Will the 70 yr old Knicks president put together a playoff roster in offseason?

Internet stories about Kevin Love opting out? Internet stories about Dwayne Wade having contract issues with Miami who don't seem to want to pay him?

It's Friday morning, does anyone want to get a little crazy?

Remember, famously earlier in the year, Lebron James said he only has 2 friends in the NBA. Not KLove, not Kyrie Irving, not Anderson Varejao, no, it was Dwayne Wade and Carmelo Anthony.

What if, and remember we're getting crazy here, KLove opts out and Cleveland uses the money to sign Dwayne Wade? Now, Cleveland has Lebron and Wade, what if, the Cavs want to fully unite the SuperFriends? What if we trade them Melo for Kyrie Irving plus/minus whatever contracts it takes to make the dollars work?

Do I think there's any chance of a full SuperFriends unite in Cleveland? No, of course not, but if it does happen this offseason, then I said it here first.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Knicks fans will not be happy with the outcome. Like every season victory depends on a lot of 'ifs'.
If Melo is healthy.
If Phil can bring on a good surrounding cast of players.
If the players Phil brings on can play with Melo.
If Melo gives up the ball.
If Melo and our new cast of free agents can function well in the triangle.

If, If, ****ing If......

I expect to see Greg Monroe and Tibias Harris in Knicks uniforms next season. Maybe get Roy Hibbert as a back up to Monroe. Keep the big man on his toes and make these dudes fight for minutes. That's what I would do, but who the hell knows what Phil will do at this point. Keep in mind that players like these two (Monroe and Harris) should be worse case scenarios or in my view a better option than getting a big name with no depth.

Shooting Guards: This is a huge need for the Knicks. I like Hardaway but as a complementary bench player for depth. He's not a starter or a consistently reliable shooter yet. I'd look at Marco Belinelli or Arron Afflalo if you're cost conscious. If you want to splurge, look at Jimmy Butler or maybe Monta Ellis.

tiger0330

Legend
htr10 I found that Woj story you mentioned about KLove opting out and the Knicks aren't mentioned as a destination.

With JR and Shump having the success they are having in Cleveland, it makes me wonder how many players are going to think the triangle isn't an offensive system they want to play in. JR is an example, the triangle was too structured, look at him in Cleveland, he's playing free and loose. The triangle just cramped his style.

Paul1355

All Star
We already have the Knicks internet rumor of the day, I think, and it falls under the category of "let's find a way to tie every free agent to the Knicks'.

Apparently, DeMarre Carroll would like to play for Derek Fisher because Derek Fisher used to be his workout partner in Southern California a few years ago. That's literally the extent of the rumor I've read at this point.

Assuming there's any truth to this, Carroll seems to fall under the Greg Monroe category to me in that he is definitely nowhere near a max player, so if he has any interest in us we could definitely get him by outbidding everyone else. I like Carroll's game a lot, but he's 28 and just had a career year. He seems like a huge bust candidate for the money that he will likely command after this last season.
Carroll is a tier c player but Monroe is a younger tier B free agent...because Monroe is only 24 he hasn't hit his prime yet...so by giving him a max you expect him to only get better...plus he fits as a triangle big man

Broadway

All Star
Kevin Love probably winds up in Boston, this is what Wojo is reporting. If not there possibly L.A. depending on how things shake down.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
htr10 I found that Woj story you mentioned about KLove opting out and the Knicks aren't mentioned as a destination.

With JR and Shump having the success they are having in Cleveland, it makes me wonder how many players are going to think the triangle isn't an offensive system they want to play in. JR is an example, the triangle was too structured, look at him in Cleveland, he's playing free and loose. The triangle just cramped his style.

