2016 NBA Free Agency Thread

tiger0330

Legend
Here's a head scratcher deal done by the Celts, Point guard Demetrius Jackson, the 45th pick in the 2016 draft, will sign a four-year, $5.5 million contract with the Boston Celtics, a league source confirmed to ESPN.

Paying a low 2nd rd pick 1st round money yet letting their 1st rounder Yabusele go to China seems insane, Celts have depth at the position so is Jackson that good?

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Here's a head scratcher deal done by the Celts, Point guard Demetrius Jackson, the 45th pick in the 2016 draft, will sign a four-year, $5.5 million contract with the Boston Celtics, a league source confirmed to ESPN.

Paying a low 2nd rd pick 1st round money yet letting their 1st rounder Yabusele go to China seems insane, Celts have depth at the position so is Jackson that good?

in a nutshell:

"Boston is essentially protecting its investment and utilizing available money to ensure Jackson stays under the team's long-term control. Second-round picks often settle for two-year deals at the minimum salary, which would pay only $543,471 this season. Teams are more commonly shunning these deals because over-performing second-round picks are in position to be signed away after two seasons, as drafting teams have only limited early Bird rights with which to retain them.

Jackson's deal will afford Boston the right of first refusal if he turns into a contributor at the NBA level. The Celtics executed a similar contract last season while inking 2015 second-round pick Jordan Mickey to a four-year, $5 million deal. Mickey, the No. 33 pick, got two guaranteed seasons at first-round money in exchange for being under the team's long-term control because the Celtics will hold full Bird rights by the end of his deal."

tiger0330

Legend
in a nutshell:

"Boston is essentially protecting its investment and utilizing available money to ensure Jackson stays under the team's long-term control. Second-round picks often settle for two-year deals at the minimum salary, which would pay only $543,471 this season. Teams are more commonly shunning these deals because over-performing second-round picks are in position to be signed away after two seasons, as drafting teams have only limited early Bird rights with which to retain them.

Jackson's deal will afford Boston the right of first refusal if he turns into a contributor at the NBA level. The Celtics executed a similar contract last season while inking 2015 second-round pick Jordan Mickey to a four-year, $5 million deal. Mickey, the No. 33 pick, got two guaranteed seasons at first-round money in exchange for being under the team's long-term control because the Celtics will hold full Bird rights by the end of his deal."
Ultimately it boils down to whether you think the player is good enough. I guess the Celts think the kid is good enough despite them having IT, Smart, Bradley, and Rozier that can play PG, the kid isn't going to get much playing time and that's a lot of money to be paying someone to sit on the bench as a DNP.

The Knicks gave a similar deal to Willie H. but I think the Knicks think he'll get playing time unlike Jackson. You don't give those deals to everyone, Knicks didn't give CleEarly a deal like that and it looks like they made the right decision.

Broadway

All Star
Great for him to have throwback guts to stick with them another term...

You officially have my respects WestBrook...LEGEND from here on out no matter the results

tiger0330

Legend
Great for him to have throwback guts to stick with them another term...

You officially have my respects WestBrook...LEGEND from here on out no matter the results
Agreed, I thought he was a goner for sure after it was reported that he wasn't going to sign an extension. The Oklahoma governor should give him that job she promised to KD if he signed.

Broadway

All Star
I think he has the best chance to stick, reminds me of Galloway.

Knicks also signed JP Tokoto to a training camp contract. Played in the DLeague last year after being selected by the Sixers in the 2nd round.

Randle has a real chance no doubt. I think he'll eat into Jennings minutes heavily. Tokoto is every athletic can defend but not sure if he has a fit with this yrs squad.

Just because Westbrook signed that big extension doesn't mean he won't demand a trade if the Thunder are a losing team, even by this year's trade deadline. This is the NBA we are talking about.

tiger0330

Legend
Just because Westbrook signed that big extension doesn't mean he won't demand a trade if the Thunder are a losing team, even by this year's trade deadline. This is the NBA we are talking about.
I wonder if they'll make the playoffs? Oladipo is really going to have to step up and prove he deserves that max contract extension he wants, if he doesn't RW is the only who can score on that squad.

Broadway

All Star

It could happen but I doubt it, and if Russ is as good as he's proven to be and fans think he is, he'll find a way to make OKC remain relevant. Until then no reason to think along those lines other than what he's shown us which is...

He also hasn't been endearing to any KD questions about their relationship and if there is still a bromance left. He's basically been like "KD can't get this work when I see him". Dude is a Rastafarian and rare breed in this booty buddy self entitlement league. Russ calculated this

Broadway

All Star

It could happen but I doubt it. If Russ is as good as he's proven to be and fans think he is, he'll find a way to make OKC remain relevant. Until then no reason to think along those lines other than what he's shown us which is...

He also hasn't been endearing to any KD questions about their relationship and if there is still a bromance. Dude is a Rastafarian and rare breed in this booty buddy self entitlement league. Russ calculated this

tiger0330

Legend
"Loyalty is something I stand by"

Noble words by Russ but unfortunately Durants fathers advice to make the selfish decision is probably going to mean a chip for Durant before Russ ever gets one.

If the Warriors run away with it next year, it might set up for a dynasty if KD opts in and then signs a long term deal with the Warriors.

It would be better for the competitive balance of the NBA and the future of the NBA if the Warriors flop next season.

Kiyaman

Legend

The past 6 seasons Westbrook all-around performance prove to be the best PG each season.
No other PG in the league has come close to match Westbrook all-around performance each season.

If the Blazers PG Lillard strong leadership could take his team to playoff without LaMarcus Aldridge.
Westbrook has to meet the same challenge without Durant for the next 2 seasons.
And Harden has to meet the same challenge without D.Howard for the next 2 seasons.

tiger0330

Legend
Yi signs with the Lakers. Not a bad deal for him or the Lakers, Yi was on a 5 year 16M deal with his Chinese team so he's making 5M more per year and the Lakers only have a one yr committment to him. If I were Kupchak I would give him an add'l year team option so he can be a trade chip after his first year.

Surprised how many think he won't be a rotation player in the NBA, he looks like he's gotten better playing in China and Will Bynum who played with him in China said he's gotten better since his first NBA stint.

Marc Stein ESPN Senior Writer

Yi Jianlian update: ESPN sources say the Lakers are now in the midst of finalizing a one-year deal in the $8 million range w/the China star.