Knicks Free Agency 2015

Broadway

All Star
Stop praising Sam Hinkie. He took a franchise that had made the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons and gave it back to back below 20 win seasons. He gets a million picks and does nothing with them but gets more picks. He is literally the only GM that I could guarantee would make a bigger mess out of our franchise than our actual front offices have done.

Yeah because Jrue Holiday, Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner, and Thaddeus Young was gonna take Philly to heights never seen before. Nice players in given situations but they had no other choice but to abort course.

The only mistake Hinkie has made is avoiding the medical red flags on Embid. But he has some of the best collection of young talent in the league in...

Noel, Okafor, Wroten, Covington, Grant, Wilbiken(he'll be a league surprise)

In 1 post you said the season hinges on Grant and #kporzee developing and Melo being Melo. What you fail to realize neither will happen with great success. Grant and #kporzee would only have a chance if Melofest was completely aborted.

Philly could easily say what you said in that their future hinges on Okafor and Noel along with picks and future cap space aligning perfectly.

The biggest difference between the two courses....the half part of our course has a short shelf life and has already proven over and over is a fail.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
You guys get so worked up about these trivial moves like signing Vujacic. This season is about developing Porzingis and Grant. Literally almost every scenario turns out great if these two guys prove themselves to be the future of this team and literally almost every scenario turns out miserable if both these guys are busts.

Complain all you want about overpaying for Lopez. He is a guy who I like everything about except his price tag, which is a refreshing change with this team.

O'Quinn was a good signing. He is going to bust heads next to Porzingis in the 2nd unit, if we decide to go that route.

Affalo is a decent low risk, high reward signing. I wouldn't get too excited about him, but he literally was the 'best' we were going to do in this free agency period given our miserable last season.

Complain all you want about the Derrick Williams signing...because, y'know, it's a probably a bad signing. Oh well.

This season is also about Melo. Can we commit to the rebuild and trade him to improve the future or do we continue to hold onto this idea that we can somehow build a 'championship' team around him?

At least this season should be more interesting than the last one. Not about to get all upset about Vujacic and a couple partially guaranteed undrafted players.
I think we're in agreement that this season is going to be about finding out whether Zinger and Grant have the goods to quickly develop into NBA starters putting up double/doubles for the Knicks.

The difference is I didn't expect the worst season in Knicks history with Phil Jackson on board and fans like myself were targeting this season with the cap space as an off season that the Knicks would make real progress in regaining respectability.

You're in the patience camp looking at the Knicks as a 3 year and beyond team to become a playoff contender and longer to contend for a championship. A lot of Knicks fans had higher expectations for the teams esp. this off-season, if the signings don't pan out this year and Williams is a bust, Lopez is stout defensively but doesn't pick up his career scoring numbers on a team that needs his scoring and O'Quinn remains the career backup he was in Orlando then you can start writing off next year when the Knicks don't have a first round pick and not enough cap space to sign a Kevin Durant.

I didn't see much progress this off-season with these signings, real disappointing when you look back at when Dolan signed Phil Jackson to that huge contract to run the Knicks calling him the smartest guy he had talked to about bball. ESPN ran this article about the Knicks off-season signings and I've been waiting for the annual ESPN computer rankings that turned out to be too optimistic about last season when they predicted that the Knicks would not have a .500 record but would still make the playoffs in a weak EC. The article gives you a glimpse of what the ESPN computer predictions are going to say and I don't think they'll be predicting playoffs for them.

[h=3]A Knicks Rebound in Free Agency?[/h]
i

The Knicks have been aggressive suitors in the summer free agency market, inking six players to new contracts. Unfortunately, only one of them is projected to create any real surplus value, while two deals rate as big overpays. The other three are basically a wash.
Let's start with the good news. Kyle O'Quinn looks like a potential steal at $11.74 million for three years (with a fourth-year player option). The athletic rim protector spent his first three seasons as a backup big for Orlando. But with his improving offensive game and respectable RPM impact (+0.45), O'Quinn could conceivably emerge as a quality starter for New York. But even if he becomes nothing more than a 20-minutes-per-game rotation big, he'll still generate $12 million in projected surplus value for the Knicks.
Unfortunately, O'Quinn is most effective at the center position, the same spot now occupied by Robin Lopez, whom the team just signed at a cost of over $12 million per year. Lopez is a quality big -- a much better defender than his brother Brook, though less skilled offensively -- and he's probably worthy of his new contract. But at a predicted RPM impact of only +1.5 next season, with some expected age-related decline thereafter, the 27-year-old rates as merely a break-even signee in surplus value terms.
By far the team's worst signings are those of Arron Afflalo ($16 million) and Derrick Williams ($10 million), both of whom are projected to contribute at below replacement level due to particularly poor defensive play. While Afflalo was once regarded as a lockdown perimeter defender, advanced metrics -- especially RPM -- suggest that his impact in recent seasons has been a decidedly negative.

