Carmelo Anthony Not the Kind of Leader NY Needs, Says Chauncey Billups

Kiyaman

Legend
New York Knicks News & Rumors:
Carmelo Anthony Not the Kind of Leader NY Needs, Says Chauncey Billups

True or False

Former NBA star Chauncey Billups believe the New York Knicks should look for vocal leader if they want to succeed because main man Carmelo Anthony is not that kind of player. The Knicks, who are in their second year under legendary coach Phil Jackson, ended up with second-worst record this season. Jackson vowed to make changes this summer, but Billups disagreed with the plan of the 11-time champion coach.

Jackson recently said that he will continue to build the team around Anthony and he wants the superstar forward to become their vocal leader. However, Billups is convinced Anthony does not possess the kind of leadership qualities the Knicks need in order to bounce back next season. "He's not that guy," Billups said in an interview on "The Knicks Blog with Anthony Donahue" radio show. "he's not the guy who's going to stand up in the locker room and give this rah-rah speech and get the team to rally. That's not who he is."

Billups said that Anthony is a great player who could score whenever he wants and show the type of effort each player should give every game and in practice. However, Billups said that the 30-year-old superstar prefers to lead by example and does not want to get into his teammates' ears. "You've got to find another guy to make speeches, and another guy to do most of the leading," Billups said. "He is going to most of the time lead by example. He's not going to be vocal, he's not going to rock the boat."

The Knicks are expected to make a strong push to sign another superstar this summer. According to Ian Begley of ESPN New York, Indiana Pacers star forward David West could be the type of leader the Knicks are looking for. David West, who averaged 11.7 points and 6.8 rebounds this season, will reportedly opt out of his contract and become a free agent this summer. According to Begley, the Knicks should monitor the status of the 34-year-old if they are really looking for a player who has strong leadership qualities

What do u think about Phil signing David West?
And let Greg Monroe stay in Detroit.

CoolClyde

what's wrong with leading by example not wanting to get into his teammates' ears?

David West is not bad, although he's kind of an injury-prone hothead, but he's better than most of the players currently on the Knicks roster, and if he can be had for under $12M/year, I wouldn't mind. but the fact that he's due to make $12.6M next season, and is opting out, says he's looking for over $15M/year, so f*ck him. I'd rather go after the Pacers' George Hill, Rod Stuckey or Luis Scola, for that matter.

tiger0330

Legend
West is too old but I wouldn't put it past PJ to get him because I think he has to build around veterans since Melo is the center piece of the franchise.

Oakley was also quoted saying something negative about Melo that he's on the wrong side of 30, coming off a knee injury and maybe not the guy you want to build a franchise around. I agree with OakMan.

Broadway

All Star
West is too old but I wouldn't put it past PJ to get him because I think he has to build around veterans since Melo is the center piece of the franchise.

Oakley was also quoted saying something negative about Melo that he's on the wrong side of 30, coming off a knee injury and maybe not the guy you want to build a franchise around. I agree with OakMan.

Billups would know, he played with Melo for a few yrs and when Melo went the furthest he's ever been it's because Billups finished ahead of him as an MVP candidate 6th and was the Nuggets best player then. He was their leader. Are there any finely aged prime and-or short term leaders as Billups or Kidd available in Free Agency?

Kiyaman

Legend
what's wrong with leading by example not wanting to get into his teammates' ears?

David West is not bad, although he's kind of an injury-prone hothead, but he's better than most of the players currently on the Knicks roster, and if he can be had for under $12M/year, I wouldn't mind. but the fact that he's due to make $12.6M next season, and is opting out, says he's looking for over $15M/year, so f*ck him. I'd rather go after the Pacers' George Hill, Rod Stuckey or Luis Scola, for that matter.

I dont see the Pacers giving West a raise or close to the same salary .. Phil could offer David West 4 yrs $50M
The veteranship n playoff experience West brings to the young players will take a load off Fisher.

Broadway

All Star

I'm hearing Bird wants Hibbert gone, as they are looking to play a faster pace style-brand of basketball next yr. He gave Hibbert a poor end of yr assessment in play. All the others want to come back and hinted at taking discounts, which could possibly be what West is looking for in exchange for long-term stability and team continuity. The only player that may not come back is C.J. Miles.

Kiyaman

Legend
What Billups are saying are 100% winning advice that Phil Jackson need to think strongly about in the FA market and in trade this offseason.
The Knicks NEED two leadership players added to the roster (Guard & Bigman) asap in the offseason .. all the Greg Monroe rumors are not impressive to optimistic winning Knicks fans without having any veteran bigman leadership to guide a young raw Greg Monroe.

Phil Jackson knows about leadership players from when Phil & Kobe got knocked out the playoffs in the first-round consecutive seasons by Phoenix. Phil had to find away to trade for a team leadership player or have 3 seasons of getting eliminated in the first round playoffs with Kobe Bryant .. Phil got team-leadership PG Derek Fisher to add with Kobe Bryant to win 40 games before February trade deadline when Phil added Gasol, to go to the FINALS three consecutive seasons.

Facts are .... Carmelo Anthony did not have a 50 win season in the NBA without having two leadership players on the roster .. every 50 win season Melo had in the NBA always had two leadership players on the roster ..
from Allen Iverson & Kenyon Martin to Billups & Kenyon Martin in Denver.
In NY Melo won 54 games in a season with veteran leadership players Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas, and Kenyon Martin.

In the 2015 FA market Phil Jackson should be looking for Leadership players only when spending above $7M per.
The Knicks has young D.League players in Shved, Galloway, THJ, Thanis, Cole, plus a early 2015 draft pick.
The Knicks young players need veteran leadership players to follow on n off the court.
Carmelo Anthony $124M player has nothing to offer any of the Knicks young players when it comes to winning games!!!!!!