Rajon Rondo and Jeremy Lin Rumored to be Targeted Together for Knicks in Free Agency

Alright, we haven't even reached the NBA Finals yet, but Knicks rumors are starting to go full force for this coming offseason and free agency possibilities. Earlier this week, you can find rumored reports that we will be targeting Joakim Noah if he decides to leave Chicago (which honestly doesn't make a ton of sense to me).

Today, there are internet reports claiming that rumors are surfacing that Phil Jackson plans to target both Rajon Rondo AND Jeremy Lin. That part doesn't sound so crazy. What does sound kind of crazy, is that story states that he will target them as a duo, indicating that he would want both of them.

Here's the link:
http://www.newseveryday.com/article...s-jerremy-lin-rajon-rondo-new-york-knicks.htm

If there is any truth whatsoever to this rumor, it would make some sense that you hire a PG-friendly head coach in Hornacek and then go out and get NBA PGs. Rondo being a target is no surprise, but Lin coming back to the Knicks obviously would be a bizarre turn of events. A starting lineup of Robin Lopez, Porzingis, Melo, Lin, and Rondo would almost certainly make us the league leaders in media attention going into next season.

Is it super premature to start talking free agency? Sure. Is this the flimsiest of flimsy reports to base anything upon? Sure. But honestly, we have at most 8 more games of playoff basketball, then an NBA draft we may or may not buy a late 1st or 2nd round pick into, and otherwise not much else to discuss for a long time. So, I figure no harm in discussing some crazy free agency speculation.

Last edited:
Worth noting that Rondo made 9.5 million this last season and Lin made a little over 2 million this last season. Both obviously dramatically increased their price with their performances this last season, particularly Lin. Obviously, if we were to pursue both players, we are going to likely need to be the highest bidder to get their attention. Afflalo and Derrick Williams declining their player options are going to be a recurring theme in the plausibility of us being able to outbid for any free agent.

paris401

Starter
I don't see A-swallow getting a better offer then his 8m option.. never say never, but he Blows (with a capital 'B')... I think we are stuck with him for next year- no idea about Williams..

I think that unless the zen-master pulls a rabbit out of his a$$, next years team will be real similar to this years team... OUCH... in capital letters

tiger0330

Legend
No harm in discussing it. I've seen articles about acquiring both of them already but not as a Batman/Robin duo.

Not thrilled with the idea either, neither is a sniper, I'm hoping one of the FA's we pick up is going to be a 3pt shooter. I like Lin, thought he would have been a valuable pickup for <3M, more so than AA but he's not an NBA starter. If I were to bring back someone I'd rather bring back JR to pair with Rondo than Lin, I see more chemistry between those 2 than Rondo and Lin.

No harm in discussing it. I've seen articles about acquiring both of them already but not as a Batman/Robin duo.

Not thrilled with the idea either, neither is a sniper, I'm hoping one of the FA's we pick up is going to be a 3pt shooter. I like Lin, thought he would have been a valuable pickup for <3M, more so than AA but he's not an NBA starter. If I were to bring back someone I'd rather bring back JR to pair with Rondo than Lin, I see more chemistry between those 2 than Rondo and Lin.

I agree on paper that JR makes more sense to pair with Rondo, but I don't think he will ever be back on a team with PJ leading the front office. JR had his moments, but his tenure was such a roller coaster ride trying to figure out which JR you were going to get any given night.

mafra

Legend
Bringing in Rondo and Noah would be a big help for Melo, b/c those two command respect and set the tone... Albeit in different ways. This would be akin to what we had with Kidd and Wallace.

Noah is a local guy, so perhaps he comes back and accepts a re (like what West brought to Indy).

With Noah and Lopez... We would constantly have an anchor in the paint...

With Rondo, Linn, Wroten, and Grant we would finally have a decent G group (although I prefer Batum to Linn)... Then Melo and KP man the F positions... Backed up by LT and possibly DW.

Bringing in Rondo and Noah would be a big help for Melo, b/c those two command respect and set the tone... Albeit in different ways. This would be akin to what we had with Kidd and Wallace.

Noah is a local guy, so perhaps he comes back and accepts a re (like what West brought to Indy).

With Noah and Lopez... We would constantly have an anchor in the paint...

With Rondo, Linn, Wroten, and Grant we would finally have a decent G group (although I prefer Batum to Linn)... Then Melo and KP man the F positions... Backed up by LT and possibly DW.

I don't think Batum will even entertain an offer from us. I also have my doubts about Noah having any interest in coming to the Knicks since the only argument that says he will consider us is a connection to PJ and being from NYC, both of which seem unlikely to sway him to accept a back-up job with us, unless we grossly overpay him.

Rondo may even be more than we can get if a single other team is willing to pay what we offer, although outbidding Sacramento shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. Similarly, I think Charlotte is going to give us room to outbid them as well and for some reason, I'm guessing the rest of the NBA will remain lukewarm on Lin despite the good season.

mafra

Legend
The way I see the "interest" in Noah reports is if Noah can be had on our terms... Like you said, especially with teams flush with cash (and fact he may prefer a contender)... Most likely he can't be had on our terms...

Rondo seems like a fit, mainly bc of the supposed relationship he has with Melo (and fact is we ways seem to have to settle on choices C & D, so after all the top guards reject us... We'll overpay for RR.

Lin or Lawson or Jennings... I could see that happening. Or maybe a trade for a G we're not thinking about.

Kiyaman

Legend
If PJ sign Rondo n Lin to the Knicks roster in the offseason then that would be the real Phil Jackson we all known as an elite winner in the league.
Having Rondo n Lin along with combo guards Grant/Gallo, and making Lance Thomas and Thanis our 2 guards would give us a dynamic winning guard rotation for a 82 game season.
Knicks small-forwards Melo and D.Will would be able to shoot 3s all game long having Rondo n Lin leading the rotation point.
Head coach Hornacek will only have to get a big-man coach (not Rambis) to have Rolo/Quinn/and Willy Hernangomez protect the paint n glass in the rotation.

tiger0330

Legend
One of those Lin is an option articles by Keith Schlosser. If he's worth 12M like the article says Rondo and Conley have got to be woth 20M, read DeRozan doesn't want to go anywhere but Toronto and Houston could be possibility for Lin now that D'Antoni is there.

With the New York Knicks gearing up to improve its roster once again this offseason, many are wondering if the team will look to make a splash with a big time acquisition. That remains to be seen, but there's no doubt signing Jeremy Lin would represent the biggest 12-point-per-game splash New York could possibly make.

The guard who sparked Linsanity back in 2012 is coming off an 11.7-point-per-game campaign in Charlotte. What's more, even though he's interested in returning to the Hornets, he's likely to decline his player option for next season first.

His potential availability, paired up with Jeff Hornacek's desire to run a more uptempo style featuring a multitude of guards, could very well open the door for both sides to explore a potential reunion, according to CBS Sports.

After becoming a worldwide phenomenon under the bright lights of the Big Apple, Lin has carved out a very steady role for himself as one of the league's most reliable role players during stops in Houston, Los Angeles and Charlotte. Ironically enough, much of what he brings to the court is exactly what the Knicks have lacked in a floor general over the last couple of years. His style of play is probably even more sorely needed under a coach like Hornacek. He'd be a good fit, for the right price.

Lin has good instincts, and at 27, he can provide a team with a rather intelligent and steady veteran presence. He's level-headed and is someone who likes to attack the basket and slash through the lane. Lin can penetrate with the best of them. Such assertiveness is something New York has certainly missed.

An obvious upgrade over Jose Calderon, Lin could very well start in New York. He's a low-maintenance kind of guy who could just as easily provide a spark off the bench. He could provide a nice balance next to Jerian Grant, and whoever else the Knicks look to bring in at the point guard position.

Should he opt to explore the market this summer, he could look for a deal that commands as much as $12 million annually, according to Steve Kyler. Whereas this would likely price himself out of the Hornets' market, it could very well make him too pricey for the Knicks as well. One would hope such a salary does, anyway. Lin is a good player, but New York has many voids to fill. Offering him that much money wouldn't leave the team with much more flexibility to improve elsewhere, in addition.

That said, there's no doubt that Lin could help the team. His return to New York would rock the basketball world, perhaps even too much so. In talking to SNY.tv on TheKnicksBlog.com podcast back in April, Lin's former Knicks teammate Landry Fields suggested a return may also provide too much of a distraction.

Regardless of whether or not Lin would fill a modest role this time around, there's no denying the type of history and fandom he has here. What's more, questions regarding his chemistry with Carmelo Anthony would undoubtedly resurface -- at least early on. Money aside, the Knicks would need to explore and see if the positive outweighs the negative with such a potential acquisition.

Nevertheless, with a need at point guard and skills to fill the void, Lin represents a viable option worth exploring.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
Knowing how this organization is, I have a feeling that when all is said and done Jim Dolan will force Phil Jackson to give up the Knicks 2018 pick for a mediocre PG or a play-maker who is at the down side of his career.