Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Orlndo Magic 7:00pm 11/25/2015

tiger0330

Legend
Skiles coming off the bench with Oladipo is big for them. Their bench is killing ours. Fish may need to do something like that if our second unit looks like they have the past 2 games.

finestrg

Rotation player
Wow---see just before--AA with an airball and he yanks him? WTF is that ish??? Dude's a veteran and probably his 2nd best offensive player. Doesn't even get D-Will in the game--a game we're struggling to put up points, yanking guys in and out of the lineup all over the joint..Nonsense..

mafra

Legend
Oladipo already has 15 FT attempts. A disgrace. He is initiating the contact... All of these arent fouls... Especially when you consider when our guys drive into contact... It is a play-on situation.

Just like last game, our starters jump out to a lead... Subs come in and opponent takes a double digit lead... We trail wire to wire after that.

Our starters not too impressive, at least not enough to enforce their will and take control of the game, for even a brief stint... When 3s arent falling, and second team isnt contributing... We just dont have enough to win. Unlike last year, we can compete (at least)... But gone are the days where Melo is pumping in 35 points. And, most nights, the other team has superior guard play.

tiger0330

Legend
That was a weird play. The Magic just let JC lay it up unmolested after he stopped under the basket. Thats the def of falling asleep.

mafra

Legend
Hard to mount a comeback when you cant get a stop... Ten points from the bench... Affalo is 4-11 from the field... Porz a non-factor on offense (but a good night on defense)...

Bottom line: NYK really struggled offensively both games in FLA... Back to .500 (but a 2-2 road trip isnt a worst case scenario)... Lets hope getting back to MSG will spark the reserves.

MIA, HOU, PHI, and BKN... Lets win 3/4.

Broadway

All Star
Not a good game at all. I'm tired of Fisher playing so many players. We're not that good and Fisher has to find a better mix of players as units on the floor.

tiger0330

Legend
What started out as a promising road trip ended with a lot of question marks. I guess you have to expect that with a team like the Knicks with so many new guys. Let's hope they snap out of it but clearly Fish needs to make adjustments like benching a guy like Sasha completely and giving heavier minutes to Affalo.

Broadway

All Star
Yeah would definitely like to see improved efficiency from #kporzee. As you said It'll come but a lot is on his plate right now, he's a project. You are right, there are guys on this team Fisher shouldn't play, like at all. He needs to do a better job with Grant, seems to be absolutely no direction with him. While Calderon is hitting 3s he's getting obliterated on D, this can only go on for so much longer.

I would prefer

Grant/Galloway/Melo/KP/Lopez

then

Joze/Afflalo/Williams/Thomas/O'Quinn

I don't think our results change if we went with these guys with exact rotation. Do not play Thomas nor O'Quinn more than 15min/gm

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Beast. Nice D game by him but Kiya is right, needs to be more consistent esp on the other side of the ball. It'll fall into place sometime this season.

he is 7'3 it doesn't take much to stick your arms up there and block the shot of someone almost a foot smaller, but I get it knicks fans are trying to find someone to cling to, someone to turn into a star, ok, I got that.. lol .. he should have been doing that vs the rest of the magic who owned the knicks in the paint tho.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Fisher must go.

fisher is not a good coach at this point is seems and maybe he is not a bad coach, but he is not the problem... look around the league, heck the east.. teams are already making adjustments to the knicks, make them put the ball on the floor and score, the knicks struggle from galloway, to grant to porzingis, none of them can get a good look off the dribble, and we just faced two athletic teams, with more talent than the knicks. we caught some breaks with OKC not having durant and the rockets having a bad start, but when we face healthy teams, that are more athletic with length like orlando and miami the knicks will struggle. And that is not fishers fault.

Galloway( and please don't call him gallo, that was another knick) wasn't going to continue shooting 60% from three and lance thomas wasn't going to continue to pray the ball into the basket. they are going to come down, and the knicks need everyone overachieving, and that is just a lot to ask for.. and fisher is not at fault here.

mafra

Legend
he is 7'3 it doesn't take much to stick your arms up there and block the shot of someone almost a foot smaller, but I get it knicks fans are trying to find someone to cling to, someone to turn into a star, ok, I got that.. lol .. he should have been doing that vs the rest of the magic who owned the knicks in the paint tho.

Yawn. Can't explain the beauty of the aurora borealis to somebody who'se born color blind or to someme else fixated on their shoes... When Porzingis is 25 (in 5 years) -- if healthy -- this kid will be more than a star... He'll shine brighter than a hypernova.

That tall, with his athleticism, with that sweet stroke from downtown, combined with the intangibles (mentally tough, a steely will to be great, humble, with natural bball Intelligence)....

I get that you want to defend the fact you called him a bust the moment we selected the Latvian lover... But the doubters are dwindling... Scouts, players, and most NBA insiders, and anybody who has seen this kid in person are practically unanimous in their universal praise of this young man's poise and preparedness.

Karl Malone had Stockton, Dirk had Kidd (when he won a title), Duncan has Manu and Parker, Amar'e had Nash... Power Forwards need solid PGs... Bottom line: Melo and Porz are scoring PF.... They need guards to get them the ball in the right spots, or else defenses will force them into low pct shots.

