2015 NBA Draft Lottery Thread - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 8:30PM - ESPN

Broadway

All Star
Is that speculation or you have a source for that idea about Mudiay not performing at the combine because a team wants him and wants to keep him a secret? We're getting killed by the sports media today and they are saying we have the 4th pick in a 3 team draft. It's being said that none of the top teams are buying into Mudiay being as good as his hype.

Gotta be NY Sports media saying this, because it's not the talk I hear or read about up to this point....other than concerns about his shooting.

mafra

Legend
Gotta be NY Sports media saying this, because it's not the talk I hear or read about up to this point....other than concerns about his shooting.

This is in FORBES... not the NY media... LAKERS might pass on Okafor if Towns goes first.

"2. Lakers–Mudiay.The draft sites are pencilling in Okafor but I think the Lakes will love Mudiay,the Congo native raised in Texas. He’s not only a major talent at point guardbut Showtime incarnate, a big value for Jerry Buss and his kids."

mafra

Legend
Then there's this:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/3/4/8148317/lakers-draft-2015-emmanuel-mudiay

he LosAngeles Lakers will have plenty of options if they keep their top-five pickin the 2015 NBADraft, and while it seems Jahlil Okafor is the sure-bet first-overall pick,there's still plenty of speculation to be had. Emmanuel Mudiay was oneof the highest-ranked prospects heading into the year, but his decision toskip college and play in China has given him mixed returns.
NBA teams still have their eyes on him,though. D'Angelo Russell has captured the attention of fanssoaking in the college season, but Mudiay is considered the player with ahigher-upside while still being excellent in his own right. This is what ESPN's Chad Ford revealedabout Mudiay in his latest ESPN Insider article:
"The two guys with the biggestupsides in the draft are Mudiay and Towns," one NBA GM told ESPN."Okafor and Russell are more sure things, but neither of those guys havethe ceiling of Mudiay and Towns. And of those four, Mudiay is the best athlete.I can understand a team taking any of those four guys No. 1. But if you'reasking me who has the chance to be a game-changer in the NBA, I think it'sMudiay. Big risk, big reward."
The risk comes with a lack of scouting onMudiay. He played 12 games, according to Real GM's international playerdatabase. Over those contests he averaged 18 points, 5.9 assists, 6.3rebounds and 1.6 steals, but how that kind of production would measure upagainst college competition is up for debate. Mudiay didn't get as much burn asanyone scouting him would like, but it sounds like he's ready to move on toPlan B when he returns to the States.
Ford also revealed that Mudiay will workwith SMU head coach LarryBrown leading up to the draft -- the same coach he "spurned" whenhe decided he would play overseas. Brown gushed about his pupil, and had thisto say to NBA executives who want to see more of what Emmanuel is capable of, via Ford:
Brown says the NBA guys will get what theyasked -- a Larry Brown-coached Mudiay -- just a little later than they thought.
"He's coming to hang out with me whenhis season is over," Brown said. "I'll get him ready. He's going tobe special. Just wait and see."

4.New York Knicks: Emmanuel Mudiay, PG, DR Congo
Maybe if Mudiay had spent the yeardominating the NCAA, he'd be more hyped as an elite prospect, but he's considereda mystery by many fans after spending the year in China. Mudiay is an excellentpick-and-roll playmaker, though he must improve on his shooting. He also haswonderful potential as a defender due to his strength and lateral quickness.Knicks fans shouldn't be too depressed, because Phil Jackson might be able to trade this pick fora king's ransom.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Chad Ford, on NBA radio, says Purzingis is best international player since Dirk. He's currently playing in Spain... Avg 12 ppg now in world's 2nd best pro league... A freak athlete. 19. Can shoot NBA 3. Said if he played College in USA this year... Debate would be if he should be top pick in this draft. Says he'll be best player from draft 5 yrs from now.

Porzingis intrigues me, legit 7 footer. Never saw him play but I've been reading he could go as high as 3. Must be pretty good for people to rate him that high, I hope the Knicks do their homework on him because 7 footers that shoot the 3 at a 37% clip are hard to find.

smells like bargnani. nope.

mafra

Legend
smells like bargnani. nope.

