Knicks Free Agency 2015

He's a no name in the sense it was reported after the NDour gaff the Knicks were looking to sign a more established player. Welp this squashes that theory. We lost NDour because we wouldn't give him the guaranteed money. Saunders is no more prominent than Galloway at this point.

Broadway, you of all people surprise me by being upset over losing Ndour because we would not give him the season and a half guaranteed that Dallas gave him. Especially given how much you have questioned our glut at PF. I'm wondering if anyone will change their tune when Ndour doesn't get any minutes in Dallas or if people will still say we should have given up cap space for next season to have yet another end of the bench guy.

Broadway

All Star
I saw him in summer league with the Jazz. Scratching my head on this one, he was meh in summer league, dozens of guys were better and they sign him to a partially guaranteed contract?

Its a minor signing but the pattern of the FA signings on top of the guys they let go or passed on makes me question even more this front office. One thing you can say after a year of Phil is the legend of Phil and his rings means squat when bringing in talent to the Knicks.

Not sure I get why these training camp partially guaranteed signings bother people so much. Would people really rather we give a guy like Ndour a one and a half year guaranteed contract when he had one great Summer League game and was pedestrian in the other four? All PJ did was sign a couple of 4-year seniors, one of which was a big, athletic combo guard (6'5") and the other a great college defensive player to partially guaranteed deals.

If you want to get excited about meaningless stats from meaningless games (like people got excited about Ndour), how about Atkins' average stat line from the NBA's Portsmouth Invitational: 20.0 points 10.3 rebounds and 3.7 blocks.

Tig I guess the way it works is Atkins and Saunders will be the DA MAN camp invites to replace DA MAN camp invites who were on our summer league team last yr in Sherrod Wright(New York bred) and Todd Mayo.

Although the latter guys never got called up last yr, who were once the seasoned 3-4yr undrafted collegiate players and more than likely won't make our team this yr, that's okay.

The former guys are a different type of signing because with a yr past the new signings, are now 1-2yrs younger. So it's a matter of replacing the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the guy.

How could we forget the great camp invite in Orlando Sanchez...although older the gem may have signed a deal overseas...these new fresh signings though become the new shiny Langstons. Langston should be worried actually because his deal isn't guaranteed.

Plus Wesley has sport analyst blood in him, his uncle is John Saunders probably stands a chance to be really good at this is what all my notes say.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Broadway, you of all people surprise me by being upset over losing Ndour because we would not give him the season and a half guaranteed that Dallas gave him. Especially given how much you have questioned our glut at PF. I'm wondering if anyone will change their tune when Ndour doesn't get any minutes in Dallas or if people will still say we should have given up cap space for next season to have yet another end of the bench guy.

I brought this up as a question as this is a valid one. I asked right after the signing what do people believe his numbers will look like if he gets minutes in comparison to any Knick FC player this yr. I should have qualified this when asked and excluded Lopez and O'Quinn.

He may not get minutes in Dallas. Here's the deal though...as I've stated before.....when Thomas and Lance were signed and some scratched our head why, the retort then was...listen guys they won't get heavy minutes they're just depth and filler signings. Now that we lost NDour it's well guys where would he play?

So translating all the rebuttal. This means Lopez/O'Quinn/Williams/Melo are most certainly getting the minutes at front court....with Lou and Lance getting love as backups(they will play). So where does #kporzee play then? See how this vicious cycle of logic works?

Here's the key Lou and Lance signed 1 yr deals and aren't 23 yrs old. Therefore why not have someone like NDour platoon with him on a very cheap multi-yr deal so they can grow together?

Broadway

All Star
Dallas with a way more successful front office thought Ndour was worth that guaranteed deal and it wasn't just off of one summer league game. He showed a motor, hops, defensive intensity and a jump shot making it worth the risk for them to give him that deal.