I agree with you to a point. If this experiment doesn't work, meaning if Phil can't assemble a squad good enough to make it to the conference finals over the next three years, then the triangle will be all but dead in the NBA from that point forward. All that being said, JR isn't the smartest player. Triangle isn't that complicated. Rookies in the summer league knocked it out.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks fans will not be happy with the outcome. Like every season victory depends on a lot of 'ifs'.
If Melo is healthy.
If Phil can bring on a good surrounding cast of players.
If the players Phil brings on can play with Melo.
If Melo gives up the ball.
If Melo and our new cast of free agents can function well in the triangle.

If, If, ****ing If......

I expect to see Greg Monroe and Tibias Harris in Knicks uniforms next season. Maybe get Roy Hibbert as a back up to Monroe. Keep the big man on his toes and make these dudes fight for minutes. That's what I would do, but who the hell knows what Phil will do at this point. Keep in mind that players like these two (Monroe and Harris) should be worse case scenarios or in my view a better option than getting a big name with no depth.

Shooting Guards: This is a huge need for the Knicks. I like Hardaway but as a complementary bench player for depth. He's not a starter or a consistently reliable shooter yet. I'd look at Marco Belinelli or Arron Afflalo if you're cost conscious. If you want to splurge, look at Jimmy Butler or maybe Monta Ellis.

Sad! but u gotta AGREE :agreed: 100%

will Phil do better ???

Kiyaman

Legend

The triangle-offense is at its best when having three scoring vets willing to put in hard work on the defensive-end.
The Boston Celtrics Big-3 beat Phil Jackson at his own triangle game for a championship trophy in 2008.

Keven Love could'nt play 2nd or 3rd fiddle alongside Mozgov or Trinston .. Love dont fit the triangle
Will the Cavs use Love contract to trade for their 3rd fiddle bigman?
JR and Shump plays 30 minutes of defense in Lebron's rotation to earn 10 shot attempts per game.

tiger0330

Legend
Wojo is reporting that no matter what Kevin Love will opt out once this season is over. It seems unclear if he would be open to staying with Cleveland, even if they offered a max deal, but for the reasons you listed above, it seems like a strong possibility that he will be elsewhere at the start of next season. Personally, I think we would be crazy to turn down a player like Love for a max deal, if by some miracle he wanted to play for us, when we are considering a double digit plus yearly contract for a guy like Monroe, but he is a bad fit for us. If Love has no interest in playing for us, then I really don't care where he goes, unless he ends up on Boston, which would just piss me off.
KLove has to opt out in June 30. Coming off an injury and an off year is never the best time to enter FA but he doesn't fit in Cleveland so its going to be interesting what he does. Boston would be ironic with him accusing Olynyk of intentionally hurting him.

I personally believe that the knicks arent going to sign any one crazy this year

they dont have their lottery pick for next year and phil has already proven to be able to muster up picks out of no where.

I believe that phil ( never wanted to resign melo ) jackson will thrust us into another season of inferiority thus forcing melo to demand a trade to a top 10 team; in return we will get some expirings and some more picks and then legitimately move forward towards rebuilding around youth, picks and enough cap space to sign the cast of game of thrones as our starting 5.

atleast thats what i would do as a GM if i really gave a sh1t about the future of my franchise.

respectfully.

tiger0330

Legend
I personally believe that the knicks arent going to sign any one crazy this year

they dont have their lottery pick for next year and phil has already proven to be able to muster up picks out of no where.

I believe that phil ( never wanted to resign melo ) jackson will thrust us into another season of inferiority thus forcing melo to demand a trade to a top 10 team; in return we will get some expirings and some more picks and then legitimately move forward towards rebuilding around youth, picks and enough cap space to sign the cast of game of thrones as our starting 5.

atleast thats what i would do as a GM if i really gave a sh1t about the future of my franchise.

respectfully.
Well if Melo asks for a trade because the Knicks play like crap again it won't be because Phil planned it like that, his best chance to build a team without Melo was before he re-signed him.

I'm not cutting PJ any slack for next season. He got his cap space when he dealt JR and Shump and he's got the 4th pick, should be enough to make the playoffs in a weak EC. If the Knicks play like crap next season, PJ should take his option and go home to LA.

tiger0330

Legend
KLove has to opt out in June 30. Coming off an injury and an off year is never the best time to enter FA but he doesn't fit in Cleveland so its going to be interesting what he does. Boston would be ironic with him accusing Olynyk of intentionally hurting him.
Looks like KLove is opting in and returning to Cleveland for the season so Woj was wrong unless KLove reneges on what he said today. Interesting what he said that TT would start for most NBA teams and he could play SF, looks like he's angling for minutes as the backup 3 and 4 which together could add up to 25-32mins a game.

Broadway

All Star
Looks like KLove is opting in and returning to Cleveland for the season so Woj was wrong unless KLove reneges on what he said today. Interesting what he said that TT would start for most NBA teams and he could play SF, looks like he's angling for minutes as the backup 3 and 4 which together could add up to 25-32mins a game.

Or the spike in cap is too tempting to turn down a huge pay day beyond compare.

Kiyaman

Legend

Keven Love is out of Cleveland .. by way of opting-out or by way of trade.

Lebron James took a last season 33 win Cavs team to the FINALS this season ..
Lebron has just become the Cavs Coach/GM/and Super-Star Leader ..
During the midseason, the Cavs were winning games vs .500 teams by benching Keven Love in the 4th qtr. of the game. The Cavs won two series without Keven Love .. Triston Thompson out-played Love in every aspect of a BIGMAN throughout the season.
The Cavs trading Wiggins for Love was more foolish than any of Phil Jackson foolish trades LMAO

Originally Posted by tiger0330
Tristan T. has Lebron on his side with the King saying he should be a Cav for life. He turned down a 48M/4 yr extension so it'll be interesting what the Cavs have to pay him.
It'll be an awkward year for KLove if he opts in with him taking a backseat to TT. Can you see the Cavs paying 16M for a backup PF? KLove may pick up his option and stay with the Cavs to become a FA in 2016 when the cap is expected to explode or he could request a trade this off-season.

It wouldnt be awkward for the Cavs to start the season having Love expiring-contract on the trade-table for a missing-piece before the trade deadline. Im sure Love would get his act together coming off the bench.

tiger0330

Legend
Keven Love is out of Cleveland .. by way of opting-out or by way of trade.

Lebron James took a last season 33 win Cavs team to the FINALS this season ..
Lebron has just become the Cavs Coach/GM/and Super-Star Leader ..
During the midseason, the Cavs were winning games vs .500 teams by benching Keven Love in the 4th qtr. of the game. The Cavs won two series without Keven Love .. Triston Thompson out-played Love in every aspect of a BIGMAN throughout the season.
The Cavs trading Wiggins for Love was more foolish than any of Phil Jackson foolish trades LMAO

It wouldnt be awkward for the Cavs to start the season having Love expiring-contract on the trade-table for a missing-piece before the trade deadline. Im sure Love would get his act together coming off the bench.
The Hawks going from the 8th seed to the EC finals and the Cavs going from nowhere to the Finals is the reason Knicks fans should have hope.

Like I said, I'm not cutting PJ any slack for next season, I don't want to hear "Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are playoff teams" or "It's a bigger job than I expected because of previous mistakes made in trading draft picks for marquee players".

Win or go home to Jeanie Phil.

Broadway

All Star
The Hawks going from the 8th seed to the EC finals and the Cavs going from nowhere to the Finals is the reason Knicks fans should have hope.

Like I said, I'm not cutting PJ any slack for next season, I don't want to hear "Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are playoff teams" or "It's a bigger job than I expected because of previous mistakes made in trading draft picks for marquee players".

Win or go home to Jeanie Phil.

Actually very misleading here by looking at history correctly...

Atl last year before Horford went down with pectoral injury was a top 4 team in East. We've already seen Lebron take the likes of a Ira Newble, Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones, and Boobie Gibson to the Finals. Just off the J.R. Smith and Shumpert acquisitions alone is indictment Lebron is a totally different breed of basketball player than anyone we have here and/or could get this summer.

