[Article] Jackson Would Listen To Isiah

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Portions of the article

New York Post said:
While Phil Jackson repeated he would "have to listen" to a Knicks offer, president Isiah Thomas said his next coach would not have to worry about input into personnel decisions.
Jackson confidant Charley Rosen said Sunday he doubts his buddy would accept a Knicks job because he would need "veto power" as far as player moves.

"Any coach I hire will have a say," Thomas responded yesterday.

Jackson said in a TV interview from the Australian Open Sunday night he had yet to be contacted but has a "connection" with Thomas, adding "Isiah and I have a friendship that goes back a long ways."

Thomas plans to make a play for Jackson and Pistons coach Larry Brown, a native of Long Beach who recently finished building his retirement home in East Hampton. Thomas considers them the top coaches in the game because they make individual players overachieve.

During preseason, Jackson first made his interest known but he could be using the Knicks as leverage.

"What I did say is that I'd have to listen if they came and talked," Jackson said. "I'd have to listen to them but that's not saying I'd be ready to coach."

http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2209

rady

Administrator
Staff member
there was a video file on espn motion and don't know how it happened but i lost it. phil was talking about the knicks and isiah and when i tried to upload it something happened.
anyone else seen it? if you have it, please send it to me

it's called hu_050124philjackson1v.wm9_548k.motion_trans.wmv
if you have that feature installed, go for a search

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
Yes i must admit after reading that article i do see the benefits of Larry Brown coaching the Knicks instead of Phil Jackson, but i still won't be complaining if Phil is walking the sidelines at MSG.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Whos a better fit for the Knicks?

Too me they are pretty much even. Both have good training/practice theories. Both demand and have earned respect. Both are winners. The only things that slightly scares me is our lack of a great big man and the triangle O. BUT its PHIL JACKSON im sure, very sure hed be able to adapt with what we have and make some strides withhis veto/trade power (if he gets it) to get the players he needs to adapt. But when it comes to NEW YORK. not the players. not the team. but when its comes to NEW YORK the city and fans. Phil Jackson would be the better coach. Sure we would love a winner no matter what and Brown would do a good job BUT when it is a big name, a STAR, a former Knick, like it is with Jackson hes the perfect fit.

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
Is Larry Brown a guy from NY ?? Well it's not a former knicks but...

I agree with you for the triangle O. I said the same in an other topic. I was worried about that but Phil always brings the players to make it works.

Tose two guys have different ways and arguments to make the knicks better, even a contender, futur will tell us who will be the one.

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
Yes the triangle offence was the first thing that came to mind with Phil coaching the Knicks and if the Knicks would have the suitable players to make the offence effective.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
as of right now, i have no respect for phil jackson as a coach. but, if he came to the knicks now, and not some time in the future when they may be able to upgrade talent, i'd respect him more. if he can be the one to help turn this team around, or make this team overachieve (id say winning the atlantic and 45 games and getting past the 1st rd of playoffs would be overachieving), then he'd earn my respect. but he wont. he will wait to see if the knicks get some upgrades, and then maybe take a job. and he'll only want to come into a situation where he can get the credit, and that will be tough with isiah as the gm. it will never work out. 2 guys with enormous egos who actaully aren't even the best at what they do, or even close to being the best.

NYKnicks15

Starter
quick question...why dont you have any respect for Phil as a coach??

I think right now Phil would be the better pick for reasons i stated earlier (bigger name, former knick, big star) i like brown dont get me wrong but i am really not sure on someone who has stated he wants to end his career sooner rather than later. I think it mite work between Phil and Isiah but then again who am I kidding. but then again who knows until it happens.

if Phil gets that Veto/approval power he wants...itll be good for the team i think (isiah wont make any unlevel headed trades and he gets the second opinion of someone thats as educated in Basketball as himself). it could either work out REALLY good or REALLY bad but its worth taking the chance. I think phil will take the job in the offseason once hearing isiahs pitch (granted he makes one) and sees what him and Isiah could possibly do with wheeling and dealing of contracts.

i like both brown and jackson very much. i respect both of them. but id choose the Zen master himself.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
very simple - he won all those championships with very talented rosters. at the end of the day, itst he players who put the ball in the basket, not the coach.

in my opinion, the best coach that i've known is jerry sloan. that guy, for the last 4 years pretty much took a utah team that everyone thought would be one of the worst in the league and made them into playoff contenders. he made karl malone and john stockton look really good. hes one of the few coaches that i can say has made a team overachieve year in and year out.

NYKnicks15

Starter
thought ud say that, and its a valid point. hes lucky haha everywhere he goes he just falls into a great team. when he took the coaching job in Chicago he fell into Michael Jordan and Scottie in LA he fell into kobe & shaq....i think this would be a good oportunity to prove hes not overrated as a coach and can do it with not that big of stars...

jerry sloan is a good coach...but no offense i really dont think its him that made Karl and Stockton look good. i think Karl Malone and John Stockton made themselves aswell as eachother good.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
yeah stockton and malone were good, but sloan was a great coach to bring discipline and a nice system in which they were able to excel. you can definetely say that he got the most out of stockton and malone that any coach could have gotten. and many other coaches may not have been able to do as much with stockton and malone. stockton actually was not a great athlete, not a great shooter, really not a great anything. maybe im exagerating a little bit, but in this day in age, he may never even had a chance to run a team because coaches would say he lacks athletic ability. if he was comming out of college now, he might be drafted in the 2nd round, behind kids who can jump higher or run faster, even though they might not necessarily be better basketball players. basically, im just saying that a coach isnt "great" because he wins a lot of championships. hes "great" because he does the most with what he has. phil jackson has had a lot to work with, and thats why he has been able to win so much. hes overrated, and i wouldnt give a flying hoot if we didnt get him. in fact, i wouldnt want him.

NYKnicks15

Starter
but all u can base that on is fact right? he was given a superstar team everywhere he went...correct....he does have an incredible winning %....correct... he has 9 championship rings...correct....all that is fact, but we have to atleast think he may be doing something right. even if handed superstar players they need his directions in some ways...u dont know if hes overrated until hes given the chance to do something with a group of not superstar players. like the situation with the knicks that he mite be willing to take on...like the saying goes "Dont knock it, until you try it"

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I with Red Auerbach, Larry Brown, and Jeff Van Gundy. These guys all say Phil has "no guts". He always sticks to teams where no real coaching has to be done. If we look at him his record without a "Superstar" he quite an average coach. The bull with him at the helm missed the playoffs when Jordan left. I think Phil should try to take on a project, and shpw us he can really coach. I personally think he won't.