If Saunders or Atkins had shown what NDour had shown in summer league I would be excited by these signings. I'm not disappointed by the signings either, every year you get deals like this and 95% of the guys never make the roster and these two guys are no different. I just would like the Knicks to sign guys that could actually make the team, Atkins teammate Jonathan Simmons comes to mind.

Yeah and he got signed by the Spurs(of all teams) on a multi-yr deal. He's a beast, he just needs playing time.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
“It’s tricky. The question is who to offer the big money to?” Jackson said in the latest installment of his in-season interviews with his pal Charley Rosen, which was published Monday by ESPN. “A guy who’s an established player or someone who has sky-high potential? Also, there are, and always have been, really good players who are not winners − guys like Joe Barry Carroll, Glenn Robinson and many more whom I don’t care to name.
“And then there’s someone like Marc Gasol, who’s certainly a winner and would have to be paid somewhere around $18 million, a number that would severely limit what we could offer other players. We’d wind up with starters only getting about $5 million.”

“One problem is the state and the city tax here. There are places like Texas and Florida that have none of these taxes,” Jackson told Rosen. “Even so, New York is still a big draw. Nothing can duplicate the lifestyle here.”

“I heard through the grapevine that (Dragic) was open to coming here,” Jackson said. “We worked hard on that possibility, but the asking price was too dear. Maybe we worked on that possibility so much so that it distracted us. I mean, Dragic is every team’s current choice for a nuclear option − a guard who can penetrate and either score or kick. Guys like Chris Paul and James Harden. But, anyway, that’s not really the way I want us to play.”

Jackson again explained trading J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert by pointing out their flaws. In his previous interview with Rosen, Jackson said Smith “exhibited delinquent behavior.” In the story published Monday, Jackson essentially called Smith too selfish for the triangle.
“As I’ve mentioned before, J.R. was more interested in hunting for his own shots than in buying into the triangle. Plus, he has a player’s option for next season that would limit our flexibility.
“As for Shumpert, mainly because of injuries, he’d take one step forward and two steps backward. And because of a salary ‘hold’ on his rookie contract, a CBA format that limits available money in free agency. In the end, we didn’t have many other realistic options, and the dollar matchups made the deal work.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/phil-jackson-underestimated-rise-salary-cap-article-1.2306029

Considering Gasol and Alridge were never ever coming here, I think Phil did a decent job of dividing the money and signing 4 decent players.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
MikeAScotto

New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Washington Wizards continue to show interest in Kevin Seraphin, league sources tell Sheridan Hoops.

MikeAScotto

Knicks, Rockets and Mavericks remain interested in Lakers free agent forward Carlos Boozer, league sources tell Sheridan Hoops.

Seraphin > Boozer

tiger0330

Legend

Considering Gasol and Alridge were never ever coming here, I think Phil did a decent job of dividing the money and signing 4 decent players.
They overpaid Lopez and for the 5M they paid Williams they could have kept Aldrich, Bargnani and Shved. Not sure why they needed to sign Williams one week into FA like he was a hot commodity but he's the guy that will be a litmus test for Phil's ability to judge talent.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
They overpaid Lopez and for the 5M they paid Williams they could have kept Aldrich, Bargnani and Shved. Not sure why they needed to sign Williams one week into FA like he was a hot commodity but he's the guy that will be a litmus test for Phil's ability to judge talent.

Lopez got fair market value for a C and I'll reserve judgement on Williams until I see him play here.

I didn't want Bargnani back under any circumstances. The just oozes losing. Aldrich and Shved are end of the bench players so no big deal.

Broadway

All Star
Lopez got fair market value for a C and I'll reserve judgement on Williams until I see him play here.

I didn't want Bargnani back under any circumstances. The just oozes losing. Aldrich and Shved are end of the bench players so no big deal.

Actually Lopez should have got closer to what Koufos received. Is Lopez even a Top 15 center in this league? I think I can name 15 players at his position I'd rather have over him.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Actually Lopez should have got closer to what Koufos received. Is Lopez even a Top 15 center in this league? I think I can name 15 players at his position I'd rather have over him.