Our only hope is something earth moving happens on draft night, otherwise we're gonna have to wait until the Phil era is over to start truly being relevant.

Kiyaman

Legend
Actually very misleading here by looking at history correctly...

Atl last year before Horford went down with pectoral injury was a top 4 team in East. We've already seen Lebron take the likes of a Ira Newble, Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones, and Boobie Gibson to the Finals. Just off the J.R. Smith and Shumpert acquisitions alone is indictment Lebron is a totally different breed of basketball player than anyone we have here and/or could get this summer.

Our only hope is something earth moving happens on draft night, otherwise we're gonna have to wait until the Phil era is over to start truly being relevant.

The Hawks were a growing .600 team before Horford injury a season ago, the Hawks then and now has gotten the much needed postseason experience to be a top competitive team. Now the Hawks have to find away to keep the roster together plus add the missing C/PF BIG to move the team to the next level.

I agree on Lebron James super-star status (Riley/Magic/Bird/Jordan) stars that improve teammates performance.
Shaq and Pippin are crazy (HATERS) mentioning a high-scorer Kobe Bryant b.ball level above Lebron and Jordan.
When has Kobe ever improve his teammates performance? Neverary!
Kobe need Phil Jackson to win a playoff series.

tiger0330

Legend
If PJ is serious about getting into the playoffs next season he should bring back Jeremy Lin. :)

The Lakers probably aren't going to bring him back and if we can pick him up for the vet's min why not. That month of Linsanity was probably the most entertaining basketball the Knicks have played in 10 years.

If PJ is serious about getting into the playoffs next season he should bring back Jeremy Lin. :)

The Lakers probably aren't going to bring him back and if we can pick him up for the vet's min why not. That month of Linsanity was probably the most entertaining basketball the Knicks have played in 10 years.

Lin would be a nice fit, but in the triangle ?

i dunno

he would have to take a serious pay cut come down to earth and sign with us for approximately 5-7 per year for 3 years

plus if we sign lin, and have lin and calderon do we still draft mudiay ?

Lin- Mudiay ?
Hardaway - who is our bench sg or starting sg
Melo - early
Prizingas ? if we don't take mudiay because of lin ? - Acy
Monroe - who is our back up big man ? do we go after trey lyles ?

i dunno,

i think we are gonna see that number 4 pick packaged with calderon for a later draft pick and some one else expiring contract

so we will take a trey lyles later in the draft, get rid of calderons contract and then in 2016 go for broke on kevin durant and have a line up of

Greg monroe
Melo
Durant
Hardaway
galloway

with trey lyles coming off the bench

???

so many questions this off season

tiger0330

Legend
Lin would be a nice fit, but in the triangle ?i dunno he would have to take a serious pay cut come down to earth and sign with us for approximately 5-7 per year for 3 years plus if we sign lin, and have lin and calderon do we still draft mudiay ?Lin- Mudiay ?Hardaway - who is our bench sg or starting sg Melo - early Prizingas ? if we don't take mudiay because of lin ? - AcyMonroe - who is our back up big man ? do we go after trey lyles ?i dunno, i think we are gonna see that number 4 pick packaged with calderon for a later draft pick and some one else expiring contractso we will take a trey lyles later in the draft, get rid of calderons contract and then in 2016 go for broke on kevin durant and have a line up of Greg monroe MeloDurantHardawaygalloway with trey lyles coming off the bench ???so many questions this off season
No way he makes the same money as his last contract. Real good chance the Knicks could pick him up for the vets minimum that's how much his stock has fallen since Linsanity. If he's willing to sign for the vets min there's no risk in seeing if he fits the triangle. I think New Yorkers would love seeing him in the O&B again.

He was playing SG for the Lakers and Rockets a lot so we could still draft Mudiay. I still remember the game in Toronto when he torched Calderon for that last second game winning 3.

Last edited: