Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Miami Heat 7:30pm 2/28/2016

mafra

Legend
Even tho MIA played yesterday and we were off... And we were home... They played like a team that wanted to win and we played like we had to show up bc somebody was paying us to play.

mafra

Legend
To prove this is a guard league... D-Lilliard lost Affalo and Lopez to NYK, Batun was traded to CHA, Aldridge goes to SA and despite all of that... DL has POR above .500 in the West and fighting for a playoff spot.

mafra

Legend
I hope Dolan is hearing all those pro-MIA fans chanting... A 20-9 run turns a 6-point game into a blowout. Like most of us wanted... This team just to compete... They didn't even fight tonight... No effort or competitive zeal...

Joe Johnson shows up and plays first game for MIa and has 12 and 3... Our 4 guards who played combined for 16 & 8.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think I've ever heard cheers for the opposing team as loud in MSG as this game. Usually you just get boos from the MSG faithful but to cheer the other team like that is weird.

After a good showing against the Magic the boys revert back to their old ways. Looks like the team we saw in the 14 losses out of the last 17 are the real Knicks and not the flash in the pan team you saw on Friday.

Kiyaman

Legend
O"Quinn n Serafin seen (DNP) no minutes against Whiteside n a missing Bosh
Grant seen 11 minute of spot-minute with a missing Afflalo in the rotation
u wouldve thought Rambis wouldve assign D.Will to outscore J.Johnson
Melo's 9-24 shooting took his teammates out of the offense

mafra

Legend
O"Quinn n Serafin seen (DNP) no minutes against Whiteside n a missing Bosh
Grant seen 11 minute of spot-minute with a missing Afflalo in the rotation
u wouldve thought Rambis wouldve assign D.Will to outscore J.Johnson
Melo's 9-24 shooting took his teammates out of the offense

Melo's shooting took his team out of its offense? Lol... What were you watching? Most of those shots came when a guard dumped him ball with 5 seconds left...

Calderon was 3-13... Langston was 3-10 (and missed badly on a few wide open looks)... KP was 3-13... Melo should've shot more... Offense wasn't coming from anyplace else.

Langston and Calderon played basically entire game and combined they shot ZERO free throws. How often do you see a starting NBA backcourt play 30-40 minutes each and don't attempt 1 FT?

Again... Melo led team in assists.

Rambis should be let go tonight for playing Calderon 40 minutes. Not playing Grant entire 2nd half (until final
Few minutes) and then not even giving Jimmer a look? We lost anyway... And trailed entire game... Our guards played zero defense... So why not give youth a look?

Broadway

All Star
Melo is looking older and older, he was high volume tonight and almost everyone was inefficient but Thomas and Lopez. Simply can't carry a team anymore not even in the least bit.

mafra

Legend
Melo is looking older and older, he was high volume tonight and almost everyone was inefficient but Thomas and Lopez. Simply can't carry a team anymore not even in the least bit.

Our 4 guards combined shot 7-27; LT had a nice spurt in 2nd quarter when he scored 8 points (but had 4 points rest of game)...

MIA was allowed to play really aggressive and physical defense tonight (were only called for 18 personal fouls)...

Can Melo carry a team? Not anymore...
But let's be fair...he had no help, as usual. Lopez was probably only other option we might have exploited more but he had Whiteside on him... So was that really the smart move?

We hadittle spark off the bench... Our guards were awful and a very good defensive team forces our best (and only good player) into an inefficient scoring night... I'm sure they do that a lot.

tiger0330

Legend
I hope Dolan is hearing all those pro-MIA fans chanting... A 20-9 run turns a 6-point game into a blowout. Like most of us wanted... This team just to compete... They didn't even fight tonight... No effort or competitive zeal...

Joe Johnson shows up and plays first game for MIa and has 12 and 3... Our 4 guards who played combined for 16 & 8.
I want to see some consistency, they played well in IND despite the loss and against the Magic. Laid an egg today, AA could have been the difference? Playoffs were a fantasy before the All-Star break, now all I want to see is effort that results in some kind of winning streak the rest of the season.

mafra

Legend
I want to see some consistency, they played well in IND despite the loss and against the Magic. Laid an egg today, AA could have been the difference? Playoffs were a fantasy before the All-Star break, now all I want to see is effort that results in some kind of winning streak the rest of the season.

They said in post game NY got punched in mouth and wilted... Players wanted no part of matching physical play... Rambis said we missed a bunch of open looks in flow of offense (Calderon and Langston) and Melo was moving ball when he could but, for most part, players dumped him ball and wanted him to score (bc they didn't want to fight for points themselves).

KP was bad on offense but at least he was battling. Same with Melo. Lopez too... Everybody else played poorly (LT showed little heart on defense).

Third time MIA held us under 82 points this year.

Broadway

All Star
I don't think I've ever heard cheers for the opposing team as loud in MSG as this game. Usually you just get boos from the MSG faithful but to cheer the other team like that is weird.

After a good showing against the Magic the boys revert back to their old ways. Looks like the team we saw in the 14 losses out of the last 17 are the real Knicks and not the flash in the pan team you saw on Friday.

It was unusually loud for the Heat, not sure what that was all about. During the telecast our announcers kept saying the Heat fans traveled well.

Broadway

All Star
ORL played 3 games in 4 nights. We didn't win so much as it was a schedule loss for Magic.

I've said it all yr we're not that good, never were, the most telling stat was our record against teams with winning records...an abomination. Our schedule has been somewhat favorable at times and we've been relatively healthy all yr.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
(NY Post)

Amar?e Stoudemire, playing at the Garden for the first time since his Knicks buyout last February, unleashed a series of shots at his former running mate Carmelo Anthony.

Stoudemire, now starting for the Heat in the wake of Chris Bosh?s blood-clot issue, made references to Anthony undermining Jeremy Lin and also not being ?a complete player? or the leader to get the Knicks out of their morass.

Stoudemire, who signed as a free agent with the Heat for the minimum contract over the summer, talked about his heady times as a Knick and regretted the club not re-signing Lin, pointing to in-team jealousies.

?If he stayed, it would?ve been cool,?? Stoudemire said. ?But everyone wasn?t a fan of him being a new star. So he didn?t stay long. Jeremy was a great, great guy, great with teammates, worked hard. He put the work in. We were proud of him having his moment. A lot of times you got to enjoy somebody else?s success. That wasn?t the case for us during that stretch. You got to enjoy that and let that player enjoy himself and cherish those moments. He was becoming a star and I didn?t think everyone was pleased with that.??

Stoudemire didn?t name names but it was clear whom he meant. Anthony had trouble hiding his envy during ?Linsanity.??

When asked specifically about Anthony?s travails, Stoudemire added: ?It?s tough man. You get involved in this situation, you have to take ownership of it. Ownership has to be make sure you make the right decisions for your team and teammates. You have to become a complete player to bring your team out of a rut. And everyone can?t do it. It?s not always easy.??

Anthony joined Stoudemire five years ago this month and the two never clicked on or off the court. Part of the problem was Stoudemire?s chronic knee injuries he?s still managing, but he?s still ticking. As he spoke to reporters in the visitor?s locker room, he was prone on the carpet in his customary black leg-sleeve contraptions.

Stoudemire contended the Knicks? culture has reversed since his early days with the team? no offense, Phil Jackson.

?It?s been a lot going on,?? Stoudemire said. ?And it hasn?t really been great over the years. It?s hard for me to watch from the outside looking in because I was so involved in creating a positive atmosphere with the Knicks and it?s going the opposite way. Hopefully it can turn out well in their future.??

The former $100 million man had no issues with the triangle offense but others did, he suggested. ?I truly bought into it,?? Stoudemire said. ?Maybe three-quarters of the team thought it was great. But if you don?t have a full team that buys into a system, it?s never going to pan out.??

Stoudemire didn?t play in the first three Heat-Knicks meetings. He sat out one game with the flu and didn?t even make the Heat?s previous trip to MSG on Nov. 27. He admitted it was awkward finding his way through the maze to the other locker room.

After being out of the rotation, he has started the past 15 games, even before the Bosh crisis.

?The plan was always big picture,?? Miami coach Erik Spoelstra. ?Whether or not starting, we wanted to bring him along and progress with him with his conditioning and get him used to how we do things.??
?I have mixed emotions,?? Stoudemire said. ?I don?t? want to beat them too bad but then I do.??

Don't be impressed by Heat fans at MSG. They sounded loud on television, but could easily be drowned out by Knicks fans. Problem was, Knicks fans were largely quiet at times for this game, even early in the 1st quarter after the Heat jumped out to early lead.

The MSG crowd has again lost steam. I think a lot of you would remember the Isiah Thomas era when games would be reported as sellouts, but then you'd see pictures of rows and rows of empty seats. Dolan is going to come back into play this offseason. He can't sit back and watch even the legendary Phil Jackson do this to the MSG fanbase.

tiger0330

Legend
Interesting interview with Stat. Didn't know he was a supporter of Lin and confirming there was real jealously in the locker room with his success. I wonder if Melo expressed to Mills it would be a mistake to bring back Lin this off-season.

Most damning thing again is him confirming players dislike for that triangle offense. Scrap the god damn thing already, the Knicks are better off not paying guys more to get them play in it and can't afford to lose talent because they refuse play in it.

Paul1355

All Star
need to start playing Grant more...he instantly made our team faster and gave us rythym. I cant stand watching slow Calderon try to run point when he is either a backup PG or a SG now that he is mainly a shooter. Liked Vujacics defense but he cant score. We need to rely on the young guys more and less on the old guys.

Broadway

All Star
Don't be impressed by Heat fans at MSG. They sounded loud on television, but could easily be drowned out by Knicks fans. Problem was, Knicks fans were largely quiet at times for this game, even early in the 1st quarter after the Heat jumped out to early lead.

The MSG crowd has again lost steam. I think a lot of you would remember the Isiah Thomas era when games would be reported as sellouts, but then you'd see pictures of rows and rows of empty seats. Dolan is going to come back into play this offseason. He can't sit back and watch even the legendary Phil Jackson do this to the MSG fanbase.

While this may be true doesn't make sense because we hadn't really heard this from any other team this yr...thus it was more embarrassing rather than impressive. We've been under .500 for the majority of the yr and in particular struggling the last 15-20gms.

It was loud enough that even the players were uncomfortable with it, no need to try and dumb this down

Broadway

All Star
Interesting interview with Stat. Didn't know he was a supporter of Lin and confirming there was real jealously in the locker room with his success. I wonder if Melo expressed to Mills it would be a mistake to bring back Lin this off-season.

Most damning thing again is him confirming players dislike for that triangle offense. Scrap the god damn thing already, the Knicks are better off not paying guys more to get them play in it and can't afford to lose talent because they refuse play in it.

Stat is a front running sucker loser, just like the one we're still stuck with in Melo. I posted most of what was in the article Mafra posted right before the game with the Tweets. He could have been a real leader when he was here. He could have said all the things above while he was here but he didn't. He spoke in codes and hieroglyphics, not to mention through people under the bus like Dantoni...remember the (I NEVER WAS TAUGHT DEFENSE BEFORE...WOODSON WAS THE FIRST TO TEACH ME) comment?

Stat always looked out for Stat and I detected his bs early. I'll never forget when we went through that rough start his first yr here and as he and Felton started to pick things up a bit...he always looked to separate himself away from the negative results. Especially when the trade rumors started picking up. He said that players like Gallinari, Chandler, Fields...would have to "suck it up ignore it and play". That's a buster of a leader if I ever saw one but he didn't care because he was having a great first half of a season. He's in Miami now front running with them as if he's the Aristotle, Gameliel, Socrates, Plato in the game of perspective...forget him!

Nevertheless you still to this day have fans go out of their way to find any little positive thing to salvage Melo's dignity as a player. Yet the above, what was known and claimed by very few in regards to Melo's jealousy and this was frowned upon by many Knick fans. Why, seriously why? These players have proven over and over they only care about 1 thing...themselves. At least the ones who are cash whores, the ones you'd expect more from. They deserve no defending of character whatsoever.

That's why when you dismantle a bad team, you have to purge every single last drop as if it's a disease. Must eradicate everything to not affect future generations. In Phil's case the disease existed the system naturally but Phil decided to stick his finger in the poopy water and touch every single last door knob in the house with it and now it has harbored itself and spread again. Our results have been devastating, to the extent you have a player like Stat talking down on us and more importantly down on it's star player.

Melo otoh gave this reply when asked about Stat's comments, nice try Melo...more sucker ish

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Standing ovation for Broadway! I wholeheartedly agree with every letter.

Wasn't it Amar'e who chased the money; going to only team willing to hand him a 5-yr contract? Did he put winning ahead of checking account?

Melo being selfish and out for CA and CAA is certainly not a revelation. Kicking somebody when they're down is easy... Did he go to bat for Lin when it was happening?

Last edited: