Knicks Free Agency 2015

tiger0330

Legend
Melol love this rumor. You could have 2 players on the Knicks Melo hates...

Linsanity was the most exciting month of bball that the Knicks have played in the last 10 years. Knicks fans loved him, I don't remember any player ever having a petition sent to Dolan to try to keep him in NY.

I'd like to see him back in NY, only thing is that triangle offense he's better off in a PnR offense. It was pretty certain that the Lakers weren't going to keep him and analysts speculated about his next contract, most of them thought he was worth about a 5M contract. If Lin wants that kind of money I don't see it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Linsanity was the most exciting month of bball that the Knicks have played in the last 10 years. Knicks fans loved him, I don't remember any player ever having a petition sent to Dolan to try to keep him in NY.

I'd like to see him back in NY, only thing is that triangle offense he's better off in a PnR offense. It was pretty certain that the Lakers weren't going to keep him and analysts speculated about his next contract, most of them thought he was worth about a 5M contract. If Lin wants that kind of money I don't see it.

I'm sure there's a team out there that wants him at that price. Lin is a good starting PG on a non-playoff team and a good bench scoring option on a good team.

He's better than Raymond Felton at any rate. Remember when Felton thought he was better than Lin? How did that work out?

Broadway

All Star
I'm sure there's a team out there that wants him at that price. Lin is a good starting PG on a non-playoff team and a good bench scoring option on a good team.

He's better than Raymond Felton at any rate. Remember when Felton thought he was better than Lin? How did that work out?

There were a legions legion of Knick Fans who thought the same at the time sad to say.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
There were a legions legion of Knick Fans who thought the same at the time sad to say.

Yeah. I mean, I don't think anybody knew Felton was going to suck as bad as he did during his second stint in NY.

Lin has actually improved a good amount since he played for NY. He has pretty good scoring efficiency since he draws a lot of fouls, and he's improved his 3-point percentage to 36.9% which is pretty solid. He's cut down tremendously on his turnovers per game (2.2 last season, which is pretty good for a PG). Not saying that he's some sort of all-star caliber player but he's become about a league-average scoring PG. Doesn't fit a need for the Knicks, but it's much better than what Felton is right now (dead weight).

tiger0330

Legend
I think Greg Monroe just went from a sure thing to a long shot for the Knicks after comments he made at his bball clinic that was reported by the NY Post. He's looking to sign a short-term deal and wants to sign with a winning club for this year. The winning team is probably not the Knicks but is a short term deal something the Knicks want to do or are the Knicks looking for longer term deals with young players like Monroe. Is there still a match to be made between the Knicks and Monroe based on his comments?

Pistons free agent center Greg Monroe said Sunday he will meet with five teams this week, including the Knicks, and said he wants to play for a club “ready to win.’’ He also seemed to be campaigning to stay in his hometown.

Monroe, who is from Louisiana, said at his basketball clinic in New Orleans he’s looking for a two-year deal with an opt-out after one season to take advantage of the coming rise of the salary cap.
According to the Baton Rouge (La.) Advocate, Monroe will speak with the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, Bucks, and Blazers with the Pistons out of the picture. Free agency begins Wednesday.
“I’m looking to be with a team that’s ready to win,” Monroe told the newspaper. “Hopefully it will be a team where I’m the missing piece.”
The Celtics, Bucks and Blazers all made the playoffs last season. The Knicks finished 17-65, but will try to convince Monroe he could be the “missing piece’’ as team president Phil Jackson, without a center on the roster, is starved for big men. Monroe, who played power forward and center in Detroit, is more an offensive force but is a good rebounder. He averaged 15.9 points and 10.3 rebounds last season in Detroit, where he spent five losing years.

Monroe mentioned his hometown New Orleans Pelicans would be a top choice, but they had yet to show interest.

Broadway

All Star
I think Greg Monroe just went from a sure thing to a long shot for the Knicks after comments he made at his bball clinic that was reported by the NY Post. He's looking to sign a short-term deal and wants to sign with a winning club for this year. The winning team is probably not the Knicks but is a short term deal something the Knicks want to do or are the Knicks looking for longer term deals with young players like Monroe. Is there still a match to be made between the Knicks and Monroe based on his comments?

There's a match but this could prove to be a blessing down the road if he ends up signing elsewhere. If he signs here we all know he's not a missing piece as to why he did.

mafra

Legend

I wouldn't read too much into this (after all, he mentions BOS, MIL POR as his other options). When LA leaves POR, then NY as good as any of those teams b/c we have the biggest star + a high lottery selection). This is his agent's retort to NYK leaking interest in WEST. The key is he'll take a 2-yr deal... Ergo, give him1 mil this year... he opts out and gets a max next year, when we an sign him! That extra cash helps.

mafra

Legend
Carmelo Anthony has put in phone calls to DeAndre Jordan and LaMarcus Aldridge, but has also put in calls to Greg Monroe and Arron Afflalo, sources told ESPN.

When we're tracking who a player is calling before free agency even begins, things are officially ridiculous. Regardless, the Knicks have a much better chance at landing realistic targets like Monroe and AA than Jordan and Aldridge, so perhaps Melo is actually doing his organization a favor.

