The Knicks 2016-17 Guards are .....

Kiyaman

Legend
PG: Rose, Jennings
SG: Lee, Holliday, Sasha

What! Only 2 PG!
And both PG has been riddle-down the past two-seasons as unpredictable injury-prone players.
Will this be another Knicks season we blame the PG?

Well we do have 3 defensive SG that can defend both PG n SG position .. but none of the 3 SG could lead the point if either Rose/Jennings is out with injury.

Did Phil make the right move by signing Jennings? Yes! if Phil was going to keep Galloway too.
The New York Knicks recently made combo-guard Galloway an unrestricted free agent when they rescinded a $2.7 million qualifying offer they had extended to him to clear cap space and sign guard Brandon Jennings.

Kiyaman

Legend
Do we need another vet PG ???

PGs availalbe still:
Norris Cole
Aaron Brooks
Steve Blake
Nando De Colo
Shane Larkin
Pablo Prigioni
Donald Sloan
Spencer Dinwiddie
Andre Miller
Ty Lawson
Andrew Goudelock
Jorge Gutierrez
Jordan Farmar
Bryce Cotton
Xavier Munford
Raymond Felton
Mario Chalmers
Isaiah Canaan
Andre Miller
Only Chalmers is intriguing to me.

tiger0330

Legend
Some of these guys are gone. Some are damaged goods like Lawson and some are looking for better deals than the vets min like Coles and Chalmers. Some suck like Dinwiddie and Cotton. I'm hoping that kid Randle from our summer league team can make the team as the 3rd PG off the bench.

Felton Clips
Brooks Pacers
Canaan Bulls
Prigoni Rockets
Sloan China

I'm not too worried. Worst case scenario, PJ can probably pull yet another low price European out of his ass who in limited minutes could run the point better than any of the guys listed above in this thread.

tiger0330

Legend
Some of these guys are gone. Some are damaged goods like Lawson and some are looking for better deals than the vets min like Coles and Chalmers. Some suck like Dinwiddie and Cotton. I'm hoping that kid Randle from our summer league team can make the team as the 3rd PG off the bench.

Felton Clips
Brooks Pacers
Canaan Bulls
Prigoni Rockets
Sloan China
The Knicks may lose this kid like they lost N'Dour last season to the Mavs. That summer league squad was garbage without this kid.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/22/chasson-randle-could-be-natural-fit-as-knicks-third-point-guard/

LAS VEGAS — Summer-league sensation point guard Chasson Randle has narrowed down his choice to three teams, including the Knicks, according to his agent.

Randle fit in so smoothly running the point at the Orlando summer league because he ran a lot of triangle at his alma mater, Stanford. After going undrafted in 2015, Randle played last season for CEZ Nymburg, winning the Czech league title.
The Knicks want a third point guard for the roster, something coach Jeff Hornacek particularly craves due to the injury histories of Derrick Rose and Brandon Jennings.

“We’re in discussions with the Knicks, and he’s narrowed it down to two other teams,’’ his agent Kevin Bradbury told The Post. “For a young guy, it’s all about situations. He’s trying to figure out what’s the best fit and how he’d work with the Knicks.”

Randle played in the summer league last year with the Warriors, who could be a team in the mix. The Warriors and Knicks each invited Randle to training camp last year but without guaranteed money, so he skipped off to Europe.

The Knicks don’t have cap space left, so the most Randle can get is a guaranteed rookie minimum deal at $565,000 per. The Knicks could be outbid if one of the two undisclosed teams has cap space. Knicks president Phil Jackson also can offer Randle multiple years and offer up the triangle.

“It’s similar to the offense he ran in college,’’ Bradbury said. “So it was a no-brainer to come here to summer league. It’s definitely a version of what he ran, and that’s why he felt so comfortable.’’
Randle, Stanford’s all-time leading scorer, missed the first two summer-league games with a hip pointer, and the Knicks’ offense suffered, averaging a pathetic 48.5 points.
With Randle running the show with flair, that mark nearly doubled to 96 points over the final three games. Randle averaged 18.3 points and five assists in the small sample, shooting 47.6 percent from the field and 55 percent from 3-point land.
The Knicks have 14 guaranteed pacts, but it’s very possible only one of the two rookie big men — Marshall Plumlee and Maurice Ndour — will make the 15-man roster. The Knicks also plan to invite undrafted shooting guard Ron Baker to camp on a partial guarantee, but he’s a roster longshot. The players who don’t make the 15-man roster likely would be encouraged to join the D-League Westchester Knicks as NBA free agents.

CoolClyde

agree, Randle is the man, the missing piece, the cog in the wheel. the third NYK PG, can shoot 3's with relative ease, drive and thrive in the paint, dish and swish, AND he played a form of the triangle at Stanford, where he was all-time leading scorer. Randle's also very fast, and smart, and plays very cool, effortless. He gets my vote for final PG slot, to shore up the team. At least I hope he takes what Knicks are offering, and not be swayed by a little more money now, rather than being part of the Knicks org for years to come.

tiger0330

Legend
agree, Randle is the man, the missing piece, the cog in the wheel. the third NYK PG, can shoot 3's with relative ease, drive and thrive in the paint, dish and swish, AND he played a form of the triangle at Stanford, where he was all-time leading scorer. Randle's also very fast, and smart, and plays very cool, effortless. He gets my vote for final PG slot, to shore up the team. At least I hope he takes what Knicks are offering, and not be swayed by a little more money now, rather than being part of the Knicks org for years to come.
Looking at him for a combo guard role, he can flat out score but I didn't see much in summer league of him being a passer and facilitator. Knicks are at a definite disadvantage in signing him, they can only offer him minimum money and a limited role as well, if I were him I'd want minutes on a team if I were only getting a rookie minimum contract.

Kiyaman

Legend
It's August, and we still only have 2 PG ...
Rose and Jennings
...Galloway or Grant would've been the perfect young Combo-Guard to fill the 3rd PG on the roster.
I'm hoping big on Randle making the team now .. we will need his young talent through the season.

Our X-Factor remains how Melo performs with his new supporting cast ..
The Noah/Rose/Jennings trio have the veteran potential to open up Melo's game.
We know Melo is our best scorer the first 3 quarters of the game ..
It has always been Melo's 4th quarter performance that been needing teammates help in MSG.
Letting Noah run the offense from the key may be the fire we need to get Melo/Rose/Jenning/KP to average 30 or more points in the 4th qtr.

Broadway

All Star
Ron Baker signs. Hopefully some of these kids will get some burn. I'm gonna refer to him as Bakers-Man if he's cookin/hot with his play

tiger0330

Legend
Ron Baker signs. Hopefully some of these kids will get some burn. I'm gonna refer to him as Bakers-Man if he's cookin/hot with his play

Baker can't play PG, Randle is a better fit as a 3rd PG and SG, he hasn't signed elsewhere yet so there's still hope.

Nothing exceptional about Baker that I saw if he can't shoot. He needs to be a 40% 3pt shooter to stick.

Kiyaman

Legend
Baker can't play PG, Randle is a better fit as a 3rd PG and SG, he hasn't signed elsewhere yet so there's still hope.

Nothing exceptional about Baker that I saw if he can't shoot. He needs to be a 40% 3pt shooter to stick.

Not signing Randle to a contract are the part i dont understand bout Phil

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks signed Randle to a training camp contract. We can bring 20 guys to training camp and we have 14 guys signed so there's a spot for him as the 15th man.

In other news Jimmer is on his way to China reportedly signing a 1 year/1M contract with the Shanghai Sharks. Have to tell Bondy of the Daily News that the kid is from Glens Falls and not Long Island, what a bozo.

Knicks signed Randle to a training camp contract. We can bring 20 guys to training camp and we have 14 guys signed so there's a spot for him as the 15th man.

In other news Jimmer is on his way to China reportedly signing a 1 year/1M contract with the Shanghai Sharks. Have to tell Bondy of the Daily News that the kid is from Glens Falls and not Long Island, what a bozo.

I really like Randle's chances to be on our bench come opening day. With Rose and Jennings as our 1 and 2 in the PG rotation, Randle could make himself the vital healthy 3rd string PG if he does anything in camp resembling his Summer League play.

Kiyaman

Legend
Interesting piece on Derek Rose ...

Truth be told, I've warmed up to basketball metrics over the years. I still hold them in the same manner I did when they first busted out on the scene and that is that they were conversation statistics that assisted in making an overall judgement.

I still value actual production stats i.e. minutes played, field goals made, turnovers etc, in very high regard, which brings us to the discussion happening in NBA circles and on NBA Twitter surrounding Derrick Rose.

The narrative surrounding Rose is that he's not the player he was before injuries -- that is unless you speak to his trainer Rob McClanaghan and Oklahoma City Thunder superstar Russell Westbrook.

