Derrick Rose to the KNIcKs????

pat

Starter
the point is that we won this deal for the short term, the long term we wont know...it really depends on how well Grant develops but he was not being used the right way with Fisher and Rambis who suck at coaching.

Kevin Durant admitted that Rose makes them look better, and thats because players know how good Rose still is.
Still though I get the impression he does not want to be in NY and the biggest issue for the Knicks has been locker room chemistry. I can't see that that happening with D-Rose at the point.

Broadway

All Star
Still though I get the impression he does not want to be in NY and the biggest issue for the Knicks has been locker room chemistry. I can't see that that happening with D-Rose at the point.

There is still risk fans want to ignore...if the lure is to sign someone like Noah to a Max deal near Max deal because of he and Rose's love affair but if one or both aren't healthy then what? There's no risk still? Noah appears to be anchored to Rose so yes there's major risk, gotta see the forest through the trees.

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
There is still risk fans want to ignore...if the lure is to sign someone like Noah to a Max deal near Max deal because of he and Rose's love affair but if one or both aren't healthy then what? There's no risk still? Noah appears to be anchored to Rose so yes there's major risk, gotta see the forest through the trees.

this is the best recipe for mediocrity and never ever winning a ring or competing for one. Giving noah a huge deal accomplishes exactly what? it only ensures that noah will be able to financially set his future... This team, from picking a GM to the players only makes moves with a short term, patch work mentality. for the life of me, how can you run a multi million dollar organization this way..

Noah was a good player years ago, as was rose, now they are aging players who can play good at times.. but you will be paying a premium for non premium talent... There are a lot of risk here, risk that just are not worth it...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I get the risks in these moves, but people keep forgetting that Rose only has one year left. Would I have loved the trade to not have included Lopez without trading any other key pieces? Yeah, but now we could a good/great center. That part of the team would be filled in the starting line-up already. Noah grew up as a Knicks FAN. How many free agents can you say that about any team?

To me the key is getting a young/healthy bench (Crawford would be great because at 35 he's still very good and healthy). I'd like to see some of our guys from last season come back as that'd be make a solid bench (Derrick Williams, LT, Galloway).

Is this team as young as we'd like and have a great health history as we'd like? No, but we don't have near retirement players. These veterans and top quality players could help Porzingis. The Knicks are doing pretty good right now. Perfect? Maybe not, but don't act like this is awful decision making. We also gotta prepare to compete with some of those other teams. Kevin Durant going to a team such as the Warriors or Spurs could make them the top contenders for a loooong time. This off-season isn't the only big one for us. Next off-season we could make big moves again.

Broadway

All Star
This off-season isn't the only big one for us. Next off-season we could make big moves again.

Nor is it for any other team/the rest of the league. Cap going up is not exclusively static to the Knicks. Lots of teams will be capable of making moves next yr again. Also every name tied to the Knicks is not necessarily a good or best move to be made that's out there. Sometimes doing nothing is good, sometimes being organic is good and sometimes taking risks is good but not every move we make is good. You gotta know when to do each of these if not potentially simultaneously. Fans every yr find a way to applaud and/or be extremely supportive of those made.

Look no further than hiring Fisher, trading for Calderon, trading for Bargnani, signing Afflalo, signing Williams, signing O'Quinn, drafting Early...

Drafting Porzingis and signing Lopez were the somewhat decent moves we've made. Most of those outside of this have been bad or produced nothing at all.

jimkcchief88

All Star
If we get 70-80% of what Noah used to be id take it. Noah has won Defensive Player of the Year and received MVP votes. You have to remember we are in win-now mode which is fine with me. I cannot take another fruitless rebuild.. And it's funny Jamaal might be back after 80% of the old ko.com dubbed him "crawful" on chief:)

Broadway

All Star
If we get 70-80% of what Noah used to be id take it. Noah has won Defensive Player of the Year and received MVP votes. You have to remember we are in win-now mode which is fine with me. I cannot take another fruitless rebuild.. And it's funny Jamaal might be back after 80% of the old ko.com dubbed him "crawful" on chief:)

This franchise hasn't truly done a rebuild in ages. Fans impatience coupled with how this organization functions in general, is the reason we've been perpetually bad for well over a decade.