To summarize: Despite the Knicks' smart pickup of Kyle O'Quinn, the team is projected at a net -$22 million in surplus value from their six free agent transactions. In other words, they likely overspent for the modest infusion of talent they acquired. In so doing, they made little apparent progress on the path back toward NBA respectability.

tiger0330

Legend
I think Bynum is done, probably couldn't pass a physical now. Sasha also signed for more than the vet's min eating into the room exception of 2.8M. They have about 1.45 of the exception left and vet min contracts, makes it tougher to get a big man.
Daily News looks like they were wrong, ESPN reports that Sasha signed for the vets min so the Knicks still have the whole room exception to sign someone.

Yeah because Jrue Holiday, Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner, and Thaddeus Young was gonna take Philly to heights never seen before. Nice players in given situations but they had no other choice but to abort course.

The only mistake Hinkie has made is avoiding the medical red flags on Embid. But he has some of the best collection of young talent in the league in...

Noel, Okafor, Wroten, Covington, Grant, Wilbiken(he'll be a league surprise)

In 1 post you said the season hinges on Grant and #kporzee developing and Melo being Melo. What you fail to realize neither will happen with great success. Grant and #kporzee would only have a chance if Melofest was completely aborted.

Philly could easily say what you said in that their future hinges on Okafor and Noel along with picks and future cap space aligning perfectly.

The biggest difference between the two courses....the half part of our course has a short shelf life and has already proven over and over is a fail.

I get what you are saying, but I'm not sure how you got from my post that I think this season depends on 'Melo being Melo'. I brought his name up in the context of trading him to go into full rebuild.

Kiyaman

Legend
They overpaid Lopez and for the 5M they paid Williams they could have kept Aldrich, Bargnani and Shved. Not sure why they needed to sign Williams one week into FA like he was a hot commodity but he's the guy that will be a litmus test for Phil's ability to judge talent.

Yes, Phil overpaid Lopez to play a position he is not dominating at (center), especially without having dominating lowpost bigmen teammates to follow .. we need not to get it twisted Brook Lopez is a center .. Rubin Lopez is a hustling PF u tandem in a lineup with a veteran rebounding bigman.

Instead of Williams, I wouldve gave that $5M (plus a extra $1M) to FA Jordan Hill, a ex-Knick 2009 early draft pick .. Lopez/Hill/Melo frontline would make us a .500 team in the East .. a playoff team. Lopez & Hill rebounding, hustle, and defense wouldve gave Knicks fans the optimism for a winning season. The Pacer's gave Jordan Hill a $5M one year contract.

Kiyaman

Legend
Perfectly said ...

To summarize: Despite the Knicks' smart pickup of Kyle O'Quinn, the team is projected at a net -$22 million in surplus value from their six free agent transactions. In other words, they likely overspent for the modest infusion of talent they acquired. In so doing, they made little apparent progress on the path back toward NBA respectability.

tiger0330

Legend
Here's something from Clyde Frazier on Melo, the triangle and Grant. If he wasn't an MSG employee I'm sure he would have said spending 30M on this batch of FA's sucked. I'm surprised how candid he was about Melo and unlike us the fan his gut feeling about Melo asking for a trade means something.

Q: What did you think of what the Knicks did this offseason?

A: I think $30 million obviously doesn't get you what it used to. So I think they did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. So they had an option: try to get superstars or try to build like Atlanta has done without superstars -- like Toronto, like Washington. Some teams in the Eastern Conference have had success with that. So I think that's what their game plan is right now: Try to get some good players and then maybe later on try to get a superstar.
Q: The Knicks drafted Kristaps Porzingis, a guy who is a couple years away from being able to help you win night in and night out. Then there's Carmelo Anthony, who is 31 and here for another four years. How does he fit in because it seems like they are looking at a future that might not fit within his window?

A: I'm sure Melo wasn't happy. His future is now. You know, he’s not getting younger. This is going to be a pivotal season for him to see really how he fits into the Knick plans and how this is going to go from here. Will he ask out, you know what I mean, if he sees that this is not happening? Because right now the Knicks, [it's] going to be tough to make the playoffs. They are a few years away and Melo knows that his days are numbered, so stay tuned.
Q: What did you see, if anything, that was different about the Knicks' offense during the summer league compared to what you saw last season?
A: Sometimes in summer league they weren’t using the triangle and they seemed to have better continuity. When they go to the triangle they seem to be more methodical, apprehensive. So that’s what the coaching staff has got to work out.

Q: Do you think that sticking solely with the triangle, as the Knicks did last year, would work if they weren’t as methodical or do you think it’s wise to work in some pick and roll to speed things up?
A: You’ve got to have versatility, especially with the guys that they have. They’re not as adept as the guys Jackson has had in the past. If that’s not working, you’ve got to go to Plan B.
Q: What did you think of Knicks rookie Jerian Grant in summer league?
A: Initially, I didn’t like the [Tim] Hardaway trade. But now because of the acquisition of Grant, [I liked it]. You’ve got to give to get and we definitely needed a point guard so I think that was a good move.

Q: Can Grant be a solid contributor, a regular rotation guy as a rookie?
A: I think he’s going to start for the Knicks. It’s inevitable.

Broadway

All Star
Probably Phil's best signing but it just goes to show how he overpaid for Lopez and things are getting crowded #kporzee

mafra

Legend
Knicks sign F/C Kevin Seraphin.

Seraphin's deal is reportedly for one year and $2.8 million and he'll now have an opportunity to carve out decent minutes in New York's frontcourt. While the 27-year-old hasn't produced much in his NBA career, he should be able to provide some fantasy value for owners in deeper leagues as long as he can solidify a spot for himself in the Knicks rotation.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Good signing this late in free agency! We needed another C and Seraphin is underrated. He has an old school game and a really nice hook shot.

tiger0330

Legend
Good signing this late in free agency! We needed another C and Seraphin is underrated. He has an old school game and a really nice hook shot.
A skeptic would ask if he's so good why did he take a paycut and a 1 year deal. Thought Seraphin would be better by now. PJ has been getting some good reviews on the guys he's signed but I'm not convinced, prove me wrong PJ that this team has the goods to make the playoffs.

Broadway

All Star
A skeptic would ask if he's so good why did he take a paycut and a 1 year deal. Thought Seraphin would be better by now. PJ has been getting some good reviews on the guys he's signed but I'm not convinced, prove me wrong PJ that this team has the goods to make the playoffs.

Phil personally likes Thomas as does Fisher who also likes Amundson

Lopez/O'Quinn/Seraphin/Thomas/Amundson with a dash of Melo and or Williams at the 4? So where does THE GREAT KRISTAPS PORZINGIS fit in all of this?

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
To be honest this is just a mess. I mean PJAx is making 12 million a year to sign career backups like O'quinn and now the Seraphin or whatever?? Are tickets at MSG gonna be half price this year because they should be. What a hot mess this is. This is a 28-30 win team if we are lucky. No first rounder next year so now what??? Melo will definitely waive his no trade claus and run from this cluster****. Welcome back to the VanHorn days KNIcKs fans. Thanks a lot Phil for the epic FAIL. Matter fact I'm gonna start calling him Fail Jackson:)

Knixy

Benchwarmer
What did you guys expect Phil to do this summer? And please don't try to tell me you were expecting Aldridge or Gasol.

tiger0330

Legend
What did you guys expect Phil to do this summer? And please don't try to tell me you were expecting Aldridge or Gasol.
I'm really hoping he can trade Calderon. The Knicks won't be able to make any more moves having used the last of the cap space, trading Calderon would open up some flexibility.

The problem with trading Calderon is he's got negative value and you have to give up picks and players to dump him. Major boo boo by Phil getting an untradeable player like Calderon.

Broadway

All Star
I'm really hoping he can trade Calderon. The Knicks won't be able to make any more moves having used the last of the cap space, trading Calderon would open up some flexibility.

The problem with trading Calderon is he's got negative value and you have to give up picks and players to dump him. Major boo boo by Phil getting an untradeable player like Calderon.

Remember when Phil traded for Calderon and Larkin what was said?

Remember when Phil drafted Early and Thanasis what was said?

Remember when Phil signed Jason Smith what was said?

Remember when Phil traded for Quincy Acy what was said?

Remember when Phil said Andrea Bargnani was a deadly shooter?

Remember when Phil resigned Cole Aldrich?

Remember when Phil picked up Alexy Shved?

Now that the scoreboards say 0-0 on this coming season, fans have moved on to the next group of additions of greatness.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Remember when Phil traded for Calderon and Larkin what was said?

Remember when Phil drafted Early and Thanasis what was said?

Remember when Phil signed Jason Smith what was said?

Remember when Phil traded for Quincy Acy what was said?

Remember when Phil said Andrea Bargnani was a deadly shooter?

Remember when Phil resigned Cole Aldrich?

Remember when Phil picked up Alexy Shved?

Now that the scoreboards say 0-0 on this coming season, fans have moved on to the next group of additions of greatness.
With all the 1 year contracts, fans are going to be doing this again next off-season with the next group of "champions" that PJ/Mills bring in. If there is a plan at Penn Plaza I sure don't see it.