Phil Jackson taking shots at Jerian Grant

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Some Knicks fans wondered why Jerian Grant didn't play more often. Phil Jackson explains here: "He didn't really deserve more time. He really wasn't helping us win in a lot of ways?. So, the players deserve time when they help a team win. Sometimes kids go out there and can look good but they are not making you move forward. We are really happy that he got these opportunities at the end of the season ? it gave him a lot of confidence and that was important. And now he is going into the summer with confidence and he kind of knows what he can get done and we still have a lot more for him to do."

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0512676202847145993-4

uhm.. on the other hand Vujacic got to be the starting SG without Afflalo being injured.. how does one figure who deserves and who doesn't deserve such oportinities?

Kiyaman

Legend
For some reason i believed Melo n Afflalo didnt want TWO rookies receiving 30 or more minutes of playing-time each night, especially a rookie PG.
The only thing Phil could mention bout Grant is "we should have given Grant more playing-time"
Phil Jackson has not been making much sense about any of his moves from day one .. Phil should mention the truth, the plan was to bond Calderon/AA/Melo/and KP into a triangle-offense lineup .. the 4 players received the majority playing-time on the roster this season.
Phil plan has failed-failed again! for the second season.

paris401

Starter
I think the word came down from Jackson to rambis to not start AA.. maybe get him pissed enough that he will opt out... lets see if it works...

tiger0330

Legend
As much as I wanted to see JG play, Phil is right JG was pretty bad and Calderon was the best PG the Knicks had.

Nice way for JG to end the season and he'll have a golden opportunity to win the starting PG job next season.

Broadway

All Star
As much as I wanted to see JG play, Phil is right JG was pretty bad and Calderon was the best PG the Knicks had.

Nice way for JG to end the season and he'll have a golden opportunity to win the starting PG job next season.

Even if statistically true because Calderon was still garbage, Phil's explanation becomes absolute comical after the Utah game and especially after All-Star break when we were losing at an alarming rate. He's just mad and venting because he knows the rookie wasn't properly developed and he doesn't value the point guard position.

There's no reason to defend Phil here none at all. Not to mention Rambis tried to take credit(with the mention of Cleamons) at the end of season for giving more rope to Grant. Implying that Fisher was the problem. All of these clowns can GTHOH

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil Jackson did not want Fans plus Dolan to see Grant skillz out shine KP in their rookie season.
Grant has skillz that over-match all of KP talent. I said it!
All that BULL PJ was talking bout Grant were for LAME fans .. at the start of the season rookie Grant all-around skills had the majority of FANS wondering why Grant wasn't our starter.

At the start of December Phil/Fisher (9-man rotation) never let ROOKIE Grant get enough playing-time to warm-up on the court or in Fishers many EXPERIMENT bench lineups, coach Fisher started giving Grant spot-minute playing-time (2 to 4 minute) on the court throughout Dec. Jan. Feb. as if Grant were a soiled veteran PG.
What pissed me off the most was the 100 different player lineup Fisher kept putting Rookie Grant on the court with.
We all know the main lineup of players that ROOKIE KP receive the majority of his playing-time with on the court .. Calderon/AA/Melo/KP/Rolo or Lance Thomas.

Paul1355

All Star
http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0512676202847145993-4

uhm.. on the other hand Vujacic got to be the starting SG without Afflalo being injured.. how does one figure who deserves and who doesn't deserve such oportinities?

First off this is Phil defending his trade of acquiring Jose Calderon who became an utter bust. Grant had every reason to start at PG once the all star break hit. Everybody knew Calderon and the Knicks backcourt was the worst in the NBA because Calderon is an old slow non defensive PG that lets other PG's torch your team through penetration in a point guards league. Grant does dumb things, he plays like an idiot, but he has skills that Calderon will never have (speed and court vision) what a PG really needs.