"I worked out Derrick and Russell (Westbrook) together," McClanaghan told reporters last summer. "It's amazing how competitive those guys are in workouts. Unlike many guys in this league, those guys together push each other. It was like getting back to pre-draft '08. Like Russell said (of Rose), everything is back to where it used to be. Derrick's timing is back and mentally he's in a very good place."

After an injury set him back early in the year, Rose had moments where he looked as physically dominant as ever and at only 27 years old, he's poised for a very productive year following his 66 game, 2,000 minutes played effort from 2015-16.

Critics will point to his advanced stats and his overall point guard rankings as signs that he'll never be the player he was and that the Knicks made a big mistake in acquiring him for Robin Lopez, Jerian Grant and Jose Calderon this past June.

Last year, Rose ranked 44th in Player Efficiency Rating among point guards, which is misleading on several fronts. First off, he's not a point guard, he's a scoring guard who triggers the offense with his penetration. PER rewards players who shoot, and make, a lot of three point field goals like Stephen Curry -- whose 31.56 PER led all point guards.

Kiyaman

Legend
Interesting piece on Brandon Jennnings ...

Brandon Jennings hasn't even stepped onto the NBA hardwood as a Knick yet, but he's already on his way to becoming a fan favorite.

Upon joining New York, Jennings quickly took to social media to declare how excited he was to play in the world's most famous arena. Now, he already has a championship in his sights and seems to understand how special it would be to win one in the heart of New York City.

If that weren't enough, he's most recently been participating in a discussions amongst fans about which player had the better career: Reggie Miller or Robert Horry. Knicks fans have a certain disdain for Miller for obvious reasons, and Jennings' motivation to favor Horry's career stems from the fact that the forward won seven NBA champions. Miller came away with none.

Jennings is going to serve as quite the offensive spark plug off the bench, and as such, fans are going to love him and take very quickly to his style of play. Someone who can score in bunches, Jennings is going to embrace all of the pressure-filled crunch time moments. A 39 percent shooter from the field and 35 percent shooter from deep over the course of his career, consistency is certainly something he's lacked over the years. Still, he's also proven to be a clutch player when his team needs him most. That should bode well coming off the bench, or even filling in, if and when Derrick Rose's health become a cause for concern this coming season.

Jennings himself has plenty to prove. After an injury-riddled campaign of his own last season, he will assume a reserve role in New York, more or less for the first time in his career. After signing an one-year contract, he's will almost certainly be out looking for redemption.

If the Knicks can bottle up that certain clutch gene from Jennings and channel it in a more positive direction, they'll reap the benefits. He's a hot-and-cold player, but when he gets going, there's very little that can slow him (or his respective team) down. Much of what Jennings brings to the table, especially figuring as he steps into the sixth man role, is similar to what J.R. Smith provided the Knicks. At this point, that would certainly appear to also include his mannerisms on social media as well.

So far, this is all good news. As much of a wild card as Smith was, the Knicks have since lacked many of the positive things he provided since his departure. There aren't too many players who can assume this role in such a way, but if Jennings can give his new team and its fan base a similar taste, he'll catapult his way into becoming a fan favorite mightily fast.

tiger0330

Legend
Anyone think Horn can play DRose and BJ together? I don't think he can but it would have been nice if one of these guys were more of a combo guard and had size so you could play both of them at the same time. As it looks can Jennings get more than 20 mins a game?

Kiyaman

Legend
Anyone think Horn can play DRose and BJ together? I don't think he can but it would have been nice if one of these guys were more of a combo guard and had size so you could play both of them at the same time. As it looks can Jennings get more than 20 mins a game?

Great Point .. D.Rose and B.Jennings creative-offensive tandem having coach Horn backcourt techniques could give us an explosive crunchtime to get over the edge as a top scoring team. Its Rose and Jennings career defensive-effort that scares me the most in the 4th quarter.
As a team we been having low poor scoring in the 4th quarter from our star-scorer Melo the past few seasons, we need veteran scorers to give Melo a huge help in putting 25 to 32 points on the board in the 4th quarter to have an advantage of out scoring our opponents.
Yes .. I do see signs of me regretting a few games the upcoming season by Phil getting rid of our two upcoming young combo-guards in Grant and Gallo, that were getting their chemistry act as a backcourt tandem together at the closing of last season.
I still believe we will need to sign a Guard as the 15th man during the pre-season games ......