that is a decent bench people. We aren't asking these guys to play 20+ minutes anymore. Galloway, Shved, Hardaway and Bargnani would get bulk of bench minutes as role players (10-15 min) each.

Add a real starting rotation of a top pick (Towns or Okafor), big man (Monroe or Milsap), and a decent wing (Green, Afflalo, Middleton, Matthews) with Calderon at PG and you have a solid team

Bench:
Hardaway Jr- rookie deal
Lou Amundson (min deal)
Ricky Ledo (min deal)
Cole Aldrich- )min deal)
Nice post Paul. I've wanted Danny Green on the Knicks since the 2013 NBA finals, exactly the kind of guy that Mills has been talking about being a NY native and wanting to play in NY. The Spurs I think are going to do everything they can to bring him back and there will be a lot of other teams that want him but he would be a great add for the Knicks. Not a fan of Calderon and I hope he can be traded, I knows Mills spoke about not trading number one picks anymore but I would make an exception if it meant dumping Calderon.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

Bench:
Hardaway Jr- rookie deal
Lou Amundson (min deal)
Ricky Ledo (min deal)
Cole Aldrich- )min deal)

That roster could probably make the 8th spot next season if the Celtics, Nets, and Indiana dont improve their roster in offseason. Knicks has to hire a defensive minded coach for that roster!
It would be nice to see Danny Green back in Strong-Island, i doubt if Danny's peeps come back with him

tiger0330

Legend
The Post broke down who they think will be coming back, they only see Amundsen and Thomas coming back out of the guys who don't have contracts. Key for any of these guys coming back is that they accept the vet min deals the Knicks will be offering which if true means you can rule out Shved, Bargnani and Smith.

Surprising to me the Post didn't like Cole or Acy at all. Acy was being praised last off-season for being a guy the Knicks loved because of his energy and effort and his jump shot got better this season but his role was reduced as the season went along so maybe he has fallen out of favor. I think they have to try to bring back one of Cole, Smith or Bargs and I think Cole is the only one willing to accept a vet min deal.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/18/breaking-down-knicks-roster-who-stays-who-goes/

Broadway

All Star
The Post broke down who they think will be coming back, they only see Amundsen and Thomas coming back out of the guys who don't have contracts. Key for any of these guys coming back is that they accept the vet min deals the Knicks will be offering which if true means you can rule out Shved, Bargnani and Smith.

Surprising to me the Post didn't like Cole or Acy at all. Acy was being praised last off-season for being a guy the Knicks loved because of his energy and effort and his jump shot got better this season but his role was reduced as the season went along so maybe he has fallen out of favor. I think they have to try to bring back one of Cole, Smith or Bargs and I think Cole is the only one willing to accept a vet min deal.

Not surprising at all, especially when you look at our very delicate cap situation. The casual fan doesn't understand basic functions of a salary cap.

The media capitalizes off ignorance and feeds the masses fluff when it's convenient(off-season and season's begin) but when tomorrow comes(midway point to season's end) as it surely will, reality sets in. Patterns like these will change eventually when fans understand how much information they have access to and going through such processes with the team they root for. The media can only get away with this a little while longer. It's imperative for fans to educate themselves just as much if not more so than how they go about rooting for their teams.

I figured not many would come back. My max was 4 players....

I thought they may pick up 1 of the Team Option players(Wear or Acy because of cheap salary) and then 1 other player outside of Lance and Amundson. Mills mentioned those 2 specifically as leaders when he and Phil addressed media for Town Hall meeting. So I felt they would come back no matter what and they have no major cap implications in terms of salary

For the record when it comes to Alexy Shved he made approx $3.125mil this yr and has a QO of approx $3.875mil. The QO has to be offered before July 1, which is when free agency begins, somewhere between June 25-30th....

- If we extend the QO to him and he accepts the QO it's a $3.875mil hit against our $26-29 right off the top

- If he refuses then he has a cap hit of 190% of previous season's salary. Which is essentially $3.1mil with a multiplier of 200% equaling a $6.2mil cap hit. Therefore the $6.2mil would take away from our $26-29mil cap space off the top. This provides us the FROF on an offer sheet being signed

- If we don't extend the QO then he's an UFA and he can sign wherever he wants including with us, but only for what we'd be willing to offer from our remaining cap space. The likelihood we offer him anything against the $26-29mil would be unlikely

Looking at his situation if he really wants to be here, he'd have to watch us fill our cap with more desirable free agents and he'd only be eligible to accept our exceptions at that point. Also would he remain an integral part of what we do if we signed more prominent equal caliber of players?

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star

due to the lack of big man and the fact that Jackson has gone on record to say that he doesn't want to revamp the whole roster (meaning keep players that are familiar with the triangle)...I see Aldrich coming back.

Acy is an undersized PF and his defense isn't good enough for his lack of size.

I personally see Amundson, Aldrich, Shved all returning next season. Galloway, Hardaway, and Early are already under contract.

Broadway

All Star
due to the lack of big man and the fact that Jackson has gone on record to say that he doesn't want to revamp the whole roster (meaning keep players that are familiar with the triangle)...I see Aldrich coming back.

Acy is an undersized PF and his defense isn't good enough for his lack of size.

I personally see Amundson, Aldrich, Shved all returning next season. Galloway, Hardaway, and Early are already under contract.

Tig may have posted this in another thread but this video provides some clues as to what Phil could be thinking. It's a recap but has some pointed small tidbits where one could possibly connect the dots.

http://www.msg.com/teams/knicks/knicks-fix/this-is-where-it-starts.html

Kiyaman

Legend

Center
Cole Aldrich has the talent to play C/PF (5 or 4 spot) .. Cole is not a starter in any capacity, he is not the 1st big u bring off the bench to backup the starter center or PF. Cole small-hand performance showed he's still a project.
Cole has talent to be the 3rd big off the bench u put in the game to rebound, block, put-back, screen, pick n roll, and to foul oponents poor foul shootin bigs.
Cole are a 12 to 18 mpg BIG. (KEEPER)

PF
Barg has always had talent to be a bench player (never a starter).
Barg weak rebounding talent u bring off the bench as a backup PF (4 spot).
Barg are a 18 to 24 mpg BIG. ($4M per)
Jason Smith were a joke signing that prove the Knicks were TANKING the season.
Hint: Greg Monroe is a backup C/PF BIG! Not a NBA starter!

SF
Players Acy and Amundson are not PF! One may become a KEEPER.
Acy and Amundson are big SF with strong-bodies to defend (not stop) C/PF on a switch.
Either player couldve had a successful season as the Knicks SF inside a frontcourt lineup having two Bigs ..
"Dalembert, Amare, Acy or Amundson", or "Dalembert, Barg, Acy or Amundson".
Recall the Phoenix Suns went to the WCF having a frontcourt big lineup of "Amare, Frye, Grant or Amundson" in their rotation in 2009-10.
Early & Wear talent need a full season in the D.League to develope more tools.

SG
Thanasis athletic defensive talent at SF/SG need NBA playingtime minutes, plus train with Knicks top draft pick .. KEEPER!
Thomas talent has looked like a 12th man SG off the bench (project) for garbage time minutes.
Ledo & Shved showed very little in their spurt to make the keeper list.

PG
Combo-guard Galloway has showed potential to be any NBA teams 6th/8th man off the bench. KEEPER!
Galloway's a 24 mpg combo-guard.
Larkins is not a starter or backup PG!
Larkins improvement has made him the 3rd PG on a roster.

Phil Jackson has to trade Tim Hardaway Jr. and Calderon on draft-nite .. its a must do!
Derek Fisher has to MAN-up n tell Carmelo Anthony the team cant win with ISO-Melo individual talent.
Plus Fisher has to let Carmelo Anthony know he does not possess the skills to be a NBA PF.