Koufos is a backup C. Lopez is an established starting C and one of the best defensively.

Broadway

All Star
Koufos is a backup C. Lopez is an established starting C and one of the best defensively.

Just because you start doesn't mean you should be overpaid.....

Afflalo is a starting 2 guard, that doesn't mean he should get DeMarre Carroll money

Damian Lillard is a starter that doesn't mean he should get Anthony Davis money

Reggie Jackson is a starter that doesn't mean he should be making Russell Westbrook money

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Just because you start doesn't mean you should be overpaid.....

Afflalo is a starting 2 guard, that doesn't mean he should get DeMarre Carroll money

Damian Lillard is a starter that doesn't mean he should get Anthony Davis money

Reggie Jackson is a starter that doesn't mean he should be making Russell Westbrook money

$13.5M is the equivalent of about $10M next season with the cap rise. Which is not bad for Lopez at all. And Carroll got almost double of what Afflalo got. Phil did not overpay at all.

Broadway

All Star
$13.5M is the equivalent of about $10M next season with the cap rise. Which is not bad for Lopez at all. And Carroll got almost double of what Afflalo got. Phil did not overpay at all.

The point of mentioning Afflalo went right over your head. Phil should have given Lopez an Afflalo type deal not Tyson Chandler(who none of us would have wanted Phil to re-up at $54mil) had we kept him.

A bad deal is a bad deal. I get tired of this, "but when the cap rises" talk. A good deal is a good deal the same way.

tiger0330

Legend
Javelle Mcgee at the top of his game only got a 4yr/44M deal and he was putting up better rebounding and scoring numbers when he got his deal then Lopez. Lopez is also an overrated defender, he has a DRtg of 108 over his career and 104 last year in Portland his best DRtg since he's been in the league. Mozgov who I think is better signed a 15M/3yr deal with the Nuggets his last contract.

PJ definitely overpaid for him, I want to see if he's able to pick up the scoring slack on the Knicks. If he does he may be worth his contract.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
The point of mentioning Afflalo went right over your head. Phil should have given Lopez an Afflalo type deal not Tyson Chandler(who none of us would have wanted Phil to re-up at $54mil) had we kept him.

A bad deal is a bad deal. I get tired of this, "but when the cap rises" talk. A good deal is a good deal the same way.

exactly... lopez deal is bad under this cap and any cap, I don't care how big the cap gets..

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Javelle Mcgee at the top of his game only got a 4yr/44M deal and he was putting up better rebounding and scoring numbers when he got his deal then Lopez. Lopez is also an overrated defender, he has a DRtg of 108 over his career and 104 last year in Portland his best DRtg since he's been in the league. Mozgov who I think is better signed a 15M/3yr deal with the Nuggets his last contract.

PJ definitely overpaid for him, I want to see if he's able to pick up the scoring slack on the Knicks. If he does he may be worth his contract.

good post tiger.... and great point about moz deal.. moz looked like a heck of a center in the playoffs.. and he is playing on a much cheaper deal than lopez... lopez is not a scorer at all, so I don't expect much out of him there..

Knixy

Benchwarmer

Well, Lopez is a little younger than Chandler and a better fit in the triangle. I think 15% of your cap on a starting C is ideal. I know Lopez isn't a star but he'll help. Especially defensively. Of course you would have proffered to get any player at a cheaper price but that's not what the market was this summer. If Mozgov was a free agent this summer, he too would have gotten $13.5M/yr. There was just no way you would have gotten Lopez or any starting C for $8M. C's always get a lot of money.

Knixy

Benchwarmer

If McGee had Lopez's brain and work ethic, he'd be a really good player. But I think Lopez will do good for us. Especially defensively. Maybe I'm being a homer but I'm sort of expecting Lopez to have the same type of impact Chandler had here in 2012. I don't think Lopez will be an All-Star or DPOY but he'll change the culture.