Bargnani, and Gallo, were tall and could shoot... This guy us tall, can really shoot, and has incredible athleticism (like that French freak in Utah)... Another way to see it: Towns played with 7 other All-Americans, against weak competition (teams like Georgie lucky to have 2 All-Americans)... While Pirzingis is playing professional ball in Spain, against men... And is averaging more ppg.

Bargnani, and Gallo, were tall and could shoot... This guy us tall, can really shoot, and has incredible athleticism (like that French freak in Utah)... Another way to see it: Towns played with 7 other All-Americans, against weak competition (teams like Georgie lucky to have 2 All-Americans)... While Pirzingis is playing professional ball in Spain, against men... And is averaging more ppg.
ehhh are you really saying euro league is better than ncaa . . .

mafra

Legend
ehhh are you really saying euro league is better than ncaa . . .

Spanish League? YES. I think Barcelona would destroy Wake F & Vandy... Would reach Final-4 every year.

BUT... Towns playing with 7 NBA prospects against Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, and Weber St? That means more than some kid banging around against 24-30 yr-old PROs?

After a bit of a dry spell the last few days, we're starting to get some interesting rumors again on the internet about potential draft picks.

For those who have been touting Porzingis as possibly one of, if not the, best player in this draft, you are starting to get validated. Chad Ford is reporting that the Lakers will take Towns if available at #2, but instead if Okafor falls to them, they would consider Porzingis if they have the guts to pull the trigger.

Also, people are now starting to refer to the draft as having a clear top 5 star prospects. Those 5 being Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, and yes, Porzingis.

As far as the Knicks, only rumor today that I read is that we continue to like maybe Winslow or WCS, neither of which are included in that "top 5" listed above. If we are going to pull the trigger on one of those two guys, I sure hope we find a way to trade down a few spots first.

Wargames

Starter
After a bit of a dry spell the last few days, we're starting to get some interesting rumors again on the internet about potential draft picks.

For those who have been touting Porzingis as possibly one of, if not the, best player in this draft, you are starting to get validated. Chad Ford is reporting that the Lakers will take Towns if available at #2, but instead if Okafor falls to them, they would consider Porzingis if they have the guts to pull the trigger.

Also, people are now starting to refer to the draft as having a clear top 5 star prospects. Those 5 being Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, and yes, Porzingis.

As far as the Knicks, only rumor today that I read is that we continue to like maybe Winslow or WCS, neither of which are included in that "top 5" listed above. If we are going to pull the trigger on one of those two guys, I sure hope we find a way to trade down a few spots first.

I would not be surprised if the reason we hear those 2 names the most is the knicks are planning to move back 2 - 3 spots maybe to the kings pick for Darren Collison or the Nuggets for Lawson, Faried, or W. Chandler. Part of me prefers if they just picked the guy they wanted the most though instead of taking whoever was left at 6 or 7.

tiger0330

Legend

If that happens and the Lakers select Porzingis and either Towns or Okafor go to MN I think the Sixers still select the best available PG which means one of the highly touted bigs Okafor or Towns would fall to the Knicks. The Knicks would be all over that, I hope it happens that a dark horse goes in the top 3, the Knicks can clean up.

They would also have great trade asset in Okafor that they could deal like Wiggins if they didn't want to keep him.

Broadway

All Star
In the Spreecast right now with @AminESPN who says Knicks should pick "Mudiay" and doesn't see how we pass on him if he's there.

mafra

Legend
This is what Chad Ford had to say about our pick:

Alex (New York): If you are Phil Jackson what is your draft day plan for #4?

Ford: Be patient. Take whoever falls. I think there are five guys worthy of the No. 1 pick. At four you’ll have your choice of two of them. Of the five guys, I don’t believe Towns or Russell will be there. But there are scenarios where Okafor, Mudiay or Porzingis will be there. And I hear that Justise Winslow has some strong support in New York. And two different sources today told me the Knicks are also looking strongly at Willie Cauley-Stein. They want a strong defender in New York which explains the Winslow and Cauley-Stein interest.