New New York

Quiet Storm
this is the best recipe for mediocrity and never ever winning a ring or competing for one. Giving noah a huge deal accomplishes exactly what? it only ensures that noah will be able to financially set his future... This team, from picking a GM to the players only makes moves with a short term, patch work mentality. for the life of me, how can you run a multi million dollar organization this way..

Noah was a good player years ago, as was rose, now they are aging players who can play good at times.. but you will be paying a premium for non premium talent... There are a lot of risk here, risk that just are not worth it...

Without question these moves (assuming Noah comes) are risky, but so was drafting Porzingas! It's called calculated risks! Now Brooklyn trading like 4 first rounders for an aging Pierce and Garnett or us trading an unprotected first for Andrea Bargnia are cases of wreckless risks, and you're right we don't need those!

But a one year deal for an oft injured Rose, is a calculated risk!

Noah (for the right price) is a risk you take! You speak as if they are passed their prime, but Noah is 28 and was just defensive player of the year 2 years ago and I think 4th in MVP that year.

I hear you on not wanting us to gamble, but losing has hurt our team's brand and we aren't getting top tier free agents to bite, so we have to make moves with a certain amount of risk...and frankly most NBA trades have a risk of some sort for both teams.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Although Derrick Rose isn't the player that he was years ago he will be light years ahead of Jose Calderon.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nor is it for any other team/the rest of the league. Cap going up is not exclusively static to the Knicks. Lots of teams will be capable of making moves next yr again. Also every name tied to the Knicks is not necessarily a good or best move to be made that's out there. Sometimes doing nothing is good, sometimes being organic is good and sometimes taking risks is good but not every move we make is good. You gotta know when to do each of these if not potentially simultaneously. Fans every yr find a way to applaud and/or be extremely supportive of those made.

Look no further than hiring Fisher, trading for Calderon, trading for Bargnani, signing Afflalo, signing Williams, signing O'Quinn, drafting Early...

Drafting Porzingis and signing Lopez were the somewhat decent moves we've made. Most of those outside of this have been bad or produced nothing at all.
All of these moves make SENSE though. We just got two proven guys, while both have struggled with injuries recently, neither are about to retire. You want to have a great team for a long time, unlike the 2012-2013 team, and this team could be. These veterans could actually help Porzingis more than have a rebuilding team around him, who knows.

I get that you don't want to be optimistic. This organization has done things over and over again that makes you not surprised anymore, but you can't say overall this wasn't solid decision making. Why should Phil have waited? Really no reason too. We upgraded significantly at PG, which, we ALL can agree on we needed, and that PG has one year left.

We're going after Courtney Lee now, who's young (edit: just looked it up and he's 30, but that's not old) and people are calling a 3 and D guy.

I mean, what would you have done differently? We lost Lopez unfortunately, but we're 99% likely to get Noah. We upgraded, man. Being impatient would have been offering Howard an immediate contract with a big deal. Offering Noah was a risk because of injuries, but so would have been offering Chris Paul if he was available. Heck, Durant was injured the season before. Westbrook's style of play is similar to how Rose was with a lot of attacking and had an injury in the 2014 Playoffs.

If you want to trade Melo for picks and build a young team, I get that, but as New New York said, this wasn't anything like the Nets with Pierce and Garnett and the Knicks with Bargnani.

mafra

Legend
Picks mean nothing... You have to be lucky (year you have a high lottery pick there's a franchise player coming out) and you have to pick right.

A few years ago we had a pick in the late teens... We took Shump over Faired... And, in that draft, K LeonArd almost slid into our laps... SA snagged him right before our pick.

D-Greene was taken in the 30s.

Gallinari and Hill were our lottery picks 8 years ago.

After CLE, the East is wide open. We have Melo & KP... Why not go for it? We're not sacrificing future cap space... We're just making ourselves relevant again.

So... Go on record now... Pick a guy you would've taken third... And in 5 years we'll revisit to see what that player is.