New York's pitch to Jordan will be that he would be the team's second option behind Anthony, as opposed to the third option he currently is with the Clippers behind Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Sources say that is an important distinction to Jordan.

The Knicks will also emphasize that in the Eastern Conference, the road to becoming an All-Star and a playoff team is much less clogged than in the West.
--------------

WOJO tweeted that NYK favorite to sign both Monroe & Affalo.

The Knicks are frontrunners for Arron Afflalo in free agency.

The Knicks really need some help on the wing, so expect them to go after guys like DeMarre Carroll and Wesley Matthews, too. Afflalo had an abysmal finish with the Blazers last year, averaging 10.6 points, 2.7 boards, 1.1 assists, 0.4 steals and 1.4 treys on 41.4 percent from the field in 30.1 minutes. Afflalo wasn't great with the Nuggets last year either, so the Knicks will be hoping he can be more like the 2013-14 version of himself.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I wouldn't read too much into this (after all, he mentions BOS, MIL POR as his other options). When LA leaves POR, then NY as good as any of those teams b/c we have the biggest star + a high lottery selection). This is his agent's retort to NYK leaking interest in WEST. The key is he'll take a 2-yr deal... Ergo, give him1 mil this year... he opts out and gets a max next year, when we an sign him! That extra cash helps.

Mafra sorry to say but there is no comparison as a power forward playing alongside Carmelo Anthony vs playing alongside Anthony Davis...absolutely none

Not sure how serious Monroe is with playing back home, this could a ploy to make sure he gets a Max Offer for whoever wants to sign him.

Good job on the DeAndre Jordan front Mafra. I love when we contribute collectively. This board has gotten a lot better past few mos.

Broadway

All Star
Carmelo Anthony has put in phone calls to DeAndre Jordan and LaMarcus Aldridge, but has also put in calls to Greg Monroe and Arron Afflalo, sources told ESPN.

When we're tracking who a player is calling before free agency even begins, things are officially ridiculous. Regardless, the Knicks have a much better chance at landing realistic targets like Monroe and AA than Jordan and Aldridge, so perhaps Melo is actually doing his organization a favor.

New York's pitch to Jordan will be that he would be the team's second option behind Anthony, as opposed to the third option he currently is with the Clippers behind Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Sources say that is an important distinction to Jordan.

The Knicks will also emphasize that in the Eastern Conference, the road to becoming an All-Star and a playoff team is much less clogged than in the West.
--------------

The Knicks really need some help on the wing, so expect them to go after guys like DeMarre Carroll and Wesley Matthews, too. Afflalo had an abysmal finish with the Blazers last year, averaging 10.6 points, 2.7 boards, 1.1 assists, 0.4 steals and 1.4 treys on 41.4 percent from the field in 30.1 minutes. Afflalo wasn't great with the Nuggets last year either, so the Knicks will be hoping he can be more like the 2013-14 version of himself.

Why are the Knicks interested in signing/trading for every former teammate(Smith, K-Mart, Camby, Billups, Afflalo) of Carmelo when the argument for Carmelo was that his past teams were never good enough?

mafra

Legend
Mafra sorry to say but there is no comparison as a power forward playing alongside Carmelo Anthony vs playing alongside Anthony Davis...absolutely none

Not sure how serious Monroe is with playing back home, this could a ploy to make sure he gets a Max Offer for whoever wants to sign him.

Good job on the DeAndre Jordan front Mafra. I love when we contribute collectively. This board has gotten a lot better past few mos.

I aid biggest star, but that meat of the teams mentioned affiiliated with Monroe. He's from Louisiana, and AD is better than Melo, so is Lebron, Steph, Durant... but they aren't recruiting GM.

tiger0330

Legend
Not real excited about Affalo I would rather bring in Cory Brewer. 11 ppg career scorer and he's looking for a 3 yr 36M deal WTF, look at Wes Matthews for the 13-15M he wants rather than Affalo.

Is DJ even capable of becoming a second option when his entire offensive game is dunks and putbacks. Dwight Howard looks like Tim Duncan next to DJ with that post game DJ has and DH ain't no Tim Duncan. That 2nd option and he could be an All-Star in the EC is pretty weak but I guess you try everything including "You'll get to play in an offensive system that no one else runs in the NBA."

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

--------------

This is the moment we've been waiting for! Best case, Aldridge decides to come to NY and we'd have an incredible front court. Worse case, we get Monroe and Afflalo which aint a bad start. We'd be pretty deep at the two spot with Affalo and Jeran Grant. The Knicks may have a better shot at getting DeAndre Jordan. I'd like to see Danny Green but the stories for him have fizzled out.

Kiyaman

Legend
Im with Tiger on DeAndre Jordan being a scoring option on a run-gun team "putbacks n fastbreak dunks"
Melo dont have a run-gun game, so dont expect run-gun FA to sign with Knicks

Wes Mathews injury may keep him out next season, and Affalo didnt do well replacing Mathews in postseason games