Did Barkley get the ball at 3-point line, or deep on the wing? No. He got ball on elbow or in the post.

So, yeah... After nearly two decades of futility... Forgive us peons for getting giddy now that we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You are correct tho... Every game we play... The opponent has a significant advantage bc they have superior guard play. The only hope is that Calderon and Affalo get to the point where we can rely on 30 combined points from this halfway decent starting backcourt. Remember, these guys have only been playing together for a few games... It takes time. To be .500 with our schedule is a minor victory, at this point.

Sign Mile Conley Jr this summer and we will be dangerous next season.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Yawn. Can't explain the beauty of the aurora borealis to somebody who'se born color blind or to someme else fixated on their shoes... When Porzingis is 25 (in 5 years) -- if healthy -- this kid will be more than a star... He'll shine brighter than a hypernova.

That tall, with his athleticism, with that sweet stroke from downtown, combined with the intangibles (mentally tough, a steely will to be great, humble, with natural bball Intelligence)....

I get that you want to defend the fact you called him a bust the moment we selected the Latvian lover... But the doubters are dwindling... Scouts, players, and most NBA insiders, and anybody who has seen this kid in person are practically unanimous in their universal praise of this young man's poise and preparedness.

Karl Malone had Stockton, Dirk had Kidd (when he won a title), Duncan has Manu and Parker, Amar'e had Nash... Power Forwards need solid PGs... Bottom line: Melo and Porz are scoring PF.... They need guards to get them the ball in the right spots, or else defenses will force them into low pct shots.

Did Barkley get the ball at 3-point line, or deep on the wing? No. He got ball on elbow or in the post.

So, yeah... After nearly two decades of futility... Forgive us peons for getting giddy now that we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You are correct tho... Every game we play... The opponent has a significant advantage bc they have superior guard play. The only hope is that Calderon and Affalo get to the point where we can rely on 30 combined points from this halfway decent starting backcourt. Remember, these guys have only been playing together for a few games... It takes time. To be .500 with our schedule is a minor victory, at this point.

Sign Mile Conley Jr this summer and we will be dangerous next season.

Dirk probably not as good an example because he's played good portions of his career without a great point guard(s)(Devin Harris, Barrea, Calderon, Terry)

Conversely you have other Power Forwards who produced without a great point guard. Kevin Garnett, Zach, C-Webb, Pau Gasol, Rasheed Wallace, Bosh, Jefferson, Cousins, Davis). So to suggest his greatness depends on point guard play is sketchy at best. Is he performing and showing signs of a special talent? Sure in some cases he has and I won't be one to shortchange what he's done effectively and how he's impacted games this yr. At the same time you continue to teeter going overboard apologizing and pollyanning end game results this season.

Our backcourt is awful because they give up equal or more than the opposition on most nights and they don't make anyone on the team better. Thus #kporzee even going forward has to make up for everything we lack and then some. He literally has to be great near G.O.A.T. We could return with the same or reshuffle with possibly a worse back court next yr. As we saw this offseason we're not a magnet for difference making players.

For the record just in next yrs draft alone in the first round

Boston (4) 1st
Philly (4) 1st
Raptors (2) 1st

All in our division...

mafra

Legend
Boston had all those picks this year... Didn't help much. If one of them gets a lottery pick... A high one at that... Gulp. If that stud from LSU ends up in Philly... Uh-oh...

Kevin Garnett (Marbury, Rondo & Allen), Zach (Mike Conley Jr), C-Webb (J-WilL and Nick Anderson, Plus savvy SFs in Turk & Stoya), Pau Gasol (Kobe), Rasheed Wallace (Billups & Hamilton), Bosh (Wade), Jefferson (Kemba);

Cousins (has Rondo now) and Davis are current examples of dominating big PF who haven't had much guard help... But what's NO's record? How many playoff games Cousins played in? And, what did both of them do their rookie seasons?

Anyway... I Hear what you're saying. And right now, having textbook shooting form doesn't matter if shots don't fall in... Has to swoosh it consistently... And... We don't know if he will ever develop an interior game, to dominate in the post...

Truth is, Ewing made do with below avg guard play... Never made excuses... They dealt away JAX and Strickland, Starks was gritty (but wasn't a natural all-star), Wilkens could play... but NYK was at its best when Mo and Harper then Houston and Spree were here.

Obviously, a post Big can dominate a game easier in the paint... On the post bc all you need to do is dump it in and let them go to work...

Melo had his best seasons with Billups and Kidd. Dirk had Nash and Finley those early years. In 2002... He had Nash, Finley, Van Exel, Avery Johnson and Raja Bell. How about that guard depth.

Anyway... This is why I think Mike Conley would be a smart signing...

I also believe Calderon-Affalo-Galloway will be a decent 3-guard triumvirate by Feb... Just wonder what the trade deadline might bring...

I also believe our 17 win season and the Melo age/injury and the Dolan ownership and media scrutiny of NYC deterred last year's crop of free agents. We can only hope things are different next July... How could NYK compete with SA for LMA? Greg Monroe was basically the one that got away... But all it takes is one player...
Let's hope that one emerges next summer.

Last edited: