SG or C?

mafra

Legend
Sure, we have 30 million to spend... But, let's be realistic... Chances are our "top" free agent signing will cost somewhere in the vicinity of 15 million per...

Think Bazemore or Beal, Noah or Howard, the odds are we can snag a "legit" starter at either SG or C.

Why? Well, after that we need to re-sign our guys (LT & & KS & DW & LG), which means we probably have to break up that other 15 mil into 2-3 pieces to round out the roster.

Gonna be a tough call which way to go. Smart move is to target a starting SG, add a J-Crawford, then sign a Mozgov or something... This is a guard league after all...

We definitely need a shooter and s perimeter (wing) defender.

I think Evan Turner, J-Noah, & Crawford would be my 3 targets. Might be cutting it close... But you might be able to swing this.

I would target Noah mainly bc he compliments what we already have, possesses all those intangibles ROLO had, he has chemistry already with Rose, and is a high IQ / quality passing big.

How high would I go? That depends mainly on what it costs me to grab 2 SGs... 15-18 mil would probably be what's necessary. For Noah, it might be worth overspending (short term deal).

After that? There's not a big I would chase... Pau only if he signed for 10-12 mil... Forget Howard. BB from TOR makes sense at 10-12... Maybe even Jefferson.

Now... Would it be wise to gamble on Beal? Tough call given his restricted status... DeRozan would be ideal... After that, Turner and Crawford makes the most sense.

The point is... If Noah balls... Go chase the scoring guards.

A bunch of teams have to spend a lot of bucks to reach their floor... This means tier 3 free agents will be given some hefty contracts...

Anyway, going to be a wild weekend. Durant would be nice, DeRozan too... But Noah, Turnet and Crawford make us a 50 won team.

Broadway

All Star
We're not getting Beal, we're not getting Derozan, more than likely not getting Bazemore. We might be able to snag the Turners/Waiters/Crawfords/Crabbes of the world but that's going to be as good as it gets at guard.

We're not getting Horford, I doubt we're that high on Howard, puncher's chance at Gasol(he stays put or goes to Spurs). We may be in the ballpark with for Festuss/Biyombos/Lees/Mahinmis etc etc

We're not winning 50gms with those additions tho

tiger0330

Legend
Whatever Phil does I hope he signs some foundation pieces, young guys with upside so we don't have this revolving door every year.

I like Gasol and Crawford but a double dose of 2 35 year olds isn't what I want to see this off-season. Saying that I wouldn't mind signing Gasol for a 10-13M for a couple of years, at that salary he would be a bargain.

SG, 3 and D, Bazemore preferably or Courtney Lee.

Broadway

All Star
According to Begley we're focused on Bigs and not guards...considering cap spending and salary summer demands.

tiger0330

Legend
Anyone got an opinion on Meyers Leonard, he's restricted but big, athletic 5 that has 3 pt range. Would the Blazers match if the Knicks offered him Rolo money?

mafra

Legend
I think SG is a bigger priority... but options are limited and not worth it to overspend.

So, this puts us in the C mix... Problem is, I think Noah will have bigger offers than I would feel comfortable going... I don't want Howard... So, Mozgov, BB, or the 2 big Als?

Broadway

All Star
Anyone got an opinion on Meyers Leonard, he's restricted but big, athletic 5 that has 3 pt range. Would the Blazers match if the Knicks offered him Rolo money?

Not a bad guy to key in on Tig(Melo to Mleo...lol), we have Mozgov as a backup option to Noah at the moment

Kiyaman

Legend
I still can not get over losing our DEFENSE in our best center Rolo and our best athletic PG Grant on the roster .....

Here are a few things the top FA stars look at about signing with the Knicks
The NY Knicks represent ...
1) high tax bracket
2) Loser president
3) A new coach that will let Melo/Rose/KP shoot 30% from fg for 40 minute a night.
4) Two franchise ball-hoggers in Melo/Rose that dont play defense nor do they run back on defense to defend fastbreak, nor do the two franchise players push the ball so their teammates could score on a fastbreak.

We may be able to pick-up one or two 2nd tier players by offering them 1 tier player money$$$.
Dwight Howard wants out of Houston and away from ball-hog Beard leadership .. i doubt D.Howard would accept the Knicks 2 ball-hoggers having a guard friendly head-coach, and a 2nd year PF that is clueless of playing inside the paint

mafra

Legend
Here's Hornachek's answer to this question:

?They?re both pretty important,? Hornacek said of their starting-lineup openings. ?Definitely we need an experienced big in there. The two-guard probably should be able to find someone. We have enough scorers. We need a guy at the two-spot who can help run the offense, get kick-out 3s.

?We don?t necessarily need a two-guard who can create a bunch of plays because we should have enough guys able to do that. So when you look at it that way, maybe the
may be a little bit more important of a position right now.?

"Yeah, you got to play defense," Hornacek said. "And I thought they were okay last year playing defense. Middle of the pack. We want to try to bump that up to top-10 (in the league) defensively. Using the length of Kristaps, if we have another big out there that's two guys who can cover a lot of ground."​

Last edited: